Start by marking “The Book Hog” as Want to Read:
The Book Hog

The Book Hog

The Book Hog loves books-the way they look, the way they feel, the way they smell-and he'll grab whatever he can find. There's only one problem: he can't read! But when a kind librarian invites him to join for storytime, this literature-loving pig discovers the treasure that books really are.

Geisel Medalist Greg Pizzoli presents a new character who is sure to steal your he
Published March 26th 2019 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Book Hog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book Hog

KDV
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is good! I probably shouldn't write this, but I was sort of distracted by Book Hog's leather daddy vibe. Hard to get a read on who Book Hog really is. But... books and literacy are great so this is great?
Garrett
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
Someone who buys lots of books and then doesn't read them? I think I know a few book hogs.
Michele Knott
It has a part about smelling books.
This book gets me.....
Anthony
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story of the Book Hog, who had quite a few books, and he loved the way they smelled, how the pages felt in his hooves, and the ones with pictures he especially liked. The Book Hog was keeping a big secret from everyone. This story is a delightful and enjoyable read.
Becky
First sentence: The Book Hog loved books. And he had quite a few. He loved the way they smelled, and the way the pages felt in his hooves. He especially liked the ones with pictures.

Premise/plot: The Book Hog loves, loves, loves books. That means he loves to read, right? Maybe. Maybe not. Could the Book Hog have a secret?! If he does--and he does--this one may just have an oh-so-satisfying ending.

My thoughts: I loved this one. The Book Hog has a secret: though he loves books and stories he doesn
Sherri
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite picture book. Soooo sweet. Can't wait to read it to the grandbabies.
Kaethe Douglas
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read it a second time, just to linger on all those books.

Library copy
Edward Sullivan
A charming story about the love for books and reading.
Raven Black
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Didn't think I'd like, but did. Art not my thing but has charm.
Nancy
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Picked the book for the title...reminded me of me! Oink...oink!
Susan
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm really digging the color scheme!
Ally McCulloch
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I liked THE BOOK HOG, because it’s the type of book that inspires the love of reading in children.
Ben Truong
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Book Hog is a children's picture book written and illustrated by Greg Pizzoli. It focuses on a book hog, who is actually a pig (or hog), who loves books, but couldn't read.

The text is rather simplistic and straightforward. It centers a hog, who loves books – the physically of it – the smell of book, the feeling of pages between his hooves, and the pictures that some of them had. The illustrations are drawn rather simplistically, but depict the narrative rather well.

The premise of the book is
Diane
The Book Hog loves books ... the way they feel in his hooves, the way they smell. But he’s missing out on some of the joy of books. He’s never heard a bedtime story. And his deepest, darkest secret is that he can’t read. One day, though, he discovers the library and Miss Olive, the librarian. She introduces him to the joy of hearing stories read aloud. And finally, over time and with a lot of practice, the Book Hog learned to read. “He grew to love the books even more, not just for the way they ...more
Beth
The Book Hog loves books so much. He loves smelling them. He loves owning them. He even looks at them while he sits on the toilet. But the Book Hog has a secret: he can't actually read. So when he has an opportunity to attend storytime at the library, his book-loving heart jumps at the chance.

This book really speaks to the idea that adults can instill a love of books in kids before they can even read. There is something about actually holding a book that is powerful. And adults have the power t
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-Kindergarten
Animal: Pig

The Book Hog loves collecting books but, sadly, cannot read any of them. Visiting the library one day, he stumbles upon a storytime and discovers the beauty of the words inside the books, sparking his journey to learn to read.

The brevity of the story is perfect for storytime but the listeners might need other "learning to read" stories that provide more details about the challenges of learning to read.
Alicia Evans
Yay for a new book from Pizzoli! And it happens to be about the love of books! This is a really cute book about loving books and learning to love to read. I really liked watching the Book Hog's journey play out. I was thrown a little bit by his book journey--it didn't go as I expected--and I love that we had a positive representation of a librarian. Huzzah!

For: fans of books and reading.

Possible red flags: some may find the book hog rude or abrasive in how he interacts with others.
Nadina
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books-e
This was so lovely. I honestly picked this up for the title and the cover. As I began reading I fell in love with the color scheme (the pinks, aquas and blacks) which was simple and yet still gave such detail to the work. The illustrations themselves were also really simple and yet contained such cute details. Each page doesn't contain too much text, just enough, and it would make it perfect for early readers and little kids.
Jj
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I like how the Book Hog holds books in his hooves; kudos for not just saying "hands" as books so often do. Pigs don't have hands!
I demand verisimilitude in all picture books about animals who walk, talk, and wear snazzy outfits whilst driving vehicles around town!
Lynn  Davidson
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Book Hog loved books so much he kept adding more and more to his collection, but he had a sad secret. This is such a good story with great illustrations. The story has a hopeful edge to it, and the ending is very satisfying. Wonderful.
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm partial to anything by Greg Pizzoli because I met him once and he's utterly hilarious in person. BUT...this is a great book. And the color pallette of the illustrations makes me all kinds of happy.
Samma
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Rebecca Ann
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is stylish, I just love the heft and texture of the cover and the gorgeous and illustrations. The story is a cute ode to libraries and storytime that is sure to charm any librarian. This would be a great outreach book for Preschool/kindergarten!
Pam
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The Book Hog loves books. He collects them and looks at them but, sadly, can't read them. One day he goes in to the library and discovers the librarian will read to him. He tries hard and learns to read for himself. Clever illustrations and fun titles on the books in the background.
Mary
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is a fantastic book! It's cute, funny, heart-warming, and perfect for a read-aloud with 4-5 y/o. The colors are bright but not distracting. The illustrations are great, with some nods to Pizzoli's other books. Highly recommend.
Kim
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, reading
The Hog LOVES books!! He loves the smell, how the pages feel and the pictures. But he has a secret; he doesn't know how to read. One day he stumbled upon the library and his world changes. He goes to storytime and with practice, he learned to read.
Great Books
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 19-ages-6-7
The Book Hog loves his books. He spends hours poring over each page and is always looking for more. He's overjoyed to discover the library, with rooms full of more books! But the Book Hog has a secret - he can't actually read. Is the library still the place for him?

Reviewer 16.
Paige Thomas
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: little-kiddies
This book is perfect.
Deb
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a sweet book. A great addition to any bookshelf.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Delightful color palette--light and cheerful.
Greg Pizzoli is the author and illustrator of The Watermelon Seed, winner of the Theodor Seuss Geisel Award, Number One Sam, Templeton Gets His Wish, Tricky Vic: The Impossibly True Story of the Man Who Sold the Eiffel Tower, and coming in April 2016, Good Night Owl. He lives in Philadelphia.