Start by marking “I Owe You One” as Want to Read:
I Owe You One

I Owe You One

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Sophie Kinsella, an irresistible story of love and empowerment about a young woman with a complicated family, a handsome man who might be “the one,” and an IOU that changes everything

Expected publication: February 5th 2019 by Dial Press

To ask other readers questions about I Owe You One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Owe You One

Theresa Alan
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve read enough books by Sophie Kinsella to know that the main character, whose nickname is Fixie because she’s always trying to fix other people and situations, will eventually have character growth. In Fixie's case, she lets her family and a man she’s been crushed out over since she was ten years old walk all over her. Even though I had faith she’d grow a backbone at some point, it was still hard to read all the ways she’s refuses to see things clearly or speak up for herself.

One of the thin
Kendall
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have been wary of trying this author because I've heard mixed reviews on all of her books. I decided to take a chance on this new novel and it didn't turn out the way I hoped.

Where do I start with this novel? This really was a bit of a mess.

Should I begin with Fixie's character? Wow... talk about annoying, having men walk all over her, and making ridiculous decisions because she's so blinded with wanting a man that badly?

Fixie is a character that tries to "fix" everyone but yet she is such a
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
☆☆☆ 1/2

Whenever Mum smiles, lines appear all over her face. They stretch like sunrays from her eyes; they score her cheeks and mark out her forehead in deep creases. Grief brought extra lines to her face. I saw it happen. And maybe some people think the lines are ugly, but I see love and life in every one of them.

This book is not great literature, it won't win the Pulitzer or the Nobel Prize for Literature, it is a piece of fluff. And I enjoyed every minute of it, it was fun. It was a nice
Stephanie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I adored this book. It's been awhile since I've read a Sophie Kinsella novel and I've forgotten just how addictive they can be. Once I started it I could hardly put it down. Full review to come.
Dianne
I will post a full review later (or maybe not!), but I have to say this, this book does follow a very specific formula and for 3/4 of the book, I hated ALL of the characters. Even the female lead Fixie. I know that this book was about change and family but I have never despised so many people in a book (even the supposed good guys) - I wanted to throw my Kindle out of the window at certain points in this novel.

Yes, the family does come together at the end, but was the journey to that point worth
Stephanie
FINALLY the Sophie Kinsella I know and love is back! I have been a fan for years and years but I hate to admit that I have not been a fan of recent books. I am so happy to say that I Owe You One was fantastic! Kinsella is the queen of writing characters you fall in love with (despite their faults and because of their quirks) and this book is no exception.

Fixie can't help fixing things. She tries her best, but she just can't stop. But what if she is what needs fixing? What if she's stuck in a ru
Kelsey (Kelseylovesbooks)
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, 2018
This is my second Kinsella book, and unfortunately it didn't quite live up to My Not So Perfect Life for me. While there are similarities in the story line that I liked, of a young woman trying to find her way, I had a few issues with the fact that the female lead is basically a doormat for the first 80% of the book. Almost all of the supporting characters are unlikable and treat her terribly, but she just goes along with it because she is too nervous to speak up and doesn’t want to offend anyon ...more
Kat, aka
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book was a delight. Four stars!

I have to start out by saying I am a longtime fan of Kinsella's. I've been reading her since about 2004, give or take a year. I started with Shopaholic, and I've read everything she's put out (under this name; she also writes under at least one other). So when I say I'm a fan, just know that I mean it.

Now since I'm a fan, I normally automatically rate all her books five stars. However this book didn't quite get there - in my eyes the beginning dragged just a l
Liz
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a surprise!?
Alissa
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: beach-book, netgalley
NOTE: I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley. This is my honest review.

I've never been interested in Sophie Kinsella's Shop-aholic series but I have liked almost all of her stand-alone books. After being very disappointed with her last book Surprise Me, which I could not finish, I was a bit weary of trying her again. However, this book, I Owe You One, is definitely more readable. At first I didn't love it as we are presented with Fixie, a bit of a doormat getting walked all over
Jeanne
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I needed a ‘nice’ story as s break from all my murder novels but I’m sorry to say I just didn’t care for this one. I didn’t find the characters interesting nor kind
Meredith Schorr
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Sophie Kinsella did it again. She wowed me with her trademark charming heroine, quirky cast of secondary characters, and laugh-out-loud wit. I truly had trouble putting this down (even when my eyes were dilated at the eye doctor's office)! Fixy Farr was a delightful character to follow, and even though I wanted to shake her sometimes for being a dormat, she ultimately found her way and it was worth waiting for.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for my complimentary copy.
Kathleen Crowell
Cute. Slow beginning with the typical "doormat" female lead. I liked Seb, but his anger and refusal to discuss his brother didn't make sense, neither did his relationship with Briony.
No Apology Book Reviews
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good but not great

I would like to thank Sophie Kinsella, The Dial Press/ Random House, and NetGalley for allowing me to read an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Fixie Farr possesses a compulsion to “fix” things. From cleaning up a stain no one would notice to calling 999 despite her friend’s wishes, Fixie derives pleasure in knowing she righted wrongs. She considers the compulsion one of her biggest flaws, because it gets her in trouble more often than it actually helps.

One thing she’s never
Ashley
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley for providing a copy of this book for me to read and review.

I've always been outspoken about my love for Sophie Kinsella. Her books are these little bright spots in my life. The characters are so flawed, yet so funny and endearing.

Simply put, I loved this book.

Fixie was great. Her inescapable desire to fix things and her strained relationship with her family were way too relatable to me. The infuriating brother with a super sweet girlfriend? Yeah, I know all about that.
Katie McCluskey
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fixie Farrs is the girl behind the curtain: she runs the show (aka she runs the day to day for her family business in London) but is never in the spotlight. Before her father passed away, he drilled into her the importance of family loyalty. Fixie lives by this mantra even if most of the time it backfires.

One day, Fixie saves Sebastian Marlowe’s laptop in a coffee shop from a ceiling collapse. Turns out he’s a CEO of an investment firm, and the laptop is very important to his business. Sebastian
Pooja
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I've always enjoyed Sophie Kinsella's books (I haven't read the Shopaholic series, just the stand alone novels), with my favorites being the Undomestic Goddess and I've Got Your Number. I Owe You One has all the hallmarks we've come to expect - protagonist has issues at work / is in a bad relationship, dreamy male character, some will they - won't they, everything ends happily ever after. But I somehow couldn't help feeling that the plot didn't live up to the potential shown in the blurb. I foun ...more
lisa
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Sophie Kinsella's books that fall out of the Shopaholic spectrum range from awful (Finding Audrey) to really good (Twenties Girl) but mostly fall in the middle. Somewhat good fluff. A quick fun read. There's nothing wrong with it, and I admit I look forward to reading her yearly piece of fluff. I was happy to get an early copy from Netgalley.

At first this seemed a little weightier than the last book Kinsella came out with, which was so unimportant that I can't even remember what it was about (so
Donna Hines
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Fixie always believed in family first until her father passed and she was left wondering in the world.
Saying NO was simply not part of her demeanor.
However saying NO to a handsome stranger wasn't part of the plan and Sebastian dares to challenge her thinking leaving behind an IOU for her assistance.
You know when it rains it pours as her past flame enters her life at the same time.
Ryan has no job so she leans upon Seb to help them out.'
Until new IOU's begin to grow between Seb and Fixie and Mrs.
Ellen
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kinsella does it again with a fun approach to self realization and family relationships. Fixie is obsessed with fixing things, helping others with their problems while ignoring her own. The four star review is because of the slow start involving Ryan, Fixie’s obsessive love interest, who is obviously flawed and annoying. Once Fixie moves on, the story picks up with defining what family love and romantic love is in reality. Good quick uplifting read, perfect around holiday time.
Ema
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Guys, I'm in love with Sophie Kinsella. For real. I met her once and she was more charming and delightful than her books are, and that's saying a lot.

Review tk, but this was another solid chickflicklit book with really cute characters, some thought about what it means to have a spine, some discussion of what it is to be family and to take care of each other, and a really great store.
BALLANTINE I LOVE YOU
Betsy Dunphy
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A young woman's favor for a handsome stranger she meets in a coffee shop turns her life upside down in a wonderful way. Another great romcom from Sophie Kinsella!
Hilary Grossman
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whenever I learn about a new Sophie Kinsella book I get super excited - She is hands down one of my favorite authors, and one who I feel continues to write better and better books. I find myself loving each new story a little bit more than the one I read before. And that totally was the case with I Owe You One.

Such a lighthearted, fun filled read with a very unique and quirky cast. No matter if I wanted to reach into the pages and hug or strangle a character I felt such a connection to all of th
Oct 15, 2018 is currently reading it
Review in progress.

Thank you to the following for permitting me access to an advance reader's copy (ARC) of I Owe You One. This generosity did not impact my honesty when rating/reviewing.
Source:
NetGalley
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group - Random House, The Dial Press
Genres: Women's Fiction
Pub Date: February 5, 2019
Kelsey Franks
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
First, let me say thank you to Random House and NetGalley, who sent me this ARC in exchange for my honest review. I Owe You One will be released February 5th, 2019!

This was the first book I've ever read by Sophie Kinsella. I know she is a veteran author and has a few bestselling novels. That being said, I Owe You One has its flaws. Right off the bat I'm going to say that there are probably much better Kinsella novels out there, and I am going to read them!

Fixie Farr is a fixer, she's the younge
Olivia Farr
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
"I Owe You One" was quite an emotional ride. I laughed, I cried, I yelled in frustration, and I really enjoyed the journey. Kinsella has a way of making you completely adore characters who will also frustrate you to the max, and Fixie is no exception. Fixie works for the family business, Farrs, a shop which their father ran until he died, and then her mother and the kids took over. The shop does well, but Fixie and her mother do all the work. Fixie's siblings are a bit of a terrible mess- her si ...more
Megan Leprich
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Random House Publishing and NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

Gosh where do I even start with this review? I loved this book so so much. I love that Sophie Kinsella doesn't only write books about Becky Bloomwood in her Shopaholic series, I love that she branches off and does independent books about other characters that are just as great as the rest of them.

This book is about Fixie, who if you couldn't figure out by the name always has to fix things a
Nikki
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, arc, chick-lit, netgalley
Fixie Farr has always lived by her father’s motto: “Family first.” But since her dad passed away, leaving his charming housewares store in the hands of his wife and children, Fixie spends all her time picking up the slack from her siblings instead of striking out on her own. The way Fixie sees it, if she doesn’t take care of her father’s legacy, who will? It’s simply not in her nature to say no to people.

So when a handsome stranger in a coffee shop asks her to watch his laptop for a moment, Fixi
Nicki K.
I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Ever since she was a little girl, Fixie Farr has been both a fixator, as well as a problem solver. Taught to always put family first, she constantly finds herself fixing her siblings' problems, and picking up the slack at her family's housewares shop after her father's death. To make matters worse, her mom, and only other rational family member, takes a holiday after a health scare, leaving her three childre
April
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I Owe You One by Sophie Kinsella
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group - Random House :The Dial Press
Publish Date: February 5, 2019

Thanks to NetGalley and publisher Random House: The Dial Press for the ebook ARC of I Owe You One by Sophie Kinsella in exchange for an honest review.

Fixie Farr has always lived by her father’s motto: “Family first.” But since her dad passed away, leaving his charming housewares store in the hands of his wife and children. Fixie spends all her time picking up the s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sophie Kinsella has sold over 40 million copies of her books in more than 60 countries, and she has been translated into over 40 languages.

Sophie Kinsella first hit the UK bestseller lists in September 2000 with her first novel in the Shopaholic series – The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic (also published as Confessions of a Shopaholic). The book’s heroine, Becky Bloomwood – a fun and feisty fin