Start by marking “Tell Me When I'm Dead (Tell Me When I'm Dead #1)” as Want to Read:
Tell Me When I'm Dead (Tell Me When I'm Dead #1)

Tell Me When I'm Dead

(Tell Me When I'm Dead #1)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  238 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Tell Me When I’m Dead is a gritty, pulse-pounding read that never loses its sense of humor, for an original and well-rounded work of zombie fiction.” — Self-Publishing Review

“In this thrilling novel, Ramirez details an antihero’s struggles for family and love, and to find beauty in a world ruled by the dead.” — Readers’ Favorite

“Chilling, pulse racing, and hugely compellin
Kindle Edition, Second Edition, 412 pages
Published July 5th 2018 by Glass Highway (first published August 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me When I'm Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me When I'm Dead

Travis Luedke
Revenge of the zombie ex-girlfriend - an instant cult classic

Steven Ramirez brings on a hard-hitting splattergore zombie thriller, told by the ultimate anti-hero, Dave. Dave's not brave, he's not honorable, he's not a muscle-bound MMA fighter or an ex-military sniper. He's a recovering alcoholic, with a past that just won't quit.

The one thing you learn about Dave, he's good with an axe.

Dave had it all going for him, Holly - the perfect wife, a good job at Staples, clean and sober, dumped his los
Simon Okill
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Tell Me When I'm Dead should not be read while eating a plate of spaghetti. Steven Ramirez has hit the nailheads on the head, preferably with an axe in full swing. Those aren't the guys you should be scared of, it's the draggers who have their cake and eat it, usually with a liberal helping of Kensington Gore.
Dave Pulaski has been a loser all his young life until he meets Holly. She cleans up his act, gets him to give up alcohol and that means his best friend Jim too. But Jim is like a lost pup
Robin Goodfellow
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-I received this book from Reader's Favorites. Below is my honest review.

Tell Me When I’m Dead: Book One, by Steven Ramirez, is a horror thriller about a normal man who risked his life to save his loved ones, all the while learning what it means to be alive.

Dave had met the woman of his dreams, and was now in the process of getting his life together. But when an old friend goes missing, Dave is plucked out of his comfortable life and attempts to deal with the unwanted interruption. Things spira
Christoph Fischer
"Tell Me When I'm Dead" by Steven Ramirez was recommended to me by a friend and although I don't often read Zombie stories I took his advice and downloaded the book. I was not disappointed.

Right from the first page the powerful prose and action packed story pulled me into this excellently written book. The opening is an excellent preview of the gore, action and fast paced action to come. First however we learn more about our hero, David, a regular guy and dry alcoholic who just recently rebuilt
Nola Arganbright
A wonderful and exciting book. This is my first Zombie read and I am so thrilled that I went outside my comfort level to read this book. The characters are strong and so real to me. They were for the most part everyday people who met the challenge. I know the story was fiction but it was so believable that I think it could happen. I hated putting the book down. I hope that others will take the chance to read "Tell Me When I'm Dead". I am ready to find another Stephen Ramirez book and start readi ...more
Laura Laska
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ZOMBTASTIC!!! Action packed and an exciting page turner. Wonderful characters! I'm looking forward to reading more of Mr. Ramirez's other books. EXCELLENT!
Rebecca Waldron
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not your typical zombie story.

I really enjoyed this book. I'm all about zombies and this book was totally different from the norm. The characters were very well developed and the entire story flowed flawlessly. There was humor, gore, freakiness and definitely some heart stopping moments.
If you enjoy a good zombie book but are sick of the same old, same old then you should definitely give this book serious consideration! Well worth it!
Victoria ~
Three and a half Stars!
Have I ever mentioned how much I hate zombies? This book is by turns funny and dramatic and frightening, but ever entertaining.

I won't read it again because of the subject matter, but this book was well thought out and well written, I recommend it to those for whom the subject matter is not terrifying.
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)

Imagine if your personal life was in shambles AND you had a zombie apocalypse to worry about. In Tell Me When I'm Dead, that's exactly the situation our main character, Dave, finds himself in. He's a man with what he believes to be a happy life. He's stopped drinking, has a beautiful wife who wants to start a family with him, and plans to go to community college. Dave used to drink all the time with his former frien
Travis Starnes
I will start by saying the book is competently written. The zombie outbreak and how it works is all well-reasoned and the books pacing is solid. Following the main character David through the various hurdles he faces in living in this world and keeping his family together is totally liner and not hard to follow. I liked the addition of the military contractor akin to Black Water and the local opposition to them. The one problem with zombie fiction is it tends to become a one track people against ...more
Beth  (YA Books Central)
I saw other reviews on goodreads regarding this book and they all said how good it was so I was ecstatic when the author agreed to send me an arc to review! With this being the month of October and Halloween coming around the corner...I was definitely in the mood for a good zombie story and this one hit the mark!!

The book throws you right into the zombie infested world in the first chapter. It takes you to a scene where Dave wasnt sure if he was dead or alive or if he would survive.

I will say t
Heather Mullaney
Let me start with I have never been a huge zombie fan. I could take it or leave it pretty much, although I do have to admit I liked Shawn of the Dead because of the humor. As far as Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead...eh. Before this book, I have only read one other zombie style book. I found I liked this book from the start. It starts with Dave Pulaski, beaten to a pulp and stuck in a walk-in fridge full of kegs of beer, thinking about how his life went to Hell real quick. Dave is a simple guy ...more
Sarah Overvaag
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating and fast paced!

I enjoyed this book a lot. The main character is far from your typical “hero” type, and that’s probably what makes you root for him. I liked the different scenario where the zombies have some sort of memory of who they once were, it was a refreshing take on my favorite type of book.
Denise
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I typically do not like zombie books. I figured I would try this one. I'm so glad I did. This book was a great read. I love the story line. It kept me wanting to read more. I had a hard time putting it down. I love the characters. They were all great. With so many interesting characters, it's hard to say who my favorite was. Well written. A definite must read. Recommended.
Debbie jones
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review m

I loved your book.I am a walking dead fan and so many of these books are boring but yours was awesome I loved every page.I can't wait to read book two. You are a very talented author. Hope to enjoy more of your books.
Jason Mueller
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steven Ramirez hit a home run with “Tell Me When I’m Dead”!!!
Fast paced, fun read, well thought out characters and plot!
Zombies, guns, rogue government contractors, militia’s and let’s not forget the crazy chick you had an affair with and now wants you dead………… sounds like my life……….
Andrew Troth
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. A real page-turner. Well written throughout, the story grips you right from the beginning and doesn't let go. Unputdownable.
Will be keeping an eye out for more of Steven's work in the future.
Mark
May 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tell Me When I’m Dead by Steven Ramirez August 2013 Zombie fiction 2.49/5

This is a book about a zombie apocalypse centered on one town in northern California. It follows an unreliable main character who is fighting alcoholism and marriage problems all while zombies are slowly appearing. This book is kind of an odd duck. There are very few grammatical mistakes, which I appreciate.

It opens on a scene where the MC is in a situation that seems hopeless and flashes back to the beginning of the plague
Connie Picard
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice change

One of the things I really enjoyed about this book was the "hero". Unlike many books in this genre, the lead character was wonderfully flawed. It gave a nice touch of "reality" to the story. He was human with all the faults and failings. Not some super hero battling the undead, he could very well be your neighbor.

The book did get a little preachy towards the end with the bible references here n there, but really not anything that distracted from the storyline. I do wish however, th
Rick E Burigana
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding writer!

Once I started reading I couldn’t put it down. The characters are well written and are portrayed as being believable without having gone overboard, which other authors have done to theirs. Thanks for a great first book in the series, I hope the second is as amazing as this one was.
David Van Dreal
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really and truly wanted to enjoy this novel. I love the genre. I am not even sure that I can pinpoint why it just didn't rate 3 plus stars. For some reason, I just stopped caring about the characters. Were I a survivor, I would NOT want to run across this group. I would be more confident on my own.

Spanky
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tell me...A1 zombie book

This is one very well written zombie apocalypse story. I stayed glued to my Kindle, not wanting to put it down. Can't wait to get to parts 2 and 3.
If you are a zombie freak like me, what are you waiting for? Get it now.
Sara
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks
Good read. Zombie/Infected stories aren't new but this story kept me interested. I liked the characters and the writing style. Recommended.
Tracy
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed

Pretty good book. I really like the way the main character found his faith in the world. Will most likely read the remainder of the series
Kathy
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Read

This was a very well written book. Fast paced almost from the beginning. Action packed. Enjoyed it very much. Super
Deirdre Keller
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

I give it a 5 it is an amazing book for more mature readers (only because of violence) the only bad part is that book ends
Jason Nadal
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great quick read, pretty compelling flawed main character.
Leigha Craig
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been months (sad and splatter-free months) since I've seen a new episode of The Walking Dead so I've been jonesing for my next quality hit of the undead for quite some time. When I saw on Goodreads that there was an author offering free copies of a "splattergore" zombie book called TELL ME WHEN I'M DEAD in return for an honest and unbiased review I jumped on that like it was a twitching pile of innards at a zombie buffet. Num num!

But then...have you ever heard the saying, "you can never h
Brian Manville
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia
** Disclosure: The author provided me a complimentary copy of his book in exchange for a review. No other relationship is to be implied or inferred from reading this review. **

Dave Pulaski is IMO an anti-hero, but not one you typically find in literature. He is the quintessential idiot; a man who makes bad choices and keeps right on making them in spite of circumstances shining favorably upon him. Even in times of stress, he rashly wants to do things that would endanger his well-being. He grew u
Toni
Review also on My Book Addiction as part of #zOctober2013 :)

Actual rating: 4.5/5

This is one helluva zombie book! Steven Ramirez takes us on a bloody, terrifying ride through this hell on Earth he’s created, giving us plenty of backstory to skillfully develop his awesome characters.

The story begins with Dave, our main character, hiding in a cold storage area with “draggers” pounding on the door, desperate to rip into his flesh. We’re given a quick glimpse of what the present day apocalypse is all
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Shadow Box
  • The Shepherd
  • State of Decay: Part One
  • The Beautiful Dead (The Beautiful Dead, #1)
  • Odium 1.5 (The Dead Saga, #1.5)
  • Blood and Loss (Cassandra Myles, Witch, #1)
  • Time of Death: Induction (Time of Death, #1)
  • 100 Days in Deadland (Deadland Saga, #1)
  • Demise of the Living (Domain of the Dead #3)
  • Undead L.A. 1
  • The Most Uncommon Cold I: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse
  • Sanctuary
  • Ancient Blood: A Novel of the Hegemony (The Order Saga, #1)
  • Darker Things (The Lockman Chronicles, #1)
  • Dying Days
  • Dead Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. One Beer at a Time
Steven Ramirez is the author of the acclaimed horror thriller series Tell Me When I'm Dead. A former screenwriter responsible for the funny, bloody, and action-packed movie 'Killers,' he has also published Chainsaw Honeymoon, a comedic young adult novel, and Come As You Are, a horror collection. Steven lives in Los Angeles. He enjoys Mike and Ikes with his Iced Caffè Americano, doesn't sleep on pl ...more

Tell Me When I'm Dead (3 books)
  • Dead Is All You Get (The Dead Series #2)
  • Even The Dead Will Bleed (Tell Me When I'm Dead #3)
“We are born. We die. Somewhere in between we live. And how we live is up to us. That’s it.” 13 likes
“What I learned in this tragedy was the eternal lesson of good people going bad.” 13 likes