Start by marking “The Passengers” as Want to Read:
The Passengers

The Passengers

Eight self-drive cars set on a collision course. Who lives, who dies? You decide.

When someone hacks into the systems of eight self-drive cars, their passengers are set on a fatal collision course.

The passengers are: a TV star, a pregnant young woman, a disabled war hero, an abused wife fleeing her husband, an illegal immigrant, a husband and wife - and parents of two - who
Published April 1st 2019 by Ebury Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Passengers, please sign up.
Eiain Open up a UK Amazon account, and purchase it through Kindle. You will need to read it on a computer, tablet or phone as your Kindle will be registered…moreOpen up a UK Amazon account, and purchase it through Kindle. You will need to read it on a computer, tablet or phone as your Kindle will be registered to your US account.

Brilliant book and since the UK government has now decided that all cars need to be electric in the next 10 years, autonomous cars will be next, and with this John Marrs' story may end up to be fact and not fiction.(less)

myra
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was so good, I couldn’t put this book down. Took one break in between to eat and went straight back reading. Can’t remember the last time i finished a book in one day. John Marrs had me shook!

The plot twist in the end, my god. This is the first book that i have read by Mr. Marrs and I’m definitely going to give his other books a try.

It’s better if you read The Passengers without knowing what the story is about. I think that it will make it more enjoyable. At least, for me it was.
Anyway, I
Chelsea Humphrey
Now Available!

One of the reasons I'm drawn to everything that John Marrs writes is that he takes the mundane and gives it a soapy spin. I mean this as the highest of compliments, because there's nothing I adore more than a unique idea that's brimming with drama, and I like for my psychological thrillers to contain not only the traditional aspects of crime fiction, but also the secrets hidden by our characters that pertain to their daily lives. I was slightly worried going into this one that the
Dita
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"It may have come to your attention that your vehicle is no longer under your management. From here on in, I am in charge of your destination. The only thing you need to know is that two hours and thirty minutes from now, it is highly likely that you will be dead."

In the not too distant future, eight automated vehicles are taken over by an unknown hacker with an unknown agenda...all broadcast for the whole world to see. Soon, the social media voting begins. Who lives? Who dies?

Spending time in
Kaceey
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, buddy-read
4.5*
It’s dark, it’s disturbing, it’s chilling. Yup, all that combined means you have an absolute must read!

We’re beginning to see major advances in driver-less car technology. Now even being test driven across North America and all over the world.
So I’ll pose the question we’re all thinking - Can you picture yourself as a passenger, with no control over your vehicle whatsoever? No brakes, no steering wheel. And it’s not like leading technologies have ever back-fired, right?
So if something goes
Norma * Traveling Sister
Holy Shooty Balls!!! Gripping, chilling, & absolutely unputdownable!

THE PASSENGERS by JOHN MARRS is an engrossing, chilling, suspenseful, dark, disturbing, fun, easy, brisk, and highly compulsively readable psychological thriller that was another rapid-raced read for me. I was immediately sucked into the narrative and devoured every single page of this highly entertaining and thrilling book. Once I started reading it I was immediately hooked and so absorbed in the storyline that I finished i
Nilufer Ozmekik
Five billions, need an urgent brain transplant cause my old one is just blown away and out of order stars!!!
My head still hurts like I tossed it against the wall thousand times and I started to see cartoon stars on my head as soon as I finish this one! I cannot say I’m speechless because I forgot four languages I’ve known ( including my native one) right now so I’m out of words.
This is so revolutionary, innovative, creative book makes you think a lot, thrill a lot and numb your mind! It makes m
Susanne  Strong
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, edelweiss
4 Stars

“The Passengers” by John Marrs is a scream, I promise!

Eight driverless cars. Eight passengers, all of whom have a secret and a specific plan for that morning. None arrive at their intended destination.

There is a Hacker who knows everything about everyone and he has decided to take control. There are five members of the jury whose sole purpose is to decide who lives and who dies.

The fear is real my friends. “The Passengers” will scare you. Yea, “The Jetsons” made the idea of a futuristic
Brenda - Host of Traveling Sisters & Friends
Readers start your thrill and let the best passenger win. Try to stay calm and strap yourself in. Its techno-thriller time!

John Marrs takes us on an entertaining, chilling action-packed, fast track ride to the unthinkable where technology and humans collide in more ways than one. This is one ride where the fear of death is more than the thrill and no one wants to finish this course.

It's all about the entertainment here and John Marrs knows how to revive up the tension here by adding quite the c
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
OMG this book is absolutely brilliant! How have I not read a John Marrs book before this? Where has this author been all my life?! Seriously this book had me at the edge of my seat the entire wild ride.

I have been eagerly awaiting to get my hands on a copy of this book! The book came out earlier in the year for my fellow bloggers across the pond and after reading each fantastic review one after another, I knew this was going to be one heck of a book. It is finally due to come out here in the U.S
Bibi
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*Spoilers beyond here, you've been warned*

There's nothing that makes you question yourself than when your opinions are the polar opposite of others'. In this instance, there are several issues which made this book somewhat mediocre, in my opinion of course.

One, did Libby actually need to be in the room with the other jurors? Her presence felt like a big fat deus ex machina utilized to ensure the reader would care about the ensuing events. It was lazy and unimaginative.

Two, why mastermind an act
Berit☀️✨
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc-physical
This is my brain🧠. This is my brain after reading this book🤯. Any questions?

John Marrs completely blew my mind with this exhilarating thriller! Eight passengers in eight separate driverless cars, all of them with secrets, none of them making it to their desired destination. Imagine you're in a driverless car you have no control, no brakes, no steering wheel, you can't even open the doors,and somebody has taken over the car. In 2 1/2 hours all eight of these cars will collide head on end it is u
NZLisaM
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
John Marrs' best, and most ambitious, book to date.

Picture this! It's the near future and you're cruising along in your state-of-the-art driverless car. You might be eating breakfast, applying makeup, reading a book, talking on the phone, or just relaxing, when all of a sudden your car deviates from it's pre-programmed destination.

Then a voice sounds from the centre console:

‘”It may have come to your attention that your vehicle is no longer under your management. From here on in, I am in charge
Felicia
Aug 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
I cannot recall reading a more absurd book in my life.

At first the absurdity was laugh out loud funny.

Then the whole ridiculousness of it kinda started pissing me off as it became more and more farcical by the page.

I'm not even going to bother with a full review. I've waisted enough of my time on this buffoonery dressed up as a novel.

**I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.**
Tan Markovic
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When you want to write a review but have no idea how to do the book justice :')

John Marrs never disappoints....

What an amazing book!
Dennis
I can't believe I was just able to binge read another 400+ page book in record speed. I recently read John Marrs's The One because I heard it was going to be a Netflix series, so I was very excited to pick up his latest Black Mirror-esque novel, The Passengers . The Passengers takes place in the not so distant future, and autonomous cars are now regulated and compulsory during UK's new plan to try and circumvent human error for fatalities, accidents, pollution, and other traffic related trage ...more
Bren
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Where do I begin?
I cheated.

I looked at the end way before I was done.

I could not help it.

I guess I would not make a good Passenger Juror.

But I HAD to know..I just had to.

This book was so DIFFERENT.

Never has anyone got social media so right. The man had me howling with laughter at some of it.

A bit to much violence for me though. On second thought scratch the "a bit".

Movie in the making I'm sure.

Happy Fourth of July.

Proper review to follow shortly.

4 stars.
Jayme
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars (rounded down)

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELTS!

John Marrs is about to take you on a terrifying ride!

in the UK, British citizens are finding “The One” (from his previous book) using “MATCH YOUR DNA” technology and driverless vehicles will replace those driven by humans within the next 5 years.

After all, these vehicles have rarely been found to be at fault, by the Vehicle Inquest Jury, whenever an accident has occurred and blame must be found.

The jury is gathered to review the latest accidents
Toni
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The premise of this clever and well-written sci-fi thriller, set in the UK in a very near future, is fascinating. The AI that controls eight driverless cars moving to their different destinations is hacked, the destinations are reprogrammed, while the passengers become a hostage to a mysterious and seemingly omniscient Hacker who informs them that in 2 1/2 hours they are going to die.

The story alternates between showing what happens to the people in the cars (who come from all walks of life: a p
Pauline
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
I'm a big fan of John Marrs books and I was delighted to receive an ARC of his new book The Passengers and I was not disappointed.
I was hooked from the first page and I did not want to put it down.
This thriller is about the dangers of technology. Eight driverless cars have their operation systems hacked and are on a collision course. The passengers are told this and we see their reactions and the reactions of the social media and television audiences.
This book kept me on the edge of my seat with
Gabby
Damn, this book is intense! It literally gives me such Black Mirror vibes. I really love sci-fi thrillers!!!! This story takes place in a futuristic world where they have self-driving cars. These people are in these cars when a voice comes over the speaker and tells them they have no control over their car and they will likely be dead in two hours. The story really takes off from there and it’s non-stop action and thrills for 400 pages.

I love the thought provoking questions this book m
Victoria
More sinister than suspenseful. More thought provoking than thrilling.

Marrs’ The One was one of the most original books I read last year, so I was eagerly awaiting his next clever foray and I ended up in the middle of the road. This book was trying to be many things at once, my literary GPS was on the blink and I didn’t know which turn signal to use.

Where the engine roared. The premise of a futuristic Britain which has outlawed manual cars in favor of autonomous vehicles and the ways in which
Darinda
Eight self-driving cars are hijacked. The hacker of the cars has told the passengers that they are going to die. Meanwhile, a jury is convened to determine the cause of accidents involving driverless vehicles. The jury and the rest of the world watch as the hacker controls the fates of the eight passengers.

Told with the alternating points of view of the passengers and a jury member. The hijacked cars and the jury are all being captured on camera, and the live videos go viral. The hacker gives th
Mandy White
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read The Passengers by John Marrs with thanks to Pigeonhole Books. That meant that I was reading 10% of the book each day. I found this really hard to do with this book, especially the way that each stave ending on a cliff hanger. I just wanted to keep reading and I think that if I was reading it normally I would have read it in a day or so. I really enjoyed this book and looked forward to each days installment

In a not so far off future we live in a world of self drive cars. Not everybody is a
Mark
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Hi below is my review for ‘The Passengers’ and next up a book by an author never read any previous books by so lets see....

‘The Passengers’ by John Marrs published 16th May ( please note date ) by Penguin Random House UK Ebury Publishing/Del Rey!

Hi, well fans, old and new, of John Marrs know that a new book will be good but you are never quite sure what the book will hold as they are all so different....one of my favourite books and the book that started me reviewing ‘The One’ is about to be tur
preoccupiedbybooks
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A thrilling and entertaining story with many twists, which will have you questioning your values and morals!

I will keep this brief and spoiler free, as this story is best if you experience all of the plot twists first hand!

8 driverless cars, set to collide. Who lives? Who dies?

In this tale, set in the not too distant future, driverless cars are used everywhere in Britain. Then one day, someone hacks into the systems of eight of these cars. In the cars are a collection of different people with th
Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction)
Reading John Marrs' newest book The Passengers was like watching a blockbuster Hollywood movie: you're on the edge of your seat the entire time with suspense "watching" the brilliant action scenes unfold (because Marrs' writing is so realistic you feel as if you're right there), experiencing the unexpected disasters and jawdropping cliffhanger chapters-- then that surprising ending! This would make an excellent film!  As you can probably tell, I freaking loved this book, which I have to admit su ...more
megs_bookrack
Thank you, Berkley Books!
ARC received.

This will be my first Marrs and I'm pretty pumped for it. This premise fascinates me.

It's sounds like The Purge but set in a Tesla.

Carolyn
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
*2.5* Stars.
This was a terrific, innovative premise set in the not too distant future in Britain. The new technology has become ubiquitous and computers, tablets and Smartphones have become even smarter. Now driverless cars are prevalent on the roads, leading to less traffic congestion, air pollution, fewer accidents, and they are cheaper to own. But what if hackers manage to override the computer systems which control these driverless cars?

Eight people get in their separate vehicles one morni
Denise
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A chilling examination of the effects of technology on the moral and ethical behavior of those in control of it and those who unwittingly use it. This is sort of a dramatic treatise of AI, autonomous cars, social media, class and race, and decision-making under stress. Even though this description might sound a little clinical, this fast-paced and heart-pounding thriller is one that you won't soon forget -- even as you pick up your cell phone, strap on your smart watch or power up your tablet.

Th
Sonja Arlow

I went to a very interesting cyber hacking event this week and I couldn’t help myself, I had to just ask the host about the hacking capabilities of self-driving cars. I was loudly assured that at this point there are no threats…….. but quietly told that it can’t be ruled out in future as hackers evolve with technology.

This story is set in the not too distant future where self-driving cars are ubiquitous. Traffic congestion, accidents and pollution has gone down dramatically. New industr

• After the End
  • Dirty Little Secrets
  • The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
  • Twisted
  • Days of Wonder
  • Going Off Script
  • Someone Knows
  • Wherever She Goes
  • Defender (The Voices #1)
  • The Evidence Against You
  • Raze (Riven, #3)
  • When Stars Collide
  • Vacant (Mindspace Investigations, #4)
  • Return of the Magi
  • Our Child of the Stars
  • Dead Memories (D.I. Kim Stone, #10)
  • Gail Honeyman Untitled Book 2
  • Atlic (Timewaves, #2)
John Marrs is the author of The One, The Good Samaritan, When You Disappeared, Her Last Move and Welcome to Wherever You Are.

A former freelance journalist based in London, England, he spent twenty-five years interviewing celebrities from the world of television, film and music for national newspapers and magazines until becoming a full-time author in 2018.

He has written for publications including
“A priest I knew once told me “a candle loses nothing by lighting another candle” 0 likes
“Claire recalled how some years before they’d met, geneticists had discovered all humans carried a gene shared by just one other person in the world. That person was apparently the one genetically made for you – the person you were destined to fall in love with. They could be of any age, any sex, any religion and in any location.” 0 likes