Start by marking “A Match Made in Mehendi” as Want to Read:
A Match Made in Mehendi

A Match Made in Mehendi

Fifteen-year-old Simran "Simi" Sangha comes from a long line of Indian vichole-matchmakers-with a rich history for helping parents find good matches for their grown children. When Simi accidentally sets up her cousin and a soon-to-be lawyer, her family is thrilled that she has the "gift."

But Simi is an artist, and she doesn't want to have anything to do with relationships,
Published September 10th 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Match Made in Mehendi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Match Made in Mehendi

Start your review of A Match Made in Mehendi
Cristina Monica
3.5 stars.

I was in the worst book slump ever the past three weeks. I literally started fifteen books, read 10 or 20 pages from each book and proceeded to lose interest completely. I despaired and thought I might never finish another book in my entire life so I decided to take a break from the book world. Thank God because when I finally picked up my sixteenth book—this book—I flew through it.

Of course it helped that this book ended up being a fun YA rom-com. Normally, I consider fifteen-year-ol
Sahitya
CW: bullying, public outing of a character

Definitely a solid 4.5.

I have been waiting to read this book for so long now that I’ve lost count. And it didn’t help that I always seem to get rejected for ownvoices ARCs. But I was delighted to finally get my library copy so that I can join in with my friends who have all loved it so much.

The one thing I could tell right from the first page is that I was gonna smile through the whole book. The writing is light hearted, fun, with lots of awkward and
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
A wholesome and lovely read! A story about matchmaking, desi identity and Indian culture, friendship, and even addresses bullying.

- Follows Simi, who comes from a long line of Indian matchmakers who creates an app to help pair up her schoolmates to make her mark in her second year at high school.
- This is such a cosy and light-hearted read; the sort of book you just read, feel the warm and fuzzies, and enjoy for what it is.
- Simi was such a fantastic protagonist and I really enjoyed her narrat
Fanna
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading A Match Made in Mehendi for the stereotypes it breaks: from converging the family's legacy and one's life aspiration to creating a relationship that demolishes the high school hierarchy, this young adult contemporary romance pleasantly surprises with accurate yet fresh desi representation while setting up a friends-to-lovers trope in the background.

🔅american-indian MC
🔅artist female MC
🔅h
kav (xreadingsolacex)
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The root of family is love. The root of all love is friendship - THE SHAGUN MATCHMAKING GUIDE"

A Match Made in Mehendi is Nandini Bajpai's U.S. debut, a YA contemporary about 15-year-old Simran "Simi" Sangha, a talented artist who comes from a long line of matchmakers. While Simi has no desire to follow in the family business, she starts off her story by accidentally setting her cousin up, and her best friend then talks her into carrying the matchmaking business into their high school where
Nitya
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is so unapologetically desi my heart hurts. Super sweet, funny, and refreshing read with charming characters (mostly) and lovely representation!

I was really captured by the writing style to the point I almost neglected schoolwork (oops).

If you like romcoms with a cute and likeable lead, Bajpai's US debut is definitely one not to miss!

***My only nitpick is that desi is an in group word, so it's really not for whites/non south asians to use. But your mileage may vary there.
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

A Match Made in Mehendi by Nandini Bajpai is a fun read that also tackles issues of bullying. The main character, Simi, is one that is both quirky and relatable. It is a perfect book for your back-to-school TBR.

❀ UNIQUE THEME

The concept of a matchmaking family is one that I have never come across. There are quite a few books that have a matchmaking theme, but this one kicks it up a notch. The women in the family seem to have a gift that Simi is determined to evade.
Opal
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Misadventures of Simi and Noah’s guide to Matchmaking

Find a book. Read it’s synopsis. Picture it and deduct whether you’ll read it or not. Reading this book’s cover made me think “Oh this sounds cute but I doubt I’ll ever read it”. Miraculously, I ended up reading it and saying I was pleasantly surprised doesn’t do it justice…but telling you I read it in one sitting sparing only a few hours of my time would more than suffice.

“People are people”...”and love is love”.

Simi just wants to have
USOM
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

A Match  Made in Mehendi is a story about family, friendship, and standing up against bullies. At the same time, A Match in Mehendi is about balancing technology and tradition, fear and desire, dreams and expectations. Simi's family are professional matchmakers, as a way to facilitate matches and join communities. But Simi would rather be an artist, drawn to a world full of exploratio
Rukky
Recommended by Ele B.! Thanks so much!! ...more
Chanelle
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The root of family is love. The root of all love is friendship.”

full review coming soon
ash ♡
this was a very sweet, fluffy read! i enjoyed reading all of the cultural references (samosas are literally the best omg 😋), and the characters were pretty fun to read about. this book did deal with a few deeper topics like bullying—but i thought that the character of the bully was overdone and a bit cliche. overall, though, this is a feel-good fluffy YA contemporary romance that i didn't regret reading!

★★★✦ {3.5 STARS}
mindful.librarian ☀️
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely adorable and delightful YA romance ❤️
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
A match made in Mehendi is that American-desi story. Simi, our MC, is a clumsy girl, her family is matchmakers for generations and they want her to, but she thinks their method is old and on the other hand, she loves art, every art especially Mehendi (hinnah). For proving to her mother that technology can helpful in her business, she and Noah(Her best friend) came up with a plan of making a matchmaker app for their school. Okie so now talks about the Cliches, annoying and predictable things.

Uma    | Books.Bags.Burgers
A huge thanks to Hachette India for a physical review copy of this book.

(Actual Rating - 3.8 stars)

You know when you've been on a roll of dark, intense high fantasies and kind of need a break from all of it? A Match Made in Mehendi is that perfect break you're looking for. It's adorable, lighthearted, deals with tons of stuff without feeling heavy and leaves you with a warm, fuzzy feeling as you turn the last page. Honestly, even if you're not looking for a break but just want a lighthear
Sabreena - Books and Prosecco
A Match Made in Mehendi by Nandini Bajpai

Stars: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Disclaimer: the amazing humans at Hachette Book Group Canada were kind enough to send me an arc of A Match Made in Mehendi in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions below are my own.

“Sometimes an accident is no accident, but a way to bring hearts together.”

A Match Made in Mehendi is a fun, feel-good story about brown kids just being brown kids! Yes, there is some racism, but for the most part, these teenagers are just going through high school, and the fact t
Sayantani Sarkar
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm so happy I picked this up, because this is exactly the kind of cuteness I needed in my life right now. After the fiasco that was When Dimple Met Rishi, I was honestly super apprehensive about reading a desi book set in the United States; fortunately, A Match Made in Mehendi did not disappoint. I like how Nandini Bajpai has created a world that is true to both the cultures. The conversations are both fresh and old school, and Simi as a protagonist is just the right amount of endearing. You ca ...more
Karina
Rating: 4.5 Stars: ★★★★ 1/2 (Maybe 5? Still deciding on a rating)
A Match Made In Mehendi is a YA debut I'd been looking forward to for over a year and it was so good!! Easily on my list of favorite YA Contemporary books!! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ💖💖*:・゚✧

A Match Made In Mehendi is a fun, delightful YA Contemporary that follows Simi who comes from a long line of matchmakers, but she'd rather focus on her skills as an artist than the family business. So, when she & her friend come up with a plan to develop a match-
Aparna
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, 2019
4.5/5 stars!

My incredible friend Maura lent me her ARC, and I'm so glad she did, because this one was such a lighthearted and fun read!! At times I felt like the plot moved too fast or I lost track of some characters, but overall it was such a delight to get into Simran's head and hear some of her fears between choosing art and straying from traditional values. I especially loved how her art was based in mehendi (I remember going to school with mehendi on my hands and being SO excited and then b
Kerys (The Everlasting Library)
5 stars

- am i tearing up as i write this review? nO YOu aRe
- First, how gorgeous is that girl on the cover? This is such a beautiful book and I love it with all my heart.
- It honestly warms my heart to see Indian representation in and on books! I loved recognising all the Desiness from the typical careers paths to all the gossiping aunties to clothes and food and traditions was just amazing!
- The book starts off with Simi wanting to be more confident and proud of her Desi side and honestly I wan
Ms. Yingling
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Public Library Copy

Simran (Simi) comes from a long line of matchmakers-- her mother and aunt run a matchmaking business. Simi and her tech-savvy brother Navdeep have often thought the business could be updated with technology, and decide to test Navdeep's app (with a few of Simi's tweaks) on the school population. Simi's friend Noah helps as well. Simi is also working on a big art project into which she is trying to work her skill in mehendi (henna designs). The app does well, but of course caus
Samantha (WLABB)
This was one of my anticipated 2019 releases, and I am glad I finally had the chance to read it, because it was so fun, adorable, and sweet.

Things I loved:

• Simi was so honest, real, sweet, and endearing. I was fan from the first broken vase.
• Simi's was blessed with a wonderful family, and it was easy to see how much they loved each other
• Noah and Simi had a fantastic friendship. It hit a few bumps during the book, but the experience was really valuable for Simi and helped her gain some pers
Laura Gardner
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thx to @kidlitexchange @thenovl and esp author @nandinirb for this free book to review! Out 9/10/19; must buy for all MS/HS libraries!
〰️
〰️
Romance books have been a big hit for me this summer and this one is in my top 5 YA romances for 2019!
Quick reasons why:
❤️ klutzy, artistic Simi is super lovable and kind and also refuses to be used or bullied by anyone (loved seeing her stand up for herself!!)
❤️ Simi’s mom and aunt’s traditional matchmaking service is fascinating to see in action and I love
Kayla
Disclosure: I received an ARC of this book at Book Con.

A Match Made in Mehendi is a cute, light read following Simi, who isn't quite sure that she wants to join the family matchmaking business because she dreams of becoming an artist. As a way to sort of test her interest and also gauge if she's any good at matchmaking, she works with her friends to design an app that uses all of her family's techniques to pair individuals. The dating app only works at her school and Simi personally has a hand
Princessofbookaholics
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
About: A story about a young girl whose family has a matchmaking business and expects her to join in but she wants to be an artist. It is a fun, beautiful story about high school and family and friends.

Characters: Each and every character had its own unique personality and that's what I loved about this story. There are so many diverse characters. I loved the fact that this book had an Indian MC (just like me).

My thoughts: I loved this book so much! This was a pretty light read but with a whole
Kat
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
* Thank you to the publisher for sending an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review *

ACTUAL: 4.5 stars

In this story, readers meet Simi, a sophomore in high school who is determined to stand out this school year. After teaming up with her best friend Noah and brother Navdeep, they create an online match making app for their high school. Despite Simi's desire to still pursue her artist dreams, she enjoys her newfound fame. But Simi soon must learn how to balance relationships, love, and fam
˗ˏˋ janet ˊˎ˗
A little stereotypical, some of the stuff in here aren’t really realistic and I didn’t like the way some things were written. Perhaps it’s because it’s in the perspective of a fifteen year old protagonist.
Iz
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
why does this not have a movie deal yet!!!!!!! 😍😍😍😍💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💕💕💕💕💕💕💕❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️💗💗💗💗💗💗💗
Tanvi
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Such a quick, light, easy and fun read! Thoroughly enjoyed it! ^_^

Full review coming soon.
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: A physical copy was provided via Hachette India in exchange for an honest review. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

Gah! How do I even explain in words; how absolutely adorably amazing this coming of age desi”- in – US” book actually was!

First,
before I even dive into the book and its plot and  it’s diverse characters; lets just talk about the formatting of the book – the cover, righ
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • All-American Muslim Girl
  • Our Wayward Fate
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know
  • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • What I Like About You
  • Love at First Fight (Dimple and Rishi, #2.5)
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • Tweet Cute
  • Slay
  • Symptoms of a Heartbreak
  • This Time Will Be Different
  • Love From A to Z
Nandini Bajpai grew up in New Delhi, India, one of four sisters and many cousins, in a family that liked to read.

She lived and worked in India, Australia, and the US, before settling in the Boston area with her husband, kids, and a fluctuating number and variety of pets. Although she dabbled in corporate finance, business analysis, and fostering shelter animals, her first love is writing.