Start by marking “The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom” as Want to Read:
The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom

The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  473 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom strives to answer life's most imponderable question: What Do Women Really Do in the Bathroom?

When the witty and urbane Claire St. John leaves New York City and returns to Austin, Texas, she realizes that all of the good advice she has ever received has been from strangers in the women's bathroom. If only she'd listened before she'd m
Published March 27th 2007 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom

Kori
Nov 20, 2008 rated it did not like it
Hugh Jackman is pimping himself out as a chick lit cover blurb writer. Oh yes, People’s current Sexiest Man Alive had the following to say about this book:

“A great read, and a great laugh – and now we guys know what’s really going on in there!” – Hugh Jackman, actor.

So what’s with this? Is he related to the author? Her lover? Is she Australian? Was blackmail involved? Was he drunk? WTF, Hugh? - So, of course, I had to take it home.

I didn’t finish this book. After 75 pages of yucky one-liners li
Alexa Ayana
Well buku ini ringan, lucu dan ala chicklit banget tapi super menghibur. Trus juga mengulik beberapa jurus-jurus dan rahasia di balik relationship. Aku suka dengan gaya bercerita buku ini yang seger dan ga bikin bosen. Trus banternya juga cerdas dan seksi, scene-scenenya nakal dan menghibur, dan joke-jokenya juga nendang banget. Tipe buku ringan bikin ngikik yang bakalan kamu baca pas lagi butuh hiburan.

My rating : 3.5/5
Cupcakencorset
Funny, surprising, entertaining fluff. I liked the book overall, although I didn’t appreciate the author’s (and therefore all the major female characters’) point of view that all women in their 30s and 40s want a man above all other things. Or that women in this decade are ashamed of being divorced. Those two things made parts of the book feel like they were written in the early 1980s, rather than in the present. Anachronistic… unless the women in Barrett’s world really are primarily preoccupied ...more
Erin
Aug 18, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This book had potential, but to me it fell flat. It's a cute premise that isn't that well executed; narrator Claire sets out to write a book about what happens in women's bathrooms, but the passages of Claire's writing are so tired and cliche. Worse, excepting Claire, most of the female characters are totally repellent: they all spend so much energy cutting each other down. I feel like I should put a sticker on the book that says "NOT ALL WOMEN BEHAVE LIKE THIS!!" I just couldn't relate, I guess ...more
Ashley Hilderson
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
I was debating with myself on whether to give this book 2 or 3 stars. It was a good easy read, funny at times, however didn't really keep my interest too much.
Isabel
Jul 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's an entertaining book and a light read. Good for the lounging days. Though I was disappointed with the quick ending.
Marina Caner
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Thought that the idea was good... but the reality is that the book is soooo plain! The whole story is boring, it didn't catch me a bit.
Anya
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awal buku bercerita tentang Claire, desperate widow seorang pengacara perceraian kondang yang pulang kampung gara-gara bercerai setelah ia menemukan sebuah email untuk perempuan lain yang dikirimi oleh suaminya, Charles. Jadi saking desperatenya, ia mengikuti club diving bersama para janda-janda dan berakhir dengan gagal karena ia terkena sinus di suatu pagi. Saat teman-temannya sibuk diving, ia berada di bar sambil menahan pendarahan dari hidungnya. Tak berapa lama, tiba-tiba pendarahannya para ...more
Emilie
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
I have no idea how this book ended up on my Nook. Okay, I mean, I know physically how it ended up there (I checked it out from the library, downloaded it to my computer, and transferred it to my computer)...but I don't know why I chose the book...probably because it is set in Austin, and seeing as how I loved living there once upon a time, I wanted to relive those times.
Well, I've read worse books. This was certainly a quick read. The main character wasn't totally reprehensible, although the su
Farah
Jan 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini bercerita tentang Claire St. John, janda cerai berusia 34 tahun yang pindah dari New York ke Austin, Texas. Infeksi sinus gila-gilaan membuatnya tidak bisa ikut menyelam di acara Newly Divorced Scuba Diving Group yang diikutinya di Mexico. Thanks to si hidung yang berdarah sedemikian hebatnya, Claire yang saat itu jobless kemudian mendapatkan ide untuk menulis buku self helpnya tentang apa yang sebenarnya terjadi di toilet wanita.
Jadi sebenernya ini semi self-help.

Membaca buku ini kadan
Andrea
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-chick-lit
I fluctuated between giving this book 2 or 3 stars. It was entertaining. There were parts that even made me laugh out loud.

But....BUT....

It didn't have any sort of substance. You may say, we'll who needs substance in chicklit? I guess I need a bit more than every woman in her 30s is simply pining away and looking for a man. Here we have the main character who after a messy divorce has dubbed the year the "year of Clair" but spends the year thinking only about men...or the man...or the potential
Daniela
Jan 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Well… Hugh Jackman did his job and I only read this because he said he liked it. "A great read and a great laugh" (really Hugh??)

The truth is another. This book is written with every existing stereotype about women and how we all desire a prince charming like it's our one and only goal in life. Our two best friends are ice cream and an overly dramatic, fashion guru gay friend. Claire's passages for the book are so cliché and it seems like she is trying to hard to be funny and relatable and, to m
Tara
Apr 20, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: chick lit fans
Another beach read. Hmmmm. I seem to be in a rut. This ended up in my book pile because of its connection Austin. I just have a thing for reading about places that I know. The book, however, is definitely not one of my favorites. It contains a lot of book-within-a-book (the main character is an author) that tries too hard to be witty and just kind of.....bleh. I skipped large portions in an attempt to just get done. It is funny and it does have fun bits about Austin but there are so many other l ...more
Krystal
Sep 18, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
This was an often times amusing book...I liked it well enough I suppose. It wasn't until the end though, in the bonus section, "potty talk" where the author described the various habits and talk of different places round the globe, that I laughed out loud. Its for the bonus section that I added another star.
On a side note, it had an excerpt from her upcoming book, or maybe its already been published? Something along the lines of "Killing Carter". Those pages made it sound like an appealing book
Wendy
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Ever so slightly entertaining. Premise was good, but I felt like the author tried to include all the politically correct elements rather than just telling the story. (Ie: bash on Republicans, even if it makes no logical sense in the sentence. And, by all means, don't limit this bashing to just once.) Keep it light, keep it fun! Oh, and I totally didn't get the "meet his family" part. Took Jake in a completely different direction than the one she (the author) had cultivated.
Child960801
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is not the kind of book I usually read. My two year old picked it up at the library and told me to get it because the cover was pink. I didn't really connect with the main character at first, because I'm not a childless, recently divorced 34 year old lawyer turned writer from Texas. However, a couple of chapters in the hilarious promised on the back of the book showed up and I really enjoyed it.
Lea
Dec 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
2.5 stars. This story idea had potential but the main character was off putting, she had the potential too. I could barely read the bathroom portions of the book. If you don't like reading about blood and bathroom business, don't read this. The ending was a little too neat and tidy for the rest of the book.
Plus the whole Texas A&M and TU portion of the book - you went to TU but you don't know what Aggies call it TU? That irritated me.
Robyn
Mar 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was a good quick read. I started on Friday night and finished it Sunday morning. I don't typically like fiction, but this book is cute and doesn't take any brain power. The main character lives in Austin, so if you are from Austin - it is fun to hear her talk about all the places she goes. All and all, very enjoyable. Must Read!
Fay
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book, but it fell flat. It wasn't much of a guide since it pinpointed every stereotypical conversation a girl may have so men would already know everything. All girls would have some of the conversations brought up in the book, but the book on a whole only is pertinent to the girly girls. I would recommend it to them as it could then be an amusing read.
Corey
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010, kindle
A very quick, easy read that's perfect for summer. I enjoyed the story-within-a-story along with the main fictional story. If there were half star options this would get a 3.5 rating as I liked it but didn't 4 star like it. For me there's way too many gaps in the story and open ended things that aren't addressed.
Sari
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bathroom/powder room sure is one of an important thing in women's life! :) When i was a teenager i thought i'm the only one who feel that it's a weird thing to go to the bathroom with a gang of girls :p
This book elaborate facts why Women always go to the bathroom grouping :D
Worth reading in ur break time! :))
Courtney
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a friend who lives in Austin, TX. My friend said she was a local author. I read the first couple of chapters and was hooked. Men's Guide.. is funny and entertaining. It's a light and fun read. I especially like how Hugh Jackman endorses the novel - on the front cover. ha!
Linda
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Austinites who want a chick lit/beach read
Shelves: chick-lit
What I like about the book?

All the references to Austin spots and light as a feather.

I kept a list of all Austin mentions in my reading journal.

Polvos
Chez Zee

Michelle
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crap
It was escapist literature. I have to say, the plot itself was OK... the characters stereotypical, and the "guide" the protagonist writes is almost insultingly stereotypical. Some truths, but in general too sensationalized to really resonate with me as something all women could relate too. But like I said, escapist, entertaining enough.

Andréia (StarBooks BR)
Achei o livro fofo, é um chick-lit, bem leve. Serve como guia para os homens que sempre quiseram saber o que tanto as mulheres fazem no banheiro feminino, mas acima de tudo é um romance. É um livro leve, não acrescenta muita coisa culturalmente falando.
Alvi Harahap
What the bathroom means for gals? It just does not have ordinary bathroom meaning...but it is a very special 'holy' place for gals to open and share the deepest secret about ourselves and, of course, guys :)
Lindsey
Jan 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Easy read...really wanted to rate 3.5. I live in Austin, so I could relate to the characters and setting pretty easily. If you're looking for a quick read to entertain you by the pool over the summer, this may be the book for you!
Selenita
Oct 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Didn't get it. Read only a few pages, nothing grabbed my attention. I'm not immortal and I can't read boring trash, so - goodbye, Jo Barrett, you lost your chance. (And if I were immortal, I still wouldn't read it).
aimee
Aug 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
My favorite thing about this book (besides the sage advice given in the womens' bathrooms) was knowing all the places around Austin (past and present) in the book. Part of it was a trip down memory lane.
jb Byrkit
Dec 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
This was a good book....not the deep thought provoking literature stuff, but still a nice happy read. I felt the ending to be quite quick. Everything seems to "wrap up" in the last few pages quite quickly in my opinion....with a nice happy ending. Overall I found it cute and funny.
  • I Take This Man
  • Girl from Mars
  • Pick Me Up
  • Accidentally Engaged
  • Confessions of an Air Hostess
  • Just Say Yes
  • Mounting Desire
  • The One That Got Away (Hen Night Prophecies #1)
  • Five Things I Can't Live Without
  • Hysterical Blondeness
  • Animal Instincts
  • Rencana Besar
  • Hide Your Eyes
Jo currently resides in North Carolina with her patient and supportive family while she juggles her writing career and her position as a programmer analyst. She has won numerous awards and continues to write whenever she can. Someday, she hopes to take off her programming hat and write full time. So many of her dreams have already come true. What's one more?
Email: jobarrett@jobarrett.net