Start by marking “The Million Pieces of Neena Gill” as Want to Read:
The Million Pieces of Neena Gill

The Million Pieces of Neena Gill

How can I hold myself together, when everything around me is falling apart?

Neena's always been a good girl - great grades, parent-approved friends and absolutely no boyfriends. But ever since her brother Akash left her, she's been slowly falling apart - and uncovering a new version of herself who is freer, but altogether more dangerous.

As her wild behaviour spirals mor
Published July 11th 2019 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Million Pieces of Neena Gill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Million Pieces of Neena Gill

Start your review of The Million Pieces of Neena Gill
C.G. Drews
This is such an aching story of loss and mental health spirals. Neena is a really unreliable narrator so as you get deeper into the story...you really second-guess everything. It's so intensely in her perspective that you can't help but ache with her. Her decisions are so problematic, but at the same time...you get it?! Neeeeena, don't DO IT.

➢ #OwnVoices Rep
I really appreciate #ownvoices books because they bring a layer of power and intimacy; you can feel the heartache on the page. I have an AR
Sue
A well told story of a young girl Neena. Her parents are strict, more strict since the event of her brother.

There are many pressures on this young girl as culture too living in Britain she can be torn.

It becomes clear that Neena has mental health problems, she’s not coping well with all this.

The author did a good job with this book which I think many parents of mixed cultures and YA should read.

Sometimes we put pressure on our kids without realising the effects.
Adele Shea
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has suffered mental illness throughout my 38 years on this earth, I have found The Million Pieces of Neena Gill inspiring. Had I read this book 25 years ago, I think it would of helped me so much.
I saw alot of me in Neena and I can't help but love the amazing character that she is.
I think this book should be read by every teenager to highlight that things can be an uphill battle, the struggle is real but you are not alone. Mental illnesses are alot more common then most people re
Floor Flawless
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has such good mental health rep! It's also based on the author's experience, so own-voices.
The only thing I didn't like was the overly use of alcohol, but that's a personal thing.
I'm glad I read this book!
Nicole
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a poignant book about grief, loss, depression, anxiety, romance and fundamentally psychosis.

It's so nice to read a book that deals with a mental health subject that is not talked a lot about in literature or really at all, and when it is talked about it is often misunderstood and stigmatised.

I loved the writing style, of this book. It was so easy to read, I flew through it in just a couple of days.

This book manages to deal with such delicate subjects while still being a heart warm
Elysian
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars probably? I am still confused

Being honest, I have the feeling that this is one of those novels you will have to read at least twice to fully grasp it. I was bored most of the time and I had the feeling the story would lead nowhere until it finally did.

Characters

The MC is obviously Neena, who is searching for her brother who disappeared nearly a year ago. I didn't like Neena at all and I am not sure whether it is, because I am older than her and thought of her as very childish and immat
Claude's Bookzone
CW: (view spoiler)

A very good book about a girl dealing with mental illness. As a reader it becomes quite intense as Neena increasingly experiences psychotic episodes. You become unsure about what is real or imagined along with her. The tension was built up slowly enough that initially you felt she was an unreasonable and egocentric teenager,
;3
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
3.5

neena gill said WMW rights!

in all seriousness—this book made my heart ache. had like 10 breakdowns near the end of it.
Jasmine
I really enjoyed this! I was lucky enough to get a physical ARC of this, and may I just say, the cover is absolutely stunning!

I'll start out with trigger warnings: suicide, mental illness, psychosis, depression, and drug use.

The story arc begins pretty much as your typical younger YA novel, with a girl who loves to sneak out to parties and get drunk. But with pretty religious parents who are still suffering from past griefs, Neena's life is full of secrets and lies. This book focuses a lot on N
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q:
You have a picture of how your life will be when you’re older. A dream, I guess you could call it. Lots of dreams – some big, some small. All important. Those dreams, the belief that you will live them, propel you forward from day to day, week to week, month to month – and sometimes from minute to minute. When part of that picture shatters, slips through your fingers like ice-cold water, you can lose yourself within that loss. All your plans sink away.
But whether your dream is intact, or broke
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Eva vs The World 🌎
Aug 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: dnf
No rating.

DNF @ 34%/pg 117.

This isn’t the book’s problem. I just couldn’t get into it and I didn’t like reading about a 15 year old girl and her day drinking escapades. I understand the essence of the story and how it’s trying to portray mental health issues in young people. Unfortunately, I found the writing juvenile and could not relate to the story at all. I can, however, see why people enjoy this. It just wasn’t for me.
Museofnyxmares
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blog Post: https://museofnyxmares.wordpress.com/...

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/museofnyxma...

*I was provided with an ARC of this book by the publisher, in exchange for my honest opinion.

I think that there is a great need for more discussion around mental health in young people. And for those who don’t have the means, or simply don’t feel capable of reaching out, books serve as a great comfort and education when they tackle mental health issues. The synopsis for Neena Gill made it clear
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Be happy. That was the last words Akash Gill told his sister Neena before disappearing that night, asking her to sneak out to a party with him. It's been seven months since he left, seven months since Neena's mother has left the house, seven months since their lives were irrevocably changed. Neena has always been a model student and loyal friend, navigating the world with Akash at her side. Since he disappeared, Neena's life is no longer her own. She sneaks out to meet his former girlfriend Fion ...more
Katie Clark
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hannah
4.5 stars. What a beautiful yet heart-wrenching story. I think this book is very important but it did sometimes hit a bit too close to home and I shed a few tears whilst reading this. Overall, I'm very glad I received an ARC of this book.
Nadia
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A full review can be found on my blog, Headscarves and Hardbacks!

Trigger warning for sexual assault and suicide.

This is a powerful story about grief and loss that follows a British-Pakistani teenager whose mental health rapidly declines throughout the course of the novel and the months following her brother’s disappearance.

Although I enjoyed the book overall, I had a lot of issues with the writing at the very beginning of the story. It felt incredibly disjointed and repetitive but, ultimately, a
Caitlin
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF- 60%
I was provided an e-arc by the publishers from Netgalley.
Generic storyline and characters. Strict parents, teenager who just wants 'freedom', missing sibling, etc. The writing wasn't bad, just the storyline was something that has been seen multiple times before; if you like mental health books, then this is the book for you.
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
As the title suggests, Nina Gill is in fact in a million pieces. She struggles with holding herself together when everything around her has been falling apart. Every since her bother has left she keeps loosing her grip on sanity!

This book reminded me a lot of one memory of flora blanks ( i liked this one better) , as flora out protagonist is also very erratic, struggling and all over the place. You cannot always tell what is happening in the story because the protagonist is so unreliable.

What w
Beth Godmon
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first truly honest portrayal of teenage mental health issues that I have read. There's no sugar coating, no false hope and promises, just a realistic account of how someone can feel when their mental health is so poor.

I particularly enjoyed Emma Smith-Barton's exploration of relationships and mental health. She points out that its particularly difficult to recover from and/or understand your own mental health problems if those around you struggle themselves or do not understand what
Graine Milner
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: y10-11
Tamsin
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
The best representation of mental health in a young adult novel I have ever come across. It would have been helpful to me if there were trigger warnings (TW: mild substance abuse, psychosis, mentions of suicide) and I think that trigger warnings would be especially useful for young people reading this. Whilst excellently written, and a very realistic account of mental illness, it was obviously quite confronting at times having had no warning of what was to come.

The relationships in this novel ar
Julie Parks
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I got a copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley. Thank you.

The storyline didn't feel very fresh - the same old problems and misunderstandings with parents, age gap, sibling relationships, a kid who just wants "out" etc. We all have been there and maybe we all have felt like we have mental problems.

Books like this is a good mirror to see what it's like for someone who actually does have mental problems.

It's a good book for kids with such concerns, and parents who go through doubts abo
Denise
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
This was an incredibly tough read. Heartbreaking yet beautiful, it's a story of loss, grief and mental illness that twists your gut, tears you up, and will stay with you long after you've turned the final page.
Andrea
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ultimately, I was captivated with this book, l couldnt put it down. It was one of the quickest book I have ever read and it was so heartwarming. As it was based on a true story by the author, it made me truly appreciate everything I have. I strongly recommend this book!
Lucy
A beautifully written insight into dealing with loss, trauma and mental illness. Emma Smith-Barton shows readers not just what it’s like to experience a psychotic breakdown but also what it’s like to piece yourself back together when you feel like you’re falling apart.

Neena’s always been a good girl - great grades, parent-approved friends and absolutely no boyfriends. But ever since her brother Akash left her, she’s been slowly falling apart - and uncovering a new version of herself who is freer
V_Nerdbooks
What a hauntingly beautiful book.

A wonderful change to see a British Pakistani represented character in a book, we follow Neena coping with the disappearance of her brother, coping the only way she knows, much to the disappointment and beliefs of her strict parents.

A moving story that shows the spiral of mental illness through the eyes of the person themselves, which makes it difficult to read as it can sometimes show that the narrator is unreliable, but oh my goodness I loved her.

Grab this one,
Yasmin
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this book early and I can tell you it was PHENOMENAL.

Not going to go into detail for fear of spoilers, but Emma has dealt with so many issues in such a sensitive manner. The depiction of mental health is SO SPOT ON, it gave me tinglies. I have been searching for YEARS for a book that deals with mental health with a BAME protagonist, and THANK GOODNESS for this book - it is a sorely needed one.

Neena is a wonderful, engaging character, with (as the title suggests) so man
Nikita
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
I wish this book was around when I was younger as it would have been exactly what I needed! Firstly, seeing a Christian British-Pakistani protagonist in a YA makes me so happy, as representation matters!

Secondly, the way in which mental health is touched upon with so much care and understanding, makes it a book that anyone can read, as everyone has been through something or has seen someone close go through something. This book opens up the discussion of mental health, especially amongst young
Elite Group
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book about growing pains and grief.

I have to be honest, I don't read YA books unless you count the countless Judy Blume books I read during my own coming-of-age a thousand incarnations ago. But this book was a brilliant baptism into a genre that I could truly grow to love.

Neena Gill lives with her strict, religious, conservative Pakistani parents and one night, her older, beloved brother, Akasha simply vanishes without a trace after a party. The book deals with the different ways in
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Bearmouth
  • The Middler
  • Charlie Changes Into a Chicken
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
  • And The Stars Were Burning Brightly (And The Stars Were Burning Brightly, #1)
  • Paper Avalanche
  • Diary of a Confused Feminist
  • Nevertell
  • Good Girls Die First
  • Potkin and Stubbs (Potkin and Stubbs #1)
  • The Sky is Mine
Emma Smith-Barton was born in South Wales to Pakistani parents. Growing up between cultures has heavily influenced her writing and she is especially interested in exploring themes of identity and belonging. Before writing, she taught in secondary schools for six years and is passionate about increasing awareness of mental health in young people. Her short stories have appeared in various publicati ...more