Start by marking “The Artist's Journey: The Wake of the Hero's Journey and the Lifelong Pursuit of Meaning” as Want to Read:

"No one's insights about the craft and journey of being an artist have guided me in the day-to-day struggle of this profession more than Steven Pressfield. Wherever you are, whatever you've been called to make, you need to read this book...and everything else he has written."

— Ryan Holiday, Bestselling Author of Ego Is the Enemy and The Obstacle Is the Way

YOU ARE AN ART

Published July 11th 2018 by Black Irish Entertainment LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Artist's Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Artist's Journey

Patrick Sherriff
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-writing, art
To read my review, click here: http://patricksherriff.com/2019/01/06...
Sacha Black
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic book from Pressfield. So thought provoking and inspiring. I loved how philosophical this one was looking at life and the wider journey of the creative person. I also love the concepts of the Daimon and the fact it’s separate to us and that once we get on this journey is a non stop ride to the end. Will be pondering many of the ideas in this for weeks to come.
Alexander Fitzgerald
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This short work is stunning in its excellence.

Steven Pressfield has become even more succinct with age. That has enriched his work.

He can say more in a 100 words than most writers can in 100,000.

There's not one sentence wasted here. This is a concise analysis of what it means to be a creator of anything. He addresses what stops creators, what ennobles creators, where real inspiration comes from, and how to access that inspiration.

His few spiritual ideas are diverse in origin and helpful in pra
Sharon Bright
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Steven Pressfield never disappoints.
Purely Lucy
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoyed the War of Art and the work of Joseph Cambell (Hero's Journey) then you'll love this! I see the works of Steven Pressfield as required reading for any artist looking to re-inspire their commitment to "do the work" and really give everything to their calling/craft.
Lisa King
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book blew my heart wide open. If you identify as an artist, you have a call. Accept it and step up. The world is waiting.
Marion Hill
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
“Your artist’s journey is unique to you. You alone are on your path. Your job is only to follow it and be true to it. Who knows what heights it may eventually bear you to? You are an artist. Your journey–however humble, however fraught, however beset with thorns and thistles—is part of a noble, cosmic cause. It is not meaningless. It is not in vain. It is a portion of a grand adventure. The artist’s journey is the hero’s journey of the human race.”

This quote is an entry from the end of acclaimed
Tim Miller
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you consider yourself an artist or have the hopes of some day becoming one—read this book—it’s that simple.
Bee
Dec 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Cristina
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub
Creating a parallel between the Hero’s Journey and the Artist Journey, the author takes us through his thoughts, religious mysticism and other reflexions.

Art is powerful. I believe in the unifying power of the music, stories, the paintings of others. But art is wider than that. It can be starting a business or doing your work. Everything we do can be that. I connected it with Seth’s “emotional labour”

I felt the idealization or exaltation of the artist taking it to the religious, almost miracle l
A.M.
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, e-books, i-own
I follow Black Irish books so I picked up this and Tim Grahl’s latest as both ebooks and audiobooks.
Pressfield’s voice is one I know well and here he reads his own title.

The artist's journey comes after the hero's journey. (Kindle Locations 134-135).

Yeah, I guess… I suppose it helps to know there are good things to come.
Pressfield’s favourites show up: Twyla Tharp, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, and a few others. He repeats some stories or quotes from other works.
Here he proposes that no matter h
Jane Night
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I had really mixed feelings about this book but I feel like I am, perhaps, the wrong audience.

It seems to me this book is intended for the budding artist who needs a push on their journey. This book spends a lot of time talking about the nobility of purpose of creating art. That isn't a bad thing but there wasn't much of practical use in this book. Mostly, it is the exploration of why one chooses to become an artist.

I found the first part of this book confusing. I didn't really grasp the point
Steph
I can't get enough of this book! It's one of those pieces you'll read over and over, getting something new from it every time.

Pressfield takes us through the process and concept of the artist's journey - in the most basic of terms, to create something to put into the world. Each person is an artist, of their own life or something more tangible, and each person goes through a hero's journey first, in which they're preparing for the artist's journey. Each small chapter is a step-by-step manifesto
Dan
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I confess it wasn’t my first instinct to read this book. After reading Pressfield’s most famous release “The War of Art” and not being that impressed, I figured he was one of those authors that achieved great insight, but all of the knowledge had already been distilled into popular culture, rendering it unnecessary. I ended up getting the book bundled with Tim Grahl’s “Running Down A Dream” and decided to give it a go in its audio format.

What a surprise! Very insightful and candid, Pressfield r
Ocean Gebhardt
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
It might just be my impression but I felt like he bit off more than he could chew here. This book is *much* more philosophical than the other books I've read by him ("Do the work" and "The War of Art"), and I felt like it missed the mark. He quotes Jung, Marx, Homer, Joseph Campbell, and many others, but just seems to pick and choose random quotes or tidbits. I couldn't help feeling like he wanted to sound philosophical, but wasn't sure exactly how.

I did like some of the points he made, such as
Matthew
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lost interest along the way

Frustratingly entertaining yet still not what I expected, if that makes sense. I lost interest about 20% in.

It is a good thing I'm not a hero and I don't have a journey. It's also a good thing I've learned about the Hero's Journey from other places.

It is an interesting read if you want to live under a fictional shadow. Other than that, get on your bike and head over to another book that would do better for you.
Jeremy
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A remarkable book for artists, aspiring artists, and creatives everywhere. Like “The War of Art,” “The Artist’s Journey” inspires, but it doesn’t sugarcoat anything. Rather, the book leads readers to their own trailhead where they can begin their individual and unique journey to discover the artist within. Mr. Pressfield fills this compact book with wisdom and heart. It will kick your creative tail into action.
Karista Taylor Bennett
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been a long time fan of Steven Pressfield's work and this book is no exception. Funny, enlightening, engaging, honest, sobering at times and good kick in the behind if one is dragging their feet. Several times I had to go back a few pages and re-read them just to soak them up and process the meaning. I found myself making notes and pasting them on my desk and computer for instant inspiration. Loved it.
JDK1962
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Very fast read. I found it a bit hit and miss, but I'll think about the things that resonated. I think my main point of divergence is Pressfield's idea that there's some other unified plane of consciousness (and that the artist's journey is retrieving from that other level). Obviously it's fine if that's how he conceptualizes his creative process, but it doesn't work for me. I guess I think there are enough mysteries on this level that I don't yet need to theorize additional levels.
Kirstie
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a rather deep mindset book on how the artists journey reflects the Campbellian The Hero's Journey. Very thought provoking and inspiring, i can see myself going back to reread this a few times when anxiety tries to take over.
Also very applicable to other artistic pursuits than just writing, so for those unfamiliar with the Hero's Journey, this will still be a valuable read.
Kelli Johnston
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pressfield never fails to deliver. A artists journey of 30 plus years is proven worthy by by it’s body of work. This work being among the top. This artist will likely reread it several times over. Just as I have The War of Art.
Mary
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The first half of the book was choppy and a little difficult to digest via audio. The second half, when Pressfield explains the ideas that all artists are working to take humanity back to a higher state, as with the state of Adam and Eve before their fall, was quite interesting and relatable.
Josh Maher
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An incredible book for artists, and required reading for everyone a few decades into their life.

We’re all artists of our own lives. Mr. Pressfield eloquently highlights what that really means to us as individuals and to us as a society.
Christy
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I love me some Pressfield, but this was a little too ''mysto'' for me. The idea of laying out the Artists's Journey as a component of the Hero's Journey is brilliant. But there are only so many ways to describe the work of the unconscious before it gets repetitive.
Julie
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little too heavy-handed for me at the beginning, but as the book went on, I responded to the challenges of the Artist' Journey and what it means for me and for humanity. The artist may well save us.
Connie Johnson
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this guy. Life is not simple. This book really helped me get to the idea of how many of us are on an artists journey and what that means, even to do it in the context of everyday life. Its brilliant and its one I will keep on my shelf and reread often.
John
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved several of Steven's books. This was just okay. There wasn't a lot of actionable advice in this book, for me at least. It felt like it could have been edited down to about 15 pages. Some interesting points, I just was hoping he was going to lead it up to a chapter that I could use.
Russsell Lundstrom
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Another brilliant, inspiring book for the artist.
Jordan
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this book!

If you’re on the fence about buying The Artist’s Journey, allow me to push you off: buy the freakin’ book!
Nick
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good pep talk for creatives.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Running Down a Dream: Your Road Map to Winning Creative Battles
  • 50 Things Every Young Lady Should Know: What to Do, What to Say, and   How to Behave
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • A Murder of Clones (Retrieval Artist, #10)
  • Total Yoga (Healthy Living)
  • Unmistakable: Why Only Is Better Than Best
  • Write Your Novel in a Month: How to Complete a First Draft in 30 Days and What to Do Next
  • The Successful Author Mindset: A Handbook for Surviving the Writer's Journey
  • Tomorrow: Adventures in an Uncertain World
  • Write Every Day: How to Write Faster, and Write More (Rock Your Writing, #4)
  • Living Yoga: Creating a Life Practice
  • Beyond Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Advanced Guide to Building Muscle, Staying Lean, and Getting Strong
  • How to Be a Power Connector: The 5+50+100 Rule for Turning Your Business Network Into Profits
  • Say This, Not That: A Foolproof Guide to Effective Interpersonal Communication
  • Never Hit a Jellyfish With a Spade: How to Survive Life's Smaller Challenges
  • To My Sons: Lessons for the Wild Adventure Called Life
  • The Artist's Way for Parents: Raising Creative Children
  • Power Moves: Lessons from Davos
I was born in Port of Spain, Trinidad, in 1943 to a Navy father and mother.

I graduated from Duke University in 1965.

In January of 1966, when I was on the bus leaving Parris Island as a freshly-minted Marine, I looked back and thought there was at least one good thing about this departure. "No matter what happens to me for the rest of my life, no one can ever send me back to this freakin' place a
“What was clear to me was that something was happening, and that something was a train I couldn't stop or slow down or get off. What was clear too was when it ended. I knew the exact moment. I could feel it. Even then, in that hour, I understood that the experience was of supreme value and importance. I didn't need hindsight. I knew in the moment. My family may have been repelled, even appalled by where I had been and what I had done; my friends may have feared for my sanity; others who cared for me may have shaken their heads at the waste and folly and futility. Even I understood it would take me years to recover. I didn't care. The trip was worth it. Why? Because I now had a history that was mine alone. I had an ordeal that I had survived and a passage that I had paid for with my own blood. Nobody knew about this passage but me. Nobody would ever know, nor did I feel the slightest urge to communicate it. This was mine, and nobody could ever take it away from me. I had punched my ticket. I had filled in the blanks.” 0 likes