Start by marking “Triathlon for the Every Woman: You Can Be a Triathlete. Yes. You.” as Want to Read:
Triathlon for the Every Woman: You Can Be a Triathlete. Yes. You.

Triathlon for the Every Woman: You Can Be a Triathlete. Yes. You.

You Are a Badass for aspiring triathletes: a practical and inspiring guide to getting off the couch and on the trail to race your first--or fiftieth--triathlon

When Meredith Atwood first shared her journey from tired, overworked wife and mom to successful triathlete, her story resonated with women everywhere, online at SwimBikeMom.com and in the first edition of Triathlon
Published March 12th 2019 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published November 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Triathlon for the Every Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triathlon for the Every Woman

Start your review of Triathlon for the Every Woman: You Can Be a Triathlete. Yes. You.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
This might be one of my favorite books when it comes to fitness and middle age. Atwood narrates a tale here that will be familiar to so many of us - whether it is that you are an Athena (fancy way of saying more than 150lbs or so) or you are someone who did not think you could do it. She really is for the every woman. Now granted her background is athletic (more than couch potato) but it's not as if she was only a year or two out of that situation. She's got a real job and a real family and real ...more
Heather
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I laughed at some parts and cried at others and finished it feeling super motivated! It's a great mix of Atwood's personal journey with expert advice on everything from motivation to nutrition. I'm in awe of how much she accomplished in a year- going from near couch potato to finishing a half ironman in a year while working full time and raising two little kids. She is honest (and funny!) about how hard it was and how much she had to sacrifice and why it was totally worth it. ...more
Janelle
This book is a training and race memoir with a bit of cheerleading thrown in. The balance between the two works for the first two-thirds of the book, and then I wanted much less of Atwood's play by plays of her races. For example, I'm not sure I cared too much about the four races she ran in the run up to her first half Ironman competition.

I don't follow Atwood's Swim Bike Mom blog, so this was my first introduction to her writing style. While I appreciate her efforts to keep it real, after 200
Rachel Brune
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As training books go, there are two things that really recommend this book — the author’s sense of reality and her sense of humor. I’ve read a number of books on working out, and they tend to be VERY SERIOUS INDEED, but Meredith Atwood tells it like it is and lags everything out. I found myself really enjoying this book.
There are probably some more technical books out there, but I guarantee you this is the first to address some of the more specifically female issues — nutrition on your period,
Erin Buhr
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
So much practical information from training through the big day. There were sections that felt less relevant to my life, but overall I loved her conversational tone and actual advice that I can start applying right away. A great book for anyone thinking about doing their first triathlon.
I have mixed feelings about this book. Atwood's basic premise is that if she, a fat lawyer and mom, can find the time and willpower to do triathlons, anyone can . . . and should. Part of this speaks to me. As a mother of two young children, exercise is a huge key to maintaining my sanity and happiness. However, I have a hard time fully buying into the overweight, non-athlete description of herself that Atwood pitches. Atwood reveals at times that is a former competitive weightlifter. I think she ...more
Elise
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love this book so much. It has always been a dream of mine to do a triathlon and I'm getting closer to it. But this book isn't about doing a triathlon, even though it totally is, it's about turning your life around in the most important way: getting your body and mind in shape in the midst of and in honor of all of the challenges of parenting, being a wife, a friend and a career woman. It's about teamwork within your family, showing your family the importance and the determination ...more
Michelle Williams
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I found it relatable and motivating as a casual, woman triathlete looking to get to the next level. One of the stories did make me cry.

Unfortunately I did not appreciate Atwood's negative talk about her body and shame about referring to her body parts by their actual names. In order to count as an "every woman" do I have to hate my body too?
Sara Arblaster
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for any woman thinking about wanting to start into the sport of triathlon or just the motivation to get back into it! Meredith brings an honest humor to the sport and is a great motivator! It's like she is in my head, warring with my excuses and negative thoughts that set me back! Highly recommend!
Jill
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed out loud at the craziness of this endeavor we put ourselves through, otherwise called "triathlon." As a lawyer, mother, and new triathlete (have I really earned that title yet?), I related to virtually all of Ms. Atwood's anecdotes and frustrations. My only reservation is that the book had to end and yet my training pain continues without a current antidote!
Peanut
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for a newbie like me

I was going to give it a 4.5 ONLY because the kindle version is a little annoying but couldn't get the half so went with 5 because I really did enjoy the book. Made me laugh, encouraged me & honestly at times felt like I was reading about myself. I feel more confident going into my first tri.
Libby Chmielewski
This book was so helpful & inspiring. I was in awe of Meredith’s determination throughout her entire journey. She never quit. I feel like I know her free reading the book. There was so much good insight & advice.
Andrea Sancho Silgado
I wish I had read it earlier!

This book is really good, supportive and informative. I wish I had read it before doing my first triathlon. Anyways, I have found it inspirational and funny! Loved it!
Thank you for sharing Meredith.
Noelle
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Repeat after me: forward is a pace"

This covers literally all the things I have been wondering/worrying about, in a fun, helpful, and inspiring way. Definitely recommend.

I have a paper copy, that I will share AFTER I'm done with my upcoming event...
Amanda
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: health, 2019
I would have rated it higher, but the constant "I'm so slow, I run under 40 minute 5Ks" was super annoying. That's not slow.
Marilee
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a clear WINNER!! Excellent information and incredibly funny accounts of getting through training glitches. This is the very favorite book I read all year! Thank you Meredith.
Brittany
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
The information was great for someone who didn’t know anything about the sport. For everyone else, it was way too basic.
Laurie
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
very accessible and encouraging for anybody/any woman considering triathlon. Practical advice given with knowledge, love, warmth, and humor.
Sara Caruso
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect book for anyone considering getting trying a triathlon. A fun read and very inspiring.
Alexa
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Great info and motivation with a realistic point of view. Felt like she was my friend talking to me.
Marissa
Well, this book has helped me figure out that I never want to do a triathlon, so . . . there's that! Thanks, Swim Bike Mom!

On the one hand, I appreciated that this book gave me a real feel for the nitty-gritty of completing a triathlon (of a couple different lengths). I especially appreciated a feel for a beginner's training schedule, which is $@#*ing nuts. (I mean, seriously. I also have two small kids, and while I understood Atwood's argument that having a fit, happy parent who is sometimes
Elizabeth
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-in-2016
For woman from an everywoman, this read on the triathelte's journey into the sport doesn't come from the fitness magazine cover woman who most women can't relate. Meredith Atwood is a spirited, supportive working professional and parent who entered the multisport lifestyle in her our of shape years. She blogged for a few years about the experience before penning this comprehensive overview.

The book includes excellent discussions of each of the sports, how they work, what gear is essential, what
Justine Olawsky
I cannot say truthfully that I read every word, but I thumbed through it pretty thoroughly. I am doing my first triathlon in (gulp) less than 2 weeks. I thought that this book would give me a good overview of the whole agonizing ordeal exciting challenge. It does do that. Unfortunately, I do not think I am going to take much of the advice, just because I am not willing to invest any money and excessive training in an event I think I will only do, maybe, once a year. I am also already in pretty ...more
Mary
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am familiar with Meredith Atwood. I've enjoyed reading her blog the past few years. I really fell in love with her after listening to a podcast of Another Mother Runner, June of 2013. Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea interviewed Meredith Atwood. Her story of beginning triathlon is inspiriting. I love her humor and honesty. I appreciate how this book is broken down into not only a "How to" guide but also Meredith's journey into the world of triathlon. I listened to the audio version of this ...more
Miranda Moberg Diaz
I don't often really strongly recommend books, but I absolutely loved this book. LOVED IT. Meredith's snarky and comical musings on her journey as a 'fat triathlete' are so endearing. The real joy in this is Meredith's keen ability to let herself get completely vulnerable in sharing the ups and downs of her journey as a triathlete. She is beyond human and lovable and completely inspiring. Not to mention she's an amazing writer.

If you've ever even said the word triathlon to yourself, pick up
Pen
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a baby triathlete (or pre-triathlete) I found this book funny and inspiring. Whilst not a technical "how-to" it does give you a clear idea of what to expect in triathlon and how to start preparing. It made me want to go out and do a tri right now!

One note- whilst I appreciated and recognised the battle with "the fat stranger" I found Atwood's continued referral to herself as fat throughout the book annoying/frustrating. Particularly when the pics she included show a fit not fat woman. But
Jane Vogt
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bravo!

Funny, brave, honest, inspiring are some adjectives that describe this book. This truly changed my life. This should be a must read for every woman that has ever doubted their abilities, had a body image problem, or wondered what their purpose in life is. Thank you Meredith!
Melissa Gibson
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!

This book is not only informative but also entertaining. I have read and re-read this book and each time I find something new to inspire me. It's very easy to follow and encourages anyone to take up the sport. Thanks to this book I feel much better prepared to take on my first Sprint Triathlon!
Marie
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book. I feel Meredith would be one of my friends if we knew each other! This book was funny, touching and inspiring. I found it at the perfect time of my life, right after signing up for my first tri. It has been a great guide in my training but I have a feeling it will be a book that I remember and continues to inspired me throughout my life. Read it.. its awesome!!!
Katie
While I don't do triathlons, this book was still interesting and inspiring. I do run, so the section on running was applicable to me, as was the mental skills and nutrition information.

It reads in a conversational tone and does a good job carrying a storyline through the entire book. Really enjoyable!

• MIKE REILLY Finding My Voice: Tales From IRONMAN, the World's Greatest Endurance Event
  • ROAR: How to Match Your Food and Fitness to Your Unique Female Physiology for Optimum Performance, Great Health, and a Strong, Lean Body for Life
  • North: Finding My Way While Running the Appalachian Trail
  • Women Who Tri: A Reluctant Athlete's Journey Into the Heart of America's Newest Obsession
  • Retire Inspired: It's Not an Age, It's a Financial Number
  • Life Is a Marathon: A Memoir of Love and Endurance
  • I'm Just Happy to Be Here: A Memoir of Renegade Mothering
  • The Pants of Perspective: One Woman's 3,000 Kilometre Running Adventure through the Wilds of New Zealand
  • My Year of Running Dangerously: A Dad, a Daughter, and a Ridiculous Plan
  • 26 Marathons: What I've Learned About Faith, Identity, Running, and Life From Each Marathon I've Run
  • How to Be an Antiracist
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Running Like a Girl
  • Necessary Trouble: Americans In Revolt
  • The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir
  • March (Trilogy Slipcase Set)
  • The Old Success (Richard Jury, #25)
  • The Fall Guy
Meredith Atwood is a recovering attorney, wife, mother of two, four-time IRONMAN triathlete who had never run a mile in her life until she tackled the sport of triathlon. In 2010 she started writing and created her Swim Bike Mom blog.

Over 2.5 million words later, she has built a cult following of women (and men) who desired a change in their lives–but not at the expense of their health, family or