Start by marking “What to Eat When: A Strategic Plan to Improve Your Health and Life Through Food” as Want to Read:
What to Eat When: A Strategic Plan to Improve Your Health and Life Through Food

What to Eat When: A Strategic Plan to Improve Your Health and Life Through Food

NY Times best-selling author Dr. Michael Roizen reveals how the food choices you make each day--and when you make them--can affect your health, your energy, your sex life, your waistline, your attitude, and the way you age.

What if eating two cups of blueberries a day could prevent cancer? If drinking a kale-infused smoothie could counteract missing an hour's worth of sleep
Published December 31st 2018 by National Geographic Society

To ask other readers questions about What to Eat When, please sign up.
Patricia Likakis The nutrition advice still applies regardless. Just ignore the part about eating during the day according to your circadian rhythm and you should be f…moreThe nutrition advice still applies regardless. Just ignore the part about eating during the day according to your circadian rhythm and you should be fine. (less)
Amy It's not a recipe book, but they do talk about meat (good & bad). They recommend skinless turkey and chicken, fish, especially Wild-Caught Salmon, and…moreIt's not a recipe book, but they do talk about meat (good & bad). They recommend skinless turkey and chicken, fish, especially Wild-Caught Salmon, and plant proteins. Hope this helps!(less)

Start your review of What to Eat When: A Strategic Plan to Improve Your Health and Life Through Food
Erin
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

If you have a brain then you already know everything in this book.

Red Meat=Evil
Sugar=Evil
Fried Food = Evil

We all know this but....

God! How boring is it to eat healthy every single day of your life. And that is what this book says to do.

No cheat days

EVER!

Imagine never having chocolate cake again or eating fried chicken.

Sure I could live to be 100 only eating Steamed Chicken Breast & Broccoli and only drinking water but would I want to?

I think we shou
Kelly Long
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, nonfiction
I read an ARC of this book. This is a very readable book with good information and some humor to keep it from being overly dry. I enjoyed the variety of situations each chapter focused on. Not a book to be read cover to cover but still can get the information from reading most of the chapters.
Jane
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you read healthy eating books regularly, you are not going to read much here you haven't read elsewhere. But I'm trying to get geared up to lose 10-20 pounds, and when I received an advance reader copy of this book I took it as a sign.
This book is very easy to read, and it is broken into chapters you can pick and choose between (what to eat when you need to shrink your prostate - nope; what to eat when you are nursing - nope; what to eat when you don't want to lose your mind - yep!). Somet
Ashkan Entezari
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you wanna learn more about how food works and how you can apply that to your daily eating habits, this book gives you insights into what are the best food options and what works best in different situations (like when you're stressed, you can't sleep, you're sick, etc.) This book talks about the main nutrients, best food options and also talks about the best time to eat!

Here is a summary of my main highlights and takeaways from the book:

- the big 3 macro-nutrients are:
   1) Carbohydrates

Debra
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: foodie-reads
The last self-help eating book I read was Fit for Life back in 1989. (Seriously.) I loved that book (which as I recall) was full of recipes, some pretty good ones at that. It got me on a juicing trend.

I have no idea where that book is today.

It's time to change up and really think about what we eat and how we eat it; hence I picked up What to Eat When.

Although this book is recipe free, it does have some great tips on getting the most out of food, like vegetable preparation and freezing. I appre
Karrie S
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Again. I did *not* finish this book. I got to page 70.

I cringed when I saw it was written by Dr Oz’s affiliates. I don’t think he’s evil, but a psuedoScientist that encourages people to buy unnecessary expensive items in the name of health. A modern age Snakeoil salesman.

They try to sell that you should only eat during sunlight hours bc of circadian rhythm...something we don’t quite have a full understanding of yet, but notice that our bodies do certain processes at certain times automatically
Diane Busch
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
My take away from this book is:
The food we consume has an impact on our health:
1. Food is medicine. "The single most important decision you make every day is what you chose to put into your mouth."
2. Timing matters. Eat during daylight hours only. Eat most of your calories in first half of your day. No night eating. Grab crunchy raw veggies if it’s emergency. Fast every night for 12-16 hours.
Make wise food choices. Be prepared with substitutions when you crave foods that are not healthy. Avoid
M-death
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read about the book in Nat Geo (it was evidently written in conjunction with a Nat Geo team), and picked it up.

It is a very easy read, with most of the "when" part near the beginning. The authors espouse:
-Restrict your eating time to 12 hours during daylight
-Breakfast and lunch are the most important meals - you want to front load your calories
-Our peak hunger occurs at night (8pm ish) but the body is actually primed to interact best with food in the morning
-Aim to get 3/4 of your calories in
Natalie
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was sent to me in exchange for an honest review.
I found this book to be an amazing little treasure trove of information and felt it was an omen id been offered to review it when im starting to make changes to my diet this year. This isnt a book i can sit and read cover to cover but it has sections i read through at my leisure.
My daughter gets 'hangry' and enjoyed reading the section about what to eat under this area. I found the book an enjoyable read and insightful as well as informa
Sophie Rayton
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I was sceptical about the idea that eating certain foods at certain times would be good or bad for you, but the way it's presented in this book is quite convincing and I am considering putting the it to the test. I did feel that the book was unnecessarily padded out and that the main message could have been condensed down to a shorter book, but I appreciate publishers like a 300 page book so I understand why that was.
Jamie
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
A quick read with an interesting premise to only eat during daylight hours. The idea of eating 3/4 (or more!) of your daily calories before dinnertime would take a bigger lifestyle change for most people... but I like the reminder of how beneficial eating whole foods is, as well as the sections in the last half of the book that talk about the health benefits of specific foods.
Marie
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Eating strategically is not about strength or will power, it is about strategy."

"Those who ate breakfast ate less during the day."

"Aim to get 3/4 of your daily calories in before 2 pm."

"Green tea has an amino acid which has a calming effect."

"Oranges are good when you are not feeling well."

"Cherries are good for pain."

"Bananas, rice, apples or toast are good for digestive problems."

"Cranberries, raisins, apricots and prunes are good to get your digestive system moving again."

"Coffee and green t
Diane
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
January is the month when people make their resolutions, and many people choose to get healthier as their top one. Dr. Michael F. Roizen and Dr. Michael Crupain (both of who have worked with Dr. Oz) have a new book What to Eat When to help achieve that goal.

What to Eat When gives the reader a 31-day plan to work on, as many other diet books do. What makes this book unique is that is also has chapters that deal with eating in specific situations- what to eat when you are stressed, experiencing gr
Amanda
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've re-read this book and it's going to be part of my permanent collection. This is an essential read for human health and has helped me with falling asleep and my energy levels. Previously I was in a sleep study and I didn't show any improvement but after applying the knowledge in this book proper sleeping and eating has become routine.

the book is written in familiar terms, the jokes where quirky but digestible. The introduction to the overall science of nutrients and the digestive system is w
Amy
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
The authors consider their book "life changing" with "amazing information," but I didn't see this. While they did have a few interesting tips, including making dinner your smallest meal of the day, eat less calories than you're burning, and don't eat after sundown, their advice was not always practical, i.e. the sundown thing. It's like they think everyone works 8-4 or 9-5 and goes straight home after work.

Many of their tips I had seen before or learned via WW (aka Weight Watchers): Drink a ton
Diane
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I saw this book on the "new books" shelf and it seemed like a worthy choice to start 2019 off on the right foot. I liked that it was written by (2) doctors and although I loved the way the book was organized, much of the information was not new to me.

In this book you will learn how to use various foods to increase your longevity and improve the way you feel. The authors claim that out bodies are designed to eat more in the morning and less in the evening for optimal effectiveness. They recommend
Justin
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it
The book has an interesting premise, when is just as important as what you eat. Timing meals so you eat your heaviest meals in the morning and lighter meals in the evening. Although with this, the book asks for a paradigm shift of eating. Rethinking what foods you eat for breakfast and what foods to eat for lunch and supper. For instance, one of the recommendations was to cut supper in half and eat the other half for breakfast. For the average person this can be an appauling thought. They also s ...more
Megan Oneail
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this book in exchange for a fair review, and I have to say that I went in very skeptical and came out very pleased!
What to Eat When is not a fad diet book, it’s a book designed to help you learn better eating habits and make real lasting changes in your life!
This is not the type of book you want to sit down and read cover to cover, and I found it most useful and most enjoyable to pick chapters from the table of contents to peruse at my interest. For examp
I aint tellin u my name or
I get Hangry some times, my mom has a lot of migraines every day, so where do I go to to see what can help? No, not Google, What To Eat When! Solves all of my troubles, with a satisfied stomach! If you haven't yet, you should get a book! Yes, I know, it's 14 dollars for the kindle, but think how much happier your stomach would be, no, not your stomach, your whole body!!! Got a first date soon? No problemo! Have a bunch of migraines that you just want to go away? They got that to! NO, THIS IS NOT ...more
Colbys Dovi
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
"When to eat when" is a book about how what you eat is as important as when you eat it.
Once that point is a made, the book presents a nice guide on how to eat food who loves you back. Food who doesn't punish you for eating it, but rather helps your body and your mind to be an ally in your journey.
In that guide you can find examples of things to eat in diverse life situations: when you're grieving, before a job interview, when you have diarrhea, when you're trying to conceive, ...
It's the kind
Jenny GB
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a good book, but it wasn't really the right time to read it (during a pandemic where I shouldn't be going to the grocery store a lot to change my eating habits). It did give me some things to think about and had a good plan to slowly change to a healthier style of eating. I appreciate that the authors don't advocate any extreme measures and instead are recommending healthy foods and arranging your eating so that you get the most out of that food. The back two-thirds of the book focus on ...more
Mary
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is very easy to read. It sums up basic information that is probably familiar to anyone who follows health research. The chapters are organized so that topics of particular interest can be chosen from the Table of Contents. By reading the entire book it becomes obvious that certain foods are best to consume for good nutrition, and others should be avoided.

The main emphasis that could be new to some readers is that meals should be consumed during daylight hours, and food intake should be
Courtney Johnson
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I was really excited when I saw this book in a store one day but as soon as I started reading it, the excitement wore off. For the most part, what the books authors want you to do is eat while the sun is up and make dinner a smaller meal. I like the idea of this but for someone who usually works from 6:30-6:30, I can’t have eat every meal while the sun is out.
The book also really is against sugar of any kind. And most dairy. And processed foods. And basically if I ate salmon every day of my lif
Kbird
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
There is nothing new in this book. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, some carbs and some meat. Limit red meats, alcohol, refined sugar, unhealthy fats, processed foods...everything you love basically...Eat your biggest meal in the morning, followed by a big lunch and a tiny dinner. Try to only eat during daylight hours. Drink your weight in water.

I thought this book would be more about 'eat blueberries with lemon for colon health' or consume 'Garlic+salt water to cure a sore
Susan Adler
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helpful and informative. I am a health foodie and all the “what” diet advice is already part of my life. The “when” was very helpful and I began to follow it immediately. I struggle slowing down and find that setting the fork down helps. Also the eat prior to 2pm fits right into my hunger window and adding the calories for a snack in the initial days’ calculation as opposed to reaching into the jar when no one is looking. So, thank you for this book. There is something in these pages for all of ...more
Jacquelyn Martin
Feb 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this directly after reading change your schedule change you life by Dr. Kshirsagar and I liked that book much better. The second half of this book was.. what to eat when ... you have a test.. or a bad day.. or a hangnail (okay maybe not that one) but blah blah blah and 80% of the advise for each was all the same. I'm not saying that there was no point to reading this book but I learned much less from it than I had hoped.
Andrea Covington
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nutrition
This book is very repetitive and not nearly as specific as the cover art implies. For people that already eat healthy there might be a couple of pointers to learn but for the most part it is geared towards making changes for people who regularly eat junk. Additionally, as far as lifestyle changes go, this plan is a bit extreme. Most people will not willingly give up all sugar, eggs, dairy and meat for the rest of their lives. If they were we would all be vegans already.
Katie Boyd
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Do not recommend. Reeked of standard diet book writing style. Lots of really dumbed down analogies instead of real information. The basic concept (thinking about the timing of your eating, for example eating more earlier in the day) seemed somewhat similar to real advice I'm getting from a nutritionist, so it's not complete garbage, but I didn't find it very educational or helpful overall. I only finished it because it fits in a "reading bingo" challenge category so I wanted credit for it.
Margie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fascinating study of the what and when of eating. It turns out our bodies use food, of course the right food, most efficiently depending on the time of day we eat. There are numerous mentions of the right/best foods: more fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, olive oil, salmon, whole grains, complex carbs, lots of water. The "when" is truly interesting as our bodies do best when we eat according to our circadian rhythms. We are more basic than we ever realized.
David Wygant
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reduce window for eating from 14 hours to 11 hours to lose weight and improve sleep. Eat three quarters of food before 2pm. Be mindful and eat slowly. Avoid foods which contain simple carbohydrates, sugar and saturated fats such as red meat, egg yolks and dairy. Focus instead on a Mediterranean-style diet, in which most of the calories come from nuts, plants, plant-based fats like avocados and olive oil, as well as some oily fish like trout or salmon.

« previous 1 3 next »

• Eat to Beat Disease: The New Science of How Your Body Can Heal Itself
  • The Longevity Paradox: How to Die Young at a Ripe Old Age
  • The Power of Ideals: The Real Story of Moral Choice
  • Design Your Future: 3 Simple Steps to Stop Drifting and Take Command of Your Life
  • A Short History of Brexit: From Brentry to Backstop (Pelican Books)
  • Dogfight: How Apple and Google Went to War and Started a Revolution
  • محمد صلى الله عليه وسلم كأنك تراه
  • The Metabolism Reset Diet: Repair Your Liver, Stop Storing Fat, and Lose Weight Naturally
  • The Myths of Creativity: The Truth about How Innovative Companies and People Generate Great Ideas
  • The Mindful Day: Practical Ways to Find Focus, Calm, and Joy from Morning to Evening
  • Wise Guy: Lessons from a Life
  • Women with Money: Create the Joyful, Less Stressed, Purposeful Life You Want with the Money You Have
  • An Elegant Defense: The Extraordinary New Science of the Immune System: A Tale in Four Lives
  • Undo It!: How Simple Lifestyle Changes Can Reverse Most Chronic Diseases
  • Left To Die (An Adele Sharp Mystery—Book One)
  • Moonshot: What Landing a Man on the Moon Teaches Us about Collaboration, Creativity, and the Mind-Set for Success
  • Game Changers: What Leaders, Innovators, and Mavericks Do to Win at Life