Start by marking “I Can Only Draw Worms” as Want to Read:
I Can Only Draw Worms

I Can Only Draw Worms

A hilarious picture book in bright, neon colors that is perfect for fans of The Book With No Pictures and The Day the Crayons Quit.

This is part counting book, part introduction to worms, but all superbly silly. The fact that the author/illustrator can only draw worms will not take anything away from the laugh-out-loud adventure readers will have as they turn the pages of
Published March 19th 2019 by Penguin Workshop

To ask other readers questions about I Can Only Draw Worms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Can Only Draw Worms

Start your review of I Can Only Draw Worms
David Schaafsma
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
This is sort of a one-joke book where you only really have to read the title, but that's why I read it and it made me smile throughout. This makes a bit of fun of the picture book format, and the learn-your-numbers-through-meaningful-connections-to babies picture book in particular. (Worm #3 is yellow, for no reason except he lost his pink pen; with worm #6 we are promised an exciting adventure, but turnt the page and he decides to just skip all that). It's just fun for everyone, and super ...more
Sandra
As a person who can only draw worms, I loved this book! You will only find worms in it, of course, and most of the time they all look the same, as the worms I draw look, but it has lots of humor. It also allows the reader to do some counting, and use his/her imagination a lot.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE beautifully illustrated picture books. Actually I am kind of an addict to them. But this book also proves how you can make an amazing picture book with only simple, basic, bare illustrations too.
Erica
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about worms because Will Mabbitt can only draw worms, it says so in the title.
He can't draw flying unicorns and he's not good at depicting adventures in outer space but he can draw a variety of worms, like Worm 2 who wears glasses and Worm 3 who is a different color.

While this isn't a very factual account of worms - except for Worm 8's story - it is delightfully entertaining.
Sara
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, picture-book
20 stars. This children's picture book is hilarious! Glad that this book is the one that officially ends my 2019 Reading Challenge!
KDV
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Legit lols. I'm taking it to storytime today so we will see what the kids think! If they don't like it I will be more disappointed in them than the book, tbqh. (Update: some kids really got it and loved it, others didn't know what the hell was going on)
Shaye Miller
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This picture book was the highlight of my younger children’s reading week. It’s so simple, but too funny! My kids kept re-reading it — even trying to tell the worms apart (counting lines in their bodies, etc.). So although it is touted as a counting book, it’s served as the point of great discussion in the Miller family. I mean, could worms wear glasses? And if you cut one in half, does it really become two worms or only two half-worms? In black, white, yellow, and hot pink, author and ...more
Donna
I want to give this book more than 5 stars. This book needs to be read cover to cover then re-read again and again. Read it aloud, read with gusto and share with everyone. It is hilarious. Rest assured there is no offensive material - we're not talking about 'those' worms. Each of these worms is quite unique ... or are they? Pay attention from the beginning for Will is quite explicit about the details of each worm and you will be caught out if you let your concentration lapse.

Will Babbitt
Rod Brown
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A fun and witty counting book for children that made me laugh several times.
Mehsi
"This book is about worms. I can only draw worms."

I spotted this book, and with that tag line I just couldn't resist bringing it with me from the library. Even my boyfriend had lots of fun when I read this one to him.

The author/artist can only draw worms, and the proof is clear in this one. We see our illustrator introduce us to various worms, and sometimes he doesn't even know if a worm is number x or not. :P Not to mention what happens when an unicorn pops up in the story.

Yep, you are in for
Scott
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book thanks to a Facebook competition run by In The Good Books blog page. I found this book quirky and amusing as I read it to my daughter. She loves trying to grab it and read to me and the bright colours help engage her. The introduction of the ten worms is funny and amusing.
Michelle Gray
So many giggles!

Themes: counting, worms
Penny Ramirez
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was entertained. Very bright and colorful. The 3-5 set will probably enjoy it!

I, too, can only draw worms, more or less.
Michelle

When I first saw I Can Only Draw Worms on NetGalley I knew I had to read it, as someone who can't draw, and when I do its the request to draw a car for a baby, I had to know what this book was about.

I Can Only Draw Worms is a counting book as well as a book that makes you laugh out loud with some disastrous attempts at drawing worms, or losing them to the same colour page, and mistaking worm one with worm three, and lets not forget worm eight and eight-and-a-half.
With worms wearing glasses, and
Gracie
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gosh darn if I could give this book 55 stars, I obviously would!!!! I was in the bookstore and had a quick glance at this bright colored book. And immediately I was drawn to it. I (literally) ran over and when I first picked it up and read it I was like “what in the world is this nonsense?!??” Then I ended up finishing it and laughing my butt off. I must’ve looked so strange just laughing out loud at this book in the store. Let alone a book about WORM SKETCHES! If you ever want or need a great ...more
Nancy Kotkin
Humorous picture book similar to The Book with No Pictures, but is more visual and contains somewhat more of a story line. Incorporates counting from one to ten, and includes eight and a half in a clever way. Simple digital illustrations use a neon color palette. Good for introducing fractions between whole numbers. Could also be used as a writing prompt to create a story around one simple thing.
Adele
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Adele by: Rod Brown
This is clever, but not as clever as Mabbitt seems to think it is. It is basically just a counting book, but it is a counting book that counts wrong! If you have seven worms and then half a worm and then the rest of that worm, that is not 7, 8, 8 and a half. It is 7, 7 and a half, 8. This bothers me probably more than it should.
Theresa Grissom
Super cute!
Bianca
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
cute and kooky, love how graphic it is
Brandee
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, favorites
Absolutely adorable! Can I just say that I love when my department passes around cute kids' books and we all take turns reading them? So much fun!
Maeve
Great read aloud for elementary age kiddos.
Maxwell Rae
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really fun interactive book. Big thanks to Dolly Parton to sending me a copy of this book for free as part of her Imagination Library - a monthly book mail-out.
Erin
Super fun and funny counting book. With worms. And unicorns and rocketships (kinda).
A.C. Paige
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever
The Reading Countess
2 things you should know:
1. I read A LOT of books, especially ones for kids AND I teach AND I’m the mom of three man-boys. Okay, I crammed three into one, but who’s counting?
2. I usually resort to the standard 3 designation for picture books when I wasn’t a fan, but when I also acknowledge that I’m not the target audience.

But this one? Sheesh. Look for my own book debut coming soon to stores near you...I CAN ONLY DRAW STRAWS. Wait, that’s not Earth friendly anymore. How about: I CAN ONLY DRAW
Elisabeth
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HILARIOUS! It reminded me a bit of a Shel Silverstein because it also fully trusts kids to get the joke and then rewards us generously with an extra clever something.
Relyn
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, librarians, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: Junior Library Guild
Super cute for read aloud. It would be so much fun to stop in the middle and let the kids work with a partner to imagine the unwritten parts. Then, after the story the kids could write those parts. It could also open up great conversations about imagination and also about not being limited by our perceived skills. I love this book!
Yapha
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very clever and slightly snarky, this brightly colored picture book will make a fantastic read aloud. Recommended for all ages.
Michele Knott
This is one of those books where the magic happens when you read it out loud to the intended audience. No doubt giggles will occur!
Rania T
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the humour in this book as well as the beautiful dedication in the back, "For Zero-who should be at the start of every counting book."
« previous 1 3 4 next »