Start by marking “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Indiana Jones #2)” as Want to Read:
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Indiana Jones #2)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Indiana Jones: Film Novelizations #2)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  2,085 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
In his newest adventure, Indiana Jones travels to India accompanied by a female torch singer named Willie Scott and an eleven-year-old boy named Short Round, his self-appointed side-kick.
Published April 29th 2008 by Del Rey (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
Love the movies! The book was pretty good, follows the story well but 'reading' those iconic scenes as opposed to 'seeing' them doesn't do them justice, feels a tad drawn out.
Sara
Aug 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
[2.0]
R.
Jul 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1974-2002
Birthday gift. Was left for me on the piano next to...I forget...but it was all bright and shiny (supermarket paperback) and the only thing I wanted, besides a bullwhip.
Mark
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The time is 1935. Through a series of misadventures in Shanghai - and a narrow escape from death - Indiana Jones finds himself in a remote village in India. A mysterious shaman says his arrival has been foreseen and that Indy and his companions, Willie Scott and Short Round, are destined to save the villagers.

The prequel to Raiders - Jones is a different character here, more inclined towards “fortune and glory, kid, fortune and glory” than putting items in a museum - this is fast paced, occasion
Teo
Dec 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
The adventures of everyone’s favorite professor continue in what is a prequel to “The Raiders of the Lost Ark”, where Indy and his two companions – the beautiful Willie and the mischievous Short Round – venture into the heart of India to stumble upon a dreadful secret – a horrific cult of death devoted to the worship of Kali.

This time, penned by James Kahn instead of Campbell Black. Having read three other Indy novels beforehand by all three authors – McCoy, MacGregor and Caidin – I was pleasant
Kim
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
I read this thing until it disintegrated when I was ten. The whole thing just fell apart. It gets a retroactive five stars because I think even trying to read it today would not dull the nostalgic glow!
Mark
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: drama, film, horror
The prequel to "Raiders", this follows the film closely and works well, though since the source is a lot darker, so this is. Some of the sequences are unpleasant (especially considering the age it was marketed towards) but it all comes good in the end.
Andrew
Outstanding. Probably my favourite Indiana Jones film and Kahn presents a faithful recreation of the events of the movie - alongside Short Round and Willie Scott, Indy ends up tangling with the Thuggee cult, who worshiped Kali in rather violent ways - with plenty of extra, interesting detail. As much fun as the movie.
Arwen
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I've only watched the movie once, and can say I only remember about 10 mins of it. The book was very interesting, probably better than the movie (can you say that about a book adaptation?) In really gets into what Short Round (Indie's Asian kid side-kick) is thinking, and in that way makes the story seem to come from his point of view.
Paolo Calabrò
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
As far as adaptations go, not bad.
Sean Carlin
After previously rereading Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time since I was a kid, I moved on to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. What follows isn't a review of the story, which, over thirty years on, is still a cinematic classic (though initially viewed as a lesser follow-up to Raiders that was later compensated for with the splendid Last Crusade, the passage of time has placed Temple on equal critical footing with those other two entries, and its darker overtones are even -- and rig ...more
Karen
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jacob
Jacob has loved all the Indiana Jones books! He just blows right through them...krb 2/28/17
Zack Mcquaide
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Indiana Jones book review

This book, Indiana Jones and the temple of doom by James Kahn, is the book I am reading now. It is about three people. Dr. Jones, Short round, And a woman named Willi. the three of them make an odd group. Indie is an American archaeologist traveling around the world. He found Short round in Asia picking his pocket. He is now Dr. Jones bodyguard. He is doing this because he wants to go to America. Indie found willie at a club while trying to trade with a man that had a di
Daniel
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love absolutely enjoyed reading this film novelization of Temple of Doom. When I a kid Temple of Doom was always my favorite. I identified with the character of Short Round because there was kid having all sorts of adventures with Indiana Jones. I remember thinking "Hey!I can also follow Indy!"

I loved how Short Round's character (and also Willie Scott) was explored more in the novel. The reader comes to truly root for Short Round (and also Willie Scott). The whole novel follows the film to th
Julian Gonzales
I loved this book. It had me hooked for a couple of days. This book is about another Indiana Jones book with a couple guests; a little kid named Short Round and an American actress named Willie. Jones finds himself in China looking for an artifact, but he is tricked when flying away, and his plane crashes in India. A village asks for his help to get their ancient stones from people named Thugies, so he and Willie along with Short Round go to Pankot Palace to find the stones. Indiana Jones is man ...more
Jake
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This book gives us the real story, the whole story—the story Spielberg was too timid to show onscreen. This book answers the question, “What was Short Round doing prior to picking up Indy and Willie outside Club Obi Wan?”
Seriously, I’ve always had a soft spot for this Indiana Jones installment. I think people, including Spielberg, are actually less fond of it because it doesn’t cater to American fascination with Judeo-Christian myth. How can glowing stones possibly be as cool as the lost Ark of
Kiera
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
I have always been a huge Indiana Jones fan, no more so, than when I was in my tweens. My dad taped Temple Of Doom off the tellie for me and it's safe to say that I wore out the VHS tape for the amount of times I watched it. It quickly became my favorite of the three Indy films (For most people, it's their worst. What can I say? I defy the norm.) When I found the novelisation in a used book store in my mum's home town for just $4, I snapped it up quick smart and loved it just as much as the film ...more
Maura
Usually when I pick up a book based on a movie (not the other way around!) I'm trying to see a bit more of the characters insights or motivations. That wasn't actually why I read this, but its what I got out of it and I immediately wanted to go watch this movie just to see all those things I just read about. It was an okay book in that respect - nothing to write home about. One could just as easily see the movie.
Noah Martinmaas
This book is really good if you like adventures. Just like the movie Indiana Jones has to go to the Temple of Doom. It was pretty simular to the movie so if you liked the movie then you would enjoy reading this book a lot. There is a lot of action in this book so it doesn't get boreing. Overall I would recemmend it to anyone.
Rachael
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: indiana-jones
The majority of this novelization is flat and pedestrian. It adds nothing to the film. The notable exception to that is any scene written from the perspective of Short Round. James Kahn did a fantastic job of capturing his voice and expanding the character. Unfortunately since this is Indiana Jones and the... not Short Round and the..., that isn't enough to save the book.
Stephen
Maybe I've been spoiled on the prequel novels, but trying to read the Indiana Jones series in chronological order made this one kind of a let down. Kahn does a decent job with the basic storyline, but it is as if he was working with an early script version instead of the shooting script. Now unlike some other readers I did enjoy much of Short Round's commentary.
Edward Diesel
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Middle of the road Indiana Jones. Not terrible, but not great. There isn't much one could do with Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz's sub-Gunga Din script but at least this Indy Jones story is different than the others. With all of its weaknesses, I still prefer this story to the Last Crusade because Crusade merely rehashes Raiders.
Lord Humungus
I liked this book for its dark and occult slant, with cultists, ritual sacrifice and eating-of-monkey-brains. I distinctly remember certain scenes being far more evocative in the book than in the movie. In the end, despite a few interesting sequences, both book and film were mediocre at best, with the book being better IMHO.
Nicolaas
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Indiana Jones movies are far superior to the books. It’s just not as fun to read those iconic scenes as apposed see Harrison Ford and the gang act it out. The book did a good job of giving me the need to go watch those films again, instead of leaving me with the need to read further.
Misbah
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Indiana Jones, along with a beautiful woman and an 11 yr old sidekick, get tangled up with a violent cult that worships Kali.

My first Indiana Jones novel, I think I read this even before I watched any of the movies. Fast-paced and darker than I expected but a fun read.
Edward Creter
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My fave Indy Jones movie-book and it took 3 days tocomplete!!! I liked the way Mr. Kahn allowed the friendship of Indy and Short Round to develop. And what happened to Shorty anyway? Best part: Indy kicks ass as soon as he awakens from the evil power of voodoo. Total ROCKSville!!!
Sue
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Junior novelization of the movie, follows the movie story line fairly well. Indy and Short Round, and Willi adventure to the Indian continent, fight the evil at the monastery and return the stones to the village.
Kayla
Oct 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
The movie this book was based on is my least favorite Indiana Jones movie, so the book, of course, was my least favorite Indiana Jones movie novelization. I liked how it followed the movie almost exactly though.
Anh
Jan 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
I don't know why I thought I'd read a book based on a movie.
colleen
Dec 26, 2007 rated it liked it
read 04.02.85
read 08.01.85
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Indiana Jones #3)
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Indiana Jones #4)
  • Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx (Indiana Jones: Prequels, #12)
  • Indiana Jones and the White Witch (Indiana Jones: Prequels, #8)
  • The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones
  • Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead (Indiana Jones: Prequels, #13)
  • The Adventures of Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones)
  • The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films
  • Indiana Jones Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Gremlins
  • Star Trek Log Ten (Star Trek: Logs, #10)
  • Batman
  • Willow
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)
James Kahn is an American medical specialist and writer, best known for his novelization of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. Born in Chicago on December 30, 1947, Kahn received a degree in medical studies from the University of Chicago. His post-graduate training, specializing in Emergency Medicine, was completed at USC-LA County Hospital and UCLA. His original work includes three novels ...more
More about James Kahn

Indiana Jones: Film Novelizations (4 books)
  • Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (Indiana Jones #1)
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Indiana Jones #3)
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Indiana Jones #4)

Fiction Deals

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prince of Tides
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Say Her Name
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    $12.99 $1.99
“Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.” 11 likes
“I very little, you cheat big!
– Short Round”