Start by marking “Hedge: A Greater Safety Net for the Entrepreneurial Age” as Want to Read:
Hedge: A Greater Safety Net for the Entrepreneurial Age

Hedge: A Greater Safety Net for the Entrepreneurial Age

For three decades we’ve been living through a paradigm shift. Our world is moving from the fading Fordist age to the ever-strengthening digital age. This shift is as unstoppable as the one that once brought us from railroads and steel mills to Fordist factories. And its impact on our lives is just as radical.

In this context, the lessons from history are clear: Providing

Published July 2nd 2018 by Family Stories

To ask other readers questions about Hedge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hedge

Start your review of Hedge: A Greater Safety Net for the Entrepreneurial Age
Chris Beiser
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I should be upfront that I'm likely being harsh on this book. I'm a hardline, silicon valley Georgist crank, and I have very strong opinions about the ideas discussed. I think it's a good step in the correct direction, and many people would benefit from it. There is legitimately good content in this book. It is a bit hard to find though.

I think the biggest weak points are a lack of imagination about policy possibilities, several major blind spots with regards to the structure of American
Agustín Armellini Fischer
“The new line is drawn between those who look back with nostalgia, trying to hold on to past practices, and those who embrace the new paradigm and propose new institutions to fit the new conditions. This blurs the previous connection between certain values and goals and the specific means of attaining to them. Though the goals may remain unchanged, the adequate and viable means to pursue them change with each paradigm shift.”

There are many things I disagree with the author of this book. Still, I
Hampus Jakobsson
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. Well written economical history of how the safety net of yesterday was built and why.
2. Some good arguments why that won't work today.
3. A sketch on how we could build a new safety net.

I somehow expected more solutions and less backward-looking, but at the same time the problem is complex and I think Nicolas Colin did the best contribution we have at the moment. The sketch is all we have, and how we got here is needed to understand how to fix it.

The issue is pressing, and we see it in our
Lavisse Régis
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book aims to launch a global conversation to reinvent the "great safety net", as the one we know today (or let's say the ones, as the safety net varies from one region to another) is becoming obsolete due to the current paradigm shift - what Nicolas describes as the "Entrepreneurial Age".
The attempt is to build new conditions for prosperity and inclusion, as it has been accomplished with the current safety net for the previous era of automobile and mass consumption.
As we are all facing a
Pete
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding summary of the political-economic and technological transformations of the industrial age. Forward thinking; historically grounded; informed by a solid interdisciplinary foundation of readings derived from the worlds of academia, business, and journalism; and lucidly written with well chosen examples to illustrate abstract ideas and a refreshing avoidance of unnecessary jargon. Colin makes a strong case for a "Safety Net 2.0" that is suited to our Entrepreneurial Age of digital ...more
Sergei Tikhomirov
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, europe, in-paper
Read this book because the author is a co-founder of an investment firm "The Family", whose website contains a brilliant 12-chapter essay on entrepreneurship in general and in Europe in particular. I expected the book to be more of the same thing, and in a sense it was.

The key idea is that we are entering a new era - the Entrepreneurial age - when the typical economic interactions will shift. This will cause some turmoil, and in order to help its citizens succeed in new circumstances,
Joe
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting both as a European perspective on the history of the 20th century’s social safety nets, and some non-obvious ideas about what might be worth trying to replace them with for the society of the 21st.
Naomi Darko
Suzanne Bénac-Colin
Jan 20, 2019
Ige Egal
Apr 07, 2019

• Never Lost Again: The Google Mapping Revolution That Sparked New Industries and Augmented Our Reality
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • Secondhand: Travels in the New Global Garage Sale
  • Agency (The Peripheral #2)
  • Reinventing Organizations: An Illustrated Invitation to Join the Conversation on Next-Stage Organizations
  • Le vicomte pourfendu
  • AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order
  • The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate – Discoveries from a Secret World
  • Brief Answers to the Big Questions
  • Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber
  • Homo Prospectus
  • Billion Dollar Whale: The Man Who Fooled Wall Street, Hollywood, and the World
“just another example of why no dominant tech company has ever grown out of there! Yes, we in Europe can be forced to defend ourselves in a criminal defamation case for publicly discussing questions like “What is innovation?” and “Couldn’t we do better than the existing taxi industry?”.” 0 likes