Start by marking “That Which Grows Wild” as Want to Read:
That Which Grows Wild

That Which Grows Wild

That Which Grows Wild collects sixteen dark and masterful short stories by award-winning author Eric J. Guignard. Equal parts whimsy and weird, horror and heartbreak, this debut collection traverses the darker side of the fantastic through vibrant and harrowing tales that depict monsters and regrets, hope and atonement, and the oddly changing reflection that turns back at ...more
Published July 1st 2018 by Cemetery Dance Publications

To ask other readers questions about That Which Grows Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Which Grows Wild

Jimmy Tam
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stellar collection of short fiction stories. Some of my favorites were:
*Last Days of the Gunslinger, John Amos, where it’s a cowboy gunslinger vs. alien creatures, in a flood.
*Certain Sights of an Afflicted Woman, where a woman with an infected eye is able to see germs, and tries to avoid them during the plague that kills everyone else.
* A Serving of Nomu Sashimi, the most horrific meal of childhood darlings
* Last night, where a perpetual full moon causes perpetual werewolves
And all the other o
Tracy Robinson
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delicious darkness in these tales. Writing review for Sci Fi and Scary to post this week.

Here’s my full review!

These “16 Tales of Dark Fiction” make up such a good collection. Almost all of these stories were 4 or 5 stars for me and for this review I decided to highlight my favorites.

A Case Study in Natural Selection and How It Applies to Love

For me, this was the best possible introduction to the collection. Engaging writing, a beautifully developed post-apocalyptic world, and a unique premise,
Judi
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m currently reading this: THAT WHICH GROWS WILD by author Eric J. Guignard and Wow, this author is amazing! This is a collection of short stories and so far they are all written well and they keep your interest entirely. They are dark stories but not really horror. More emotional, and thoughtful fantasy, or whats called speculative fiction.
The first story is near-future about teens finding love as the planet overheats. Then the next story is about a Western gunslinger who protects a group of c
Vivian Metzger
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eric J. Guignard’s collection was recommended to me, and I’m glad it was. Gives me new hope for horror fiction, being his writing can be smart and thoughtful, with only hints of horror sometimes, and still be engaging. Theres no explicit material, no stereotype monsters. Just good stories, good writing. Hoping for more of his work to be made available.
Ian Welke
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eric Guignard knows his way around the short story. Both in editing and writing, he’s consistently involved in the best short story collections and anthologies.

That Which Grows Wild is consistently great. There is so much depth of storytelling here. This is the second collection I’ve read recently where I realized that I’ve read many of the stories before, but found myself rereading them anyway, they’re that good, and reading them in this order, it’s almost like hearing a song you like on the r
A.E.
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
[Disclaimer: Review copy received from author in exchange for honest review]

I was excited to read this short story collection by Eric J. Guignard, who is as brilliant a writer as he is an editor. I also found the cover art to be amazingly good and to set the tone for the collection. Many stories were of the post-apocalyptic variety, which while not my cup of tea, were still written very well and I enjoyed reading through them.

Highlights for me included “Last Days of the Gunslinger, John Amos,” w
Tori
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
That Which Grows Wild is an exceptional collection of deeply moving, often chilling stories, each with their own unique voice that transports the reader into a world only Eric J. Guignard could imagine. My favorites were set in a rustic past ("Last Days of the Gunslinger, John Amos" and "Momma") and told in such a wonderfully authentic voice I would have been content to stay in that world for the entire collection. But then I wouldn't have been shocked by "Last Night...," "Those Who Watch on Hig ...more
Tricia Guest
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eric Guignard has written a subtle and superlative collection of speculative horror worthy of The Twilight Zone. All of the stories are great but my favorites are the poignant and action-packed "Last Days of the Gunslinger, John Amos," and the slow-burn creep factor of "Momma."
Guignard sets his stories all around the globe and the plots range from psychological to monster horror, vampire to Weird West. There is something for everybody.
If you want a night filled with chills, read this collection.
David Agranoff
Full review coming soon, excellent collection of traditional horror short stories. My favorites included "footprints Fading in the Dessert," and the Western story "Last days of the Gunslinger." Guignard is a excellent writer, I was already a fan of his editing work and glad to check it out.
Lisa Lee
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eric J Guignard’s writing is dark and beautiful and I am in awe of his writing voice. I hardly know where to begin in reviewing his collection That Which Grows Wild. By the end of the first story, I was entranced, bewitched, and a bit in love with the book I held in my hands. I immediately gave thanks for the physical edition. “Shelf-worthy,” I mumbled aloud.
“What?” said my husband.
“The book,” I replied.
“That good?” he asked.
“Yes,” I replied. “It really is.”
He patted my arm and went back to his
Joseph Maddrey
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This collection begs the question “What is horror?” I’m not going to hazard an answer, except to say this is my kind of horror. It reminds me a lot of THE TWILIGHT ZONE. One story in particular (“Footprints Fading in the Desert”) seems intentionally reminiscent of the 1st season episode “A Hundred Yards Over the Rim.” I’m not suggesting that Guignard’s stories are derivative, only that they are apparently sprouted from the simple-but-effective formula of posing outlandish “what if?” questions wi ...more
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love short stories. I find that great authors shine when presented with the limitations of a short story. You only have so many pages to explore a topic and I love that the really good ones always leave me yearning for more. Whether it's an anthology or a collection all by the same author, it gives you the ability to sample various themes and narrative styles.

Typically, a collection of this magnitude finds me relishing some stories and yet bored with others. In the case of That Which Grows Wil
The Horror Club
*3 and 1/2 out of 5*

Short Story Collections can be tricky. The author must find a perfect balance with each story, and in a way, each of them must complement one another. That Which Grows Wild offers us sixteen tales, each unique in their own way, of dark and wild fiction.

Eric J. Guignard is no doubt a talented writer, backed up with compelling ideas that he transfers on the page quite well. However, he also lets himself down a bit. Guignard falls into the trap of holding the reader by the hand,
Stephen
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
***1/2 out of ***** (Reviewed for my blog, The Horror Club)

Short Story Collections can be tricky. The author must find a perfect balance with each story, and in a way, each of them must complement each other. That Which Grows Wild offers us sixteen tales, each unique in their own way, of dark and wild fiction.

Laura Thomas
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I usually find that when reading a collection of short stories, some of them are great, some are okay and some miss the mark. I was thrilled to find that I was happy with all sixteen tales in That Which Grows Wild.

The book begins with A Case Study in Natural Selection and How It Applies to Love. I’m a huge fan of dystopian and apocalyptic tales and this one adds human combustion to the mix. The fact that the author made it seem like something that could actually occur was like sprinkles on an ic
Anita Patel
Jul 07, 2018
Michael Flores
Jul 18, 2018
Shona Kinsella
Jan 24, 2019
Eric Guignard
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Ashley
Renato Rodriguez
Jan 05, 2019
Amber
Jan 08, 2019
ERIC J. GUIGNARD is a writer and editor of dark and speculative fiction, operating from the shadowy outskirts of Los Angeles, where he also runs the small press, Dark Moon Books. He’s won the Bram Stoker Award, been a finalist for the International Thriller Writers Award, and a multi-nominee of the Pushcart Prize.

He has over 100 stories and non-fiction works appearing in publications such as NIGHT