Start by marking “Grandmother School” as Want to Read:
Grandmother School

Grandmother School

Orca has bought the picture book Grandmother School by Rina Singh, illustrated by Renné Benoit. The book tells the true story of a community of grandmothers in India, courageously fighting the shame of illiteracy and subsequently affirming the life-changing power of education. Publication is slated for spring 2020.
Published April 6th 2020 by Orca (first published 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Grandmother School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandmother School

Start your review of Grandmother School
La Coccinelle
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, children, arc
Grandmother School is a sweet little book based on real events.

Many grandmothers in India can't read or write. In one village, a teacher sought to change that and created the Aajibaichi Shala, or Grandmother School. Every day, the children walk their grandmothers in their bright pink saris to the school, where they learn reading and basic arithmetic.

Though this story is narrated by a fictional little girl, it's based on what happened in Phangane, India in 2016. So those who are looking for pictu
Carla Johnson-Hicks
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Grandmother School is based on a true story from the village of Phangane, India. Because girls did not go to school in many countries, most grandmothers in India are illiterate. Each morning, the narrator walks her grandmother (aaji) to the Aajibaichi Shala (Grandmother School) in her uniform, a bright pink sari. As a retired teacher, this story thrilled me. I believe it is never too late to learn and that we are never too old. Basic reading, writing and mathematics is what the Aajis learn. I lo ...more
Etienne
Mar 19, 2020 rated it liked it
2,5/5. I always love and respect the message of those multicultural book for children, but unfortunately the way the tell the story, and the artwork, isn't the most interesting or captivating for young readers. Love the message, but not much the book...
Patricia Keeler
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A perfect marriage of story and art! This is a heartwarming story based on actual events. A village school in India is created for grandmothers to learn to read and write, and add and subtract. A granddaughter, early on in her own education, takes the lead to encourage and support her grandmother’s efforts at the Grandmother School.

I like the spot on way the art incorporates the Marathi words learned by the grandmother, “words like cloud, sky, rain, mango, water, bird, hill, river.” And in simil
OjoAusana
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* This is such an amazing book! Loved the art style and the way the story is told and its so cool its based off a true story!
Leslie
First, I need to admit that I underestimated this book. I was thinking it would be a quaint sort of relationship book between a grandmother and her granddaughter. Kind of a “how sweet,” and soft satisfied sigh kind of book. A hallmark card, like picture books can be… I was wrong.

Second, I may have cried a little reading this picture book. If you are at risk of being as moved as I am by stories of compassion, liberation, and courage under contexts of oppression and are going to read this book alo
Tonisha
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautifully illustrated books I've seen comes out on May 5 🎉 "Grandmother School" is based on the true story of a school located in a remote village in India that was created just for grandmothers.

In this touching and sweet book, we learn about Aaji and the other courageous grandmothers in her village that are working to escape the shame and prison of illiteracy. The narrator is Aaji's precocious granddaughter. She proudly recalls how much her grandmother enjoys learning and abo
shadesofwords
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Orca and NetGalley for sending me an ARC. Being from India, I have been consciously exploring children’s literature that I can expose to my American-born son. The beautiful cover of this book caught my eye - and this book was exactly what I was looking for.
Grandmother’s School is written by Rina Singh, a Canadian writer famous for other children’s books on Indian culture. As the name suggests, this story is about a school for grandmothers. This is a special school set up in a small vil
shadesofwords
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Orca and NetGalley for sending me an ARC.  Being from India, I have been consciously exploring children’s literature that I can expose to my American-born son. The beautiful cover of this book caught my eye - and this book was exactly what I was looking for.
Grandmother’s School is written by Rina Singh, a Canadian writer famous for other children’s books on Indian culture. As the name suggests, this story is about a school for grandmothers. This is a special school set up in a small vi
Mary
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful picture book! This book is based on a true story of a teacher who in 2016 in India decided to creat a school for grandmother's to learn basic writing, reading, and math skills. These grandmothers were never given the chance to go to school, but now they do. The illustrations are beautiful with vibrant colors. The text is nice and lends itself to a great read-aloud for ages 5-8 y/o, with room for discussion. #Netgalley
Rune Oflynne
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. The illustrations are colorful, fun and give glimpses into the world of grandmothers in India going to school. The interactions between grandmother and granddaughter struck a chord with my own granddaughter and now it is one of her favorite books.
Jane Miller
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book. I picked it because it featured a grandmother. Being a grandmother myself I knew that I would enjoy the story of the special bond between a grandmother and her granddaughter. It is a very special connection. BUT this story is so much more. It is the true story of a group of grandmothers in a small village in India given the chance to learn the alphabet and to learn some early math. Because one teacher believed in the importance of everyone knowing how to read these ...more
joyce w. laudon
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a vibrantly illustrated story about a girl, her grandmother and a grandmother school in India. The classrooml was created to help grandmothers obtain the education that they were denied when younger.

Readers and listeners will delight in the close relationship between a young girl and her grandmother who both want to learn.  Those who pick up this story will feel the joy when grandmother no longer needs to sign with her fingerprint at the bank but can write her name.  She is on a learni
Lala
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful and enlightening story based on true events. The story is broken down to help younger children understand the situations, it's best for 6 and ups I would think. The illustrations are lovely. It's a beautiful reminder to not take education for granted, that there are many who still don't have access to reading and writing. I enjoyed reading about the Grandmother School, it is an inspiring story.
Srividhya Venkat
It is indeed heartwarming to see one's culture represented in picture books. When I heard about this book and saw a few images online, I knew this book had to be part of my collection.
Inspired by a true story, this vibrant book about grandmothers going to school in Phangane village in Maharashtra transported me back to my years in Mumbai through its authentic visual representation of local Maharashtrian culture. I can't decide which spread I like the best. I LOVE THEM ALL!
I love the story too,
Amanda
Reading about these grandmothers in their pink saris stole my heart. Based on real events in the village of Phangane, where there is a school, the Aajibaichi Shala, for grandmothers. Can you picture their grandchildren walking them to school every day (except Thursdays, the day of prayer)? They are all excited to learn! I often take my learning for granted--please don't misunderstand me, as I love to learn something new every single day, and I can be a big geek about learning--but the very fact ...more
April Gray
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet and uplifting story, based on a real school in Phangane, India. A little girl walks her Aaji (grandmother) to the Aajibaichi Shala (grandmother school), created by the girl's teacher, who thought all the residents of the village should be able to read and write, even the grandmothers who weren't allowed to go to school when they were children. The joy of Aaji and the other women can be felt in the illustrations, as can the pride the little girl feels for Aaji. The artwork is wonderful- t ...more
Miss Alissa
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse-stories
Grandmother School is written by Rina Singh and illustrated by Ellen Rooney.

This story follows a little girl as she explains to the reader about the Grandmother School that her Aaji (grandmother) attends. The story is based of true events where a school was started in Phangane, India, for elderly women who were not permitted to go to school when they were children, and then never got the opportunity later when they were raising their family and after it was finally permitted for girls to learn.
Annamarie Carlson
In Phangane, a remote village in India, grandchildren walk their grandmothers to a special grandmother school. As children, these grandmothers watched their brothers go to school. As mothers, they sent their own children-sons and daughters-to school. Now, as grandmothers, they are finally learning to read and write themselves.

Wow! Told from the perspective of a granddaughter, this beautiful book tells the story of real women in India who are grasping their chance to learn to read. Great choice
Julie Hedlund
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbs-to-read
The sweet story of a little girl encouraging her grandmother who is going to school for the first time is based on a true story. I love how the book portrays the pride the grandmother takes in her learning, and the dignity shown as the characters are able to learn for the first time in their lives. Te gorgeous, evocative illustrations are perfectly suited to the text.
Lynn  Davidson
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
In India in 2016, a small school was built just for grandmothers. They were never given a chance before that to learn to read or write. In this sweet story, a young girl walks her grandmother to school each day, and quietly helps her with homework she has trouble with. Lovely illustrations for this wonderful story of women breaking free of illiteracy.
Kitty
Aug 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this on the shelf at work and thought it was really sweet. It was a lovely story and the artwork was beautiful. It was cool to know that it was based on a true story, though I expect I was saying some of the names wrong so I'll have to look them up before I read it to anyone!
Jared White
A lovely book based on a true story about a little school in India that is the Grandmother School. Grandmothers who saw their brothers go to school and then sent their children to school never had a chance to go as well until a little school was set up just for them.
Emily Tucker
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Grandmother School is an absolutely charming book. The story was so sweet and meaningful. Also the illustrations are beautiful. Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with the digital copy.
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Lisa D
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved ! What a beautiful interesting story! Beautifully illustrated !
Deb
Jun 24, 2020 added it
Shelves: fiction-picture, 2020
I enjoyed this one. I hope more grandmothers (and all people in general) are allowed and helped to learn.
Susan Menk
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: multicultural
Wonderful book about grandmothers in India going back to school to learn to read and write. Based on actual events, this story reminds us all that is never too late to learn something new.
Darshana Khiani
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved everything about this book - the story, the text, and the gorgeous art.
An inspiring book for any new reader showing that you are never too young to learn.
Joan Marie
An inspirational story about grandmothers in a remote village in India who finally get the opportunity to go to school. "As children, these grandmothers watched their brothers go to school. As mothers, they sent their own children to school. But no one gave them a chance to go to school. In March 2016 they were given a chance, and they took it."

• Catch That Chicken!
  • No Fuzzball!
  • I Believe I Can
  • I Talk Like a River
  • Our Subway Baby
  • The Little Ghost Who Lost Her Boo!
RINA SINGH was born in India and immigrated to Canada in 1980. She has an MFA in Creative Writing from Concordia University and a teaching degree from McGill University. Before moving from Montreal to Toronto, she taught creative writing to gifted children. She has since written several critically acclaimed books for children. Her book A Forest of Stories has been translated into several languages ...more

News & Interviews