Start by marking “The Alcohol Experiment: A 30-Day, Alcohol-Free Challenge to Interrupt Your Habits and Help You Take Control” as Want to Read:

Now complete with daily prompts to reflect on each day of a month-long, alcohol-free plan, the author of This Naked Mind helps readers challenge their thinking, find clarity, and form new habits.

Changing your habits can be hard without the right tools. This is especially true for alcohol because habits are, by definition, subconscious thought processes.
Published December 31st 2018 by Avery Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Alcohol Experiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alcohol Experiment

Start your review of The Alcohol Experiment: A 30-Day, Alcohol-Free Challenge to Interrupt Your Habits and Help You Take Control
Gerhard
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2019
Interesting take on a self-help book in that it demands a daily commitment from the reader/participant. Ultimately as much a guide to mindfulness/self-awareness as it is a systematic deconstruction of bad habits and mental ruts. I loved the grace notes in the ending, which is totally open about the future post the 30-day period. The fact that any number is arbitrary is perhaps the greatest realisation here.
Leslie
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m very glad I discovered this book to prop me up for “Dry January.” The basic premise is learning how our subconscious minds are calling the shots (no pun intended), and presenting exercises to become more mindful about drinking. I thought a few of her takes on the subject were a little exaggerated as a scare tactic, and some I just did not agree with (nobody really likes the taste?! She must not have ever tried a really good Bourbon ;0). Nevertheless, it was a very good, introspective, and ph ...more
Emily
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I started out reading this out loud to an addicted loved one. That fizzled at about the 3 week point, and there was a long break before I took this up again, mainly because I can’t stand not to finish a book if I’ve gotten past a certain point.
I’ve been reading on this topic for a long time, and I appreciate fresh approaches and ideas. I don’t think AA is one-size-fits-all any more than I think any approach is. It works for some people and not for others. I think Annie Grace’s 30-day experiment
Martha
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-books
Wow! Annie Grace, you may have saved my life! What a great book!

The other day, my doctor told me to stop drinking all together because of my issues with low stomach acid. Low stomach acid is pretty common for adults over the age of 60. And, my wine drinking was not helping matters. I would classify myself as a moderate drinker, so quitting was a bit tough for me the first 3 or 4 days. Then, it got easier. And, after reading this eye-opening book explaining the addiction and poisons of alcohol an
Nicole
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finished the book today and followed the challenge 100%!!!! Very proud of myself and learned so much about myself and my relationship with alcohol! I highly recommend this to anyone questioning their reliance or relationship with alcohol. Empowering
Heather
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of good information here if you’re looking to reframe your relationship with alcohol, or if you don’t know how someone “just can’t stop at one”.

I read it in two sittings, but it’s meant to be a day by day support for a 30 day experiment. I’m 56 days AF (Alcohol Free) and this definitely helped support the decision I’ve made for myself.
beentsy
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This was excellent and not just from a looking at alcohol in your life standpoint. This was excellent because it gave practical, down to earth, easy to engage with ways to have better critical thinking skills in your life. I know that I will use those for the rest of my life. I find myself asking questions (mostly internally but some outside too) about things that I am hearing or thinking or believing.

I will be putting the ideas from this book into use in so many ways. Cannot recommend this boo
Patrick
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have often thought about the health effects of drinking alcohol and often thought about giving up. I recently did 'Dry July' and read this book at the same time. I found the month incredibly easy. The book teaches you not to say you are giving up for good but "I will have a drink when I feel like it." Invariably people don't start up again. An excellent book. Easy to follow and not too much heavy research.
Turquoise Brennan
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A book that definitely changed my thinking. No matter what you are doing with alcohol on your life ...read this one
Deola
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I never finished this book but by day 7, I was compelled enough to stop drinking.
Rae
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Probably when I was teaching, and definitely when I was a public librarian, the clear answer to a difficult day was a glass (or three) of wine. There are memes about both of these professions needing alcohol to survive. So why then, in a new job, in a new city, with less stress and way less dealing with the general public, was I still feeling like I needed wine every day to relax? Or to have fun?

This book is an excellent entry into reconsidering your relationship with alcohol. The 30 days flew
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have just completed 30 days of being alcohol free...and believe me, to have done this in the middle of summer is no small feat for me! I feel so great...physically, mentally, emotionally...that I am going to continue. I felt like I was overdoing it and wanted to give it a try so I picked up this book by Annie Grace ("The Alcohol Experiment") to guide me through 30 days of being alcohol free. Without pressure or prolonged expectations, Annie Grace shares insight into the workings of the subcons ...more
Stacey Clark
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes, it took me longer than 30 days to complete this book. Yes, I drank alcohol a few times during this two months as well. But, reading this book and participating in the daily reflections and experiments have changed the way I feel about having alcohol in my life. I no longer feel that I need alcohol, nor do I really want it. Will I drink again? Maybe. If and when o make that decision, it will be with a wholly conscious mind, and I will be in control. This book has given me so much insight, ha ...more
Sara
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-health
I appreciate that this book exists and helps so many people. The idea is to intentionally consider your relationship to alcohol during a 30-day break from drinking. The author focuses most of her attention on scientific research related to alcohol and loves to cite statistics about various things. I found a lot of it boring and was certainly not compelled, as many of her readers are, to swear off booze forever. Even so, it's good to take a break from alcohol (or any addictive substance) every on ...more
Arielle
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I saw this title while browsing my library’s eBook catalog. I had already decided to eat vegan (instead of vegetarian) during the month of January as well as abstain from alcohol for the month in order to jumpstart some healthy habits. I read this book to see if there were any good tips and motivating facts to give up beer and bourbon for 30 days. There were! Ultimately this book is for those who drink way more than I do but it was definitely an informative read and I think some of the self-help ...more
Tessa
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so helpful. Started it for the informational part and just to see what it was all about, ended up deciding to take the 30 day alcohol free challenge that same day. I am 7 days in and feeling great. Very excited about this challenge and what I might find out about myself. I’m excited to try this at the next outing or event with friends and see how I feel socializing without that liquid courage and get out of my comfort zone. I will not commit to never drinking again (as explained in ...more
Cassandra
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I finished the book and was 100% alcohol free during the 30 days. I really liked the new perspective on things and Annie is right, once you know these things you can’t unlearn them. I liked the short chapters and the exercises. Do I think I will remain completely AF? No. But I have a different outlook in a lot of ways.

The only thing I would say that is negative is that losing weight and fear of fat are mentioned quite a number of times in the book, which could be triggering to body image and ea
Lauren Jemeyson
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ian Hobby
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few books regarding controlling alcohol intake and this one really struck me as a great down to earth nuts and bolts approach for those who have tried and lost the sheer willpower approach. I like that the author is not promising any unrealistic results and clearly states some damn good facts as to some very probable causes of alcohol abuse and lets the reader work out their own approach to changing drinking habits. Well written I feel and I liked the author's upbeat tone making it ...more
Justin Warembourg
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I tried out Dry January this year after reading about it in Men's Health Magazine. I'm happy to say I haven't had any alcohol this month. I was communicating with some users on the Loosid app. They recommended this book as a companion read during Dry January or another 30-day abstinence. This book provided me with tools and coping skills to help with avoiding alcohol. I've given up beer for Lent a few years, but I found it to be pretty difficult. Now I'm thinking that I'll just stay alcohol-free ...more
Val
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I categorically dislike self-help books. However, I really enjoyed this! It was written in a way that kept me reading, it had enough science to overcome the schmaltzy "you can do it!" bits. I'm not planning to give up alcohol, but this book can relate to any habit, really. It made me take a deeper look at some of my own habits, both alcohol-related and non-alcohol-related, and consider ways to make positive changes. I was surprised at how it kept me interested and thoughtful.
Ashley McCormmach
Wonderful and VERY insightful!!!

This book took me by complete surprise! I picked it up for what I thought would be a quick and easy 30-day health challenge, but I found it to be so much more! I learned so much, and I adored the narrative. Fact based and encouraging, not at all preachy or judgmental. The author lovingly guides you through a very insightful and unexpected journey of self awareness, conscious boundaries, and inner growth.
Erin Keating
I enjoyed this book and the exercise of writing down my feelings about alcohol but admittedly this book is really for a daily drinker who may consider they have a problem. I'm more in the camp of social drinkers who maybe need to think about their bingeing habits rather than eliminating alcohol daily since that's not my jam. Still it never hurts to evaluate your feelings and connection with any substance or otherwise potentially destructive habit.
Chelsea Tuthill
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This was an interesting way to keep on track with a goal. The daily reading shed a lot of insight to the mechanics of your body when you stop imbibing. It was not very scientifically based and the footnotes are lacking. A lot of it is repetitive. I’m glad I read it and think it’s a good tool if you’re looking to do 30 days free. I just question a lot of the methods and research she did.
Megan
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I stumbled upon this book at the library in the middle of an alcohol free month. While there was some interesting information in the book, I found it to be pretty condescending and judgy. It also repeated a ton of info over the course of the book and with the exception of two chapters showed a lack of compassion for readers. Also there were a lot of anecdotes about studies that were light on information and not cited.
Nicola Neil
Some useful content but the references to scientific studies are generally vague, most chapters start with a quote attributed to Anonymous (one chapter has an Aristotle quote that I have only been able to source on blogs), the book is very repetitive and the structure doesn't really make sense. I'll still be doing 30 days alcohol-free but I don't need this book to do it. It appears that the content is available for free elsewhere so I returned it to Audible.
Samantha Smith
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very eye opening book. After reading what alcohol does to your body I decided to do the experiment. And I must say it has not been as difficult as I expected. Once you understand the game your brain is playing with you and how to overcome it, giving up alcohol, at least for a bit, isn't so difficult. This was a real eye opener for me and I hope others get out of it what I did. Oh, did I mention the benefits like more energy and clearer thinking! It is definitely worth the read!
Heather Balog
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A bit repetitive at times, but definitely painted alcohol in a new light. I read another book on quoting alcohol a few weeks ago and it was preachy, judgy and just plain uninformative. This book was much better and I think it’s a must read for anyone considering their relationship with alcohol. Very matter of fact and straightforward. Annie did not judge and she is supportive of those going through this journey. Also Annie’s podcast is great and she presents a lot of this info in her podcast.
Kati
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for anyone wanting to explore their relationship with alcohol. Each chapter focuses is on one day of your experiment and it’s amazing how relevant each chapter and activity are. On the day you’re thinking about “Oh no the whole office is going out for drinks on Friday. How can I stay alcohol free this week for the challenge??” - that’s what the chapter is about! Tons of great tips and strategies to live your best life.
Scott Bamsey
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made my 30 days without alcohol easy.
Didn’t feel like drinking afterwards and when I eventually did it made me realise how awful alcohol makes me feel.

Completely changed my attitude towards drinking and has no doubt changed my life for the good. Even if I don’t completely give up alcohol it has changed my attitude towards drinking and that is a good think.

Urge anyone who thinks they could do with a break from drinking to give it a go
« previous 1 3 next »

• We Are the Luckiest: The Surprising Magic of a Sober Life
  • Alcohol Explained
  • The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober
  • Quit Like a Woman: The Radical Choice to Not Drink in a Culture Obsessed with Alcohol
  • Sober Curious: The Blissful Sleep, Greater Focus, Limitless Presence, and Deep Connection Awaiting Us All on the Other Side of Alcohol
  • Alcohol Lied to Me: The Intelligent Way to Escape Alcohol Addiction
  • The Sober Diaries: How one woman stopped drinking and started living
  • Girl Walks Out of a Bar: A Memoir
  • The 28 Day Alcohol-Free Challenge: Sleep Better, Lose Weight, Boost Energy, Beat Anxiety
  • Mrs D is Going Without: I used to be a boozy housewife. Now I'm not. This is my book.
  • Kick the Drink....Easily!
  • Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol
  • Drink: The Intimate Relationship between Women and Alcohol
  • Unwasted: My Lush Sobriety
  • Fresh India: 130 Quick, Easy and Delicious Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day
  • Highlight Real: Finding Honesty & Recovery Beyond the Filtered Life
  • 12-Step Workbook for Recovering Alcoholics, Including Powerful 4Th-Step Worksheets: 2015 Revised Edition
  • Need You Now