Start by marking “For the Love of a Duchess” as Want to Read:
For the Love of a Duchess

For the Love of a Duchess

Introducing the "For the Love of a Duchess" Novel - Discover NOW The New Regency Romance Book by Bridget Barton!

Lovely - Romantic - Exciting!

Lady Eliza Ashton, daughter of the Earl of Bexley, had always thought her life would be a straight pathway to happiness.

Engaged to be married to the devastatingly handsome Miles Gainsborough, Eliza could never have imagined how easil
Published July 4th 2018

To ask other readers questions about For the Love of a Duchess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Love of a Duchess

Marti
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very well written book with completely believable characters and a good plot. A young lady gets married off to an older Duke for money, and the result is a tragic nightmare. A bit too sad for my choice of entertainment but all’s well that ends well!
Space Cowgirl
Being Rich💰and Titled Sucks

You Can't Always Get What You Want.....

How about your Earl daddy basically selling you to a wealthy older Duke👹 in order to get his Earldom out of debt and get the old crumbling mansion fixed up?

This is what happens to Eliza Ashton💃💋, the daughter of the Earl of Bexley. He spends all the money on his son, the heir, then sees 💲dollar signs when he looks at his smart, beautiful daughter.
It's all about the money, and Eliza💃💋 soon figures out she is being sold to the fat
Anne
What a wonderful story. I have been reading for over 45 years and have
never come across a story like this. Yes there have been stories of marriages arranged and yes
I have read about thwarted love but never with the fine detail like this. The way the Duke
bought a young girl, the way her family sold her and their reasons for so doing,
the wonderfully nasty, evil maid and the lawyer who went from disdainful to besotted all
combined to make a truly unputdownable read.
I loved the way you used lett
Nanci
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How one young woman grows to understand Love

"For the Love of a Duchess" explores a young woman's assumptions about love. The difficult situations she is faced with cause her to feel rejected, to feel angry and even to feel bitterness. Then circumstances cause her to feel fear. In the end, she finds clearly what love means to her.

I am eating this book 4.5 stars. There were some passages I skimmed as they were simply not moving quickly enough. The author explores love , money, duty, and family and
Kaye
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
TAKE THAT!!!
This is one intriguing spin. Not even the high mighty have that right. Talk about taking a long walk on a short pier. This knight doesn't hold a title. Bridget throws out a susper spinner that can have you up in arms and raging in a matter of seconds. Touc-hie. The characters are definitely at the top of list on this one. Personalities come alive with life altering fate. The scenes are stunningly graphic that paints a breathtaking majestic backdrop. Twists and turns abound with unexp
Norma J. Anderson
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I needed to experience more of the story

I thought it was a pretty good story, but there were parts that I could have used more information and just needed to experience them more. We know the Duke of Lytton was an older man of 55 and Eliza was only 19 years old when they married. What I didn't find out was exactly why did he choose her. I know he wanted a young wife so that he could get an heir, but why this particular one. Did he have a special friendship with her father. Did they go back many
The Mysterious Reader
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story of a young girl married off to an older nobleman, often due to her desire to pursue a title but at times for other reasons, such as effectively being sold by her family to raise funds, is one often mentioned in Regency Romances as something that happened to secondary or lesser characters. In Bridget Barton’s For the Love of a Duchess: A Historical Regency Romance Book, it’s the main character - Eliza - who suffers this fate, very much against her desires. How she deals with it, with th ...more
Danielle Carpenter
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story starts out as a nightmare for Eliza. Her father sells her to a Duke in marriage to save his estate, even though she is engaged to a baron's son. Her fiance then refuses to marry her because her father is penniless. She has to marry a man 35 years her senior. Her husband after 3 months of marriage starts accusing her that it is her fault she is not pregnant yet. It only gets worse from there. Enters Daniel, the duke's attorney, who put himself in the way to save Eliza from being harmed ...more
April
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
For the Love of a Duchess by Bridget Barton is an unpredictable, intriguing and emotional story. With drama, sacrifice, angst, emotional turmoil, unpredictable, and romance. The characters are strong and interesting. A powerful story the Regency era and woman's circumstances in that era. Sweet, clean Regency Romance. Well crafted and I am glad the author added the extended epilogue, which answered some of my questions. Powerful and compelling. Has a rather climatic ending to me. Well worth the t ...more
Dmcl
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great historical romance that really had me on the edge of my seat. So well written with wonderful characters that embody the behavior and sensibilities of the age. Every reader will feel Eliza’s pain and hurt and Daniel’s frustration over a love that seems unrequited. You’ll be wringing your hands til the end, hoping for a HEA and you’ll just have to read it yourself to see if they get it. This book is everything you expect from this genre and more.
Bernadette Cinkoske
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a riveting tale from Bridget Barton. Eliza is a very strong woman despite being only 19. Enough has been written about the plot. Let me just say that the story had plenty of twists to keep me reading. I flew through the book. I agree with those who said I am still thinking about these characters and their circumstances. This is a really wonderful story. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys Regency romances.
Rebecca
Truly Love

There are so many adages about love out there that make this tale so realistic... I truly believe the deepest, truest loves, have been tested and tried, refined by fire. Very well written, this happily ever after, was earned and fought for. Good job, Bridget, you have once again produced a most excellent story that I can recommend to my friends and family alike.
Leyns
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clever.

I thought this one was cleverly written. There was a fair amount of angst, and I did shed a couple of tears reading the heroines emotions. It was a little unusual in that the hero and heroine fall in love while the heroine is married. I wasn’t sure how to feel about that initially, but the heroine doesn’t admit it to herself and they both think to themselves that they have more personal honour than to act inappropriately on such feelings. Plus the husband was abusive and generally unplea
Mary A Browne
Great book

I couldn't put this book down once I started it. The ups and downs in Eliza's life were heartbreaking... From essentially being sold to the Duke in order for her family to maintain themselves in the fashion to which they were accustomed and to find, lose and find again the man she loves so desperately. Daniel is not her first love but he's her last love and after many trials and tribulations, they finally get their happily ever after.

I would happily recommend this book to anyone who ha
Nicole Posey
Heart felt

Down to earth, heart felt, mixed emotions, a must read!!!! Couldn't put the book down til I was done with it!!!
Pat
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written story with a plot that flowed effortlessly throughout the entire book, not to mention the well developed characters that kept me totally enthralled until the turn of the very last page!
Laila Viking
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was an amazing story with a great storyline and plot. I like how the character deal with each other. The heroine is forced to marry older duke and she becomes friends with his assistant. They have a great chemistry and they are passionate.
It was a good journey to follow and see how they manage to get their HEA.
Amy
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was well-written and the plot was very interesting. I spent most of the book sad and angry. Eliza’s family sold her to the old duke and her “true” love abandoned her. Daniel, the old duke’s attorney, was prepared to dislike her but ended up her protector. There were a few other surprising twists and turns but we were able to change our tears of sadness to those of joy with an HEA. Great job!
Karen Hollon
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From Loss to Love

Eliza is forced to marry the Duke who’s old enough to be her father to save her family from ruin. During this marriage she befriends his solicitor, David. After the Duke dies suddenly, Eliza comes to terms with how her life has changed so drastically in just a couple years. With the help of her life long friend, Eliza realizes she has found the love of her life. Read this wonderful story to see how Eliza’s life has turned out.
Mrs Caroline Trevor
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great

I found this a good book. I liked the letters as an alternative way of storytelling and it gave an insight of Eliza's emotions at that time. I liked Daniel's courage in defending the Duchess from her husband.
Amal Bukhari
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was amazing time when I started read this novel and I love how the character deal with each other and the heroine was forced to marry older duke and she became a friend with his assistant
It was a good journey to know what happened between the hero and the heroine
I will wait the author next novel
Kay Heath
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book, it has intrigue, danger, blackmail, good characters, and depraved characters it is an interesting story. You will enjoy the epilogue a good read.

Already posted on Amazon
Donna R.
Loved it!

Traci
Excellent

Selling the daughter to the highest bidder through a dowry not unheard of in the Regency period. And giving her to an older man not unheard of either. But for the woman having the good fortune to find love after a heartbreaking beginning is wonderful. Exciting story, loved each and every page.
Annette Sullivan
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book from Bridget. Betrayal and loyalty feature strongly in this good story. Finding true deep love and forgiveness brings the end together beautifully. This is a wonderful story with very unexpected events, one to really enjoy.
Wanda Liendro
Wonderful story

My heart broke for Eliza who was forced to marry a man almost three times her age. When he becomes violent her only protector is the Duke's attorney Daniel. Can she find happiness at all in this convoluted mess? I loved this book and will gladly recommend it to everyone.
Wanda
George
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Regency Romances
For the love of a Duchess, by Bridget Barton.
A broken engagement, a forced May/December marriage to save the family fortune, an estranged family, a hostile ducal household, servants that can't be trusted, the solitude of a loveless relationship, a blackmail plot--these are just a few of the problems that face 19-year-old Eliza Ashton, daughter of the Earl of Bexley when she is forced to wed the aging Duke of Lytton.

The relationship starts well enough, in spite of the vast difference in ages betw
Jackie
At 19 Lady Eliza Ashton is forcibly reminded that in her world females are not only helpless to make their own life choices but that she is actually worth less in societies eyes than her older brother Henry.

As she faces the truth when her own Father gives her the news she is to be wed to over 50 Duke of Lytton and not the young man she is in love with Eliza is heartbroken and angry.

The reason behind her arranged marriage is to save the family legacy and allow her parents and brother to continue
Candy Briggs
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a complicated story. I loved it. Lady Eliza Ashton is engaged to be married to Miles. But her father needs money and instead gives her to the Duke of Lytton. He is fifty six short, squat, and hardly any hair on his head, and fat. She finally does what her father says and marries the duke, but she will never forgive him or her family. Daniel Winchester is an attorney and works for the duke. He is almost exclusive. He sees Eliza and thinks she is a title chaser. But he soon learns that i ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Holiday in Bath
  • The Scandalous Saga of the White Lady
  • A Christmas Courting
  • The Unwanted Suitor (Regency House Party: Somerstone #1)
  • The Perfect Lady
  • The Unexpected Wife
  • A Michaelmas Wager
  • Lord Romney's Exquisite Widow (Regency Romance #2)
  • A Christmas Reunion, the Gift of a Second Chance
  • Lord Blackwood's Valentine Ball: An Authentic Regency Romance
  • The Lady's Masquerade
  • Hide in Time
  • The Wedding Clause
  • Colonel Darcy: An Elizabeth and Darcy Story
  • Enchanting the Duke (His Majesty's Hounds #5)
  • Courting Scandal (Fairchild, #3)
  • Martha's Patience (Branches of Love, #0.5)
  • The Tales of Haskett's Manor
Bridget Barton was born and raised in Fort Worth, Texas.

She has studied English Literature in college and after a brief passage in journalism as a newspaper writer, she stirred her career to what she always loved: becoming an author!

She has always been intrigued by rascals, vagabonds, dukes and rogues, so having the chance to write stories about them is a wish come true for her!

Bridget is married