Start by marking “Literary Places (Inspired Traveller's Guide)” as Want to Read:
Literary Places (Inspired Traveller's Guide)

Literary Places (Inspired Traveller's Guide)

Inspired Traveller’s Guide: Literary Places takes you on an enlightening journey through the key locations of literature’s best and brightest authors, movements and moments – brought to life through comprehensively researched text and stunning hand-drawn artwork.

Travel journalist Sarah Baxter provides comprehensive and atmospheric outlines of the history and culture of 25
Published March 5th 2019 by White Lion Publishing (first published January 22nd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Literary Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Literary Places

Start your review of Literary Places (Inspired Traveller's Guide)
Diane Barnes
The book descriptions by Sarah Baxter were works of art in themselves, and the illustrations by Amy Grimes were charming and colorful. However, when you're reading about the griminess and unsanitary streets and alleyways of Dicken's London, or the bleakness of Turgenev's Moscow, colorful and charming hit the wrong note. I did enjoy browsing through this book slowly, but the prose and the artwork just didn't jive in many cases. 4 stars for the art, 4 stars for the writing, is going to equal 3 sta ...more
Literary Redhead
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
Love this beautifully illustrated coffee table book by travel journalist Sarah Baxter, which offers a colorful look at 25 literary locations around the world. You’ll be introduced to Heathcliff’s gloomy moors, Hugo’s City of Light, Quixote’s sunny La Mancha, with details on how place, culture and history impact famous authors’ famous works. With gratitude to author Sarah Baxter, Quarto Publishing Group - White Lion Publishing, and Netgalley for the ARC. 5 of 5 stars.
Bookworm Extraordinaire
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
description
description The predominant appeal of this book by far are the illustrations. They are gorgeous and unique. Sarah Baxter brings twenty-five well known literary settings to life. Each offering the reader both a visually pleasing and informative experience. I would love to own this one as a coffee-table book!
description
Sierra de Guadarram
Julie
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
The writing and the illustrations seem at odds with one another. Initially, I was excited by the idea of a book based on traveling to places I had discovered through reading literary fiction, however my actual experience of this book is more of a textbook experience with illustrations that don't match the sophistication of the text. It might have been better to use actual photographs or liven the text. ...more
Meike
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, uk
Less a travel guide and more a coffee table book, Baxter entertains her readers with charming short texts about the places where major literary works are set. We hear about the meaning of those places in the context of the stories, but also in real life - but these are no elaborate or even scientific examinations, mind you, but small vignettes that intend to evoke an atmosphere. The effect is supported by lovely drawings by Amy Grimes that dominate the whole book.

The "literary places" and their
Richard
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Never was a title more apt and in just a heading, sums the book up better than any review.

Taking some iconic and other less visited destinations, Sarah Baxter has brought places alive where various books and novels have been set or an author has been influence by such a location.
Charles Dicken's London as described in Oliver Twist, Soweto through the eyes of Nadine Gordimer and Bath where Jane Austen is still remembered and most consider Northanger Abbey and Persuasion as true examples of Englis
Jeannette Nikolova
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

This was such a great piece! Literary Places is one of those few books that I've read as an e-book and would be more than happy to buy as a hardcopy, as well.

Let's start with the title, though, "Inspired Traveller's Guide". I peeked at the worse reviews on Goodreads and realized that the majority of people who rated this book with 3 or less stars did so because they felt mislead by the title. If you're expecting a lengthy novel which you can use step
Calzean
A nice little book that provides a summary of 25 major fictional books and describes the location, era and the author's link to the setting. There's 2-3 pages of text an 2-3 pages of illustrations for each book. Initially the artwork didn't grab me but gradually I could see that it worked.
This book provides a nice intro into the "famous" novels and is what it is - a bit of a traveller's guide into various locations throughout the world.
eyes.2c
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Truly great writers recreate not only locations but also eras and histories."

If you have a literary bent and are contemplating travel this is a fascinating book. Even if your not venturing to far flung place, this gem of a book will allow loads of armchair traveling.
Twenty-five locations were chosen from St Petersburg in Russia to Saigon in Vietnam and places both north and south of the equator and around the globe encompassing longitudes from England to Chile.
I grappled with artist's impressi
Clare O'Beara
The tautology of describing a character as "Naïve ingénue Lucy", and mixing up Joyce's 'Ulysses' with his 'Finnegans Wake' - it's the latter which is considered the most unreadable book in literature - as well as the confusion between interred and interned, mean that this book could probably have benefited from an editor.

The concept is alluring; pick 25 of the cities or other places represented in world literature and describe how we can return to the scenes of the books. Paris of Victor Hugo w
Tripfiction
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: world
Top titles to fuel your armchair travel!

The author wonderfully brings together a collection of literary places, featuring 25 selected books, set all around the world. The settings in the chosen titles are absolutely characters in their own right.

“Writers build places… destinations you can find on a map. And sometimes they manage to make those real places feel more real than any photo ever could. They render locations large in mere ink, perfectly capturing their sights, sounds, smells and essence
Rebecca Reviews
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Sarah Baxter’s Literary Places is an interesting and easy read that takes you to famous literary locations and the novels that immortalized them. Each concise entry is accompanied by Amy Grimes’ charming full-colour illustrations. However, I wish that there was much more diversity because Baxter mostly focused on Europe and North America. Moreover, if you’re hoping for more details and want a more traditional travel guide, this isn’t the book for you.

The book takes you through twenty-five place
Zulfiya
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite type of travelogues - it took me to places I read about. They are both real and fictional, and even after so many years, they are still tantalizing and I would like to revisit them again in books and maybe visit some places in person.

Of course, it is a very travelogue-ey book with the vocabulary more exquisite than food in posh restaurants with the words of "doldrum", "somnolence" and other similar ones that are peppered all over the book. Well, it is intended for literature
Kristin
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The idea behind this book is fantastic, and I thought it was executed pretty well. The illustrations were stunning, and I loved learning more about the history behind some classics works and the cities they are set in. It is evident that the author has a passion for both travel and for books. I plan on buying myself a finished copy because it is such a beautiful book and will make for a great conversation starter. I was so happy and surprised to see that my favourite book, Cannery Row, made an a ...more
Steff Fox
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, arcs, educational
| Reader Fox Blog |

If you're looking for a book that will describe, in flowery detail, what various areas which books of the past have been set in are like, then this is likely a very good book for you. If you're looking, instead, for a book that will guide you through the masterfully captured worlds of novels by authors from Victor Hugo to Emily Brontë, the sort of book that will allow readers to immerse themselves within the world of the books they know and love as they visit the very set
Tahlia
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a lovely, well illustrated little book that would make a great gift for any literary or travel lover in your life. Detailing classics such as Wuthering Heights and Oliver Twist, as well as modern classics like The Kite Runner. I found some fabulous new places to add to my travel bucket list, as well as some new-found books to add to my TBR.

Would have loved if there was just a bit more detail about each book/place to visit and maybe some formatted highlights to make it easier to pick
Teddy
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
‘Literary Places’ is a richly illustrated guide for literary travel. That is, travel for book lovers. It only provides short descriptions/short stories about the places you can visit. So I think it is a good introduction to literary travel but I would certainly want to read a more in depth travel book or articles to plan an actual trip.

I think ‘Literary Places’ would make a great gift for literature lovers, as well as art lovers and would also make a handsome coffee table book.
Ann T
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Quatro - White Lion Publishing and Netgalley for this ARC.

The perfect combination for booklovers whetting their wanderlust A beautifully illustrated book that takes the reader around the globe and explores lots of different sites through the eyes of well known authors.

I loved the colour illustrations and reading about places I hadn’t heard of or learning something new about those I did.
A lovely gift as either a coffee table book or a companion to get cosy with as you curl up and enjo
Kelly
Literary Places: Inspired Traveller’s Guide by Sarah Baxter, illustrated by Amy Grimes

White Lion Publishing
Nonfiction, travel
March 5, 2019
Rating: 5/5

I received this digital ARC from NetGalley and White Lion Publishing in exchange for an unbiased review.

A great story allows the reader to travel in time to places that only exist in our imagination. This book focuses on 25 great literary places around the world. Each chapter uniquely illustrated provides a reflection hoping to transport you to thos
Seema Rao
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well-researched ~ Alluring ~ Intriguing

tl;dr: Pictures of the places you loved from books.

I had no idea that I needed this book in my life. The author has short text discussing places and one iconic book in that location, like Cannery Row and Monterey. Baxter pairs these with richly colored illustrations of these places. Monterey, for example, is chocked full of commercialism these days, with Steinbeck's California long gone. I had no idea how much I wanted to see his Moneterey. Looking at the i
Linda Smith
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Being winter weary, this book appealed to me. The promise of pictures of favorite literary locales with background info was intriguing.
Perhaps my expectations were too high because this book is simply okay. The pictures weren't what I had expected. The stories about the locations were somewhat interesting.
It is an interesting idea for a book though.
I received an Advance Review Copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
Mandy
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a pleasant enough little book and would make an ideal present for a bibliophile friend, but it felt very lacking in substance to me. 25 literary places associated with 25 writers – an interesting premise, but each is only sketched out in a couple of pages, and although the illustrations are charming, I would have much preferred actual photographs and maps. There are a plethora of books about writers and places and I don’t feel this one adds anything to the genre.
Nicki Markus
Literary Places is a travel guide with a booklover's twist, highlighting some key literary destinations around the world. I enjoyed the different chapters, with their pretty illustrations and overview of each book's key locations. In some cases you can follow a precise tour through scenes from the novel. In others, there are suggestions based on scholarly belief as to which buildings and places were the author's source of inspiration. And this book is about inspiration rather than planning. If y ...more
Amit Verma
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This nice small book is written by travel writer Sarah baxter.

This covers 25 great books and real or hypothetical places in which they take place or are written.
All books are masterpieces by great authors and many are nobel prize winners.
There are wonderful illustrations by Amy Grimes which are soulful and soothing to eyes.
There are lots of interesting stories when you flip through pages of the book and majority of main authors from different continents are covered except from china and Japan
Lisa
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you love to travel, and your itinerary always includes Bookish Moments then you too will probably feel as if this book has been written just for you.
The concept is simple: travel writer Sarah Baxter who is obviously also a Bookish Person, has selected 25 well-known books and then written 2-3 seductively bookish pages about the destinations that form the settings. So there are portraits of places that I’ve visited, where I’ve sought out Bookish Moments from my reading: the Dublin of James Joyc
Kristin
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I would like to thank netgalley and Quarto Publishing Group - White Lion Publishing for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Highly enjoyable, this book takes you through the real life places that have inspired so many great authors, from Jane Austens' Bath tho Charles Dickins' London. I really like that it gives you real places to go to that were either featured in the novel or visited by the author, it would be handy to carry on journeys. The illustrations are stunning.
Jo
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s a short book with description of famous places in literature. Great for someone who absolutely loves reading about certain books. I’ve only read a few of the books that are mentioned in this book.

Covers Les Mis, Ulysses, A Room with a View, Crime and Punishment, Wuthering Heights, The Kite Runner, To Kill a Mockingbird — and more!

A great guide for someone who is familiar with most of the literary locations. I am only familiar with a handful.
Steffy
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I love literature, I love travel. This book has both of it. What a lovely combination! I've read one fifth of the books mentioned, and one fifth of the places I've actually been to. Since I know nothing about some of the books, I liked that the author introduced us to the story, summing up the plot and describing the spots and scenes important for the book.

The structure was okay. Considering that this book also comes with accompanying illustrations, the layout had a boring design. (Sorry, Design
Sascha
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2

My issue with reading Literary Places by Sarah Baxter with captivating illustrations by Amy Grimes via my electronic reader is that I feel like I’ve missed out a bit on something magical that an e-reader can only minimally convey. First off, Amy Grimes’ illustrations fascinate me. At first glance, they look minimalistic, but there’s something about them, some magical quality that makes me want to continue looking at them.

These illustrations offer a viewpoint of Sarah Baxter’s frequently poe
Camille
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The premise of the book really attracted me, but I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed by it. Now, it was an enjoyable read, don't get me wrong, but I think I had higher expectations. "Literary Places" is what I would call a coffee table book - you can pick it up, enjoy reading a couple of pages, and put it down again.
I thought it would be bigger. Each chapter focuses on a well-known novel and its location(s), and gives you a general run down of how the novel relates to its settings. It does
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Ikigai. Il metodo giapponese: trovare il senso della vita per essere felici
  • Sortilegi
  • Accidentally Wes Anderson
  • Happily Ever After & Everything In Between
  • Ada Lovelace (Little People, Big Dreams, #10)
  • Confessions of a Teen Sleuth
  • How to Know If Someone is Worth Pursuing in Two Dates or Less
  • The Dance of Intimacy: A Woman's Guide to Courageous Acts of Change in Key Relationships
  • La traduzione specializzata
  • Pianos and Flowers: Brief Encounters of the Romantic Kind
  • Homeland Elegies
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • Kawaii Origami: Super Cute Origami Projects for Easy Folding Fun
  • The Last Wife
  • The Dancing Girls (Detective Jo Fournier, #1)
  • Hill Women: Finding Family and a Way Forward in the Appalachian Mountains
  • Stephen Hawking (Pequeño & GRANDE, #2)
  • Ella Fitzgerald
Art
See top shelves…
Sarah Baxter is a writer, book author and editor specialising in travel, adventure, history and the great outdoors. In the name of exploration, she's climbed Kilimanjaro, snorkelled with killer whales, eaten sheep's brain, walked on the wings of a bi-plane, descended into an Icelandic volcano, learned to salsa in Barcelona and much, much more. Formerly deputy editor at Wanderlust travel magazine, ...more