Start by marking “The Passengers” as Want to Read:
The Passengers

The Passengers

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  6,877 ratings  ·  1,394 reviews
Eight self-drive cars set on a collision course. Who lives, who dies? You decide.

When someone hacks into the systems of eight self-drive cars, their passengers are set on a fatal collision course.

The passengers are: a TV star, a pregnant young woman, a disabled war hero, an abused wife fleeing her husband, an illegal immigrant, a husband and wife - and parents of two - who
Published April 1st 2019 by Ebury Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Passengers, please sign up.
Eiain Open up a UK Amazon account, and purchase it through Kindle. You will need to read it on a computer, tablet or phone as your Kindle will be registered…moreOpen up a UK Amazon account, and purchase it through Kindle. You will need to read it on a computer, tablet or phone as your Kindle will be registered to your US account.

Brilliant book and since the UK government has now decided that all cars need to be electric in the next 10 years, autonomous cars will be next, and with this John Marrs' story may end up to be fact and not fiction.(less)
Claire Some of the characters are married or dating.
Some of the characters are married or dating.
There is nothing more romantically explicit than kissing, however there are graphic descriptions of terrorist acts of violence(less)

·  6,877 ratings  ·  1,394 reviews

Start your review of The Passengers
Chelsea Humphrey
Now Available!

One of the reasons I'm drawn to everything that John Marrs writes is that he takes the mundane and gives it a soapy spin. I mean this as the highest of compliments, because there's nothing I adore more than a unique idea that's brimming with drama, and I like for my psychological thrillers to contain not only the traditional aspects of crime fiction, but also the secrets hidden by our characters that pertain to their daily lives. I was slightly worried going into this one that the
myra
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was so good, I couldn’t put this book down. Took one break in between to eat and went straight back reading. Can’t remember the last time i finished a book in one day. John Marrs had me shook!

The plot twist in the end, my god. This is the first book that i have read by Mr. Marrs and I’m definitely going to give his other books a try.

It’s better if you read The Passengers without knowing what the story is about. I think that it will make it more enjoyable. At least, for me it was.
Anyway, I
Deanna
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

What an awesome read!

Self-driving cars have recently become the norm in England. Their government has pledged that soon all of England’s roads will be a completely autonomous network and that all manual vehicles will be banned within the next ten years.

The first character/passenger we meet is twenty-six year old, Claire Arden. Claire was fascinated when her car delivered itself to her house a few weeks ago. However, the
Dita
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It may have come to your attention that your vehicle is no longer under your management. From here on in, I am in charge of your destination. The only thing you need to know is that two hours and thirty minutes from now, it is highly likely that you will be dead."

In the not too distant future, eight automated vehicles are taken over by an unknown hacker with an unknown agenda...all broadcast for the whole world to see. Soon, the social media voting begins. Who lives? Who dies?

Spending time in
Nilufer Ozmekik
Five billions, need an urgent brain transplant cause my old one is just blown away and out of order stars!!!
My head still hurts like I tossed it against the wall thousand times and I started to see cartoon stars on my head as soon as I finish this one! I cannot say I’m speechless because I forgot four languages I’ve known ( including my native one) right now so I’m out of words.
This is so revolutionary, innovative, creative book makes you think a lot, thrill a lot and numb your mind! It makes
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

Libby is called to serve as a juror and has to decide which passenger should survive along with other jurors. Then the public has to decide too. This is set in the future with driverless cars. You just program the car where to go and the car takes you there.

There are eight driverless cars and the passengers find out that their cars are hacked and that they are set on a fatal collision course.

The passengers speak for themselves and tells the jurors and the public why they should be
Kaceey
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, buddy-read
4.5*
It’s dark, it’s disturbing, it’s chilling. Yup, all that combined means you have an absolute must read!

We’re beginning to see major advances in driver-less car technology. Now even being test driven across North America and all over the world.
So I’ll pose the question we’re all thinking - Can you picture yourself as a passenger, with no control over your vehicle whatsoever? No brakes, no steering wheel. And it’s not like leading technologies have ever back-fired, right?
So if something goes
Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
Holy Shooty Balls!!! Gripping, chilling, & absolutely unputdownable!

THE PASSENGERS by JOHN MARRS is an engrossing, chilling, suspenseful, dark, disturbing, fun, easy, brisk, and highly compulsively readable psychological thriller that was another rapid-raced read for me. I was immediately sucked into the narrative and devoured every single page of this highly entertaining and thrilling book. Once I started reading it I was immediately hooked and so absorbed in the storyline that I finished
Julie
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The Passengers by John Marrs is a 2019 Berkley Books publication.

An unrelenting techno-thriller!!

Set in the not so distant future, Britain has made driverless cars mandatory. Not only that there are no longer manual overrides, placing the passenger at the total mercy of technology. When there is an accident a jury is called in to judge who was at fault. Let’s just say they had better not rule against the car.

Despite the claim the autonomous car is the safest choice for all concerned, one
Brenda -Traveling Sister
Readers start your thrill and let the best passenger win. Try to stay calm and strap yourself in. Its techno-thriller time!

John Marrs takes us on an entertaining, chilling action-packed, fast track ride to the unthinkable where technology and humans collide in more ways than one. This is one ride where the fear of death is more than the thrill and no one wants to finish this course.

It's all about the entertainment here and John Marrs knows how to revive up the tension here by adding quite the
Susanne  Strong
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, buddy-read
4 Stars

“The Passengers” by John Marrs is a scream, I promise!

Eight driverless cars. Eight passengers, all of whom have a secret and a specific plan for that morning. None arrive at their intended destination.

There is a Hacker who knows everything about everyone and he has decided to take control. There are five members of the jury whose sole purpose is to decide who lives and who dies.

The fear is real my friends. “The Passengers” will scare you. Yea, “The Jetsons” made the idea of a futuristic
Dita
Jan 05, 2020 added it
I accidentally deleted my review...

Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
OMG this book is absolutely brilliant! How have I not read a John Marrs book before this? Where has this author been all my life?! Seriously this book had me at the edge of my seat the entire wild ride.

I have been eagerly awaiting to get my hands on a copy of this book! The book came out earlier in the year for my fellow bloggers across the pond and after reading each fantastic review one after another, I knew this was going to be one heck of a book. It is finally due to come out here in the
Felicia
Aug 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
I cannot recall reading a more absurd book in my life.

At first the absurdity was laugh out loud funny.

Then the whole ridiculousness of it kinda started pissing me off as it became more and more farcical by the page.

I'm not even going to bother with a full review. I've wasted enough of my time on this buffoonery dressed up as a novel.

**I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.**
marilyn
The Passengers hits too close to home. There are already self driving cars, trucks, and buses, even if they aren't being used to the extent that is written about in the book. The story takes place in the near future when self driving cars for everyone are not only the majority of the cars on the road but will be required for everyone, eventually.

The book starts with eight self driving cars, each with a passenger, that will collide in about two and a half hours. There is a group of five people
Bibi
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Berit☀️✨
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc-physical
This is my brain. This is my brain after reading this book. Any questions?

John Marrs completely blew my mind with this exhilarating thriller! Eight passengers in eight separate driverless cars, all of them with secrets, none of them making it to their desired destination. Imagine you're in a driverless car you have no control, no brakes, no steering wheel, you can't even open the doors,and somebody has taken over the car. In 2 1/2 hours all eight of these cars will collide head on end it is up
Carolyn
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, futuristic, thriller
It's the near future and Britain is in the process of making autonomous, driverless cars mandatory and phasing out driver controlled cars for it's citizens. Cars with software that can be programmed with the destination, choice of music and temperature while the passengers sit back and relax, eating, reading or catching up on a little work. Not every one is in favour of autonomous cars and the decisions they make when an accident occurs but a inquest panel has been set up to investigate any ...more
Zoeytron
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
As we grow lazier and more complacent, artificial intelligence grows smarter, insinuating its sticky fingers in more and more aspects of our lives. This tale deals with autonomous vehicles and their seven random passengers. Programming has been wiped clean and rerouting to an unknown destination is underway. Cameras everywhere are recording and broadcasting everything. Is this a variation on the theme of reality TV, or an elaborate hoax meant to prove a point? Or is it something else entirely? ...more
NZLisaM
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
John Marrs' best, and most ambitious, book to date.

Picture this! It's the near future and you're cruising along in your state-of-the-art driverless car. You might be eating breakfast, applying makeup, reading a book, talking on the phone, or just relaxing, when all of a sudden your car deviates from it's pre-programmed destination.

Then a voice sounds from the centre console:

‘”It may have come to your attention that your vehicle is no longer under your management. From here on in, I am in charge
Tan Markovic
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
When you want to write a review but have no idea how to do the book justice :')

John Marrs never disappoints....

What an amazing book!
Bren
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Where do I begin?
I cheated.

I looked at the end way before I was done.

I could not help it.

I guess I would not make a good Passenger Juror.

But I HAD to know..I just had to.

This book was so DIFFERENT.

Never has anyone got social media so right. The man had me howling with laughter at some of it.

A bit to much violence for me though. On second thought scratch the "a bit".

Movie in the making I'm sure.

Happy Fourth of July.

Proper review to follow shortly.

4 stars.
Dennis
I can't believe I was just able to binge read another 400+ page book in record speed. I recently read John Marrs's The One because I heard it was going to be a Netflix series, so I was very excited to pick up his latest Black Mirror-esque novel, The Passengers . The Passengers takes place in the not so distant future, and autonomous cars are now regulated and compulsory during UK's new plan to try and circumvent human error for fatalities, accidents, pollution, and other traffic related ...more
Toni
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The premise of this clever and well-written sci-fi thriller, set in the UK in a very near future, is fascinating. The AI that controls eight driverless cars moving to their different destinations is hacked, the destinations are reprogrammed, while the passengers become a hostage to a mysterious and seemingly omniscient Hacker who informs them that in 2 1/2 hours they are going to die.

The story alternates between showing what happens to the people in the cars (who come from all walks of life: a
Jayme
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars (rounded down)

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELTS!

John Marrs is about to take you on a terrifying ride!

in the UK, British citizens are finding “The One” (from his previous book) using “MATCH YOUR DNA” technology and driverless vehicles will replace those driven by humans within the next 5 years.

After all, these vehicles have rarely been found to be at fault, by the Vehicle Inquest Jury, whenever an accident has occurred and blame must be found.

The jury is gathered to review the latest accidents
Jilly
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, thrillers
When I saw the reviews for this book around goodreads I thought it was a book version of that terrible movie with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence and was like:

The bear is right. Nobody wants to see that.

So, when I actually did the unthinkable and you know, read the reviews, I was like:

Except with finger guns.

This book is totally crazy and I loved it. Driverless cars out of control? Evil hacker gonna kill lots of people? Yeah, baby! I'm all in!

The best part is when (almost) everyone turns out
Carol
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
TERROR!

The Warning: "In approximately two hours time, you are going to die."

In a not too distant futuristic world, artificial intelligence in self-driving cars is still suspect by many, and Libby is one of them....."The only time you'll see me in one of them is when I'm in the back of a hearse." But despite her hatred for all things driverless, Libby finds herself forced to be a part of a jury vehicle inquest for the U.K. Government that turns into an explosive nightmare!

We meet eight

Pauline
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
I'm a big fan of John Marrs books and I was delighted to receive an ARC of his new book The Passengers and I was not disappointed.
I was hooked from the first page and I did not want to put it down.
This thriller is about the dangers of technology. Eight driverless cars have their operation systems hacked and are on a collision course. The passengers are told this and we see their reactions and the reactions of the social media and television audiences.
This book kept me on the edge of my seat with
Marialyce
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The future can be a scary thing. It's not always something to look forward to and in this book, we find out that what was thought as innovation, making our human lives that much better, that much safer, might just turn out to be a terror ridden ride into a world we never would dream of being possible.

Eight passengers in eight driver less cars are headed to their destruction. Little do they know that when they entered these vehicles they and ultimately the rest of the world would watch in
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
4.5 Stars
I saw some amazing reviews for this on goodreads by some trusted friends so had to give it a try. Because I have SO many paper books to get through I thought audio would be a good idea. Turned out to be a great idea!

The Story
Eight passengers have been taken hostage in futuristic UK. Their driverless cars have been hacked are going to collide with each other, killing them all. Who are the hackers? What do they want?

My Thoughts:

• Rewind
  • Twisted
  • The Warehouse
  • The Rumour
John Marrs is the author of The One, The Good Samaritan, When You Disappeared, Her Last Move and Welcome to Wherever You Are.

A former freelance journalist based in London, England, he spent twenty-five years interviewing celebrities from the world of television, film and music for national newspapers and magazines until becoming a full-time author in 2018.

He has written for publications including
“A priest I knew once told me “a candle loses nothing by lighting another candle” 0 likes
“Claire recalled how some years before they’d met, geneticists had discovered all humans carried a gene shared by just one other person in the world. That person was apparently the one genetically made for you – the person you were destined to fall in love with. They could be of any age, any sex, any religion and in any location.” 0 likes