Start by marking “Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)

Lady Smoke

(Ash Princess Trilogy #2)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  13,510 ratings  ·  1,378 reviews
The sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller that was "made for fans of Victoria Aveyard and Sabaa Tahir" ( Bustle ), Lady Smoke is an epic new fantasy about a throne cruelly stolen and a girl who must fight to take it back for her people.

The Kaiser murdered Theodosia's mother, the Fire Queen, when Theo was only six. He to
Published February 5th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Lady Smoke, please sign up.
Laura Thank you for your question. The whole series will be told from Theo's POV. I realize the name is misleading, but this book and book 3 all focus on Th…moreThank you for your question. The whole series will be told from Theo's POV. I realize the name is misleading, but this book and book 3 all focus on Theo's journey.(less)
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberA Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
YA Novels of 2019
875 books — 3,006 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonThe Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,466 books — 4,004 voters

More lists with this book...

·  13,510 ratings  ·  1,378 reviews

Start your review of Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
Sana
This book was powerful powerful powerful powerful! I'm speechless and mind blown right now. Seriously, what a fucking powerful book.

Theo is such a fucking bad bitch and I literally don't deserve to breathe the same air as this Queen, holy SHIT.

This book was more political but equally as scheming, bloody and violent as the first one and filled with unexpected twists and deaths.

It made me so happy to read about a bisexual, female ruler even though she shows up for a little while in this book. Er
Cesar
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

Lady Smoke has exceeded my expectations. Usually, in a trilogy, there's always the chance where the second book suffers from Second Book Syndrome. To me, Lady Smoke was a pretty damn good installment to the Ash Princess trilogy.

Mind you, this will not be for everyone as I will explain further, but for a second book, I was really impressed by how the story progressed as well as the stakes that were involved.

Lady Smoke takes place right after the events of Ash Princess where Theodosia esca
Helena of Eretz ✰
This series is slowly, but surely, becoming a new favourite of mine. I expected this instalment to suffer from Second Book Syndrome, but I’m happy to announce that it didn’t! There was no lull in the action or fluff in the story. Rather, the plot kept me riveted and stressed over the safety of my favourite characters.

Theo is such a wonderful protagonist and queen who truly wants to do right by her people. Søren, often a lad in distress, unfortunately, is such a sweet, but protective, character
Cindy ✩☽♔
Apr 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
9/28/18
...an army can only be produced if Theo takes a husband.

via GIPHY

But seriously, like wtf why!? There had better be a good reason, like this better not just be a convenient plot device used only to make the heroine to choose between two boys.
---
8/4/18
Loving the cover!
---
Based on the title I feel like we're going to get a lot more Cress, and honestly I am not sure I want that 😪
helena
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english
The Princess of Ash is dead. Long live the Queen.

WHAT AN AMAZING BOOK, YOU GUYS!!!!! oh my god. oh my god.
i simply couldn’t put down. every chapter was a delight to read. all of them felt interesting and well-written, nothing ever feels like a filler here and i absolutely love it. the characters were amazing, the romance was good, the intrigues were awesome, the battles were consistent. amazing! just amazing! i was hooked the entire time!
just read it.
• Lindsey Dahling •
I would’ve liked this book a lot more had 85% of it not been spent on the characters doing absolutely nothing.

description

But, the writing significantly improved. The first one’s narration was THE WORST. LEGIT SO ANNOYINGLY BAD. This one was much, much better.

In fact, it was so much better that I will definitely read the third one. I’m too invested in Soren (which is also the only reason I read the second one 😂). He’s the most complex character in the series, so I’m rooting for him and his gray area-ness (
Gaby (lookingatbooks)
Apr 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
I DESPERATELY HOPE THEODOSIA USES HER FIRE MAGIC 🙏🏻
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it

“Still, you reminded me of the legend.
With your bright eyes and crown of ashes and Fire Queen mother.
Lady Thora, everyone called you, but I thought of you as Lady Smoke.
I knew it would only be a matter of time before your ember sparked again, until you once more burned bright enough to escape him.”

Story 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Theo escaped the Kaiser and his court only to be forced into another country filled with intrigues. Princes, other countries are fighting for Theos hand, but every time she chooses a way
megs_bookrack
Your Amazon.com order of "Lady Smoke (Ash Princess)" has arrived!

Dannii Elle
Actual rating 4.5/5 stars.

Theodosia is the last remaining heir of a vanquished country, now owned by its conqueror and the man who kept her a beaten and paraded captive, for almost her entire childhood. But this once Ash Princess is now determined to fulfil her role as Queen Theo, and this queen wants her land back and her people freed.

The Theo the reader was introduced to in the previous series instalment is a very different being to the one that appeared here. Theo's original wishes were almos
Alaina
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was good.. but god dammit - I hate love triangles.

Okay, I keep changing my mind on this freaking book rating. I can't decide to put a 3 or 4 star... so it'll be a freaking 3.5. Like I mentioned above, Lady Smoke was a good book. I have the audio version, which definitely makes it a bit easier for myself when working such long drastic hours. Now this book starts where the previous book, Ash Princess left us.

However, I feel like the characters didn't really do anything in this book but when s
Tekla ✨
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-2019
Spoilers for Lady Smoke hereunder.

“I hope you come to see that a woman can wield power beyond what’s between her legs—for your daughter’s sake if nothing else.”

“There’s a reason you can’t find the word virginity in Astrean. The concept doesn’t exist.”

~ ~ ~

These books are addictive. Even flawed, I just couldn’t stop reading.

This was so much better than I expected.

Theo became such a complex and rich character. I loved how grey she was in so many areas. Loved her journey into finding who she was an
Veronique
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“A queen without a crown, without a throne, without a coronation. What, exactly, do you imagine you're queen of?”

YASS YASS YASS I am so down for this book series. I am in love!

This book took me a little bit longer to get through in comparison to the first book, but I still loved it nonetheless. However that ENDING. That I didn't see coming. OH MY.. I cannot wait what the last book will bring us.

Let me tell you this: Soren is Bae and I wouldn't even had to chose between this love triangle situat
Katie.dorny
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Suzanne
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked Ash Princess but Lady Smoke was much better! This one was intense and you are more invested in the characters and plot so the 500+ pages just fly by. Readers will grow more attached to the characters in this one than they were in the first, but a couple things were predictable. However, the predictability did not take anything away from the story or the enjoyment of the story. Just a very good sequel and that ending…oh my! Cress got to go though. She a bit overdone now…

My quick an
Zitong Ren
Hey, so this was really nice, though I had a few small issues with it. RTC
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
i was gonna come home form work and write a review about how much i love this world and the main characters but my wifi decided to shit itself again and the company straight up refuses to fix it ever so :-)
Brittany
4 Stars!!
🌟🌟🌟🌟

Lady Smoke picks up right where Ash Princess left off. Theo is trying to get everything in order on her travels with Dragons-bane and her fleet. They are all looking for allies to take down the Kaiser and Cress.

Things I Liked:
Theo shows a ton of growth in this book as her character falls in line with the title of Queen. Shes starting to come into herself and r
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Buddy read with Angy.

I read it in two days as I really was immersed into the story. It was slower in the beginning as I had to remember everything that had happened in the first book and who was who.

I like Theodosia better in this second book. She has matured and changed from the frightened little girl. Being far from the Kaiser is helping her of course. I like that she is experienced in navigating royal court and gives as good as she gets all with a saccharine smile. Yet she never loses sight o
Caylynn
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reread review- I feel as though I should have waited another day to reread these two books because I CANNOT WAIT TWO MORE DAYS UNTIL Ember Queen!!! I CAN'T DO IT, GUYS. I need this conclusion, guys.

But yeah. This was definitely still a 5/5 star read, even though I'm dying for the conclusion. If-for some reason- you haven't picked up this trilogy yet, DO IT.

----------------------------------------------
Soren clenches his jaw and yanks the man's arms until he cries out. "Her name is Queen Theod
Kate (Feathered Turtle Press)
Dec 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
She takes another drink, a smaller one this time, before looking at me thoughtfully. “You’re lucky that you didn’t really know her.”

“Did you just say that I’m lucky my mother died?”

“I didn’t say that,” Dragonsbane says, rolling her eyes. “But it’s nice, in a way, to have her preserved so purely in your memory—a perfect mother and a perfect queen, brilliant and kind and valiant. She’s practically a goddess in your mind, isn’t she?"

00 high points final
– Actual progress toward Theo reclaiming her country n
Yoda
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rae
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
You can find this review and others on the blog here:

WARNING:This Review Contains Mild Spoilers for Ash Princess.

It's always the true test of a series if the second book can live up to the expectation that you were left with when you finished the first book. Will it have the same voice? Will the characters grow with the story? What will happen? Do you even care what happens next? And when you do finally get your hands on a copy of that book you've been wai
Sasha
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, fantasy
It was as the first book a 3 stars for me. I enjoyed it but I wasn't like sucked in to the story.

I still really want to read the last book in the series...
I felt like it was slower (maybe lots slower I don't know) but I really enjoyed the character developments in that one. We actually got to understand more some of the characters... But still some behaviour didn't make sense...
Nicki Chapelway
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This could have been an entertaining tale, but it did have its issues. The content was unnecessary. There were way too many subplots and pretty much three hundred pages in the middle of the book weren't even needed for the plot XD. I ended up skimming a good deal of it. I didn't find any of the twists shocking and they were really quite cliche. Theo was a mostly good heroine but she still makes crazy decisions half the time and she really frustrated me in the first half. Actually anything having ...more
Amanda
May 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Review taken from Literary Weaponry

As you can see above, I rated this book 2.5/5 and that was being generous. So, all things considered, this is going to be more of a rant than anything else. SPOILERS WILL FOLLOW.

~*~INCOMING SPOILERS~*~

Did I warn you enough about spoilers? Did you get the point? Good. Moving on.

I had preordered this book and received it on release day back in February. When I read Ash Princess, the first book in this trilogy, I had genuinely enjoyed it. There was an engaging plo
Jackie
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Honestly I felt that this book could be a 3 stars. I didn’t like the love triangle that was very unneeded. There are other weaknesses revolving romance and forcing her to marry. Some good parts though and this is a second book which are usually weaker, so I decided to round 4stars.
Lauren
Ash Princess ★★★★

3.5 STARS

This was not the rating I was expecting to give this book. After completely adoring the first book, this book was a bit of a disappointment. To be fair, I can’t blame it entirely on the book. I have been in a massive reading slump, which negatively affected my enjoyment of this book. I also got extremely busy after starting this book, so I didn’t have time to finish.

When I first read Ash Princess, I could not let go of it at all. I was completely engrossed, but I did n
Dilushani Jayalath
To say I am highly disappointed in this is an understatement. I cannot even say how much I disliked this book compared to the previous. I was in cloud 9 thinking that we finally got a headstrong female character where she does not let the factors such as romance and clandestine affairs affect her decisions. Clearly I thought too quick. It is as if Theo had taken 100 steps backwards in this book. I was dispirited while reading this. Everything I had in my head? Did a complete 180. I do not think ...more
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Thank you, Penguin Random House, for giving me a finished copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My mother was the Queen of Peace. But I am not that sort of Queen.

This sequel to Ash Princess was worth the wait. I've always loved political fantasies since they typically have enough intrigue to keep the pages flipping. With that in mind, Lady Smoke gave me the reading experience that I expected. Even though I didn't completely recall everything that happened in the first book, I didn't

• The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Evermore (Everless, #2)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Nightblood (Frostblood Saga, #3)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Fireblood (Frostblood Saga, #2)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • The Queen's Resistance (The Queen’s Rising, #2)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
I write YA books and I'm also entrusted with taking care of other people's children. I write books about girls who are strong in all different ways, usually with a healthy dollop of magic and a few dragons.

I live in NYC with my extraordinarily fluffy dog, Neville.

Ash Princess Trilogy (3 books)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)