Start by marking “The Goonies” as Want to Read:

The Goonies

It's summer in the small seaport town of Astoria and The Goonies are restless. Big developers threaten to take over the town. Then Mikey finds an old pirate map and the kids take off to find the loot that can save their neighborhood. But they never counted on skeletons with swords, a booby-trapped underground passage and the murderous ex-con, all of whom want the Goonies' ...more
Published October 31st 2009 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Goonies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goonies

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews

The Goonies is the best film EVER! And I will not listen to anyone that dares tell me differently!

My whole childhood consisted of adventures trying to replicate the film. Abandoned building sites, clay pits, getting inside those giant cable wheel things and rolling each other down hills (don't tell my Mum). Who needed Barbie dolls when there was so much fun around with danger.

But, now I find myself quite ashamed, that at 32 years of age I have never read the book it all came from. I'm ready to
Rebecca McNutt
In my experience, film novelizations are never very good, but The Goonies, already a great film and a staple of the Eighties, works surprisingly well as a book adaptation. A little like a Stephen King work, it still has all the comedy, nostalgia and action of the film but also adds in the inner emotions of the main characters, which was interesting.
Jesse
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a Goonies fan(atic), when I realized (only recently) that there was a novelized adaptation of what is one of my most beloved films, of course I had to read it. Now--in general, it seems to me that someone who picks up a movie that was made into a book should not do so out of any desire to find something “new” to read, nor expecting high prose and superb character development beyond what existed in the original screenplay, right? At least, that’s my take on it.

So, I started reading. And at
Glen Krisch
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lot of fun. One section seemed like it was added to pad the length of the book, but overall, I enjoyed it.
Kenneth
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kenneth Ellmore
April 10, 2013
5R

The Goonies
The goonies are a group of kids who try looking for treasure. There are a group of kids who are best friends there are 4 of them and their names are Mickey, Mouth, Chunk, and Data. They call themselves the goonies. They are hanging out one day in Mickey’s house and then they decide to go upstairs where there dad has all of his belongings, that’s where they stumbled upon a map for One eyed willies treasure. That’s when Mickey was explaining to them about
Jen A.
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
A classic that's just as fun and easy a read as watching the film. This was my first time reading the book; it's been a while since I saw the movie, and I was really surprised at how familiar I was (usually I'm pretty inclined to forget plot points and story lines).

The book is told solely in the voice of Michael, or Mikey, Walsh. I actually really enjoyed the perspective of reading this adventure story from a single storyteller's perspective instead of just watching all of the action.

Reading t
Rebecca
Now before I start I just want to say I love this movie! It is one of my favourites. Unfortunately for me the book did not live up to the film. It was the way it was written in first person from the point of view of Mikey (played by Sean Astin) it meant it did not for me feel like the film! Dialogue was changed things were omitted or added and it just wasn't the same. For me if I buy a movie tie-in I do it because I loved the film so it is disappointing when they change it!
Jake
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Speaking as someone who has met the actor who played Chunk (doesn't matter for a book review, but I had to brag), I loved reading this book.

The Goonies remains one of my all-time favorite children adventure stories. Like all novelizations, the book as I remember it offers some additional details and slight variations. Most importantly, you get to spend more time with Sloth and Chunk.

It's light. It's fantasy. And it is fun.
Aaron
Jul 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: childhood-reads
More childhood memories of books I read. Again, ones based on movies. Question: Why did I read the book and see the movie? Wouldn't one or the other suffice? Go figure.
Gabriel
Dec 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, read-2013
I had such a good time reading this book. Its so easy to jump in the history.
Ken
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
A very cute, very fun read.
Harry Collier IV
May 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
The Goonies is easily my favorite movie of all time. It never got a sequel which is sad but according to Stephen Spielberg and Richard Donner they just never found a script that wouldn't tarnish the first film. From this it is not a far leap to say that Donner and Spielberg aren't concerned with cashing in the name for a paycheck.
This book however, is just that.

It has differences from the movie because it is based on an early draft - I am fine with that.
It has differences from itself because th
Danillo
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's as good as the movie. And the movie is amazing!
Kim
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
listened to on youtube narrated by Chunk - Jeff Cohen - Corey Feldman
Alex Allen
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love both the movie and the book for The Goonies. The book was so similar that I was imagining the movie as I read the book.
Amanda
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my most favorite books! Excellent for all ages!
dean penwarden
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great storie

Been a fan of the goonies for year round this what great read the story is from micky view. Must read for all goonies fans
Nathan Strik
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Read this as a kid and loved it. Now it's okay. Badly written, but still fun in a nostalgic way.
Hayley
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goonies

Exactly like the film, as told by Mikey funny... Adventurous and great. Chunk mouth and data were great characters Goonies
Creepyquills
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Goonies happens to be my fav. movie! So when I realized it was a novel as well I had to get it. I enjoyed a more in-depth look into each characters personalities and background. There is also a lot more Mouth/Stef sass and Data's Gadgets moments that I LOVE. There was a wonderful part where The Goonies are on a river and they spend the time bonding and talking about their fears. I thought that was a very touching moment. One thing about this novel that bugged me a lot at first was getting us ...more
Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen)
The Goonies is my all-time favorite movie, so after discovering that there was a novel version of it, I had to read it. It follows the movie almost exactly, but there are extra scenes and dialogue that wasn't present in the movie. The book is written in first person in Mikey's voice, and the narrative is true to how a young boy might talk if he was telling you his adventure about finding a treasure map, running from escaped fugitives, discovering a long-lost pirate ship, and saving his beloved h ...more
Karlton
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
The novelization is a lost art of the twentieth century. I guess with the advent of home video, there was no need for a book version of a movie that you could pick up and watch at home on television. When I was a kid, I'd devour adaptations of movies I liked, but they seem to have gone away for better or worse.

I was intrigued to see that Amazon had a Kindle version of this little book, and it is one of the better novelizations I've read. James Kahn solves the POV problem with some ingenuity, and
Damien Morley
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really love this movie, so I wanted to read this book to see how close it was to the movie and it was pretty much spot on. there were a few more scenes that were in the deleted scenes of the movie that I found, but other than that there were pretty much identical. I personally like the movie better because the book described more about different parts in the movie that could have been more simplified. other than that I enjoyed the book. it would be a good book to read if you enjoy mystery's.
Colleen
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I will never betray my goon dock friends.
We will stick together until the whole world ends. Through heaven and hell, and nuclear war, good pals like us will stick like tar. In the city, or the country, or the forest, or boonies, I am proudly declared one of the Goonies!!!
Very nostalgic. Pretty close to a play by play of the movie.
Thomas
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-1994
I read this before the movie came out, way back in 1985. I was a hardcore fan of the things I liked even way back when. I remember being bummed that there were scenes from the book cut from the movie, but I remember liking it well enough.
Michael Latiolais
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the things I find interesting about novelizations of movies is that they often include scenes which were cut from the movies. There are several such scenes here, including the giant squid/octopus scene which actually explains why walking the plank was something the kids were scared of.
Jessica Buraslan
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This is a pretty good child's book that will enchant grown ups. This book is just like the movie, only adding more details. If you like the movie (which you did, or else what's wrong with you?!), you'll definitely love this.
Charlie Mcallister
Jul 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
i don't know why, but this is one of my favorite books of all time. he wrote it like a teenage boy's diary, and it really outdoes the movie. and i love the movie. when i was a kid, i wanted to be a jedi or a goonie.
Jami
Aug 22, 2009 added it
Back in the 80's I read many, many movie adaptations. I don't know why.
Jose Teixeira Neto
Nostalgia. :)
The Goonies Novelization is on Kindle! 9 4 Dec 12, 2015 04:42AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 10 The Goonies 1 4 Jan 29, 2014 09:21PM

• Johnny Mnemonic: The Screenplay and the Story
  • Christmas in the Trenches
  • Nick and the Glimmung
  • Happy Birthday, Danny and the Dinosaur!
  • The Traveler
  • Ghosts: A Treasury of Chilling Tales Old & New
  • Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula: The Film and the Legend
  • The Snows of Kilimanjaro/The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Indiana Jones #3)
  • Loving (Caitlin: Love Trilogy, #1)
  • Press Enter
  • Back to the Future
James Kahn is an American medical specialist and writer, best known for his novelization of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. Born in Chicago on December 30, 1947, Kahn received a degree in medical studies from the University of Chicago. His post-graduate training, specializing in Emergency Medicine, was completed at USC-LA County Hospital and UCLA. His original work includes three novels ...more
“Look, a couple years ago my mom and dad got on that big game show. Remember, Brand? Mom spent a month makin' those funny costumes. She was a giant egg. Dad was a frying pan. Dad kept sayin' we were gonna live on Easy Street. So we drove all the way to Hollywood. When we got there, they put us in this big audience with all these other people in funny costumes. Then some dude with lipstick and sprayed hair came down the stairs. He” 0 likes
“Data had an idea, though. He grabbed a twenty-volt battery out of his pack and connected two long wires to each pole. Then he crouched in the pool and stuck the ends of the wires into the water. The leeches writhed all over him and fell off—electrocuted.” 0 likes