Start by marking “This Much Country” as Want to Read:
This Much Country

This Much Country

A memoir of heartbreak, thousand-mile races, the endless Alaskan wilderness and many, many dogs from one of only a handful of women to have completed both the Yukon Quest and the Iditarod.

In 2009, after a crippling divorce that left her heartbroken and directionless, Kristin decided to accept an offer to live at a friend's cabin outside of Denali National Park in Alaska
Published March 5th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about This Much Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Much Country

Start your review of This Much Country
Lori
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, vine, own
Kristin Knight Pace is my new superhero. She's a remarkable person and her memoir is inspiring and uplifting. There ought to be a line of KNP action-hero figures; I'd have one on my desk now. She's a true heroine, not one out of a Disney film, a real person who girls and boys and everyone older can look up to, admire and learn from, as she has spent her life learning everything she can from anyone she can. She is not a saint. She is a revelation.

So many memoirs by "regular" people focus on
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alaska
This Much Country! Alaska! Have you been?

I have, and it's my favorite place I've traveled. I'd go back in an instant. The last frontier brought out a sense of adventure I had no idea I possessed.

This Much Country is an exciting and adventurous memoir that reads like fiction. Kristin Knight Pace goes through an emotional divorce and decides to live in a cabin outside Denali National Park, taking care of her friend's sled dogs for a few months.

She survived the winter and found herself, an
Matt Pace
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t pretend to be objective here, the author is my sister in law and most of the characters are my canine nieces and nephews and I love all of them and this book.
Katelyn
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alaska
I fell right into Knight Pace's honest memoir of her 20s and 30s. This is her fascinating story of finding her way to Alaska, getting into dog mushing and finding love. She has completed the two 1,000 mile dog sled races: the Yukon Quest and the Iditarod. I knew these were feats, but I had no idea how incredible until I read her accounts of what she went through on the trails. Her degree is in journalism, so this is very readable. I read this in two days, feeling cozy in my warm Minnesota house ...more
Kate
4.5 stars rounded up. This one really captivated me. Sometimes I found the language a bit flowery and dramatic (but that’s probably my black cynical heart talking) but otherwise I was completely swept up in this memoir, and I ugly cried (more than once!). Highly recommend.
Taylor (BiblioTay)
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book has me so emotional.

I immediately liked Kristin and found her experiences so interesting. From trail building in Montana to house/dog sitting in Alaska. Its a dream of mine to visit Alaska (a place so different than my sweltering Georgia home) and Kristin really brings you there to the brutal beauty. Not to mention the absolute love and connection she makes you feel for the beautiful dogs.

While reading I actually went online to look at Hey Moose! Kennels website to see pictures of the
Lara
So good! I mean, I was kind of bound to like this one.

Great descriptions of the Alaska wilderness and what it’s like to run two 1000 mile dogsled races, the Yukon Quest and the Iditarod. And just...a lot about dogs and how wonderful and amazing they are, and also how they’re total assholes sometimes.

My only complaint is that it completely broke my heart (view spoiler)
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is so good, very reminiscent of Wild and reading it you realize what a person is capable of, what the body can endure if your mind is determined. I said to a waitress today as I was reading this at brunch and she asked me, that people are crazy! But still, to finish the Iditarod is just incredible and she has such a beautiful way of writing about it and everything that led her to that point.
Sarah Frey
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: reading female-perspective adventure memoirs hit me like nothing else. And Pace's debut is no exception.

The reason for my obsession with this genre isn't just because of the delicately descriptive language used to bring you into her world, or the pulse-quickening adventure. It's about why we push ourselves, where we find our peace, and the answers that we're all just so desperately searching for. It's about overcoming the inevitable pain of heartache
Kate (kate_reads_)
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading about experiences I will never choose to have - whether it’s a female cab driver in Manhattan, a group of kids on the intense science fair circuit or in this case - a woman living in remote Alaska and competing in 1,000 mile long sled dog races.

I am not outdoorsy and the idea of living in remote Alaska with no electricity and 2 hours from the nearest store is totally foreign to me. The closest I will come is reading this book - while snuggled under a cozy blanket on my cozy couch
Jeanne
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
When it is 90 degrees outside and too hot to sleep, I enjoy reading books about surviving in the winter in Alaska.
Charlee Cramer
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrill, adventure, STRENGTH

The suspense almost killed me, this book was well written and I felt like I was right there on the dog sled myself. Full of emotion, and strength, makes me want to pack up and move to Alaska right now. I would recommend this to any thrill seeker.
Liz
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought I knew something about living in the cold, snowy northland...nope.
I thought I knew something about living with husky dogs...nope.
I thought I knew something about the pain and suffering of endurance sports...nope.
This book reveals so many levels beyond what I thought I knew. Wow.
Michelle Schwarzin
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished This Much Country. It was hard to put down. I laughed, I cried, I was amazed at the courage of distance dog mushers as I ever shall be. Kristin Knight Pace writes like she's telling her story to an old friend. This one is well worth reading.
Mary Ellen Barringer
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, I don't know how this book ended up on my list, but I'm grateful that it did. The author was a writer before she became a musher and this story is beautifully described and detailed.

I am neither a lover of dogs or cold weather, yet I was mesmerized by Kristin's adventures. This book does what I love most, it takes me to a new place and allows me to live there.
Ariel
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, this book.

We ALL know better than to read books about dogs, right? I mean, we learned that the hard way in elementary school when we read "Where the Red Fern Grows," right? But we just can't help ourselves.

When I was a kid, I think I read "Woodsong," by Gary Paulsen, (a young-adult story about his experiences running the Iditarod) at least a dozen times. I also had a math teacher who was fascinated by the race and used it in her teaching. It's one of those things (like the word "pail")
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This resonated with me on several levels -- Pace's story about love, heartbreak, and love again demonstrates her resilience, her willingness to push beyond her comfort zone is inspiring, and the exquisite writing about the beauty, ruggedness, and isolation of Alaska is breathtaking. I loved reading about her connection with her dogs and her experiences running her sled teams in the Yukon Race and the Iditarod.
Ashley Cox
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
“All that lonesome time on the trail was everything a lifetime could throw at me - heartbreak, defeat, exhaustion, injury, failure, but it was also renewal, disbelief, beauty beyond imagining.” ...more
Sierra
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book on Audio as it was narrated by the actual author herself! Such an amazing story and a great writer! Kristin writes her story in all it's raw and beauty for us in a way that made you feel as though you were right there with her.

In 2009 Kristin went through a divorce that left her in pieces. She decides to accept an offer to live at a friend's cabin outside of Denali National Park in Alaska for a few months. In exchange for housing, she would take care of her friend's eight
Katya Zablocki
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Like so many people (I assume), I always thought that writing related to Alaska/sled dogs/Yukon, etc., was really interesting because of Jack London’s writing. Naturally, I leapt at the chance to read this when I saw it in my library’s new section.

This is a delightful read, from start to finish, because KKP’s writing is engaging. She makes the story of her life (or at least the highlights?) easy and entertaining to read. Of course, there was a section where I bawled my eyes out because of how
Dawn O. | Left Coast Reader
A huge thank you to Forever & Grand Central Publishing for putting this book in my hands!

An outstanding memoir! I am enamoured by life in Alaska because it couldn't be further from the life I live - it's vast, extreme, unforgiving, and not for the faint of heart. Toss in a fearless woman who trains for the ultimate dog sled races; the Iditarod and the 1,000 mile Yukon Quest and every single reader will get a charge out of THIS MUCH COUNTRY.

Pace grew up an adventurous child surrounded by
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, 2019, adult, memoirs, alaska
The author is a hell of a woman. She grew up going to outdoor camps, and made a pretty big mistake when she ran off right out of high school to marry an older man in Montana. When they divorced, her heart was broken, but by then she knew even more about living on her own in the mountains. She decides to "run away" to Alaska, and falls in love with everything about it--being alone, the close friendships with neighbors, the scenery, and the sled dogs. I love a great sled dog memoir, and this is a ...more
Cassie Gutman (happybooklovers)
~3.5 stars~

Very much enjoyed this memoir of a woman who moved to Alaska and fell in love with mushing sled dogs. Emotional connection to her dogs was a big part of the story that I enjoyed, and it was well told, as we followed her on her training journey through several big races and life moments.

Great for cold-weather reading, readers looking for women in sports books, and those looking to read about someone starting something new.
Victoria Bolander
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
My earliest memories R of Alberta Canada - the cold winters - one memory my mother would not let us walk the 2 miles to school - it was -60 F, the look & sound of the Northern lights. Life was not so “wild” as Kristin records but there were similarities. An engaging story for those of us who cam relate to the wisdom of dogs & the animal kingdom as well as the challenges of depending on ones own inventiveness & ones interdependence with ones neighbors.
Peggy Dewane-Pope
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book captures the joy and passion Kristin feels for nature, hard work, her people and her dogs. Having watched the start of the Yukon Quest in Fairbanks in 2016 quite by chance her book helps me understand what amazing athletes mushers and their dogs are. I loved traveling with her from the lower 48 up to Alaska to follow her tale of hard work, sweat equity, perseverance and return on investment. Her love for her dogs and the care mushers give their dogs brought me such happiness. So ...more
Deborah
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an adventure it was to read this book! The author made me feel like I was right there beside her in the sled being pulled through the Alaskan wilderness by a team of spirited dogs, running the Yukon Quest from the comfort of my couch.

I am in awe of this young woman and all she has dared to accomplish. What a shame this book had to end. I hope Kristin Knight Pace will update us on her Alaskan life with another book in years to come.
Sharon
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I gobbled this book up faster than a hungry sled dog. At one point I sobbed on an airplane after one of the dogs died. This book was fascinating from the first page. The backdrop of the Alaskan lifestyle was intriguing, the dogs were absolute miracles, and the adventures were spellbinding. I cannot even express how much I loved this book. I literally read it in 24 hours.
April
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. Put into words so many of my feelings about Alaska, & life in general. Sad to have finished it, because I feel like I'm saying goodbye to new friends who have encouraged me on my own adventure.
Katie Martin
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want to put it down!
Roxane
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I’ll be careful with your heart.” That sums it up.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please update new book cover 3 22 Dec 19, 2018 03:51PM

• The Sun Is a Compass: A 4,000-Mile Journey into the Alaskan Wilds
  • Rough Magic: Riding the World's Loneliest Horse Race
  • Fast into the Night: A Woman, Her Dogs, and Their Journey North on the Iditarod Trail
  • Deep Creek: Finding Hope in the High Country
  • Running Home
  • Welcome to the Goddamn Ice Cube: Chasing Fear and Finding Home in the Great White North
  • Big Sister, Little Sister, Red Sister: Three Women at the Heart of Twentieth-Century China
  • Thirst: 2600 Miles to Home
  • It Happened Like This: A Life in Alaska
  • On Call in the Arctic: A Doctor's Pursuit of Life, Love, and Miracles in the Alaskan Frontier
  • Into the Jungle
  • Seven at Sea: Why a New York City Family Cast Off Convention for a Life-Changing Year on a Sailboat
  • Into the Planet: My Life as a Cave Diver
  • One Day: The Extraordinary Story of an Ordinary 24 Hours in America
  • Life Undercover: Coming of Age in the CIA
  • The Rise of Wolf 8: Witnessing the Triumph of Yellowstone's Underdog
  • Rough Beauty: Forty Seasons of Mountain Living
  • Wild Life: Dispatches from a Childhood of Baboons and Button-Downs
Kristin Knight Pace, 35, was born and raised in Ft. Worth, TX. After graduating with honors from The University of Montana with a degree in photojournalism, she had several jobs in the publishing industry in Montana and Seattle. After a heartbreaking divorce, she moved to Alaska in 2009 with her two dogs. That winter, she took care of a sled dog team and a remote cabin in the Alaska Interior. She ...more
“she shared with me her most hard-earned pearl of wisdom. She told me to make sure that whatever I chose to do in life, I could do it by myself.” 2 likes
“Later in life I would realize that all of the most badass things I had ever done required an early start, no decipherable sleep, and the jolt of adrenaline that came with knowing I was about to do something big.” 0 likes