Start by marking “Eat to Beat Disease: The New Science of How Your Body Can Heal Itself” as Want to Read:
Eat to Beat Disease: The New Science of How Your Body Can Heal Itself

Eat to Beat Disease: The New Science of How Your Body Can Heal Itself

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
Is your diet feeding or defeating disease?

Forget everything you think you know about your body and food, and discover the new science of how the body heals itself. Learn how to identify the strategies and the dosages for using food to transform your resilience and health in EAT TO BEAT DISEASE.

We have radically underestimated our body's power
Published March 19th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

Start your review of Eat to Beat Disease: The New Science of How Your Body Can Heal Itself
Susan McGrath
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an Advance Reading Copy of Eat to Beat Disease by William W. Li, MD from the publisher (Grand Central Life and Style) in exchange for an honest review. Eat to Beat Disease is scheduled for release on March 19, 2019.

This is a nonfiction, health and wellness book. Dr. Li presents wellness as the sum of five parts: Angiogenesis, Regeneration, Microbiome, DNA Protection, and Immunity. He discusses these five factors of wellness, focusing on the role diet plays in each.

Later chapters go
Aisling
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A life-changing book. Even if you consider yourself savvy about nutrition--buy this book. If you know nothing--buy this book. If you are facing a disease or want to avoid them--buy this book. I often pass on books to friends or relatives but this one I am keeping and advising everyone else to get their own copy. I swear I do not know Dr. Li nor am I making a commission, I just feel very strongly that this book can revolutionize your life.

This book is a time commitment, but the pay-off is
Sharon Huether
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Doctor explains the 5 defense systems in your body
5 disease fighting foods
5 times a day.
These lists are long, of what to incorporate into your daily meals.
Some things were very new to me; such as Tomatoes cooked in Olive oil.
Stone fruits are the best for you.
Tillapia is not the best fish for you to eat.
Beer or wine once a day is good for you.
Dark chocolate is a must once a day.
This book explains the science of healing and prevention.
I won this Free book through Goodreads first reads.
Matthew
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
The most helpful part of this book is the recommended system for including healthy foods into your diet. My discomfort comes from what I believe is an undue reliance on epidemiological nutrition studies. They have to be taken with more than a grain of salt, because at best, they only show a correlation, not causation (which is implied throughout the book). The 'new' science isn't that new. If you're interested in the book, I suggest skimming it for the recommended foods and reading the section ...more
Liz
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a broke-ass version of Dr. Michael Greger’s How Not to Die. Li’s book is chaotic and often contradictory to appease the masses. How he can responsibly recommend cured meats because the animals were fed acorns is beyond me. He then reminds readers that the WHO notes processed meats are a carcinogen before once again touting the “healthy fat” in the chestnut- and acorn-fed Italian and Spanish pigs. Ridiculous. He’s only placating an already gluttonous populous by recommending ham, beer, ...more
Jacqueline (We Be Book'N)
This book brought nothing new to the table. Maybe its because I read a lot of health books, but I knew pretty much everything that was talked about in this book. It left a bad taste in my mouth when he kept forcing his opinion of why you should eat soy. Literally, he was saying soy would cure everything, and I know that its not true.
This book was mostly just a list of foods that have been shown to keep you healthy - things we already know, like dark chocolate, olive oil, fish, etc.

I took the
M.T. DeSantis
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Excellent stuff. The studies and information presented here match a lot of other reading I've done on the subject of eating for health. I can also point to dietary changes I've made and the effects they've had that match ones discussed in this book. I always recommend making better food choices, but I also really do suggest giving this a try. The author does not impose eating restrictions. Rather, he discusses foods that help to promote strengthening the body's natural defense mechanisms and ...more
Linda Donohue
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways-read, own
The author presents common sense eating! The book is well researched and presented simply to consume foods to help heal oneself. Additionally, eating a balanced diet from the food lists to maintain health. This is an excellent reference book for the health benefits of the individual foods. This is one book that should be in your personal health library. I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway and I thank the author and publisher for proving me this book to review.
Peggy
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I could afford to buy a copy for every person I know I would. Dr. Li presents information about the healing properties of different types of foods and what they do. He never tells you how to eat. He presents the science in a clear and easy to understand way. Even better he shows you how to do research for yourself as well!
Sue
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway. Thanks for your generosity!

I enjoyed this book, and appreciate the amount of research put into it. While I had read many of the "tips" before from multiple sources, it was nice to have it all in one place. It's also a lot of common sense - eat fresh foods over processed, eat more plants...

I was happy to see some recipes in the book, many with surprising combinations that I wouldn't have tried without guidance. I like that the author is more about
Megan
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I was really excited about the concept, but the book was twice as long as necessary, extremely repetitive, and repeated typical talking points like "rah rah whole grains, soy is a health food, cholesterol is evil, saturated fat is evil" and even touts commercial fruit juices without any caveats whatsoever!

Overall, extremely biased with a few interesting tidbits--and these were so few and far between that I felt like I was reading 300 pages to get 1/10th of the story. Read Jonny Bowden instead:
Jovana Đermanović
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I wish there were more specifics about how the body could actually heal itself through food, depending on which illness one is suffering from. Doctors will never agree on nutrition guidelines, so when Dr. Li makes the claim that red wine is one of the top anti-cancer foods, I have to take it with a grain of salt as I've seen other doctors say all alcohol is "bad," including red wine. With my current health condition, any type of alcohol will make me sick so I don't see any of these tips as a ...more
Wulfwyn
There is a lot of information in this book. The good thing is that it was written so that I could understand it. There have been books on nutrition and it’s effects on disease and the body that we’re good but difficult to get through. I didn’t have that problem with this book. The author did a good job explaining things without forcing me to look up every other word. Considering the fact the first portion of this book will have you feeling like you are in school, I was very happy to see this.
I
Deb
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Helped me to further understand that our food is our most important medicine. Great combination of examples and recipes combined with very scientific details, which I like! I want to understand the ins and outs of things and this book does that. I would highly recommend for anyone who is trying to learn more about their own personal health journey or even medical professionals who integrate nutrition into their patients' health plans.
Sasha
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
First I would like to state that I have received this book through the Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank the author for giving me this opportunity and honor in being able to read this book. When I received this book I began reading it at once. This book was an interesting read. It could be a life-changing book. Even if you consider yourself savvy about nutrition. This book is a time commitment, but pay-off could be priceless.
Jessie
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Very informative book which makes sense. I appreciated how the science behind this theory was clear. It provides information that the reader can practically use as a stepping stone to health. I like the concept of defending your health, after all that’s what we should all aim for on a daily basis.
Stephan
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great resource to begin healthy eating. I especially love the break down to what foods help you avoid the chronic illnesses most come down with or are diagnosed with in their later years. This book also contains a number of recipes in the back portion.

A great read.
Jane
I want to thank William W. Li, author and Goodreads First Reads Giveaway for my copy of Eat to Beat Disease: The New Science of How Your Body Can Heal Itself that I won in the Giveaway.

I found the positive approach of recommending foods to help rather than ones to avoid extremely helpful. The lists of foods to keep in our diet is broad and should be easy to eat on a regular basis (many we already eat each week). The explanations used many unfamiliar terms but the further I read the more I could
Sam
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's definitely the start of something good.

Dr. Li definitely did his research for this book, however, much of the research presented consisted of studies conducted on mice or human groups of less than 100 participants, which calls into question the validity of the study and it's ability to be replicated. Additionally, the sheer amount one would have to eat of a specific food in order to obtain the benefits described in this book might not be feasible for an average person. Nor should such an
Linda
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has inspired me to change my eating habits and I'm truly choosing foods for my health. The author is very detailed in describing the research, but this is exactly what makes it so convincing. Some parts didn't hold my attention, but you can use it as a resource rather than read it from cover to cover if you prefer.
Sara Best
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, own
Eat to Beat Disease is a very interesting and practical book. The science is well documented and explained in term the laymen can understand. The basic premise of the book is specific foods can be eaten which enhance five components of health; angiogenesis (growth of new blood vessels), regeneration, the microbiome (the bacteria in our bodies), DNA protection, and immunity. The basic application proposed is to be intentional about adding foods to your diet daily which contribute to each of the ...more
Sophie Rayton
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was quite heavy. The author is trying to make it accessible to the average reader and I'd say he accomplished it somewhat but it was still rather dense. Considering the content, I felt like the title should have been changed to 'The benefits of bacteria in our microbiome' - but I can see that 'Eat to Beat Disease' is more catchy.
Michelle Pulignani
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great information.
C
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good information on science, foods to eat for certain conditions, recipes, etc.
Jeanette
Amy
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great resource of such an important topic of your own health! This goes through all of the scientific studies if you need to know exactly what health benefits were found and with what foods, and how food compares to some of the best pharmaceutical drugs out there. Why would you want side effects and the cost of the medications, if you could simply start eating your way to health one day at a time with his 5 X 5 X 5 plan? There is some repetition in the book, but I believe that was put in place ...more
Denise
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As I've gotten older and have experienced various new health issues cropping up, I've become more interested in how to prevent and heal disease. Eat to Beat Disease is exactly the book I've been looking for -- especially the information on foods which help the body to heal itself or to function better. I will be referring back to it often.
Eric Milletich
Jan 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
Hello, everyone. Just a simple folk here. I saw Dr. Li on a cooking show, where a few healthy dishes were made, and when adding each ingredient he explained how it helps beat cancer, cure inflammation, counter disease, basically, cure everything.
Immediately did a Google, found an inexpensive version and bought the book thinking it would be a cookbook with some science. It is actually a science textbook, with about 30 recipes in it's 465 pages. I could accept that as he does list and chart very
Mike
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I am always looking for books on health, where I can learn something new & incorporate it into my daily routine. This is one such book.

Food is one of the four pillars of good health (others being sleep, exercise and social interaction). It is through diet that we can either harm or help ourselves. Good or bad diet can take us small steps towards disease or away from it.

That is the premise of this book. The author’s point of view is that of angiogenesis, the building out and parring back of
Lori
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nutrition-read
I received a free advanced copy of this book from a goodreads giveaway.

There were so many things I loved about this book. I found myself quoting some of the information. I loved all the research and and the multiple sources for information, but I am a Nutrition geek, who after all my studying, is finally working on a Holistic Nutritionist Certification. I NEED all that evidence. I also loved the lists of foods, even if long. I like that it is a list to choose from and go back to over and over
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Graze: Inspiration for Small Plates and Meandering Meals
  • The Blue Zones Kitchen: 100 Recipes to Live to 100
  • The Longevity Paradox: How to Die Young at a Ripe Old Age
  • Hungry Girl Clean & Hungry OBSESSED!
  • Plenty More: Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London's Ottolenghi
  • What to Eat When: A Strategic Plan to Improve Your Health and Life Through Food
  • Undo It!: How Simple Lifestyle Changes Can Reverse Most Chronic Diseases
  • Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life
  • Carla Hall's Soul Food: Everyday and Celebration
  • 31-Day Food Revolution: Heal Your Body, Feel Great, and Transform Your World
  • Kitchen Yarns: Notes on Life, Love, and Food
  • The Plant-Based Solution: A Vegan Cardiologist's Plan to Save Your Life and the Planet
  • The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs
  • Chicken Recipes (Easy Chicken Recipes): Delicious and Easy Chicken Recipes (Baked Chicken, Grilled Chicken, Fried Chicken, and MORE!) (Quick and Easy Cooking Series)
  • The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
  • Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
  • Five Ingredient Cookbook: Easy Recipes in 5 Ingredients or Less (Five Ingredient Cooking Series Book 1)
  • The Moosewood Cookbook: Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Ithaca, New York
“More than thirty studies have shown the protective effect of tomato consumption on prostate cancer.17 The Harvard Health Professionals Follow-Up Study examined 46,719 men for lycopene intake and found that consuming two to three cups of tomato sauce per week is associated with a 30 percent decreased risk of prostate cancer, which is consistent with the antiangiogenic effect of lycopene on cancer.18 In the men who did develop prostate cancer, those who ate more tomato sauce were found to have less angiogenic and less aggressive cancers.19 More than one thousand cultivars of tomatoes exist, and the amount of lycopene in each varies greatly.” 2 likes
“that breastfeeding improved the length of telomeres in the child. In a group of 121 children, those who were exclusively breastfed when they were infants had longer telomeres by the time they were of preschool age (four to five years old) compared to children who were formula fed.27 This shows the durability of the telomere effect—that the benefits of breastfeeding remain years after a child is weaned and eating solid food.” 1 likes