Start by marking “How to Two” as Want to Read:
How to Two

How to Two

From the co-creator of the New York Times bestselling Ladybug Girl series comes a joyful counting book about inclusivity, play, and the thrill of making new friends--from one to ten and back again.

A quiet day at the playground turns into a boisterous park-wide adventure as one boy on the slide becomes two kids on the see-saw, then three jumping rope. Befo
Published March 19th 2019 by Dial Books

Start your review of How to Two
La Coccinelle
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Something about this one rubbed me the wrong way. The illustrations are cute, and the counting aspect is fun, but I have a problem with the overall wording. Plus, this is a book that doesn't know when to quit.

This is a counting book with a bit of a... well, it's not so much a story as a premise. It starts out with one kid playing by himself. This is "how to one". This phrasing is used throughout, and though I can tell it means "how to play in a group of X number of kids", the wording is really w
Chance Lee
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
I didn't care for the repetitive and awkward text -- "How to one. How to two. How to three." etc. -- but the illustrations are lovely. The pages flow nicely, especially when we count backwards from 10 to 1. There are hidden animals on each page!
Shaye Miller
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
While this might initially be viewed as a simple counting book, there's much more going on here story-wise. "How to one" is just one boy sliding down a playground slide by himself. Then "how to two" is two children on a seesaw together. On and on the story goes until it reaches 10 and starts back over at "how to one" when the young boy who started the book heads home to read with his mother. Similar to a wordless picture book, readers can discuss all sorts of things happening within each page sp ...more
Aolund
Though the main text was awkward ("How to one, How to two"), the pictures and concept are strong. The children pictured finding different ways to play together to accommodate their expanding group have different skin tones, body shapes/sizes, and gender presentations, though they all appear able-bodied. If I used this book in a storytime, I would honestly substitute different words ("How to play with two, How to play with three, How do you play with four?" etc) and use it as a lesson for caregiv ...more
Aliza Werner
Story of inclusiveness, inviting kids to join in playground activities. One criticism is that while the kids and their families are diverse (LGBTQ, single parents, interracial, grandparents, religion, culture, ethnicity), none feature differently abled kids. Would have loved to see a child using an assistive mobility device or aid. But I loved the concept!
Erin
An interesting take on a counting book. Love, love the illustrations.
paula
Wow. One to ten, and so simple, so friendly, so inclusive - reminds me of All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon. Maybe my favorite of 2019 so far.
Meg
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The hidden animals make this even better!
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
A counting book with delightful illustrations and a so so story line.
Brittany Thurman
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this one will quickly become a classic.
FM Family
I absolutely loved some of the illustrations in this book, and the energy of it, and the mix of kids and families. But the words just didn't do it for me, the whole "how to one, how to two" thing didn't really gel and there wasn't much else there. But still worth a read for the memorable images and if you're looking for one of those books with lots of kids
Andrew
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, inclusive counting book taking place at a park, where a boy starts off playing by himself, but finds more kids to play with until there's a group! How to Two shows how kids can have fun with just a friend or two, or a whole crew! There is also a fun search and find with the critters in the park.
Nicole
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm actually going to give it a 2.5. I love the illustrations and that it helps the readers with counting. However, I felt that the book was going to be more about how to play with others/sharing and I felt that it could have been better addressed. It fell flat for me, but doesn't mean that it isn't a good book. I hope my patrons like it.
Amanda
4 stars for the illustrations and for the concept
3 stars for the seek and find
2 stars for the text which was difficult and didn't flow for me
1 star for letting me down
Richie Partington
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, ps
Richie’s Picks: HOW TO TWO by David Soman, Dial, March 2019, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-525-42784-1

“Say, say, oh playmate
Come out and play with me
And bring your dollies three
Climb up my apple tree
Shout down my rain barrel
Slide down my cellar door
And we’ll be jolly friends
Forever more”
-- 100+ year old song/hand clapping game

“A playground roundabout (or merry-go-round) is a flat disk, frequently about 2 to 3 metres (6 foot 7 in to 9 foot 10 in) in diameter, with bars on it that act as both hand-holds and s
Lisa
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A boy finds one new playmate after another at the playground until there are ten. As the children join each other to play, they take part in a variety of playground activities. Beautiful illustrations show a diverse group of children having fun playing and being with each other. The text is sparse, but it tells a wonderful story of friendship. It could also serve as a counting book. The end pages encourage readers to look back through the book and count various animal critters that are pictured ...more
Jana
This awesome picture book uses counting up to ten and back down again to illustrate such a lovely message for young readers. The book starts with one little boy playing on a playground, but as he is joined by friends, everyone is welcomed and the activity is adjusted to include each child. The beautifully painted illustrations along with the simple text really show how simple it is for everyone to play together. This is definitely a terrific book to share with young children during the warm weat ...more
Jessie
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This is a really lovely counting book about play and community!

The number of kids who are the focus on each page is the number on the page. The play is often related to that number, and there are animals (that many of a particular animal) hidden on each page.

I really liked the hints about what's coming on some of the pages, as well as the way we see the landscape of play expand.

Through most of the book, only the number words are used. Near the end, a two-page spread has the numerals in a circle
Flossmoor Public Library (IL)
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
5 stars

There is no particular reason why I like this book so much, but it definitely left me smiling. The book starts by showing a child playing by himself (“How to one.”). Then, he finds a friend and does a different activity (“How to two.”). The children consecutively find more children, and play appropriate games with that number of children until the group reaches 10. I guess it just made me happy to see the potential of a diverse group of kids playing together outside and getting along.

- Mi
Emily
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the same spirit as last year's Pie Is For Sharing, one of my favorite books of the year. A group of kids at a big city playground finds new ways to play together as more kids join in. The minimal text is lovely, but a little high-concept for Iris. The watercolor illustrations are great, though: the kids (and their families, when they appear) are diverse, and Soman does some beautiful things with the day's changing light and weather.
Dana Storytime Account
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. At first I was like "meh" because when I read the title I thought it was going to be about a 2 year old not a counting book, but then it was super cute. I pointed out to a coworker how cute it was that the animals matched the numbers as well which she hadn't noticed and then turned in to a "find all of the animals" game which would be tons of fun to help a child learning their numbers but also think more critically and observe more closely.
Beth
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I picked up this book, I didn't quite know what to expect based on the title. I kind of thought it was going to be an instruction manual on how to be 2 years old.

But I like the real version better. Essentially, it's about encouraging kids to always let others join in their circle, or as Glennon Doyle says, permanently standing in a horseshoe so others can join.
Effie
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the inclusive message of this counting book and I particularly enjoyed matching up each kid with their families toward the end. Though the language is, of course, simpler, it reminded me a little of All the World, where there were so many different individuals all doing their thing and you could trace each one if you wanted.
Katy
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are beautiful and watercolory (totally a word... cause I want it to be). This book is a cute and to the point book that shows how to play together as groups and be inclusive with those around you. It’s super heartfelt, as you can tell though the illustrations. However, the text isn’t very robust, so it is best for younger kids.
Pam
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrations and plenty of diversity in these characters. A young boy starts out as one and friends join in until they've counted to ten. The counting process is reversed as families come to take their children home. Then the process starts over and ends at two with boy and mom reading a book together.
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
A fun and simple story about friendship. As a bonus it counts to ten and there are even hidden things to find in the pictures. The illustrations are gorgeous as well, which makes this a fun book.

Not sure you can make it interactive enough for a storytime, but this is a sweet parent/child read aloud.
Amanda
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a simple, and very sweet, counting book that also show children how to play with others. The illustrations a nice to look at and the repetition will help young readers. Overall, a fun book to share with children.
Peacegal
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a counting book that is also a celebration of making friends and outdoor play--the fun of including others, and the fun of active imaginative play with nary a phone or gadget in sight. The joyful illustrations are a highlight.
Amy
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A fun book about children who discover each other at the park and end up having a fun day playing together. It is also a counting book counting forwards and backward to 10. The book is great for a one-on-one read!
Marcie
The more times I read this the more I like it. It has so much going on and I love the diversity of the illustrations. Can't think of a better counting book this year. I love Franki Seiberson's counting it as a make a difference book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The King of Kindergarten
  • Where Are You From?
  • Because
  • A Normal Pig

David Soman and Jacky Davis are a husband-and-wife creative team. They write the New York Times bestselling Ladybug Girl books together and Mr. Soman illustrates. The books are inspired by their own children and family experiences. Jacky Davis has worked in publishing as well as in television. David Soman teaches at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. They live with their children in upsta

News & Interviews