Jump to ratings and reviews

What to Eat When: A Strategic Plan to Improve Your Health and Life Through Food

NY Times best-selling author Dr. Michael Roizen reveals how the food choices you make each day--and when you make them--can affect your health, your energy, your sex life, your waistline, your attitude, and the way you age.

What if eating two cups of blueberries a day could prevent cancer? If drinking a kale-infused smoothie could counteract missing an hour's worth of sleep? When is the right time of day to eat that chocolate chip cookie? And would you actually drink that glass of water if it meant skipping the gym? This revolutionary guide reveals how to use food to enhance our personal and professional lives--and increase longevity to boot. What to Eat When is not a diet book. Instead, acclaimed internist Michael Roizen and preventive medicine specialist Michael Crupain offer readers choices that benefit them the most--whether it's meals to help them look and feel younger or snacks that prevent diseases--based on the science that governs them.

352 pages, Hardcover

Michael F. Roizen, MD

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 102 reviews
Profile Image for Erin .
1,214 reviews1,123 followers
February 26, 2019
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

If you have a brain then you already know everything in this book.

Red Meat=Evil
Sugar=Evil
Fried Food = Evil

We all know this but....

God! How boring is it to eat healthy every single day of your life. And that is what this book says to do.

No cheat days

EVER!

Imagine never having chocolate cake again or eating fried chicken.

Sure I could live to be 100 only eating Steamed Chicken Breast & Broccoli and only drinking water but would I want to?

I think we should all try to eat as healthy as possible but I'm gonna need to drink a Dr. Pepper and eat some Reese's Cups every now and then just to maintain my sanity.

Here are some tips I will be(trying)use:

1.Don't eat after sundown
2.Make dinner your smallest meal
3.Drink more water(I Really really need to drink more water)
4.Plan my meals for the whole week ahead of time
5. Eat less fried food

Overall this book had some good tips, it was just way too strict for me and seeing as I'm allergic to dairy and most fish(Salmon will literally kill me) their plan is impossible for me to commit to.

No rec
Profile Image for Jane.
2,036 reviews31 followers
December 28, 2018
If you read healthy eating books regularly, you are not going to read much here you haven't read elsewhere. But I'm trying to get geared up to lose 10-20 pounds, and when I received an advance reader copy of this book I took it as a sign.
This book is very easy to read, and it is broken into chapters you can pick and choose between (what to eat when you need to shrink your prostate - nope; what to eat when you are nursing - nope; what to eat when you don't want to lose your mind - yep!). Sometimes the advice on what to eat seems contradictory (coffee, for example), but I guess that is not surprising as they cover a lot of different ailments and situations, and caffeine, for example, can be good sometimes and not good sometimes.

I like that this is not a diet book. It makes sense to me that breakfast and lunch should be bigger meals than dinner, and I already try to not eat after 8 pm. The book encourages you to make wise choices (although seriously, no one is going to give up sugar completely from reading this book).

Still, What to Eat When made me feel that I CAN make different choices and improve my weight and health. Talk to me in six months to see if this is true.
Profile Image for Kelly Long.
557 reviews18 followers
December 22, 2018
I read an ARC of this book. This is a very readable book with good information and some humor to keep it from being overly dry. I enjoyed the variety of situations each chapter focused on. Not a book to be read cover to cover but still can get the information from reading most of the chapters.
Profile Image for Ashkan Entezari.
28 reviews1 follower
March 3, 2019
If you wanna learn more about how food works and how you can apply that to your daily eating habits, this book gives you insights into what are the best food options and what works best in different situations (like when you're stressed, you can't sleep, you're sick, etc.) This book talks about the main nutrients, best food options and also talks about the best time to eat!

Here is a summary of my main highlights and takeaways from the book:

- the big 3 macro-nutrients are:
   1) Carbohydrates
       - Simple sugar —bad
          > table sugar, brown sugar, white flour, syrup
       - Starch —good
       - Fiber —good
    2) Proteins
    3) Fat (used for energy)
       - Saturated, trans —bad
          > animal products, red meat, beef, pork, butter, milk
       - Unsaturated —good
          > derived from plants (specially avocado), nuts, fatty acid in fish (esp. salmon)

- Eat when the sun is out and also front-load your day (more in the morning, 3/4 by 2pm and a light dinner at 7 latest)
   - our bodies tend to be more insulin resistant later in the day

- a good breakfast should have complex carbs, unsaturated fats, protein and whole grains. Dinner should be light and ideally salads and leafy vegetables.

- Don't stereotype your food! Feel free to save your heavy dinner and eat it next morning for breakfast!

- There are many good foods out there, but these are a few well knowns that would be good to have in your list:
    - non-starchy veggies: asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, mushroom, onion, pepper, tomato, celery, beets, ...
    - resistant starch veggies: cooked and cooled white and sweet potato, (not fully ripened!) bananas
   - healthy fats: extra virgin olive oil, dry roasted nuts (make sure no oil or salt is added), avocado
    - Whole grains: popcorn, quinoa, 100% whole grain bread
    - Plant and sea-based protein: fish (salmon, ocean trout), nuts, skinless chicken and turkey

- Already mentioned some good food choices, but for different reasons especially consider:
    - having lots of water
    - having avocado (especially for breakfast w/ salmon)
    - salmon!
    - walnut
    - Spinach
    - coffee and tea (2 cups should be good per day, consider green tea as well)
    - dark chocolate, garlic, mushroom, raisin, cranberries, peanuts, almonds, hummus
    - greek and Icelandic yogurt

- consider eating after workout, even better in the morning after an overnight fast

- "The antidote to temptation is preparation"
    - you should always prepare before you go to meetings, parties, etc. so you are not hungry
    - then you have to try to choose the more healthy ones (out of all unhealthy options)
    - try not to eat a lot (having a bit of unhealthy food once in a while is not too bad)
Profile Image for Debra.
469 reviews16 followers
January 5, 2019
The last self-help eating book I read was Fit for Life back in 1989. (Seriously.) I loved that book (which as I recall) was full of recipes, some pretty good ones at that. It got me on a juicing trend.

I have no idea where that book is today.

It's time to change up and really think about what we eat and how we eat it; hence I picked up What to Eat When.

Although this book is recipe free, it does have some great tips on getting the most out of food, like vegetable preparation and freezing. I appreciated "The Sub Shop" segments which acknowledged not-so-healthy traditions but offered better plans: oatmeal instead of cereal, egg white fritatta with veggies instead of bacon and eggs. (You get the gist.) A lot of the "Subs" are no-brainers but we obviously need gentle reminders.

After initially skimming the book, I immediately went to Chapter 35, "What to Eat...When you Don't Want to Lose Your Mind." The authors do have a sense of humor, especially in this chapter.
Perhaps you cannot remember where you placed your keys. Or maybe you can't remember a person's face. Sometimes you forget what you just said. And sometimes you forget what you just said (266).

There is a bit of playfulness throughout the book.

Again, the information here wasn't revolutionary but it did cause me to re-plan menus. Besides just exercising our brains by jump-starting our neurons, the best food to eat is salmon, ocean trout, leafy greens, walnuts, coffee, olive oil, and blueberries. CUT OUT THE SUGAR!

When I went back to peruse the book, I found the same format and nothing really earth shattering as far as new information was concerned. What to Eat When is a concise compendium of what we probably already know but need reminders and tips on. Don't pick this up if you want a diet book with recipes and plans. Do pick this up if you want a New Year's reminder of "what to eat when."

I did find "The 10 Commands of the When Way" at the back of the book very helpful.
February 10, 2023
A good one time read. If you have read many nutrition related books, you can skim through the book in few hours. Although I appreciate the table at the end of each chapter, I would have liked them to give more solid examples for breakfast and lunch. It left me wanting for more.
Profile Image for Karrie.
513 reviews9 followers
February 11, 2019
Again. I did *not* finish this book. I got to page 70.

I cringed when I saw it was written by Dr Oz’s affiliates. I don’t think he’s evil, but a psuedoScientist that encourages people to buy unnecessary expensive items in the name of health. A modern age Snakeoil salesman.

They try to sell that you should only eat during sunlight hours bc of circadian rhythm...something we don’t quite have a full understanding of yet, but notice that our bodies do certain processes at certain times automatically.

Ok. It makes sense not to eat late, eat most of your food by 2 pm and have a light dinner. Ayurveda also promotes this for different reasons.

THEN you get to the point where egg yolks aren’t ok. 🙄 but whites are. Then you know it’s based on Pseudoscience and I’m not interested in reading the rest.

1) I’m not heavily overweight.
2) I’m still “normal” in the waist to height, Fat calculation that they give in Ch 2.
3) I know I need to eat better, more often and exercise.

The sad thing, is now National Geographic has branded their name on this book.

All of this is NOT new news in the first 1:3rd of the book. I have 70 other books checked out and this one I’m going to pass over to someone that has a Hold on it.

Good luck 🍀
Profile Image for Diane Busch.
228 reviews2 followers
February 22, 2019
My take away from this book is:
The food we consume has an impact on our health:
1. Food is medicine. "The single most important decision you make every day is what you chose to put into your mouth."
2. Timing matters. Eat during daylight hours only. Eat most of your calories in first half of your day. No night eating. Grab crunchy raw veggies if it’s emergency. Fast every night for 12-16 hours.
Make wise food choices. Be prepared with substitutions when you crave foods that are not healthy. Avoid sugar. More sugar in your blood means more damage to your body and more stored fat. Avoid processed food.
Throw away your preconceived ideas of eating certain foods at certain times. Don’t think cereal or pastries as breakfast. Instead eat dinner leftovers for breakfast. Stop stereotyping food - eat salad and grilled chicken or black bean burgers for breakfast and eggs for lunch. Oatmeal with nuts for dinner. Avoid simple carbs at dinner and evening. Instead eat fiber-rich vegetables and protein. Dont eat all your dinner, save some for breakfast.
The second half of the book is full information on what to eat and substitutions for common foods for a variety of social situations, holidays, illnesses, or proactive preventions.
Profile Image for Marie.
1,503 reviews9 followers
December 25, 2021
Eating strategically is not about strength or will power, it is about strategy.

Those who ate breakfast ate less during the day.

Aim to get 3/4 of your daily calories in before 2 pm.

Green tea has an amino acid which has a calming effect.

Oranges are good when you are not feeling well.

Cherries are good for pain.

Bananas, rice, apples or toast are good for digestive problems.

Cranberries, raisins, apricots and prunes are good to get your digestive system moving again.

Coffee and green tea give you energy and make you sharper.

Dark chocolate helps lower inflation.

Garlic and mushrooms help prevent cancer.

Blueberries improve brain function.

Oranges, kale and spinach preserve eye function.
Profile Image for Jamie.
154 reviews
March 31, 2019
A quick read with an interesting premise to only eat during daylight hours. The idea of eating 3/4 (or more!) of your daily calories before dinnertime would take a bigger lifestyle change for most people... but I like the reminder of how beneficial eating whole foods is, as well as the sections in the last half of the book that talk about the health benefits of specific foods.
Profile Image for Meredith.
121 reviews3 followers
May 21, 2019
I read about the book in Nat Geo (it was evidently written in conjunction with a Nat Geo team), and picked it up.

It is a very easy read, with most of the "when" part near the beginning. The authors espouse:
-Restrict your eating time to 12 hours during daylight
-Breakfast and lunch are the most important meals - you want to front load your calories
-Our peak hunger occurs at night (8pm ish) but the body is actually primed to interact best with food in the morning
-Aim to get 3/4 of your calories in before 2pm
-Eat your sweet potatoes cooled - less problematic effects on your blood sugar ?!?

The rest of the book is dedicated to specific situations in which a person might need dietary guidance. It basically comes down to eating salmon and walnuts and leafy greens.
Profile Image for Lorena Ballesteros .
180 reviews10 followers
May 3, 2022
Llevo meses investigando sobre la comida como medicina preventiva y curativa. Década texto saco conclusiones generales y las voy aplicando a mi estilo de vida. En este caso, encontré un texto amigable y explicativo, con fundamentos científicos.

El libro da pautas para saber no sólo qué comer, sino cuando comerlo. Habla de las horas del día en que debemos ingerir alimentos; pero también de qué debemos y no debemos comer cuando: estamos estresados, tenemos diabetes, insomnio, gripe, eventos sociales, hipertensión… la lista es larga y práctica.

Disfruté y me sirvió. Sigo avanzando con mis estudios sobre nutrición.
Profile Image for Natalie  all_books_great_and_small .
2,035 reviews71 followers
March 2, 2019
This book was sent to me in exchange for an honest review.
I found this book to be an amazing little treasure trove of information and felt it was an omen id been offered to review it when im starting to make changes to my diet this year. This isnt a book i can sit and read cover to cover but it has sections i read through at my leisure.
My daughter gets 'hangry' and enjoyed reading the section about what to eat under this area. I found the book an enjoyable read and insightful as well as informative. I will definitely be keeping it handy to refer to again and again.
Profile Image for Sophie Rayton.
786 reviews44 followers
August 29, 2019
I was sceptical about the idea that eating certain foods at certain times would be good or bad for you, but the way it's presented in this book is quite convincing and I am considering putting the it to the test. I did feel that the book was unnecessarily padded out and that the main message could have been condensed down to a shorter book, but I appreciate publishers like a 300 page book so I understand why that was.
Profile Image for Diane.
745 reviews57 followers
March 4, 2019
January is the month when people make their resolutions, and many people choose to get healthier as their top one. Dr. Michael F. Roizen and Dr. Michael Crupain (both of who have worked with Dr. Oz) have a new book What to Eat When to help achieve that goal.

What to Eat When gives the reader a 31-day plan to work on, as many other diet books do. What makes this book unique is that is also has chapters that deal with eating in specific situations- what to eat when you are stressed, experiencing grief, when you get a lot of headaches or when you are in pain.

They also have chapters on what to eat when you are taking a big test, going for a job interview, when you are on a first date, or on vacation. If you're going to a party or a baseball stadium, they recommend making the rounds of all the food at the party or stadium before making a food choice. That way you'll be able to make the healthiest choice. They also suggest eating a healthy snack and drinking water before you go.

There are chapters for women on what to eat when you're trying to get pregnant or nursing, have PMS, or hot flashes. Men have chapters on what to eat to boost testosterone and improve fertility.

If you want to protect your heart, have healthy lungs, or reduce inflammation, they have chapters on that as well.

The most helpful advice I found was to eat within a 12 hour period each day, which means fasting for 12 hours a day. They do suggest to eat only when the sun is up, but as someone who grew up in a cold, snowy environment where it gets dark at 4pm during the winter, that is hard to do.

They also suggest eating three-quarters of your entire day's calories before 2pm, meaning a big breakfast and lunch, and only consuming 20% of your day's calories at dinner. That is a radical change for most of us. I did find that some of their suggestions would be difficult for many people to strictly follow.

There were many foods that popped up frequently on most of their menus- salmon, walnuts, extra-virgin olive oil, and avocado are tops on their list of the best foods. Unfortunately for many people, those foods are expensive. But their suggestion to drink more water is one that everyone can easily achieve (they also like coffee). They also recommend making a plan for healthy eating, stating that "planning is kryptonite to temptation."

At the end of each chapter is a chart that gives you healthy substitutions.- guacamole for cheese dip, whole citrus fruits for juice, extra-virgin olive oil for butter, corn on the cob instead of nachos or fries at the stadium- that will train you to think more carefully about your food choices.

What to Eat When has lots of good advice for those looking to get healthier, although following it strictly may be difficult for many people. Just making a few of their suggested changes though, will certainly help.

Profile Image for Amanda.
42 reviews
September 2, 2019
I've re-read this book and it's going to be part of my permanent collection. This is an essential read for human health and has helped me with falling asleep and my energy levels. Previously I was in a sleep study and I didn't show any improvement but after applying the knowledge in this book proper sleeping and eating has become routine.

the book is written in familiar terms, the jokes where quirky but digestible. The introduction to the overall science of nutrients and the digestive system is written well however the grand themes could have been more organized for the fats section, a diagram would have been more helpful.

The overall application of this eating regime is well thought out for a behavioural program.

The chapters on practical applications for eating in response to environmental factors were great contextual additions to add because they acknowledge the potential complications that could interfere with the behavioural program. Each chapter included examples of foods that are appropriate in different circumstances for example the examples of what to eat when someone has a cold. These examples can be repetitive but that adds to the quality of this being a practically and applicable book because it's a great way to help with committing the information to memory and as the authour pointed out, there are essentials in the human diet that need to be consumed in a wide variety of situations.

I did fact checks on most of the content. It's well researched however do your own research for the specific examples of foods because for some of the suggestions the overall body of literature doesn't agree with some exclusions that were mentioned in this book. For example coconut oil is given as an example as a bad fat however a review of multiple peer reviewed publications shows that that is debatable and there is even evidence that 1/4-1/2 of coconut oil a day can have health benefits. These moments are rare in the book but be sure to do a fact check for these important details before taking foods out of your diet.
Profile Image for Amy.
3,474 reviews78 followers
March 6, 2019
The authors consider their book "life changing" with "amazing information," but I didn't see this. While they did have a few interesting tips, including making dinner your smallest meal of the day, eat less calories than you're burning, and don't eat after sundown, their advice was not always practical, i.e. the sundown thing. It's like they think everyone works 8-4 or 9-5 and goes straight home after work.

Many of their tips I had seen before or learned via WW (aka Weight Watchers): Drink a ton of water (hydrate, hydrate, hydrate), put your fork down between bites, eat your fruit instead of drinking it (juice) - chewing burns calories, and plan your meals for the week - Overall, little new information included.

Basically, this book boils down to eat healthy all of the time - the only time you can have sugar is when you're sick, and only in a drink concoction that they recommend you make, to help replace electrolytes that you are losing.

Do not eat processed foods, including meats (this means bacon). Do not eat any red meat. The three foods you should always be consuming are salmon, walnuts, and water. There are no suggestions for people who do not like these foods or may be allergic ...

Part III of this book is What to Eat When - What's the Situation? This was somewhat interesting. They dedicated 3-4 pages to different health concerns, i.e. What to eat when your stresses, or can't sleep, or at home, or on vacation (stick to the plan; little or no variation), etc. For each concern, they give MVP foods, "Key Players," and "Cut From the Team," as well as a list of a few foods and things you should substitute.

Although readable, I just didn't find this book all that helpful.

Profile Image for Owen Rataj.
156 reviews3 followers
February 1, 2022
As an avid National Geographic reader, this sat on my "To Read" shelf for nigh on two years after reading an article in their monthly edition on the power of a set diet, which was itself advertising this book. Thinking I'd better make a dent in the ever-growing "To Read" shelf, I decided it was time to give it an order. What better timing than immediately after New Year - what with new diets, new gym routines, and "new me" being so prevalent?

And yet, after a two-year lead-up to reading What To Eat When, I didn't gain nearly as much insight from it as I'd hoped. The majority I found as simply stating the obvious, with the remainder not providing nearly as much detail as I'd like. A few scientific terms were thrown in for good measure here and there, although gave little to the overall understanding of the means and processes of nutrients, digestion, biology, etc.

It may sound strange but, have you ever read a book where you can immediately tell the nationality of the author(s)? This was definitely one of them, where Americanism drips from the page. Small quirks, mild puns, and jokes were throughout; which made it a little hard to digest (excuse the pun) <-- a perfect example of said pun and the self-acknowledgment of it.

The bulk of this book I ended up skipping through as it became a chapter by chapter listing for "What to eat when... hangry!" and similar examples. Perhaps useful to some, although not my idea of a relaxing read before bedtime.
Profile Image for Diane.
2,024 reviews5 followers
January 26, 2019
I saw this book on the "new books" shelf and it seemed like a worthy choice to start 2019 off on the right foot. I liked that it was written by (2) doctors and although I loved the way the book was organized, much of the information was not new to me.

In this book you will learn how to use various foods to increase your longevity and improve the way you feel. The authors claim that out bodies are designed to eat more in the morning and less in the evening for optimal effectiveness. They recommend eating only in the daylight hours if possible and consuming all your food intake in a 12 hour period - ie: 6a.m.-6p.m (no snacking afterward). We adopted this type of eating style 3.5 years ago when I retired and I lost about 12 lbs without since I stopped working without dieting.

This is definitely not a weight loss book, it's full of ideas for healthier alternatives and better food choices. I liked the way the book was organized and, that the book has different step by step suggestions for different lifestyles. I do admit to skimming sections where I didn't feel that the info was new or relevant but, overall, it's a book worth checking out (if your library has a copy)

3.5/5
44 reviews
June 18, 2020
The book has an interesting premise, when is just as important as what you eat. Timing meals so you eat your heaviest meals in the morning and lighter meals in the evening. Although with this, the book asks for a paradigm shift of eating. Rethinking what foods you eat for breakfast and what foods to eat for lunch and supper. For instance, one of the recommendations was to cut supper in half and eat the other half for breakfast. For the average person this can be an appauling thought. They also suggest limiting your intake of red meats and egg whites to one meal per week, and not consuming both in the same week. Some of the information will be familiar to you if you've spent any time in the self-help health space. I enjoyed the diet recommendations at the end of the book related to different health issues one could have and how food can help alleviate them. Overall I think the book is an easy read, and the concepts are very digestible, pun intended. However not everybody will be willing to make the dietary changes recommended. If you're looking for a new dietary lifestyle to help deal with some issues you've been dealing with, it could be worth the read.
Profile Image for Megan Oneail.
230 reviews3 followers
February 18, 2019
I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this book in exchange for a fair review, and I have to say that I went in very skeptical and came out very pleased!
What to Eat When is not a fad diet book, it’s a book designed to help you learn better eating habits and make real lasting changes in your life!
This is not the type of book you want to sit down and read cover to cover, and I found it most useful and most enjoyable to pick chapters from the table of contents to peruse at my interest. For example, as a woman I didn’t feel the need to read “When you need a testosterone boost”, but loved “when you’re stressed and hangry”. The authors also added in plenty of humor that had me chuckling as I read.
The one thing I missed in this book was the lack of recipes. Even a few would have been nice, especially since I collect recipes like they are gold! However, I loved the “sub shop” clips that gave great “not this, but that” style tips.
All in all, if you’re looking to live a healthier life and start making better food choices, I would’ve recommend adding this to your reading list!
Read
May 15, 2020
I get Hangry some times, my mom has a lot of migraines every day, so where do I go to to see what can help? No, not Google, What To Eat When! Solves all of my troubles, with a satisfied stomach! If you haven't yet, you should get a book! Yes, I know, it's 14 dollars for the kindle, but think how much happier your stomach would be, no, not your stomach, your whole body!!! Got a first date soon? No problemo! Have a bunch of migraines that you just want to go away? They got that to! NO, THIS IS NOT CLICKBAIT!!! NO, STOP, IT'S NOT!!! I'm just saying! If you want a happy body, at least read the sample to see how your body even processes the mac and cheese you ate last night! Welp, that's all I've got to say, and plz like and subscribe on Youtube to my channel! And join the Pug-Pack! BARK BARK! BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Profile Image for Colbys Dovi.
8 reviews
June 2, 2020
"When to eat when" is a book about how what you eat is as important as when you eat it.
Once that point is a made, the book presents a nice guide on how to eat food who loves you back. Food who doesn't punish you for eating it, but rather helps your body and your mind to be an ally in your journey.
In that guide you can find examples of things to eat in diverse life situations: when you're grieving, before a job interview, when you have diarrhea, when you're trying to conceive, ...
It's the kind of book you keep close for a regular glance. I enjoyed it, and I think it's worth reading or listening to.
If you decide to read/listen to it, keep in mind: you don't have to do everything said in this book. As always, just take what you think might be good for you right now. That way you won't be overwhelmed or feel like you've been told to change your entire life.
762 reviews21 followers
September 1, 2020
With so many books out there telling us what the new fad diet is sometimes it’s hard to decide what’s best. One day eggs are good, the next day eggs are a big no no. Want a glass of milk? Good luck with that! 2%, soy, cashew, almond, coconut, oat, hemp, rice I could go on and on!
What to Eat When is not only a guide to foods your body needs, but also a guide to why it needs them. Delicious recipes with gorgeous pictures with have your mouth watering!
“Eat only when the sun is up; Eat more early,less later.”
I learned so much from this book and found many recipes I’m excited to try. I was happy to see Vegan, low carb, low calorie and low fat dishes. The photos are done by National Geographic so you know they are top notch. I’ve never seen broccoli look so appealing before!
If you’d looking for a new cookbook I highly recommend What to Eat When.
Profile Image for Luca Nicoletti.
107 reviews1 follower
April 12, 2022
I initially thought the main focus was on when (as in, when in the day) you should eat. And that is surely part of the book, as it's one of the main focuses in it, but that's not all.
There are a lot of sections named as follows: "what to eat when XXX", XXX being different situations, such as you're pregnant, you're stressed, you're going on a first date, you're training, etc...
So I was pleasantly surprised by the number of examples and situations covered in this book. Even if the key ideas it covers are repeated and some of the good food listed are present in almost every "when" scenario.
A great resource to have in your library, I'd love to find online resources with the food, lists, recipes and shopping must/must-not mentioned in the audiobook, but I couldn't find any website with them
Profile Image for Jyoti.
32 reviews
February 27, 2023
The book is primarily for American audience, you can definitely use the basic steps they base half the book on like eating before sunset, short eating period, water! water! water!, stop stereotyping food, no sugar or processed food etc. But most of the meal suggestion are heavily westernised which obviously make sense because that's where they are based, know and understand best. Understand the basic rules of being healthy from here through the "when way" then customise your meals according to your own cultural background. It's very important to understand you can't just change your diet from Asian to Western just like that, your body likes familiarity so yes, you can introduce some things here and cut others there but do not just change your diet to different cultural identity. Make it a gradual process if you really want to.
Profile Image for Jenny GB.
839 reviews3 followers
March 24, 2020
This is a good book, but it wasn't really the right time to read it (during a pandemic where I shouldn't be going to the grocery store a lot to change my eating habits). It did give me some things to think about and had a good plan to slowly change to a healthier style of eating. I appreciate that the authors don't advocate any extreme measures and instead are recommending healthy foods and arranging your eating so that you get the most out of that food. The back two-thirds of the book focus on specific scenarios, but unfortunately, the advice gets really repetitive as the authors repeat over and over to eat salmon, eat walnuts, drink coffee and water, etc. I ended up just browsing throught that section and finishing the book quickly.
105 reviews
February 7, 2019
This book is very easy to read. It sums up basic information that is probably familiar to anyone who follows health research. The chapters are organized so that topics of particular interest can be chosen from the Table of Contents. By reading the entire book it becomes obvious that certain foods are best to consume for good nutrition, and others should be avoided.

The main emphasis that could be new to some readers is that meals should be consumed during daylight hours, and food intake should be done sparingly, if at all, toward the end of the day.
The various charts of food substitutions may be beneficial to those who want to address a specific condition, or good nutrition in general

Profile Image for Courtney Chappell.
941 reviews1 follower
May 6, 2019
I was really excited when I saw this book in a store one day but as soon as I started reading it, the excitement wore off. For the most part, what the books authors want you to do is eat while the sun is up and make dinner a smaller meal. I like the idea of this but for someone who usually works from 6:30-6:30, I can’t have eat every meal while the sun is out.
The book also really is against sugar of any kind. And most dairy. And processed foods. And basically if I ate salmon every day of my life, these guys would be for it.
It had a bit of good information in it, but I wouldn’t read this again.
Profile Image for Kbird.
448 reviews9 followers
July 11, 2019
There is nothing new in this book. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, some carbs and some meat. Limit red meats, alcohol, refined sugar, unhealthy fats, processed foods...everything you love basically...Eat your biggest meal in the morning, followed by a big lunch and a tiny dinner. Try to only eat during daylight hours. Drink your weight in water.

I thought this book would be more about 'eat blueberries with lemon for colon health' or consume 'Garlic+salt water to cure a sore throat'. Instead I got the government's 'My Plate' explained to me with loose references to Dr.s who eat this way.

Also, no cheat days.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 102 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.