Start by marking “Hold Fast” as Want to Read:
Hold Fast

Hold Fast

Morgan Turner, agent to the Winthrop estate, owes everything to his benefactor. When the late baronet’s will tasks him with finding the lost heir and making a gentleman of him, he is determined to succeed.

Thirteen years ago, Evelyn Winthrop ran away to sea. Now that his hated patriarch is dead, the ancestral home he returns to is more shadowed than what he left behind. Ung
Published July 31st 2018

To ask other readers questions about Hold Fast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hold Fast

Start your review of Hold Fast
Kaje Harper
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This author's writing style keeps me engaged with his characters, even though the plot sometimes pushed the bounds of reality.

Evelyn Winthrop was 14 and heir to a baronetcy when his father caught him with another boy, and he escaped and ran away to sea on a whaling ship. Evelyn fell out of touch, and his younger brother Basil has been the presumed heir since, but Evelyn's father on his deathbed reveals that he believes his older son is alive, and directs his agent, Morgan, to find the young man
Gerbera_Reads
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my second time reading Sebastian Nothwell's work and it didn't disappoint. Well researched subjects, wonderful use of words and turn of phrase, diverse characters and authentic historical feel. Despite the typical trope of rough around the edges lord needing tutelage in manners, the author brought new things to the table: power play between employer and employee, lord's slightly ambiguous character and all the angst one could stand all wrapped up in aristocratic world of intrigue, social ...more
WhatAStrangeDuck
Note: This was originally published with the title "Take me like a sailor" - just so you don't accidentally buy it twice. "Hold Fast" is a much better title, btw.

This is another highly engaging historical romance by this author. Although I frequently wanted to slap the characters I found myself thoroughly entertained. My only criticism is that the book could do with a little tightning and that the villains were maybe a tiny bit OTT but at the end of the day it is a pretty good historical romance
JD Crittendon
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dealing with the Past in order for Love to Flourish!

A search for a long lost heir, a ‘My Fair Lady’ like training of said heir and dealing disfuncional families & friends are all elements of the Morgan Turner & Lord Evelyn story.
This novel should be classified as a dramatic story with a side order of romance and sexy times.
Don’t let the cover fool you...this is a very good Historical story with unexpected twists and turns.
Well-written, well-developed MCs and co-characters. I really enjoyed this
Rachel
12/27/18 Currently 25% off at Smashwords ($2.99): https://www.smashwords.com/books/view... ...more
Liz
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well this was a delight.
Any romance novel where you spend half the book yelling at the characters, but in a good way, is a good one.
Tex Reader
2.5 out of 5 - Only a Fair Gay 90s My Fair Lady/Prodigal Son
[Thanks to the author and Goodreads' MMRG Don't Buy My Love program for a free copy in exchange for an honest review]

Having enjoyed Mr Warren's Profession, I was disappointed that this had too many things to forgive for me to forget. While I still like the historical, the characters were interesting but not as endearing, the tropes not overcome, and the romantic language too over-the-top purple for even my taste.

I was really into it at
Sakuko
The book was provided for free by the author in exchange for an honest review via the MMRG Don’t Buy My Love Program

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Even though it's pretty long and I often had trouble concentrating on books while stuck at home, I pretty much raced through it in just a few days.

It feels like a historically mostly accurate soap opera, or an old time adventure novel just with a more solid romance.
The main characters as well as most of the side cast are well drawn and fleshed out, th
Denise
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-historicals
Not as charming as the first novel by this author - the hapless idiot noble with a heart of gold played much better the first time, when the idiot is always willing to learn and believes their beloved's every word absolutely. Mr Warren's Profession has a charming Bertie Wooster character following around his Jeeves, this one just has a kinda crappy guy who doesn't trust his lover.

And yeah, the ending is completely ridiculous but don't act like you haven't fantasized about (view spoiler)
Sasha Ambroz
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, romance, so-gay, own
I'd started to compose the review in the middle of reading. So hot, I thought, so kinky. I've changed my mind by the end of it.
It is not just hot, it is astonishingly good. The characters are complex and multidimensional, the story of abuse and rage is not simple and one-sided, human drama is rich and believeable.
I want more of these two!
Rhode
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-historic
Fantastic opening sentences. And some of the whaling lore was interesting, I’ll bet some derived from the museum in New Bedford not too far from me. (Although of course whaling itself is reprehensible, one can understand how the characters didn’t know that in 1891.)

The leads were pleasant enough, although the blonde hair and love at first site was too much like the author’s last book. I liked the overall women’s rep and lesbian rep. As well as populating the downstairs with recognizable types of
Lou
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore Sebastian Nothwell’s writing style and ability to tell a story, but his characters are always what leave the strongest lasting impression. Our MCs, Evelyn and Morgan, are beautifully realized with histories that inform their actions. Other reviewers have mentioned the lack of open communication between them for a majority of the book, but I think Morgan’s unwillingness to be honest about his past makes total sense (view spoiler) ...more
coslyons
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Me, yelling at the characters: just talk to each other! Use your words! Explain the situation!

Aside from my frustration at the miscommunication tropes, I thought this was a nice book.

(Evelyn is the subbiest sub to ever sub)
Tess
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bo
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly Complicated

The cover is really perfect, with the prodigal son Sir Evelyn Winthrop holding his whaling harpoon as a symbolic carnal temptation for his just inherited estate's manager Morgan Turner. That auburn-haired beauty slams into Evelyn's heart upon meeting but he never suspects that the way Morgan's knowledge, and secrets, unfold one-by-one in such a brilliantly plotted manner as to take your breath away upon occasion.

These characters are completely opposite in how they perceive
Carrie
Light BDSM with Evelyn submitting to Morgan as his "landlocked captain." Not a lot of sex, but what there is, is great. Morgan's fern collecting hobby is sort of adorable. I got irritated in the middle with the lack of communication about Ned the half-brother. This seems to be a common complaint in the reviews, but I'm glad I didn't let that turn me off as the book was worth it once they opened up to each other.

Warnings: Incest (more details in spoilers, but the MCs aren't related), Gore (whali
Tenny
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, gay, angst
Trigger warnings for the book (cause it kinda needs it, but hidden cause its kinda spoiler-y): (view spoiler)

Okay, now with this noted, lets get to the book itselt. This book surprised me, mostly because I read books by Cat Sebastian lately and this book is much more raw than what I was used to. Not in a bad way, I just didn't expect it. I liked both main heroes and their romance felt realistic. Though
Reader
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-historical
I do kind of like that there are no real derring-do heroes or heroines in this book and most of the people whose opinions may matter their own 'little secret' as well. So very little self-righteous condemnation to sling around.

It's a pity about Ned as IMO, he could be redemptive as Basil may very well turn out to be, or not? Did Basil really do as Evelyn told him? Will he ever sincerely change at all? Unless, Sebastian Nothwell continue this story with Basil's own, I'll just apply to my imagina
Juli
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Maureen
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by this author thoroughly enjoyed it, I have another favourite couple. Most frustrating part was at 80-something%, just when something huge was going to happen, my Kindle died. I had to wait while it re-charged enough for me to finish the story.
Shima11
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mmrc-2018
Absorbing, scene-animating narration. Interesting, convincing, and appealing characters, well-paced in their interrelations. Definitely impressed by new-to-me author Sebastian Nothwell.
Karola
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
micathemineral
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A fun little historical romance that takes some unexpected turns! It features an engaging supporting cast, and well-developed protagonists who I found myself rooting for early on (and wailing "just TALK to each other, goddamnit" at my ipad). It shows overall very good attention to historical authenticity and, as someone with a keen interest in maritime history, I was very pleased to note all the little authentic details that placed the novel firmly in its time period.

The premise of the son of a
Bev
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Afraid it took me a long time to get into this one, which certainly wasn't the case with Mr Warren's Profession. The squire's son Evelyn is caught in flagrante delicto with a school friend at the age of 13, and instead of running away to join the circus, decides to hop on a sailing ship bound for New England as a cabin boy, and eventually takes up a position on a whaling ship as a harpooner. He is chased around the globe by his father's agent when his father dies and he is named heir of the esta ...more
Camilla Hjertø
Sep 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, angst
This book had a promising premise and start, even if the writing was variable, the pacing strange and the dialogue not very good. At first, I was intrigued by the story of the returning sailor, and I wanted to give this story a chance, but as I read on, it got harder and harder to understand the characters’ actions, in the way that they didn’t feel believable or very likeable. The building of the attraction and romance felt incoherent and badly paced, too. I don’t mind reading romantic stories w ...more
Ser
Jul 20, 2020 rated it liked it
One of the main characters does not believe the other at first when he tells him about past abuse by someone they both know and I found that part extremely difficult to read and it dropped my esteem of the character and my overall enjoyment of the book significantly. But I really enjoyed most of the book.
Charlie Cote
May 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
I’m not sure why everyone loves this book so much. I personally thought the writing style was bad, the dialogue was worse (even cringey at times), and the plot dragged on when it really could have been a much shorter book. I couldn’t even finish it.
Junko
Mar 01, 2019
Kristen L. Abbey
Feb 18, 2019
Sonia
Aug 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Romance Recs, Aut...: Take Me Like a Sailor (gay historical romance) 1 5 Oct 11, 2018 08:35PM

• Two Rogues Make a Right (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #3)
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting
  • Think of England (Think of England #1)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Proper English
  • The Last Kiss
  • Restored (Enlightenment, #5)
  • The Marquess of Gorsewall Manor (After the Swan's Nest #1)
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • Band Sinister
  • A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • A Gentleman Never Keeps Score (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #2)
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
Sebastian Nothwell writes same-sex romance. When he is not writing, he is counting down the minutes until he is permitted to return to writing. He is absolutely not a ghost and definitely did not die in 1895.

News & Interviews

Psychological thrillers that will leave your head spinning. Cold cases, detectives hot on a trail, unreliable narrators, and a dash of poison...