Start by marking “Hollow Dolls” as Want to Read:
Hollow Dolls

Hollow Dolls

How can you keep secrets, when someone’s in your mind?

Simone is a mind reader. She knows a great many things about everyone she meets, but she can’t seem to remember anything about her past or where she came from. After finally being free for the first time in a long time, she sets off, determined to find her home.

When she stumbles across a man with two minds inside him –
ebook
Published 2020 by Sourcebooks Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hollow Dolls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hollow Dolls

Start your review of Hollow Dolls
Christi M
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
A new middle grade series featuring two children with specialized magical talents, who go to The Archives in the main city to try to find out more about the town where one of them might have come from. All while having to confront a new enemy.

Thoughts:
When I ran across this first book in a new series, I was drawn in by the description, which sounds a bit creepy and spooky – one of my favorite subgenres within middle grade. It features two main characters – Simone, a mind reader, and Sebastian, a
Laurie
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What would you do if you could read people's minds, but you can't remember things from your own mind? Simone is finally free from Lady Aisling's twisted control but she is lost because she can't remember anything about her past except the name of a nonexistent town. Since she is all alone, she is living with her best friend, Sebastian, and his sister. Sebastian and his sister, Jemma, want to help Simone find her family so they decide to go to The Parillan Acrhives so search the records. On the ...more
Heidi
Hollow Dolls returns to the world of Connolly's Shadow Weaver Duology. This time telling the story from the perspective of Simone. Simone is one of the comet-blessed, one with a magical power. Her power is mind reading, which made her of great value to the evil Lady Aisling. But now the Lady has been defeated, deprived of her powers, and imprisoned. Simone and the others that the Lady used in her evil work are now free to return home. But all Simone knows of her previous life is the name of her ...more
Ms. Yingling
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

I was hoping for something more like Frozen Charlotte or Dead Girls Don't Die or The Colletor. This was more fantasy than creepy horror. Interesting, but I was looking for something different.
Carina Olsen
Reading books by MarcyKate is always all kinds of fun. Hollow Dolls was no different. It was a stunning story. This book was a three star for me. Adorable, but not perfect. Which makes me a little sad. But I still enjoyed it so very much. And I cannot wait to read even more books by MarcyKate. I truly love all her worlds.

This one is somewhat a sequel to the Shadow Weaver duology. It tells the story of Simone, a girl that we got to know then. And so this story is from a different point of view.
Em Jay
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was so excited to get my hands on another MarcyKate Connolly book!! She's one of my favourite MG authors writing today, and I'm thrilled readers have a chance to return to the Cometlands. However, big disclaimer, I do not think HOLLOW DOLLS holds up well as a standalone series. There are so many references to the SHADOW WEAVER books, I can imagine new readers might get overwhelmed very quickly. So, if you aren't familiar with this world, I would highly recommend reading the SHADOW WEAVER ...more
Laurie
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: 5-8; Reading Level: 6.6

Kohana
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hollow Dolls is about this girl named Simone who has mind reading capabilities and used to be enslaved to another magical human named Lady Aisling. She was finally freed and realized she couldn’t find her family. She began to live with her best friend, Lucas, who also had powers and was enslaved with her. She lived with him and his sister. The basic story line is that Simone tries to find her long lost family. This book makes a little more sense if you have read the books Shadow Weaver and Comet ...more
Story Eater
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-2020
There is a simplicity to the complexity of this narrative that is perfect for Middle Grade readers. It is short, to the point, and not overly “adult” as many other MG reads have become nowadays.

As a companion novel to the Shadow Weaver duology, Hollow Dolls does not require a reader to read the companion novels first (though HD does give away one or two spoilers) in order to enjoy it as its own story. A precursory reading of the Shadow Weaver duology would certainly provide more enlightenment,
Wendi Lee
Simone and Sebastian were prisoners of Lady Aisling for untold years, until finally they (and their other magically inclined friends) are released. Sebastian has a sister, now grown up, but Simone can't find anything about her family, much less her hometown, which no one has ever heard of before. The librarians investigating Lady Aisling are less than willing to help Simone find her home, so she, Sebastian, and Jemma decide to strike out on their own.

This is a companion book to Connolly's much
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I won the ARC.

Hollow Dolls is about Simone, a mind reader that has been freed. She is a side character in the Shadow Weaver duology and these two books have to be read before this one because this book starts after the duology ends.

I haven't read the duology before this book. Anyway the second book wasn't published yet when I read this book. It makes some of the story a bit harder to follow at first. I was also wondering if most of the explanations for worldbuilding was found in the first book
Alma
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Every twenty-five years the Cerelia Comet creates talented people, with gifts like mind reading, creating illusions, taking over bodies, and others. Many years ago the evil Lady Aisling captured almost all gifted people, both children and adults, keeping them captive to do her bidding. Read the rest of the review on my blog: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress....
CR
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first sentence hooked me into the story. This story was very creepy!! I felt like I was pulled into the writers world, from the way she describes things that are happening. The story had a great flow and I loved the POV we got. This one I think would be great for kids my age (I am 9) because it was easy to read and I didn't have any issues with words or anything. I hope to get the the book set in this world soon!

Go Into This One Knowing: Love Creepy Reads?
Engel Dreizehn
ARC Copy...it was interesting and satisfying to see probably one of the most victimized members of the lady's "garden" get her limelight and story especially if you are aware just how tragic her very being is. I did like narrative asked-follow the notion...ok the great evil is seemingly gone so how does one pick up the pieces after?
MayorEmma
Earc from netgalley.

Before reading this book, reading the author's shadow weaver books is something you need to do, because this book mentions a lot of things from those books. I was expecting something different from the title and cover, such as more of a ''creepy' story, this was just a little weird.
Brandy
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy of this book through my group #bookjaunt.

What an intriguing read! Those who enjoyed Shadow Weaver are going to love Hollow Dolls which takes place in the same fantasy world. Simone and Sebastian are characters you will love. I am not a big lover of fantasy but this book was so good I couldn't put it down! Can't wait for the next one!
Tanya
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always Marcy Kate Connolly has created a magical world with her words. Hollow Dolls was as enjoyable to read as her first two books Monstrous and Ravenous. This book broke my reading slump that has been going on for the last few years. I look forward to reading this book again and again.
Juliana B.
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was good. It had a fast pace, good characters, and interesting world-building. My only issue was that the main twist was somewhat predictable but, overall I liked it. Fans of fantasy and adventures would like this book.
Suzie Townsend
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Such a fantastic fantasy novel.
Amber
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked it! I have not read the previous books in the shadow weaver series and I think that would have helped me to understand the world better.
Charlotte
Feb 04, 2020
Laura Gardner
Oct 15, 2019

• Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide
  • Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
  • Bring Me Back
  • Ali Cross
  • This Does Not Leave This House
  • Dear Summer
  • And Then You Loved Me
  • Trinity
  • Mirror Me
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • The Ocean Liner
  • The Secrets of Lost Stones
  • The Priory of the Orange Tree
  • My Jasper June
  • Home Girl
  • Jinxed (Jinxed, #1)
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
I’m an author and nonprofit administrator living in New England with my husband and pugs. I’m also a coffee addict, voracious reader, and recurring commuter. Represented by Suzie Townsend of New Leaf Literary.