Start by marking “There Are Girls like Lions” as Want to Read:
There Are Girls like Lions

There Are Girls like Lions

For mothers, daughters, sisters, wives, partners, and friends, here are 30 stirring poems about the experience of being a woman. Rousing and empowering, There Are Girls like Lions is a celebration of womanhood in all its dimensions, including love, beauty, friendship, motherhood, work, aging, and much more. Packaged in an attractive case with foil stamping and featuring st ...more
Published March 5th 2019 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about There Are Girls like Lions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Are Girls like Lions

Emma
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was ok

I was so happy to have the chance to read a collection of poems about the experience of being a woman. Unfortunately this collection did disappoint me. To me it felt like the poems were just thrown in there without really having a real thread amongst them.
The illustrations were really nice.
Arybo ✨
2.75 💫

It was a long time since I read a poetry book and this one helps me to return to this beautiful world of words and imagery. I didnt't understand all the poems, just because I'm from a different backround than that of the authors, maybe, but I understand their powers. The poetry the book is named from is really powerful and intense. and I totally recommend it. I love images created with words and if they have a positive thought behind is even better. There were some poems from the past, lik
Konstantin
Nov 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Not going to finish it. This started off as well-imagined, but overall it was just bland, felt repetitive and too reminiscent of all the similar books I've read over the years - not at all original in its premise or in the choice of 'poetry' (some of it felt like random Wattpad entries).

Nothing to make this one stand out, sadly. A few good authors (e.g. Margaret Atwood), but overall none that leave some kind of a lasting impression. Also, I thought that the thread connecting the poems would be
Dora  (Swift Coffee Book Blog)
I have to admit that I don't really have much to say about this collection of poetry. I thought I was going to love it (actually, I thought this was going to be the one I would love the most of these three here), but it somehow couldn't reach me. There were good and less good poems in it, none of them really bad, honestly - but there were none that left a lingering impression or thoughts to think about later... and that would be the point of poetry, right? I don't say it's the poems, it might be ...more
Renee (The B-Roll)
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would 100% recommend this for anyone to read, especially women.  The foreword to this book, written by a contributing poet, is a very intriguing and powerful short piece.  It discusses, loosely, some of the feminism movements in the United States and how they have had an affect on the lives of women as they were happening, as well as today.  Sometimes, it is just nice to read about the power of women to reacquaint oneself with the power we hold.  Many of the poems collected in this book do jus ...more
Elaine
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, poetry, 3-stars
I quite liked this collection of poems about women by women. Of course I liked some poems more than others but that is to be expected with poems varying one from another so much. Some of them were really inspiring and I really enjoyed them. It is a highly emotional and impacting read, and I am certain that many of these poems will resonate with a great many people. But overall I wanted to like this book of poems a bit more than I actually did. For me, it wasn't anything amazing and I didn't exac ...more
Rebecca (Coffeebooksandjournals)
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

I was excited to read this at first, but this was a bit of a disappointment it just seemed like they chose random poems to put in there. I wish they flowed together better then they did. I had high hopes for this. I did enjoy the illustrations though. I gave this a two out of five stars.
Beth
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this small collection of poems by women - from ancient Sappho to modern-day Warsan Shire - about being women. The accompanying artwork was gorgeous. My one complaint: it's too short! There are way more women poets and poems that deserve to shine alongside these gems!

*Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC, provided by the author and/or the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
An ARC ebook copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a really round book, carefully crafted. I was delighted reading the introduction - seeing in the real world all the feminist theories I am currently studying at uni - and I really enjoyed reading the poems. I was particularly excited to be reading poems by certain writers like Margaret Atwood, Gertrude Stein and Sandra Cisneros because I already had heard of them, although later it
Rebecca L.
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful collection is designed for those who can appreciate the art poetry in all of its manifestations.

These poems are deep and complex. I was delighted to see some of my old favorites such as Mary Oliver, Margaret Atwood, and Emily Dickinson alongside other female poets who were new to me.

The collection begins with a fascinating essay that traces the the roots of feminism. Although I already knew a great deal of the information, the essay in and of itself was poetic and perfectly set
Bianca (theperksofbeingbianca)
Thank you NetGalley for the free copy!

I must admit I only picked this poem collection because there is one by Margaret Atwood. I liked her poem, but I was positively surprised by a handful of other poems. I think my favourite was "Demeter's Cuttings" by Kimiko Hahn.

These poems speak about our experiences as women, what we live on a day to day basis and how we deal with it. We are far from living in a equal world, but I am confident we will get there eventually. Little by little we are adding bat
Lois (thecarrotstories)
Disappointingly not my kind of read~

I’m not sure if I was too shallow to understand the poems or if it was because the poems didn’t really make much sense to me. I did not enjoy it that much although I did find some parts that I could relate to.

It was not a negative experience but I did not truly enjoy it too. Even so, I must give praise to the beautiful illustrations. They definitely captured women uniquely.

I got a copy of this book to review from Chronicle Books through NetGalley.
Dora Okeyo
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a powerful collection on women.
If all else fails and I'm at a loss in giving the appropriate recommendation, dear reader, please read 'Demeter's Cuttings' by Kimiko Hahn in this collection. I promise you, you will be moved.
Thank you Netgalley for the eARC.
Maxine
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of poetry but when I saw There are Girls Like Lions on Netgalley, I loved the cover and the title and I
decided to step outside my wheelhouse and try it. The collection covers many different styles and eras from the ancient Greek poet, Sappho to present day. For the most part, I enjoyed this collection although perhaps because I do not normally read poetry, I admit that some of the poems seemed incomprehensible to me and, to be honest, I liked the illustrations and the forward
Kirsten Tattersall
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2018, arcs
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

"Here are girls who'll play tug o' war
with your heart or your wishbone
Or your throat, oh."

The foreword is an insightful piece on feminism through the years, and I'd recommend reading it. The artwork in this books was so good that it made adobe digital editions crash multiple times.

I love the sheer variety of authors and subjects within this collection. There wasn't really any connection between the poems other than th
Jessica | Booked J
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
As a note, a copy of this novel was sent to me via NetGalley by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinions in any way. Review also found here at Booked J.

While I didn't totally hate There Are Girls like Lions, and found a good few poems to be thought-provoking, new-to-me and powerful, the collection as a whole just didn't work for me. Not completely. I found that the foreward was wonderful, that there were some standouts in prose, but the better portion o
Kimberly
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
The e-Advanced Readers Copy was provided by Chronicle Books and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Receiving this ARC will not affect my review nor my rating.

Poetry is not usually one of my go-to genres. However, I found the premise for this collection of poems intriguing and jumped at the chance to read it. Overall, I found this collection to be a mixture of compelling works and very mediocre or confusing writing. I do feel that these poems stuck to the theme of the celebration of woma
Angie Feliz
I don’t even know how to rate this one; it was disappointing. I thought I was going to love this collection. However, I was quickly disappointed. To begin, the foreword left me a little confused and the poems were not very cohesive. I was very intrigued at the beginning when I read the first poem, but in total, I think I only enjoyed three poems. They were not tied in together like a collection should be and it felt like they had no common purpose.

As I said, I enjoyed some of the poems, those th
Anne Oftedahl
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was ok

I really like the concept, and the artwork was really nice, but I only actually liked 5 of the 28 poems (my favourite being "There Are Girls like Lions")
That's not to say the other poems were bad, they just weren't really for me.
One thing to consider is to not put a full-page artwork in the middle of a poem, as this confused me a few times.
All in all, this was okay, but not really great
Kristin
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
Thanks to the publisher for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have been lax on reading poetry so I jumped at the chance to read a collection of just women poets since the majority of the poetry I've read has been by the "classic" male poets. I really enjoyed this collection and made note of certain poets I want to search out more of. I would recommend this collection to anyone looking to add more poetry to their reading lives or who want to broaden the type of poet
Tahoora Hashmi
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall Rating: 3/5⭐
💭The description had made me have high expectations with its promising words.
💭While some of the poems were absolutely filled with depth and meanings I failed to connect with some of them even or neutral basis (talking about poetry in general)
💭Maybe because some of them were excerpts from another languages and books so a brief background check before every poem would have made the respective poets thoughts more vivid to the reader.
Chelsey
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley, for the advanced copy.

This is a beautiful and diverse collection of poems about being a woman, from female poets from various time periods and regions of the world. I especially appreciate that the color palette chosen is not pink and/or pastel (as most things designated "female" are) but rather bold shades of red, black, and gold. The illustrations are also bold, and feminine in a way that pronounces the strength and resiliency or women. Nicely done!
Kaitlyn
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
*ARC of this book provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review*

The stars of this book were the gorgeous illustrations.

However, as a collection, this did not work for me. Although I enjoyed some individual poems, I struggled to find any sense to the organization of this book. To me, the threads connecting these poems together were loose. It seemed as if they just googled “poems about women” and put them together.

Tamara
I received an advance reader copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The illustrations in the collection were stunning and really added to the work. I found I personally didn't connect with the majority of the poems and found it disappointing that there wasn't more about the modern woman in the modern world ('modern woman' including everyone that identifies as a woman).
Jacqueline Francis
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely collection of poems that can appeal to women of any age, especially in our current society. It details the hardships and happiness, as well as so much more. It is a great collection that many would find joy in. Note that many of these poems are very abstract. If you are looking for something that is clearcut and easily understood, this may not be for you.

I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Georgette
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I suspect that the most remarkable thing about this collection is the theme and the illustrations. It would make a tidy little volume to gift to someone who doesn't typically read poetry or doesn't have any preferences because it reprints or reproduces work already published elsewhere. If you're a seasoned poetry reader, there's nothing new to find except the beautiful colour block illustrations.

ARC courtesy of NetGalley.
Izabelle Westberg
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Unfortunately I only felt connected with a few of the poems. What really kept me going was the illustrations. I guess the theme of the collection gave me too high expectations, but these weren’t met for me.

Thank you NetGalley and Chronicle books for providing a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Sanah
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Such a wonderful collection of work spanning the female experience with love, loss, identity, and self. This collection ties in beautifully with all the poems while maintaining the individuality of each poem. I got this collection from NetGallery and I'm so glad I did!
I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for good collection of poems!
Stevie
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-s, 2019, arcs
This collection is nice. I enjoyed the poems while I was reading them. But now that I'm finished, I can't even recall them.  This book felt less like a colleague more like a handful.  I couldn't find a common thread throughout the series. Although the illustrations were gorgeous, the overall piece was a miss for me.
Dipali
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: feminist, arcs, poetry
** A copy of These are Girls like Lions was provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review **

I had really high expectations from this collection but it was such a disappointment. It would've been so much better if the pieces were tied together and more consistent. There were some bright spots though, especially the art.
Cole Swensen (b. 1955— ) in Kentfield near San Francisco, Swensen was awarded a 2006 Guggenheim Fellowship and is the author of over ten poetry collections and as many translations of works from the French. A translator, editor, copywriter, and teacher, she received her B.A. and M.A. from San Francisco State University and a Ph. D. in Comparative Literature from the University of California, Santa ...more