Start by marking “Living and Dying on the Internet” as Want to Read:
Living and Dying on the Internet

Living and Dying on the Internet

'Sorry, ' she said, 'it's just I've never met anyone famous before.'
'Sorry, ' I replied, 'you still haven't.'

In 2008, the media reported that Alex Day was the first person in the UK to make money from YouTube videos. He was described as 'a YouTube star'. But he didn't feel like one.

Alex watched as his channel grew, leading him to a YouTube party in Sydney, a video convent
Published August 5th 2018 by Alex Day

To ask other readers questions about Living and Dying on the Internet, please sign up.
Chris Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only accusation that involved sexual assault was posted anonymously by a now-abandoned Tumblr account. Neither Alex,…moreCorrect me if I'm wrong, but the only accusation that involved sexual assault was posted anonymously by a now-abandoned Tumblr account. Neither Alex, nor anyone else involved seems to have any idea who the author actually is, or when/where the incidents described within might've occurred. This leads many to believe that it is not credible.

None of the other diatribes linked in any 'master posts' allege sexual assault - most posts linked describe awkward and undue flirting, and general bad relationship conduct on Alex' part (all of which he's admitted), but nothing that is illegal, or could be reasonably be described as 'sexual assault'.

It would appear that you've decided that everything Alex says is 100% false, and everything said in the 2014 Tumblr-crusade against him is 100% true. Others tend to look at these kinds of issues with a little more consideration and maturity, which is why we've not taken the same 'Judge, Jury, and Executioner' approach that you have :)

Hope that answers your query!(less)

Kristina Horner
Jul 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm going to preface this by saying I have indeed read the book. Many people are assuming I am writing a negative review having not read it. I slogged through it.

I'm deleting most of my review because it's causing more harm than good, which is exactly what I feared in this coming out at all. I don't want to talk about Alex. I don't need more people tearing me down because they are Alex fans and don't truly understand what happened. I'm irritated he put me in his book without giving me a heads u
Iulia
I've been thinking about how to rate this book and ultimately decided not to. If I were to judge the writing and style overall it would probably be somewhere around 3, 3 and a half stars.

A long time ago, the author was known as Nerimon on YouTube. He was a fairly popular creator, and one of the few stars on the site at the time. I followed him for a while, back when he was doing his Alex Reads Twilight series, which I loved. Then I pretty much forgot about him until last year, when a pang of nos
BooksAndRae
Jul 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
I have never and will never read this book because Alex Day is a manipulative pile of trash that feeds off others suffering and plays the victim in the crimes and actions he has committed.

I’d advise you to not buy this book and give him any attention or money that he doesn’t deserve.

He’s called his actions ‘mistakes’, and instead of owning up to his crimes, instead of simply apologising, he uses this to make a book blaming the internet for shining him in a bad light.

I would rate this a 0 if I
Sarah Skazala
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alex deserves to tell his side of the story, and this book is it.
Ina Cawl
Aug 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
what i can say except you are piece of shit who sees women as meat and don't deserve my understanding or compassion
i feel sorry for myself to even read this and wasted three hours reading it
Chrissy
Jul 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
I have never before written a review for a book I haven’t read but I felt strongly in this. This man abused a number of women, continues to disregard their wishes, even in writing this.

The premise could be interesting but I strongly oppose an abuser making money. I would hope the place he would pick to tell his story is in a mental health professionals office or in a rehabilitation group for his pattern of emotionally, physically and sexually abusing women. Not in a book intended for profit. No
Ellen May
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have been nervous to write a review for this book because the Internet is a pretty scary place (as the book itself discusses). I felt nervous that writing a review would immediately give the impression that I condone abuse of any kind, or am disbelieving/discrediting or even blaming victims of abuse. This, of course, isn’t true and I hope that my review gives a fair impression of my thoughts.

As an avid YouTube viewer (in general, not necessarily of Alex Day) and someone who watches many of the
Renée
Jul 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Alex Day sexually exploited his young fans and continues to portray himself as the victim. I will be unfriending/unfollowing anyone who spends money on this trash.
T
Jul 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book has been leaked in some circles - and honestly, it’s exactly what everyone feared. Manipulative and beyond narcissistic. It basically confirms the characteristics of an abuser that everyone has highlighted. Read it if you want that confirmation, but be warned, it’s frustrating as hell and actually terribly written (unsurprisingly!)
Pangloss
Jul 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
How you can be such a dickhead to think that it's a good idea to write about how you're the victim of all the harm YOU caused is beyond me.
Liz
Jul 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Do not let an abuser profit from the stories of his abuse. In fact, I challenge Alex to send every cent he earns from this to a charity that supports women who face domestic abuse. Here's a list: https://greatist.com/happiness/stop-d... if he's not sure which one to choose.

I have personally seen the hurt Alex has done, and someone who is sorry for his actions does not try to capitalize on them. It's tempting for everyone to want to get the last word, however that does not show maturity, growth,
Paige Chalmers
Jul 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
You don't deserve a side or to write about all of the pain you have caused and then to profit of it.
Sal
Jul 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Everything about this book is horrific and there are many reasons why no publisher would touch it. The abuser who wrote the book paints himself as a victim because his career went down the drain when his fans found out that he had been abusing multiple women, several of whom were young (in some cases underage) fans he used his position of influence to take advantage of. The author is scum and is now trying to profit off the stories of the young women whose lives he damaged irreperably. No one sh ...more
Nitya
STOP GIVING ABUSERS SECOND CHANCES
Mollie
Jul 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Wishing I could give zero stars. How are you going to write a book about how you’re the victim after you manipulated women for years and were called out for it? Shame on the companies helping Alex tell “his story” and help him profit off the pain and suffering he causes other people.
Sam
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Regardless of what you think of Alex it seems unfair to rate his book a 1 star. The book isn't out yet and from what i've seen on his Youtube channel the book seems interesting. There are a lot of people who say he doesn't deserve this and that he is manipulative etc, but it seems to me that those individuals are being quite closed minded and not willing to give someone a second chance.

Be the better person. If you've got nothing nice or constructive to say there really is no need to say it. Why
Savannah Lorenc
Jul 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Do not buy this book by this trash human. Do not give him attention. Do not let him think the world cares about him anymore. He is an abuser and he should not get to have a platform.
Erin Schloeffel
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I obviously haven't read this yet, but I think it's pretty pathetic how people are reviewing this one star considering none of them know Alex Day in person and therefore don't have first hand experiences of any of the accusations. I've followed Alex since pretty much the beginning and believe his work deserves to be read objectively. I'll re-rate it when I've actually read it.
Christopher Hogg
Aug 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Alex Day's mission statement for this book was that it was going to be the story of his own experiences but more generally a sort of memoir of the internet as a whole and the corner of it that he inhabited for his many years on Youtube. These kind of quasi-memoirs have worked well in the past, I particularly enjoyed recently reading journalist Scott Stossel's work My Age of Anxiety where he blended his own experiences of crippling anxiety through his life with scientific theories about the cause ...more
Grace Blaise
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm not a fan of Alex, in part because of the allegations against him, but I still was intrigued by this book and gave it an objective read.

There's no doubt that Alex can actually write - this, especially in comparison to most other YouTubers' books, is well written and engaging. It seems thoughtful at first as well - the parts about his childhood, growing up, how he got into YouTube and the rise of YouTube and the internet are genuinely very interesting, as are the backstories to a lot of his s
Lacie P.
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book paints a poignant and well rounded picture of the growth of YouTube as well as the growth and fall of Alex. I started and finished this book in one day it was so entrancing. This book is well written, interesting, humourous with a great voice. As I read I felt as though I was Alex's friend and he was telling me his life story just because I asked. This book made me tear up, laugh, and reminisce about the simpler times of Youtube. Alex has a gifted way with writing, he fleshes the world ...more
Krystal Y. Rivera
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alex Day is human.

Like all of us (I'm assuming).

His crime is having been a completely insensitive, manipulative piece of crap whilst wielding power gained through his online presence. In the book, Alex claims ignorance, his mother's unintentional influence, self-centeredness, and a complete lack of regard for consequences as would be reasons for his hurtful past behavior.

He explores his online past- showing the reader a unique look at what early YouTube was like for the early YouTuber, as well a
Mel
Aug 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
An Alex Day Review
I wasn’t entire sure I was definitely going to read Alex Days new book when I heard about it. I am a big fan of anything wordy, I litter my life with books and I will read just about anything. But I, like many others, have history with Alex Day. I was once a Nerimon fan, back in the day when his Walmart video went viral for some unknown reason.

The main reason I didn’t want to read this book is because I wasn’t sure it was right. He was after all, writing about people who would
Helena Golding
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The internet + nostalgia + insights

Having watched Alex’s online life, almost from the beginning, it was incredibly interesting to hear his thoughts and experiences from this time. His writing style
is much like his video style - down to earth, funny and insightful.

I really appreciate Alex opening up this sometimes painful time in his life to unpack his actions and encourage others to avoid his mistakes.

I read this in a day as I found the nostalgia and intimacy of the story addictive. So thank y
Yin
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
With negativity will always come a balance. Anger continues a war and doesn't solve it. This book is a biography - not a symbol of anything. Just the rise and fall of an internet "star". Not a bad read, hold some interesting points on how Youtube itself rose to popularity and what it took to become one of the platform's A-listers.
Whitepointstar
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was never planning to read this book or purchase a copy, but after seeing all these negative reviewers about Alex, rating him down without giving him the chance to speak. I'm going to buy multiple copies, I believe in a world with Free Speech and Innocent until Proven Guilty. I support this.
Lucas Puskaric
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I wrote this review when I was 40% done with the book, but have since finished. I don't have much more to add past what I said, so I figured I'd leave this disclaimer up.

I'm writing this to offset the people who have clearly not read any percentage of the book. I will edit the review later once I am completely done reading. EDIT: I finished now, as mentioned above.

Alex Day manages to weave a tale of intrigue that somehow is even more interesting than his online persona. As he
Jack Dearnley
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the only book I have ever read cover to cover in a day without getting bored, distracted or falling asleep, which is a huge testament to how engaging it is as I have the attention span of a goldfish with ADHD (or more accurately, a human with ADHD).
Thoughtful, funny, emotional and everything in between, what this book is not is "Alex Day: The Apology" or "Alex Day: Please Like Me Again Tumblr". Rather, it is the story of the internet as told from the perspective of some bloke with a came
Kellie
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was very interesting to me, mainly because I'm 27 and saw much of the events he wrote about in this book unfold from the very beginning. I watched most of Alex day's content since the Nerimon days.

I never liked Alex Day, mind you. I thought he was clever, but not remarkably talented. He always seemed kind of childish and egotistical. I wasn't particularly surprised to hear that he was a chronic cheater and manipulator.

However, I believe this book is important. Alex Day is a human bei
May
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a nice book to understand how this community we call "Youtubers" was born. Since Alex Day is someone who has been a part of youtube from the beginning. I just received the book but I can tell it is very well planned, the language is understandable, simple yet polished. I also would like to say I'm not interested in what he has done in the past since I know he is doing his best to improve himself and I enjoy his content. But for people who just hates him, I still would highly encourage pe ...more
  • Tim Walker: Story Teller
  • Dear Stranger: Letters on the Subject of Happiness
  • Brian Froud's Faeries' Tales
  • The Joy of Yoga: Fifty Sequences for Your Home and Studio Practice
  • Life Zone
  • The Only Wiccan Spell Book You'll Ever Need: For Love, Happiness, and Prosperity
  • Paganism: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Daria Database
  • Wormwood Star: The Magickal Life of Marjorie Cameron (Revised Edition)
  • The Problem with Black Magic (The Familiar Series, #1)
  • Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll: The Science of Hedonism and the Hedonism of Science
  • Druids: A Very Short Introduction
  • Stoned
  • The Daria Diaries
  • Playing The Game
  • Satanic Panic: Pop-Cultural Paranoia in the 1980s
  • Moon Magic (Pagan Portals)
  • Things Get Better
Alex Day is a twenty-nine year old student of the Open University, currently studying French and Chinese. He has written and released five albums and two books, including his memoir Living and Dying on the Internet which documents his life as a YouTube personality. Since he believes in the concept of interbeing — which suggests all things exist as one without the dualistic separation of self — he ...more