Start by marking “The Fever King (Feverwake, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fever King (Feverwake, #1)

The Fever King

(Feverwake #1)

In the former United States, sixteen-year-old Noam Álvaro wakes up in a hospital bed, the sole survivor of the viral magic that killed his family and made him a technopath. His ability to control technology attracts the attention of the minister of defense and thrusts him into the magical elite of the nation of Carolinia.

The son of undocumented immigrants, Noam has spent
Audio CD
Published March 1st 2019 by Brilliance Audio

Start your review of The Fever King (Feverwake, #1)
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Me: *picks up a book with very high expectations and ends up disappointed*

My brain: *slamming fists on table* REGRET REGRET REGRET REGRET REGRET REGRET REGR

I relish the risk incurred by picking up a book that might inspire love or hate because both ends are passionate. As a reader, what I dread the most is the middle ground, the lukewarm, the books that lack whatever alchemy is needed to ensure they land on my heart with a sound of impact. Unfortunately, my images of The Fever King are already
may ➹
The thing about The Fever King is that its about so many different things that its just truly indescribable.

Its about a virus that has taken so many innocent lives, yet has become a magical blessing for those who survive it. Its about moral ambiguity and deciding whats right and wrong for you but also for everyone else. Its about identity, and trauma, and finding your place in a world that is always changing.

Its about a boy named Noam, and a boy named Dara, and what they must do to keep living
Lily ☁️
My full review is now up on my blog!

Theres something about books that make you avoid any and all real life responsibilities, stay up until 2 a.m., bleary-eyed and exhausted, and leave you with your soul crushed beyond recognitionand have you loving every single second of it. Something that leaves a distinctly enunciated yes in its wake that reverberates warmly in your heart with its perfect, almost poetic diction, and its all-consuming intensity.

And that special something has ensconced
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
2.5 stars. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Its the 22nd century, and North America is divided into several different countries in the aftermath of a worldwide disaster. A plague that first hit back in the early part of the 21st century killed and continues to kill almost every person who get infected with the virus. Those few who survive become witchings, developing a variety of magical powers as a result of the viruss presence in their body.

Noam Álvaro is a bisexual teenage refugee
Lola
The premise of this book sounded captivating and I couldnt wait for the author to introduce the romance between the two male characters who basically hate each other, but I did not expect this YA story to be so mature. The world-building is dark, Noam works to improve the conditions of refugees by working with government officials and developing his own powers, and there are plenty of secrets no one cares to share. Theres drinking, drugs, sex. Adult stuff.

Its a page-turner, but not an instant
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I had no idea that I need this book in my life until I stumbled upon the synopsis.
Dang! That sounds so intriguing!
My gay romance radar went on autopilot and my inner queer faerie is slaphappy! *lol*
Guess that's what you call a win-win situation. XD
Jamie Finch
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Im not going to lie, the only reason I decided to pick this book up was for the m/m rep, which did not disappoint (prepare for a lot of angst). I honestly didnt know much else about it or what to expect, so I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

This book was incredibly diverse and the bisexual representation in particular, made me ridiculously happy.

I meant it when I said I wasnt gay Noam said.
Ames looked disbelieving , but she didnt pull away.
Noam smirked. Bisexual isnt gay

I
Acqua
Was this completely predictable? Yes.
Did I care? Not even a little, and that should tell you something about how well-written these characters are.

The Fever King is the first book in a futuristic sci-fantasy series set in what is left of the once-United States. It follows a main character who is bisexual, Jewish and Colombian and it features a main m/m romance. It's a story that talks about a lot of interesting themes, and I'm going to get to that in this review, but first I want to talk about
Silvia
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the author for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

Me: h-
Victoria Lee, probably: I'll make sure you never know happiness again

THAT HURTED but like in a good way.

Its hard to say in a sentence what The Fever King is about.

You could say its about Noam, a Jewish Latino bisexual teen who survives the magic virus that kills most of the population and leaves him a witching, status which grants him a spot among the people he and his family have
Lou
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ppl who love The Foxhole Court, but also science
Recommended to Lou by: Lily ☁️
arc sent by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

I was nervous about this one!!!!!!!. I dont usually get into SF-F books???????? (which is a part of my personality were working on this year, pls contribute to the cause with your recs)

But I appreciated the hell out of this book. IT WAS SO CHARACTER-DRIVEN???? But at the same time, were given science! and betrayal! AND TRUE LOVE FOR THE GAYS! This was an excellent novel.

What is this book about?
Noam (a gorgeous bisexual high school
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

That was the whole point. Governments didnt have to listen to the people until the people made it hurt to not listen.

🌟 I picked this up because a couple of trusted bloggers read it and loved it. The book came out during the time I had my finals back at university. I then started seeing many disappointed readers reviewing it and this books average rating was going down steadily (At the time of this review it is
Elise (TheBookishActress)
there are antiheroes and gay shit in this
Monica
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Really enjoyed this! It kept my interest thru the entire story. I only wish it had been longer and more developed. I would definitely read a sequel!

*Thanks to NetGalley and publishers for the advanced readers copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
It's all random chance. The universe. Us. An infinite cascade of chaos. A series of impossible accidents is the only reason we even exist.

The Fever King absolutely blew me away. Here's something I don't say often, but even though the premise didn't get me too excited, the execution was incredible. I thought I was tired of dystopian books, but The Fever King proved that new twists can be put onto a genre that's been trod into the ground. It's a book that's poignant in this day and age, exploring
tappkalina
24 March 2020

Don't touch me, don't talk to me, don't come near me, don't even look at me!
I have a new favourite: book, world, characters, main character, couple, villian, magic system, literally everything.

Noam Álvaro and Dara Shirazi are the best thing happened to me in 2020 so far.

description
I dont want you to think Im just like all the others, Noam said, hesitating there with his hand in Daras lap and Dara frowning expectantly up at him, Daras fingers loosely curled round Noams wrist.
I know youre not,
Vicky Who Reads
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 stars

THIS BOOK, YALL.

I love it so much? It was tightly written and wonderfully set up and I love the characters and am SO DEAD at the ending.

Whew! I could scream about this book all day, honestly.

In short, if you get anything from this review, its that you should READ THE FEVER KING. GO.

The lovable characters + ships.

Honestly, Victoria Lee is a master at creating characters I love and feel intensely attached to.

Its one thing to write characters that are real or interesting, but its a
Tucker
Let me preface this mini review by saying I have talked to the author and she seems really nice. I have nothing against her. That said, I unfortunately did not enjoy this as much as I hoped I would. I was expecting a lot of sci-fi (which there was but not as much as I was expecting.) I had trouble staying focused on the story. (But that's mostly because I had some personal things going on while I was reading this.) All in all, I loved the writing style. The story intrigued me at first but slowly ...more
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Original review posted on my blog : Word Wonders

CW: mention and description of suicide, illness, death, violence, fascism, drug use, excessive drinking, pedophilia, statutory rape, abuse in all its forms, manipulation, trauma, murder, gore, generational trauma, ableist language, slut-shaming.

Do you ever rate a book five stars and the more you think about it the more you realize just how much more you love it and how you wish you could give it a billion more stars? Because thats me with The Fever
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
4.25

The Fever King is a diverse and gripping sci-fi thriller of suspense. The fast-paced political intrigue between the two major factions in a post US apocalyptic world and the main protagonist tangled up in it all had me glued to the pages.

The former US has been befallen with a virus that destroyed most of the population and left two major metropoles. Atlantia in the southeast, a nuclear wasteland comprised of refugee camps, a place where all the sick people were dumped into; and Carolinia,
Romie
so, about the ending, i'm in total denial. i'm fine. *screams into a pillow*
;3
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, audiobooks, lgbt
3.5

noam, dara, and that gay shit: 👌💓🌈🏳🌈😘
that ending: 😰😥😓😓
everything else: 🧐🤔🤷♀😴😵
Hollis
This is a book that my mind is shying away from being too critical about because it's doing a lot of great things. And yet..

Beyond the representation offered in Lee's characters (one lead is bisexual and Jewish/Latinx, the other is black, I believe), this is a sci-fi/dystopian story that heavily deals with how society treats refugees. For all that this is set, like, a hundred years (or something?) in the future, this is a very timely narrative and I felt the author did a good job of making this
Natasha Ngan
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My kind of sci-fi: sharp, smart and political, with something important to say about our own world. Lee offers a fresh twist on magic that makes THE FEVER KING feel totally new and unique. I was absorbed in Noam's world from the first page - and was dreading leaving it by the last.

Also: DARA FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Melissa
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay. This book fits so well with what I love: apocalyptic, sci-fi, fantasy, suspense... Bring magic in a futuristic world and you got me. Add a romantic story, and I'm hooked! A couple of times, I would have hidden myself behind my eyes if I was watching a movie. I devoured the book, loved loved loved!

Many thanks to Skyscape for my e-copy of this book through NetGalley.
Benjamin (The Maniac)
Probably the biggest disappointment of the year. RTC
☙ percy ❧
Feb 02, 2019 marked it as ebooks-tbr  ·  review of another edition
YO one of my most anticipated books goes on the amazon first reads selection??? it's motherfuckin christmas
Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪
Ohhh yes this has definitely become one of my top books of 2019! I read it over a week and even though I was busy with studying for tests, I kept stealing moments to try and read it! It was THAT good that I was terribly anxious to know what happened to the characters.

The Fever King features Noam Alvaro, a 16yo with parents who are undocumented immigrants. He lives in an alternate America in the 22nd century - one that has been ravaged by an atomic bomb a hundred years ago. There's this dangerous
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
if noam went to juvie again because he was fighting fascism on behalf of the atlantians, he was okay with that.

this might as well be the surprise read of the year for me. while it took me a while to get into the book, i then stayed up reading until 3am a few days later when i had an 8am lecture to attend at uni. yes, it was THAT addictive.

victoria lees writing style is unlike anything ive ever read before. it is a well suited mixture between easy to read sentences and a touch of poetic
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review thank you!

The first 65% of this book was so boring I was deeply concerned Id have to DNF it. And then incredibly the plot went from plodding along to flat-out sprinting. Honestly, I nearly got whiplash from the sudden change of pace.

But! Its that change of pace which definitely saved this book from utter tedium.

In this futuristic world, the US has been split into two countries Carolinia, the north, and Atlantia, the south. The two sides have a
Lauren Lanzilotta
I dont know why I allow any book ending to paralyze me like this.
Unacceptable.

The sci-fi genre seems to be creeping up on me out of the blue. After reading the Illuminae files, I realized that Id been missing out on an entire slew of fantastic books. The Fever King quickly becoming one of the hidden gems among them.

Noam Álvaro, a sixteen year old boy, is the sole survivor of a viral magic that killed his entire family. Soon after, he discovers that the reason for his survival was because he is

• The Fever King
  • Smoke & Summons (Numina #1)
  • Reverie
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles, #1)
  • The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray, #1)
  • Tarnished Are the Stars
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Myths and Mortals (Numina #2)
  • The Infinite Noise (The Bright Sessions #1)
  • One Word Kill (Impossible Times, #1)
  • Once & Future (Once & Future #1)
  • Deposing Nathan
  • You Asked for Perfect
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • The Gravity of Us
  • How to Be Remy Cameron
  • Docile
Victoria Lee grew up in Durham, North Carolina, where she spent twelve ascetic years as a vegetarian before discovering spicy chicken wings are, in fact, a delicacy. Shes been a state finalist competitive pianist, a hitchhiker, a pizza connoisseur, an EMT, an expat in China and Sweden, and a science doctoral student. Shes also a bit of a snob about fancy whisky.

Victoria writes early in the

Feverwake (2 books)
  • The Electric Heir (Feverwake #2)

Articles featuring this book

Move over tribute volunteers and chosen ones. There's a new wave of heroes in town. This year, the young adult category is brimmin...
“Noam held a storm in his hands, and he couldn't feel a thing.” 0 likes
“When Noam was a kid and felt picky about choking down gefilte fish on Pesach, his dad sat him down and told him the story of la pobre viejecita. Once upon a time, there was an old lady with nothing to eat but meat, fruit and sweets... and he'd flop another lump of poached fish on Noam's plate and say, "God bless us with the poverty of that poor old woman.” 0 likes