Start by marking “The Kite Maker” as Want to Read:
The Kite Maker

The Kite Maker

The Kite Maker is Brenda Peynado's science fiction novella of of how humans cope with alien contact.

After aliens arrive on earth, humans do the unthinkable out of fear. When an alien walks into a human kite maker's store, coveting her kites, the human struggles with her guilt over her part in the alien massacres, while neo-Nazis draw a violent line between alien and human.
Published August 29th 2018 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Kite Maker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kite Maker

Start your review of The Kite Maker
karen
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it

...the kids roamed the neighborhood playing humans and aliens, hitting each other with electronic wands that dissipated on contact so that no damage could be done. We didn’t have any aliens on our side of town; the children considered weak played the aliens, eyes big, offering no resistance. If they fought back, they were scolded,That’s not how it happened.

this story is strong in emotional appeal and would probably be better appreciated by readers with feelings. i'm not one who typically
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Review posted on Fantasy Literature:

“The Kite Maker” is an alien invasion with a reverse twist: when the alien ships landed, humans attacked the dragonfly-like aliens who emerged from the ships, killing and maiming many of them. Eventually humanity figured out that the Dragonflies were friendly refugees from a dying planet and allowed them to settle among us on Earth. But shame, prejudice and xenophobia have made the arrangement an uneasy one. The narrator, a kite-maker and -seller whose
Gavin
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It is hard to describe how I feel about this strange and melancholy tale of an unusual alien invasion. I really loved a lot of the messages and themes explored in the story and was definitely emotionally engaged but a few other moments quite annoyed me and I never managed to really warm to any of the characters. I think I'd have to still rate this short story as a very good one as despite its flaws it did engage me emotionally and left me thinking!

Set 15 years in the aftermath of the arrival of
Bradley
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-shelf, sci-fi
Treat-read, a free novella from Tor.

Alien massacres. That is, we massacred them. Just because they were passive refugees.

Honestly, I think the tale works on a lot of levels, from an idea of not just aliens on the top layer but from the idea of normal, regular people who are naturally passive to begin with. You know, the whole Yin/Yang argument. If a person doesn't stand up and fight, do they deserve to be maltreated? How about rape victims? Did they have it coming to them?

You see where I'm going
Fiona
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I understood Tove, wanting the biggest, best thing you couldn’t have. I wanted his unexhausted hope, that’s what I wanted. I wanted forgiveness without having to name my sins, I wanted tenderness to feel real to me again. Some part of me wanted to fly in the face of everything those skinheads represented, but another part of me wanted the world before the Dragonflies fell in, the world we couldn’t have. Were we tender before? Could we be tender again? Or did the Fallings only awaken the violence ...more
Gary
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
When the Dragonflies first landed on Earth seeking refuge from the destruction of their home world, frightened humans reacted with violence. The unnamed narrator was one of those reactionaries, but now she tries to make up for her ghastly behavior with extra kindness. She makes kites, and when a Dragonfly named Tove comes into her shop, she wants to please him. But political and cultural realities complicate interactions between humans and Dragonflies, and continue to make it dangerous for ...more
Trish
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
This, for me, was a strange story.

About 15 years ago, a race of aliens fell from the sky. It wasn't an invasion. They were more crash-landing, losing their ships and some anatomical abilities thanks to our atmosphere.
By now, they've tried to integrate, working certain jobs for almost nothing and, of course, there are tensions as some people don't want them on Earth at all while others are riddled with guilt about what we humans did to them when they arrived out of fear of an alien invasion.

On
La Coccinelle
Sep 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult, short-stories
Okay, look: if you're going to be all artsy and avoid using standard punctuation, you need to make sure that you actually know what you're doing. You know that saying about needing to know the rules before you can break them? Well, it seems that this author ignored that. The text is riddled with what appear to be typos (missing words, missing punctuation, etc.), so when I'm trying to read all this dialogue without punctuation, I end up confused because I don't know where one person's speech ...more
Karen  ⚜Mess⚜
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
You’ve never seen a kite fly until you’ve seen an alien fly one

A sweet and endearing short story. Free read on Tor The Kite Maker.

Zoe's Human
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lt
Powerful, sad, dark and beautiful. One of the best short stories I've ever read. It was tragically realistic and speaks to who we are right now and the worst parts of our human potential.
ambyr
This covers somewhat similar ground to Sweetheart, which Tor.com republished earlier in the month--bug-like aliens live among us, and humans wrestle with their own complicity in acts of systematic prejudice and violence. I wonder what the rising popularity for stories with aliens as victim of humans rather than aggressors says about the current cultural zeitgeist. Anyway, while I liked the tone of Sweetheart better, the descriptions and material details here--of the kites, of the alien's ...more
Bobbi Jo
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This hurt my heart. It was also weird.

Also, it involved a sexual assault of the weirdest sort I've ever even heard of but it was still awful.
Joe
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Feels like it wants to be a Wild Cards story, but as far as I know isn't one, which is a bit of a shame, because it would have been better than most other stories in that collection, but as a story otherwise it's a bit lacking. In its need to implement the ingredients for its Main Argument, it leaps through several different genres, which makes it tonally dissonant, and takes away from its designated outcome and Inevitable Ending. A longer work would have dealt with this more comfortably and ...more
rixx
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
[The Kite Maker](https://www.tor.com/2018/08/29/the-ki...) is a short story playing on Earth, 15 years after a peaceful alien race arrived. The Dragonflies, as they were called, were greeted with violence, and now that they are somewhat integrated into society, the right mob moves against them. Heavy-handed metaphore is mixed with good characterization, leading to an intentionally painful, okay-but-not-quite-good short story.
Prabhjot K
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow I am so glad that I discovered this gem of a story by accident. This is such a compelling story that forces you to think about being human and humane. The lengths we go to eradicate anything or anyone that seems different. This was a beautiful but sad story that made me feel emotions that I have not felt in a long time.
Irene
Strange, ugly and truthful. It leaves little for the imagination, though.
"I'm sorry we make you sleep here, Aleo said. It's so horrible.
For a moment I was proud. I would have pointed out every failure in the warehouses so they would learn how much we had.
Then the mother said, It's our home."
Keith
Darkly beautiful, unabashedly emotional, far from subtle.
Marita_z
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice take on Human condicionado/behaviour.
Aaron Mullis
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best thing I have read from Tor.com, and that’s saying a lot.
Katherine
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tor-free, short-story
The concepts and the theme behind this were good, but the writing was just too disjointed. I really wanted to like this one more than I did, but it just didn't really click with me.
Marzie
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

A allegory about immigration and racism.
Niranjan Dalaya
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
MollyK
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lot to unpack in this one. Very disturbing, yet some lovely writing. Clearly the monsters are us.
Marco
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A great novelette that touches in metaphorical the currently very hot topic of immigration with extreme sensibility and honesty.
The story is set in a near future, in a world where aliens arrive on earth and humans do the unthinkable out of fear. An alien walks into a human kite maker's store, coveting her kites, and the human struggles with her guilt over her part in the alien massacres, while neo-Nazis draw a violent line between aliens and humans.
A great read and a strong candidate for next
Condwiramurs