Start by marking “Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy #2)” as Want to Read:
Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy #2)

Lady Smoke

(Ash Princess Trilogy #2)

The sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller that was "made for fans of Victoria Aveyard and Sabaa Tahir" ( Bustle ), Lady Smoke is an epic new fantasy about a throne cruelly stolen and a girl who must fight to take it back for her people.

The Kaiser murdered Theodosia's mother, the Fire Queen, when Theo was only six. He took Theo's country and kept her p
Published February 5th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Lady Smoke, please sign up.
Laura Thank you for your question. The whole series will be told from Theo's POV. I realize the name is misleading, but this book and book 3 all focus on…moreThank you for your question. The whole series will be told from Theo's POV. I realize the name is misleading, but this book and book 3 all focus on Theo's journey.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amira This is literally me.
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah FaizalDescendant of the Crane by Joan He
YA Novels of 2019
789 books — 2,299 voters
King of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Wicked King by Holly BlackNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,375 books — 3,365 voters

More lists with this book...

Sana
This book was powerful powerful powerful powerful! I'm speechless and mind blown right now. Seriously, what a fucking powerful book.

Theo is such a fucking bad bitch and I literally don't deserve to breathe the same air as this Queen, holy SHIT.

This book was more political but equally as scheming, bloody and violent as the first one and filled with unexpected twists and deaths.

It made me so happy to read about a bisexual, female ruler even though she shows up for a little while in this book. Er
Cesar
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

Lady Smoke has exceeded my expectations. Usually, in a trilogy, there's always the chance where the second book suffers from Second Book Syndrome. To me, Lady Smoke was a pretty damn good installment to the Ash Princess trilogy.

Mind you, this will not be for everyone as I will explain further, but for a second book, I was really impressed by how the story progressed as well as the stakes that were involved.

Lady Smoke takes place right after the events of Ash Princess where Theodosia esca
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
9/28/18
...an army can only be produced if Theo takes a husband.

via GIPHY

But seriously, like wtf why!? There had better be a good reason, like this better not just be a convenient plot device used only to make the heroine to choose between two boys.
---
8/4/18
Loving the cover!
---
Based on the title I feel like we're going to get a lot more Cress, and honestly I am not sure I want that 😪
helena
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Princess of Ash is dead. Long live the Queen.

WHAT AN AMAZING BOOK, YOU GUYS!!!!! oh my god. oh my god.
i simply couldn’t put down. every chapter was a delight to read. all of them felt interesting and well-written, nothing ever feels like a filler here and i absolutely love it. the characters were amazing, the romance was good, the intrigues were awesome, the battles were consistent. amazing! just amazing! i was hooked the entire time!
just read it.
Gaby (lookingatbooks)
Apr 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
I DESPERATELY HOPE THEODOSIA USES HER FIRE MAGIC 🙏🏻
megs_bookrack
Your Amazon.com order of "Lady Smoke (Ash Princess)" has arrived!

Dannii Elle
Actual rating 4.5/5 stars.

Theodosia is the last remaining heir of a vanquished country, now owned by its conqueror and the man who kept her a beaten and paraded captive, for almost her entire childhood. But this once Ash Princess is now determined to fulfil her role as Queen Theo, and this queen wants her land back and her people freed.

The Theo the reader was introduced to in the previous series instalment is a very different being to the one that appeared here. Theo's original wishes were almos
Tekla
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-2019
Spoilers for Lady Smoke hereunder.

“I hope you come to see that a woman can wield power beyond what’s between her legs—for your daughter’s sake if nothing else.”

“There’s a reason you can’t find the word virginity in Astrean. The concept doesn’t exist.”

~ ~ ~

These books are addictive. Even flawed, I just couldn’t stop reading.

This was so much better than I expected.

Theo became such a complex and rich character. I loved how grey she was in so many areas. Loved her journey into finding who she was an
mahana
i was gonna come home form work and write a review about how much i love this world and the main characters but my wifi decided to shit itself again and the company straight up refuses to fix it ever so :-)
Brittany
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!!
🌟🌟🌟🌟

Lady Smoke picks up right where Ash Princess left off. Theo is trying to get everything in order on her travels with Dragons-bane and her fleet. They are all looking for allies to take down the Kaiser and Cress.

Things I Liked:
Theo shows a ton of growth in this book as her character falls in line with the title of Queen. Shes starting to come into herself and reall
Suzanne
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked Ash Princess but Lady Smoke was much better! This one was intense and you are more invested in the characters and plot so the 500+ pages just fly by. Readers will grow more attached to the characters in this one than they were in the first, but a couple things were predictable. However, the predictability did not take anything away from the story or the enjoyment of the story. Just a very good sequel and that ending…oh my! Cress got to go though. She a bit overdone now…

My quick an
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Buddy read with Angy.

I read it in two days as I really was immersed into the story. It was slower in the beginning as I had to remember everything that had happened in the first book and who was who.

I like Theodosia better in this second book. She has matured and changed from the frightened little girl. Being far from the Kaiser is helping her of course. I like that she is experienced in navigating royal court and gives as good as she gets all with a saccharine smile. Yet she never loses sight o
Katie.dorny
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
SPOILERS AHEAD

3.5 stars rounded down. The first book was mesmerising, this was mediocre.
Here we meet Theo from where we left her, however she just doesn’t seem to progress as a character throughout this book at all. She still acts like a petulant teenager even though she is adamant she is a queen. I understand why Dragonsbane treats her they way she does.
I’m also becoming bored of the love triangle. I get it. We all get it. We all know how that’s gonna end.
The ending of the book was the most exc
Rae
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
You can find this review and others on the blog here:

WARNING:This Review Contains Mild Spoilers for Ash Princess.

It's always the true test of a series if the second book can live up to the expectation that you were left with when you finished the first book. Will it have the same voice? Will the characters grow with the story? What will happen? Do you even care what happens next? And when you do finally get your hands on a copy of that book you've been wai
Jackie
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Honestly I felt that this book could be a 3 stars. I didn’t like the love triangle that was very unneeded. There are other weaknesses revolving romance and forcing her to marry. Some good parts though and this is a second book which are usually weaker, so I decided to round 4stars.
Vicky Who Reads
Mar 26, 2018 marked it as to-read
✨ the DRC of Ash Princess says the title for book 2 is Lady Smoke (coming spring 2019)

"When there's smoke, there's fire."
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Thank you, Penguin Random House, for giving me a finished copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My mother was the Queen of Peace. But I am not that sort of Queen.

This sequel to Ash Princess was worth the wait. I've always loved political fantasies since they typically have enough intrigue to keep the pages flipping. With that in mind, Lady Smoke gave me the reading experience that I expected. Even though I didn't completely recall everything that happened in the first book, I didn't
Alaina
It was good.. but god dammit - I hate love triangles.

Okay, I keep changing my mind on this freaking book rating. I can't decide to put a 3 or 4 star... so it'll be a freaking 3.5. Like I mentioned above, Lady Smoke was a good book. I have the audio version, which definitely makes it a bit easier for myself when working such long drastic hours. Now this book starts where the previous book, Ash Princess left us.

However, I feel like the characters didn't really do anything in this book but when s
Natalie ♡
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 ⭐
I don't know, what it was, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book. Although I still liked it :)
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, own
Wow okay so I LOVED how this ended. Like so much! This was such a solid book two of a series!

I loved the new geopolitical angle we got and how it tied back to book ones ending. I was NOT expecting anything that happened in the last like.. quarter of the book. I like this romance triangle set up and am insanely curious to see how that's going to be tackled in book 3. Theo just grew a shit ton in this book alone but it's like night and day comparing her to the start of Ash Princess to the end of L
Yoda
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Atlas
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, arc-s
"Friends, enemies, I don't think it matters anymore. The chains are just as heavy, no matter who holds the key"

* * *
3 / 5

My opinion of Ash Princess was that it was a perfectly fine YA fantasy book. In fact, it seemed to have many popular tropes crammed into it: an orphan princess, a country under the rule of a tyrannical king, the king has a hot son, her hot childhood friend rocks up, and rebellions and love triangles ensue! I like Lady Smoke because it doesn’t feel like it was trying so hard. L
K8
Dec 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
She takes another drink, a smaller one this time, before looking at me thoughtfully. “You’re lucky that you didn’t really know her.”

“Did you just say that I’m lucky my mother died?”

“I didn’t say that,” Dragonsbane says, rolling her eyes. “But it’s nice, in a way, to have her preserved so purely in your memory—a perfect mother and a perfect queen, brilliant and kind and valiant. She’s practically a goddess in your mind, isn’t she?"

00 high points final
– Actual progress toward Theo reclaiming her country near the
Erin Arkin
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lady Smoke is book two of the Ash Princess trilogy by Laura Sebastian and I’ve been waiting to get my hands on this book since I turned the last page of the first book. No spoilers for Lady Smoke ahead but if you haven’t read Ash Princess, I can’t promise anything, so you are officially warned.

This book picks up right after the end of book one which was great. Theodosia has escaped from the Kaiser, she’s taken back her title of Queen, and is now looking for a way to get her throne and Astrea bac
Morgan Shipman
Absolutely OBSESSED with this series! I don't know how I will survive until the next book comes out. The author manages to create a thrilling fantasy book that kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I loved the interweaving of the persistent (view spoiler) I was so proud of Theo taking back her title and exerting her position. I wasn't a huge fan of Dragonsbane for...well, really for the entire book until the end. The cliffh ...more
Shelley
*Source* Library
*Genre* Young Adult Fantasy
*rating* 3.5-4

*Thoughts*

Lady Smoke, by author Laura Sebastian, is the second installment in the authors Ash Princess Trilogy. The story picks up where Ash Princess left off. Ten years ago, the Kalovaxian's Kaiser murdered Theodosia's mother, The Queen of Fire, and kept Theo around as a sort of hostage. Every time her people acted out, Theo was punished. Those days are now over. Theo finds herself is onboard the Smoke, Dragonbane’s ship, with her Shadows
Raven_Blake (dreamy addictions)
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars!
Same Review Also Posted On My Blog: Dreamy Addictions

“Hope is contagious. When you have enough it spreads naturally.”

Lady Smoke was a good sequel to Ash Princess but honestly it didn't wow me as much as I had hoped. I was expecting more magical action and less arranged marriage drama. The triangle in this book seemed ridiculous. It was totally pointless when you can clearly see who's going to win. Despite all these clichedness, It still makes an enjoyable read. The b
Arika
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Positives:
+ Ash Princess had gay characters and diverse races and cultural references but Lady Smoke really ramps up the diversity rep. As the world opens up, so too do other nations who are filled with LGBT characters, feminist politics and even a character hinted to have autism. All of this is done with natural poise and never felt like a PC checklist or a pointlessly huge ensemble. Also, I am HERE for that tiny m/m ship👏
+ Lady Smoke also takes the political elements of the previous novel and
Brittany Elizabeth
Lady Smoke picks up right where Ash Princess left off, with Theodosia having escaped the Kaiser and taken back her rightful title as the Queen of Astrea plus a hostage that may or not be the beautiful Prinz Soren. Lady Smoke was honestly a very good follow up to Ash Princess but it didn't wow me like I had anticipated unfortunately. There was just or two things that brought it down to 4 stars for me.

One thing I still absolutely love about this series is the epic world building. In Ash Princess w
Nikole Clow
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lady Smoke, an exquisite and breathtaking read, is a perfect bridge between Ash Princess and Ember Queen, the final book in the trilogy. Lady Smoke continues where Ash Princess ends, and brings the readers on a journey full of history and the continuous game of cat and mouse.

In Lady Smoke, Theo meets many potential suitors who, in exchange for her hand in marriage, will give her a big enough army to take down the Kaiser and reclaim Astrea. What I liked about all these suitors is that we are give
Soren or Blaise? 6 52 Jun 13, 2019 05:58PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy #2) by Laura Sebastian - Starting May 2019 58 26 May 24, 2019 02:22PM

• Find Me Their Bones (Bring Me Their Hearts, #2)
  • Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back
  • Defy the Fates (Constellation, #3)
  • Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
  • Through the White Wood
  • The Queen's Resistance (The Queen’s Rising, #2)
  • Honor Bound (The Honors, #2)
  • The Triumphant (The Valiant, #3)
  • Queen of Ruin (Grace and Fury, #2)
  • Untitled
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • The Shadow Wand (The Black Witch Chronicles, #3)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Scorch Dragons (Elementals, #2)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Rage (Stormheart, #2)
I write YA books and I'm also entrusted with taking care of other people's children. I write books about girls who are strong in all different ways, usually with a healthy dollop of magic and a few dragons.

I live in NYC with my extraordinarily fluffy dog, Neville.

Ash Princess Trilogy (3 books)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
“As women, we must have our weapons in this world, whether they’re our minds or our fists or our wiles or our tears.” 2 likes
“A queen without a crown, without a throne, without a coronation. What, exactly, do you imagine you're queen of?” 1 likes