Start by marking “Marigolds for Malice” as Want to Read:

Marigolds for Malice

(Enchanted Garden Mystery #3)

In the third captivating Enchanted Garden Mystery from Bailey Cattrell, Elliana Allbright will need to dig up clues from the past to weed out a killer . . . Elliana Allbright is happy running her perfume shop, Scents & Nonsense, in the charming town of Poppyville, California. And she's even happier when she can use her inherited abilities to infuse her perfumes with an ext ...more
Audio CD
Published August 28th 2018 by Tantor Audio

To ask other readers questions about Marigolds for Malice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marigolds for Malice

Start your review of Marigolds for Malice
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Elliana Allbright is the owner of Scents & Nonsense where she sells items made with special oils she distills from plants in her own garden. The Enchanted Garden is right next to the shop and abuts right up to her tiny house. The garden is a relaxing place with spots for people to sit and wind down from the stress in their lives. Ellie’s dog, Dash and shop cat, Nabokov have free rein of the area so they may dish out their own kind of comfort too.

Ellie belongs to a women’s grou
Peggy R
I have enjoyed this series from the beginning and this third book was worth the wait. Marigolds for Malice continues this enchanting series that has just a touch of the paranormal. It is well written and keeps the reader engaged throughout the entire book. This author has created a charming setting, with strong characters and a touch of the other worldly. Elliana Albright once again has the misfortune of finding a dead body. This time it is a member of the Greenstockings, a group of women in the ...more
Karen
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished Marigolds For Malice, by Bailey Cattrell on Sunday. I loved this book. I actually really love the idea for and the way Bailey writes this series. Slightly paranormal, but very light, main character Ellie is blessed with a green thumb and knowledge of plants and essential oils that is clearly her passion and part of her bloodline. With help from her Grandmother's botanical journal, she is able to sense danger, find a cure to what ails you and has the super power of scent. She has a sho ...more
Kelcy
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this installment (hoping there are more?)
I love the way Bailey Cattrell gradually introduces residents of Poppyville throughout the series. Just enough to add maybe 2-3 new faces to the town all the while still weaving in the suspects/their stories without anything being quite obvious. I really enjoy when cozies have a historical spin on the mystery - fun time with this one.
Sue Em
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating cozy with a gentle whiff of paranormal by one of my favorite authors. Welcome to Poppyville, CA where Elliana Allbright runs Scents and Nonsense and keeps finding murders to investigate. Her coterie of friends are charming and the mysteries are well plotted. Highly recommended.
JoAn
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed the first two books in this series and I was so excited when my library notified me that the third one had come in. I read it in one afternoon as I was immediately swept up into the story within the first few pages. Ellie's "nose" for the scents and truth leads her into another adventure. The plot moved swiftly and the twists kept me guessing until the reveal. I hope there will be more.
Natalia  R
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great addition to what has become one of my favourite cozy mystery series!I cannot say enough good things about this author and her books,I have never read a book by her that I didn't love.I highly recommend this author and I'm looking forward to anything she writes in the future.
Becky
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of this series, because of the theme, the plant lore, the book covers, the characters, and the writing. Book 3 was such a wonderful and quick read that I am hoping for more books in the Enchanted Garden mysteries. Combining past history and a present day activities made for a clever tale.
OpenBookSociety.com

ISBN 9780451476906
Author Website: cricketmcrae(.)com
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Jeanie

Synopsis:

Elliana Allbright is happy running her perfume shop, Scents & Nonsense, in the charming town of Poppyville, California. And she’s even happi
Melanie
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweet, mystery, cozy
Another cute book in the series - fluffy and fun and sweet, with a little magic and some romance (but I’m still not loving her romantic interest here).
Randee
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series! From the first book, I was pulled into this world of gardens, flowers, scents and a little bit of magic? The heroine owns a shop that she makes perfumes, soaps, bath oils, etc. that she distills herself from the flowers in her 'enchanted' garden. Her grandmother has left her a book that is handwritten with information from what flowers mean to vague hints to help Elliana (beautiful name) solve the murder mysteries. I would put this series in my top favorite cozies though it i ...more
Stefanie
I think this might be one of my favourite cozy mysteries ever. I loved the plot (even if I guessed the killer shortly into the mystery), I loved the characters and I love any book set in California. Anything involving even a tad of magic is up my alley. It felt like a cross between Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Nancy Drew as one person, and I loved it.
Sandhya
So I racked up a $16 library fine because of this book because I had to keep renewing it since September. Good book very much an eat pray love but mystical floral mystery type situation. Would read the other other books but not willing to rack up more fines.
Wati Ismail
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the history weaving into this book. Looking forward to more in the series!
Vicky Marie
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I'm still enjoying this series. The true history of the time capsule/butter churn was quite a twist but I really liked it.
Tom Mc Kenna
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars rounded up to 5 Stars.
Katie
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book in the series. This was perfect for an October cozy read! I love the Poppyville world and the characters. This was a great next installment.
Kristen
I enjoy this cozy series. On book 3 and still enjoying it.

This is a solid cozy series. The characters are likable, the setting is fun, and the "theme" is something I am interested in, and enjoy - scents and aromatherapy.

Ellie is a tad bit annoying at a few points, but for the most part she is an agreeable, likable cozy heroine. She mostly avoids doing incredibly stupid things, and if she's occasionally a little over-the-top in the busy-body area, well, this is a cozy mystery, so that's to be exp
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
This is the third book in the series and I really wanted to like it as well as the first two (although I did like the second one better than the first, I will admit). But I was turned off completely when I found out what the professor was doing.

First, they find an old butter churn and discover that it's a time capsule from the 1800's. When, among much fanfare, it contains an old botanical notebook, Ellie finds it's hot to the touch - at least for her. The rest of the items - a diary page and lar
Jae
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellie and the women's business group she's part of are busy opening a new museum devoted to Poppyville's past. While searching for items to display, they come across a time capsule. When the capsule is opened, it contains a small, botanical manuscript that Ellie is inexplicably drawn to. In addition to the manuscript, there is a photo of a woman who looks much like Ellie, a page from a journal, and a gold nugget. Later that evening, Ellie can't get the manuscript and the photo out of her mind. S ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Elliana Allbright owns a lovely shop named 'Scents and Nonsense' Elliana also is a member of a local business group, The Greenstockings. The Greenstockings are busy opening up a historical society museum. An old butter churn is discovered and the Greenstockings decide that it must be a time capsule. Eager to get favorable publicity for the new museum, the entire town is invited to view the unsealing of the butter churn.

There are many interesting items inside the churn, however, Elliana gets a st
Marie McNary
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will leave you enchanted under the spell of Cattrell’s wonderful writing and characters.

This series is just magical. I am very interested in gardening, natural wellness, and aromatherapy, so I am the target audience of this book for sure. Bailey Cattrell paints a wonderful picture of both the characters and the setting and sets up a world you can’t help but be invested in.

Sub-Themes
magic, garden, essential oils, fragrance, natural healing, local history, woman business owner, small co
LauraWhitmer Bradach
This series just keeps getting better. Interesting characters, intriguing plot. Great plot twists.
Ellie is happily running her shop Scents & Nonsense. While helping with a local history project they discover an old yellow churn with the lid sealed on. A time capsule! What a find! Making a big production out of opening it could bring history fanatics and tourists flocking to the town. History professor Eureka Sanford is murdered in the museum, the contents of the time capsule are stolen.
Ellie is
Kate
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved all three of the Enchanted Garden Mystery books. This one started off with nostalgia; I wanted to be back in Poppyville and in the Enchanted Garden. It felt like home.

This murder was just as interesting and tough to follow. The clues all pointed in one direction, but knowing how mysteries work, I knew that couldn't have been the answer. The conclusion made for good intense reading. I was rushing to find the killer in the end, trying to gobble it up as my students worked on final project
Julie
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Poppyville is opening a new museum dedicated to the region and the gold rush. While preparing the space, the organizers discover a time capsule. A retired professor is hoping that she can use what is found to write a new book, but then she is found murdered. Ellie doesn't intend to investigate, but the community seems to want her to do so.

I love Ellie, her store, her garden, and her pets. It was a joy to be back visiting with her again.

The mystery had a relatively small number of suspects and i
Sandra Hernandez
I have to say I liked the first two books but this time around I just could not catch up or get into this series. Ellie business is growing and she unfortunately finds a dead body in the Greenstockings. I have to say I didn’t see the murderer but than again I was having a hard time finishing this book. I think it took me over a month to get through this series. But I didn’t read it I got the audiobook and I don’t know if it’s the storyteller or the book. I think after this Coronavirus is done I ...more
April
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellie and a group of women business owners find a sealed butter churn when they are going through town historical items. The main historical expert Eureka Sanford is murdered the night the butter churn is opened. Who did it and why? As Ellie investigates people around her come into danger.
Well written there is a historical mystery as well as a mystery in the modern day.
Ritter comes back to see Ellie. Astrid gets involved with a new man who has secrets of his own.
I enjoyed this third enchanted g
Kellene
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed this series from book 1, and this one did not disappoint. The characters continue to grow and pull me into their lives. The mystery in this one (actually I guess that should be plural) is engaging, and kept me turning pages to the end. I do like that the history played such a vital role. My only regret is that I now have to play the waiting game for the next addition to the series. And I would love it if we could just go ahead and state the obvious about Ellie and her friends....
Sherrie
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
There were only 3 books in this series. I loved how we learn about different plants and scents. Ellie is a great main character and it was nice to see that her real love made it back in this book along with a friend of hers who like to be more than a friend. It is sad that a person pass away but it was interesting how we find out about a lost relative of Ellie's comes about. Also interesting are the animals that come within view of her garden like the deer and lion. If this is the end of the ser ...more
April
A decent cozy mystery with a cast of characters that I loved. There are a handful of reasons that this only received 3/5 stars instead of 4/5 — the main one being that I guessed not only which character was the murderer, but I guessed the why. The other reason is that I don’t think police, even in such a small town, would so willingly ask a civilian to help and ask for her opinions too. That was a little odd to me.

But I loved the touch of magical whimsy! And the historical mystery part was very
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cookies and Clairvoyance (Magical Bakery Mystery #8)
  • Potions and Pastries (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #7)
  • Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • Spells and Scones (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #6)
  • Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Murders and Metaphors (Magical Bookshop, #3)
  • To Catch a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #8)
  • Charms and Chocolate Chips (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #3)
  • A Witch to Remember (A Wishcraft Mystery, #9)
  • Purrder She Wrote (Cat Cafe Mystery, #2)
  • Murder in the Storybook Cottage (Book Retreat Mysteries, #6)
  • Magic and Macaroons (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • Pumpkin Spice Peril (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #12)
  • Bells, Spells, and Murders (Witch City Mystery #7)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Paws and Claws Mystery, #6)
  • Death Over Easy (Country Store Mysteries #5)
  • Bewitched and Betrothed (A Witchcraft Mystery #10)

Enchanted Garden Mystery (3 books)
  • Daisies for Innocence (Enchanted Garden Mystery, #1)
  • Nightshade for Warning (Enchanted Garden Mystery, #2)