Start by marking “Murder with Collard Greens and Hot Sauce (Mahalia Watkins Soul Food Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Murder with Collard Greens and Hot Sauce (Mahalia Watkins Soul Food Mystery #3)

Murder with Collard Greens and Hot Sauce

(Mahalia Watkins Soul Food Mystery #3)

Published March 26th 2019 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Murder with Collard Greens and Hot Sauce, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder with Collard Greens and Hot Sauce

Start your review of Murder with Collard Greens and Hot Sauce (Mahalia Watkins Soul Food Mystery #3)
Christopher
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Halia Watkins is so busy running her successful soul food restaurant, Mahalias Sweet Tea, she doesnt even have time to think about doing her own hair. But that doesnt stop her from catering a small event for Monique Dupree, the famous hair product entrepreneur. One hair expo, one massive house party, and a lot of fried food later, Monique is found dead and her husband is charged. However, Halia cant help but think the police have the wrong man, and soon shes caught up in an investigation of all ...more
Linda 📚
Im always excited to return to Prince George County, Maryland and Halia Watkins soul food restaurant, Mahalias Sweet Tea!

Author A.L. Herbert writes a story filled with comical scenes. My tummy was growling at the descriptions of all the delicious home cooked food and desserts sprinkled throughout the book. Ms. Herbert creates a captivating plot centered around a beauty mogul, Monique, and her popular hair products and secretive personal life. While humor abounds, murder is skillfully woven into
Sophia
In my quest to discover more cozy mystery series to love, the title on this one leaped to the eye and pulled me in for a closer inspection. Soul food and murder? I'll take a double helping of that, please.

Murder with Collard Greens and Hot Sauce is the third book in the series, but I had no difficulty diving in with this book. I could tell that a handful of characters were recurring, but there didn't seem to be a connecting series storyline that needed me to start from the beginning.

Mahalia and
Linden
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Halia Watkins and Wavonne are back! Halia owns Sweet Tea, a soul food restaurant in Maryland, and she and cousin Wavonne are delighted to meet glamorous entrepreneur Monique, who has created an empire with her beauty products for African-American women. Of course, when theres a murder after Moniques over-the-top party, Halia gets involved, much to the annoyance of the local police. I usually find cozy mysteries pretty predictable, but this one kept me guessing until the end. Great characters ...more
Patty
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder with Collard Greens and Hot Sauce by A. L. Herbert is the 3rd book in the Mahalia Watkins Soul Food Mystery series, and another fun addition. Mahalia owns Mahalia's Sweet Tea restaurant, her mother bakes all the desserts, and her cousin, Wavonne, is a waitress. The ladies get the chance to meet Monique Dupree, who is a pop culture icon and mogul for her hair products. When Monique is murdered Halia and Wavonne are determined to get to the truth. This series is so fun, but I have to admit ...more
The CurvyJones
I requested this book because it looked fun, and who doesn't need a fun read these days? This was also my first foray into Cozy Mystery and I have to say I probably won't linger long in this subgenre.

I read a lot of thrillers and gripping mysteries. This particular title and the author, while cute and entertaining just wasn't for me. I look for a fast pace and a thrilling ride and this book was more of a slow, southern crawl. I know most readers look for the recipes as well... I flipped right
ClassicPink
**** Clink link to my blog for the full review ****

At the end of it all I would read the other books in this series. I think it was well written and it held my attention throughout. Although I could have done without all of the stereotypes- they did not enhance the story.

The ending was a bit confusing because while the killer was not blatantly obvious to me certain things that pointed that person out would have been obvious to Mahalia long before. The conclusion was as dramatic and over the top
Bridget
Im quite partial to reading cozy mysteries and this book beckoned to me because of its unusual title.

Murder with Collard Greens and Hot Sauce is the third book in the series, but I had no difficulty following the story even though this was my first book by the author, A L Herbert. I could tell that some of the characters were having another outing but, whilst it may have been preferable, I didnt feel there was any need to start from the first book.

One of my favourite things about cozies is that
Piepie
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you, Netgalley, for this arc!

This series is fun and fresh, and each book is always a quick read for me. I was enthralled in this mystery about African-American women's hair products ... and there were plenty of descriptions of food to keep me salivating! The murderer was definitely a surprise, and I loved how all the ends were tied up in the epilogue. I will definitely keep reading this series!
Rima Aiello
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Food, beauty, culture, murder, mixed together all make for a mystery that you will not be able to put down. With suspects piling up, motives flowing out of the woodwork, it seems impossible to figure out whodunit.
This series is engaging right from the start. The characters are delightfully robust, and the more you read, the more you are submersed into their world. Full of plot twists that make you scratch your head, this book will not disappoint.
Nandi Crawford
One more cooking mystery abounds where Mahalia and her crazy cousin Wavonne investigate the murder of a cosmetology turned wealthy entrepreneur of hair products. Was it the husband? Her frenemy from the old days, her cook or her stylist? Check it out along with recipes featured in the book. While I enjoyed the adventures of these ladies, it took a time to get to the actual murder and investigation. Still worth a read of you've loved her previous books.
Glen
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozies
A cozy with an African American woman as the sleuth. She owns a restaurant, but like most of these sleuths, never seems to have to work.

A local woman who became a mogul in African hair care products visits the neighborhood. She winds up dead, and the sleuth tries to find the real killer. Entertaining, but I learned more than I cared to about African hair.
Penny
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
another fun read - I love the characters, especially Wayvonne, of course! :)
Sharonda Isadora
Eh....this is a slow burn read. I liked Mahalia as she is an easy character to like, add in her cousin Wavonne and you'll be chuckling throughout Murder with Collard Greens and Hot Sauce.
However, the mystery part was IMO so drawn out that it just drained the story for me. Great recipes, beauty shop talk and the sometimes wick tongues of black women wasn't enough to save Murder with CG & HS. Overall, this was an okay read for me.
Princess Gooden
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time reading a book from this author. Very intriguing. I love the setting, characters, and the cool title. I will go back now and check out the others.
Ronetta Bennett
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Murder Recipes

I really enjoyed the book,But I liked all the sweet tea recipes.Sweet tea family all the good food and all the cake goods.Waking in the next book.Thank you.
Kim
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Halia Watkins serves up delicious soul food at her restaurant in Maryland. She can barely keep up with the number of customers she has from the beauty convention in town. Despite the influx of customers, when beauty mogul Monique Dupree is found dead Halia get pulled into the drama. With numerous suspects can Halia figure out the killer before shes in harm's way?

This is the 3rd book in the series but my first. I was able to enjoy the mystery without any major issues however I think I would have
Ms. Woc Reader
I read the previous two books so I had to check in with Mahalia at Sweet Tea as the title and cover peaked my curiosity. It was a fairly simple read but I was not as entertained as the previous story. And the stereotypes were very heavy handed in this installment. Sometimes too many cultural references and slang were packed into the story. Wavonne was alot to take in the first two installments but shes much more of a caricature than character here. The murder had enough twists and turns to keep ...more
Chermaine
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this author!
I always look forward to the recipes as much as the stories.
Each one is better and better! I finished it in one day!
While you don't need to start with the first one to enjoy this book, do yourself a favor and start with the first one.
I'm looking forward to the many books that are to come.
Alyssa
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Halia is the proud owner of Sweet Tea- a food restaurant where customers leave with their stomachs full and souls warm. When she was asked to cater for a small event for beauty mogul and pop culture icon Monique Dupree, she jumped at the chance to promote and grow her food business. Things take a turn for the worse when Monique is found shot to death. Halia immediately tucks her apron aside and puts on her sleuthing hat to investigate who may have wanted the hair product entrepreneur. As Halia ...more
ANITA MARIA
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This was the third installment in the Mahalia Watkins Soul Food Mystery series, however, it was my first read by author A.L.Herbert. Okay, first off, allow me to give my disclaimer, "I do NOT like mysteries! Herbert has managed to do what only a handful of authors have managed to achieve for me...give me an interesting and entertaining who-done-it, all while keeping me guessing (and in this case getting it wrong) until the very end.

This was a cozy comfort mystery that I could enjoy the
Dj
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
#3-Mahalias Sweet Tea boasts the most flavorful soul food in all of Prince Georges County, Maryland. But as events at the beauty industrys leading trade show turn ugly, owner Halia Watkins needs to bite into an unsavory new item on the menumurder! When the chicest hair convention of the year gets cooking in town, so does business at Mahalias Sweet Tea. Halia can barely handle the influx of customers looking to satisfy their appetites after spending the day surrounded by outrageous runway styles. ...more
Lori Green
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun cozy mystery! This is the 3rd book in the Mahalia Watkins Soul Food series and the first book that I have read by A.L. Herbert. I am now excited to go back and read the precious 2 books in this series; however, you do not have to read in order to understand the characters or background. Murder with Collard Greens and Hot Sauce is not only a cozy mystery it is a funny, LOL, story full of great recipes, hilarious situations, and friendships. Halia owns a restaurant (Sweet Tea) where she ...more
Cozy Cat Reviews
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd in this charming series and my first read in this series. I will soon be reading the prior books as this was a fun delightful read with a well crafted sleuth. I loved the Southern culture, the focus on the small town life and how I learned about delicious southern food in this book. .One thing I noticed first is reading this series will make you hungry ! I highly recommend this book as the perfect cozy mystery read. Wonderful receipes are included for culinary cozy fans.

Mahalia
Annie
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-2019, mystery
I received a free eARC from NetGallery in exchange for an honest review.

There were a lot of really good elements in this book. I loved the area that it takes place in (PG County, Maryland!), the dialogue, the restaurant, all the world building the author did.
The actual murder doesn't take place until 40% into the book, so after it happens the resolve comes quick.
The reveal was nicely done. I'd love to say that I suspected the culprit right away, but the truth is I suspected everyone. There
Amy
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kathleen Gray
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Restaurant owner Halia is back! This time out, she finds herself wrapped into the world of Monique, who owns a high end hair products business. Monique comes to dinner at the Sweet Tea and then invited Halia and her cousin Wavonne to a party at her home. Sadly, Monique is murdered after the party (and pretty far into the book). There are a number of suspects, of course, not the least of which are her husband, her frenemy, her stylist, and is it possible...her personal chef. Monique wasn't a bad ...more
FMSWarrior
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mahalia (Halia)Watkins, owner of Sweet Tea Soul Food restaurant in Prince Georges County, Maryland, is known for two things: her cooking and her solving murders. When Halia and Wavonne get to meet a local celebrity and hair care entrepreneur, Monique, they are invited to her annual party of the year.

When Monique is found dead shortly after the party ends, her husband is arrested for her murder and he asks Halia to find the real murdered before hes sent up the river to the big house. While not a
Judy
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, these ladies are a hoot!! I love them. They will just tell you like it is! I knew hair products were a big deal, but I didnt realize they were this big a deal. I like the characters in the story, especially Halia and Wavonne. It was like I was right there when they were going at each other. Do you have a friend like that? What about a friend with a love/hate relationship? I dont know how well I would handle that. I do hope that Nathan does get what he deserves out of all of this. I do ...more
Andrea
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, chick-lit
First I want to say that I got a copy in exchange for an honest review.
This is the first of the series I have read, but I have been wanting to pick it up for a while, so when I had a chance to get a book, I jumped at it. And Im so glad I did!
There is so much to love! I loved the suspects and their secrets. I loved the final clue that gave Halia the answer. I loved that answer. I loved Halia, who was really down to earth, and the other characters around her, like Wavonne, who is very not down
« previous 1 3 next »

• Murder Lo Mein (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Wonton Terror (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Buried in the Stacks (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #3)
  • Bitter Brew (A Savannah Reid Mystery #24)
  • Strangled Eggs and Ham (Country Store Mysteries #6)
  • Leave No Scone Unturned (Chef-to-Go Mystery #2)
  • Murder in the Corn Maze (A Granny Reid Mystery #2)
  • Prologue to Murder (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #2)
  • Sell Low, Sweet Harriet
  • Death by Dumpling (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Murder's No Votive Confidence (Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery #1)
  • Sifting Through Clues (A Cookbook Nook Mystery 8)
  • Coconut Layer Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #25)
  • The Hidden Corpse (Food Blogger Mysteries #2)
  • Haunted House Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #25.7)
  • Sealed Off (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #8)
  • Fatal Cajun Festival: A Cajun Country Mystery
  • Trouble on the Books (Castle Bookshop Mystery #1)

Mahalia Watkins Soul Food Mystery (4 books)
  • Murder with Fried Chicken and Waffles (Mahalia Watkins Soul Food Mystery #1)
  • Murder with Macaroni and Cheese (Mahalia Watkins Soul Food Mystery #2)
  • Murder with Honey Ham Biscuits (Mahalia Watkins Soul Food Mystery #4)

News & Interviews