Start by marking “A Match Made in Mehendi” as Want to Read:
A Match Made in Mehendi

A Match Made in Mehendi

Fifteen-year-old Simran "Simi" Sangha comes from a long line of Indian vichole-matchmakers-with a rich history for helping parents find good matches for their grown children. When Simi accidentally sets up her cousin and a soon-to-be lawyer, her family is thrilled that she has the "gift."

But Simi is an artist, and she doesn't want to have anything to do with relationships,
Published September 10th 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Start your review of A Match Made in Mehendi
Sahitya
CW: bullying, public outing of a character

Definitely a solid 4.5.

I have been waiting to read this book for so long now that I’ve lost count. And it didn’t help that I always seem to get rejected for ownvoices ARCs. But I was delighted to finally get my library copy so that I can join in with my friends who have all loved it so much.

The one thing I could tell right from the first page is that I was gonna smile through the whole book. The writing is light hearted, fun, with lots of awkward and
Fanna
August 22, 2019:
Loved reading A Match Made in Mehendi for the stereotypes it breaks: from converging the family's legacy and one's life aspiration to creating a relationship that demolishes the high school hierarchy, this young adult contemporary romance pleasantly surprises with accurate yet fresh desi representation while setting up a friends-to-lovers trope in the background.

🔅american-indian MC
🔅ya contemporary
🔅stereotypes broken
🔅desi references
🔅cute friends-to-lovers
🔅tech meets tradition
🔅art
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
A wholesome and lovely read! A story about matchmaking, desi identity and Indian culture, friendship, and even addresses bullying.

- Follows Simi, who comes from a long line of Indian matchmakers who creates an app to help pair up her schoolmates to make her mark in her second year at high school.
- This is such a cosy and light-hearted read; the sort of book you just read, feel the warm and fuzzies, and enjoy for what it is.
- Simi was such a fantastic protagonist and I really enjoyed her narrat
nitya
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is so unapologetically desi my heart hurts. Super sweet, funny, and refreshing read with charming characters (mostly) and lovely representation!

I was really captured by the writing style to the point I almost neglected schoolwork (oops).

If you like romcoms with a cute and likeable lead, Bajpai's US debut is definitely one not to miss!

***My only nitpick is that desi is an in group word, so it's really not for whites/non south asians to use. But your mileage may vary there.
kav (xreadingsolacex)
"The root of family is love. The root of all love is friendship - THE SHAGUN MATCHMAKING GUIDE"

A Match Made in Mehendi is Nandini Bajpai's U.S. debut, a YA contemporary about 15-year-old Simran "Simi" Sangha, a talented artist who comes from a long line of matchmakers. While Simi has no desire to follow in the family business, she starts off her story by accidentally setting her cousin up, and her best friend then talks her into carrying the matchmaking business into their high school where
Claude's Bookzone
Aug 18, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

CW: Public outing of gay teenager, bullying

A lovely book about family, friendships and finding your match. I am not familiar with the desi culture so it was interesting to read about family dynamics and the match making traditions. I loved the blend of traditional and modern culture and thought the crossover was well written and I assume done respectfully. For an adorable book I was quite surprised at the toxicity levels of the bullying but I am glad at how that was handled. An ending t
Opalsbookjems
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Misadventures of Simi and Noah’s guide to Matchmaking

Find a book. Read it’s synopsis. Picture it and deduct whether you’ll read it or not. Reading this book’s cover made me think “Oh this sounds cute but I doubt I’ll ever read it”. Miraculously, I ended up reading it and saying I was pleasantly surprised doesn’t do it justice…but telling you I read it in one sitting sparing only a few hours of my time would more than suffice.

“People are people”...”and love is love”.

Simi just wants to have
USOM
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

A Match  Made in Mehendi is a story about family, friendship, and standing up against bullies. At the same time, A Match in Mehendi is about balancing technology and tradition, fear and desire, dreams and expectations. Simi's family are professional matchmakers, as a way to facilitate matches and join communities. But Simi would rather be an artist, drawn to a world full of exploratio
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

A Match Made in Mehendi by Nandini Bajpai is a fun read that also tackles issues of bullying. The main character, Simi, is one that is both quirky and relatable. It is a perfect book for your back-to-school TBR.

❀ UNIQUE THEME

The concept of a matchmaking family is one that I have never come across. There are quite a few books that have a matchmaking theme, but this one kicks it up a notch. The women in the family seem to have a gift that Simi is determined to evade.
Kate Olson
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely adorable and delightful YA romance ❤️
Kerys (The Everlasting Library)
5 stars

- am i tearing up as i write this review? nO YOu aRe
- First, how gorgeous is that girl on the cover? This is such a beautiful book and I love it with all my heart.
- It honestly warms my heart to see Indian representation in and on books! I loved recognising all the Desiness from the typical careers paths to all the gossiping aunties to clothes and food and traditions was just amazing!
- The book starts off with Simi wanting to be more confident and proud of her Desi side and honestly I wan
ash ♡
this was a very sweet, fluffy read! i enjoyed reading all of the cultural references (samosas are literally the best omg 😋), and the characters were pretty fun to read about. this book did deal with a few deeper topics like bullying—but i thought that the character of the bully was overdone and a bit cliche. overall, though, this is a feel-good fluffy YA contemporary romance that i didn't regret reading!

★★★✦ {3.5 STARS}
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
A match made in Mehendi is that American-desi story. Simi, our MC, is a clumsy girl, her family is matchmakers for generations and they want her to, but she thinks their method is old and on the other hand, she loves art, every art especially Mehendi (hinnah). For proving to her mother that technology can helpful in her business, she and Noah(Her best friend) came up with a plan of making a matchmaker app for their school. Okie so now talks about the Cliches, annoying and predictable things.

shannon✨
Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads
First of all, I want to make clear that I'm not an own voices reviewer.

I really enjoyed reading this book, it was cute and the concept was, in my opinion, very original. The plot itself was nice, a bit predictable, but overall exactly what I expect from a YA story. It was so nice to learn more about the Indian culture, and from what I understood from several own voices reviewers, the representation was on point.

The only thing that I personally missed was some kind of glossary or footnotes (lik
Uma    | Books.Bags.Burgers
A huge thanks to Hachette India for a physical review copy of this book.

(Actual Rating - 3.8 stars)

You know when you've been on a roll of dark, intense high fantasies and kind of need a break from all of it? A Match Made in Mehendi is that perfect break you're looking for. It's adorable, lighthearted, deals with tons of stuff without feeling heavy and leaves you with a warm, fuzzy feeling as you turn the last page. Honestly, even if you're not looking for a break but just want a lighthear
ivy ♡
Sep 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Let me explain what I liked and didn't like / understand in this book~

what I liked ;
- The voice felt sort of immature to me, but I guess considering the fact that the mc is supposed to be fifteen, that is actually a good thing ? -- I mean, it's a YA mc who actually sounds her age ! *gives the side-eye to MCs from John Green books*.
- For once, our mc isn't trying to get with the popular, hot jock. I mean, it isn't like you can't / shouldn't , but this idea is seriously overdone. In this case,
Sabreena - Books and Prosecco
A Match Made in Mehendi by Nandini Bajpai

Stars: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Disclaimer: the amazing humans at Hachette Book Group Canada were kind enough to send me an arc of A Match Made in Mehendi in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions below are my own.

“Sometimes an accident is no accident, but a way to bring hearts together.”

A Match Made in Mehendi is a fun, feel-good story about brown kids just being brown kids! Yes, there is some racism, but for the most part, these teenagers are just going through high school, and the fact t
Sayantani Sarkar
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm so happy I picked this up, because this is exactly the kind of cuteness I needed in my life right now. After the fiasco that was When Dimple Met Rishi, I was honestly super apprehensive about reading a desi book set in the United States; fortunately, A Match Made in Mehendi did not disappoint. I like how Nandini Bajpai has created a world that is true to both the cultures. The conversations are both fresh and old school, and Simi as a protagonist is just the right amount of endearing. You ca ...more
Aparna
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, 2019
4.5/5 stars!

My incredible friend Maura lent me her ARC, and I'm so glad she did, because this one was such a lighthearted and fun read!! At times I felt like the plot moved too fast or I lost track of some characters, but overall it was such a delight to get into Simran's head and hear some of her fears between choosing art and straying from traditional values. I especially loved how her art was based in mehendi (I remember going to school with mehendi on my hands and being SO excited and then b
iz
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
why does this not have a movie deal yet!!!!!!! 😍😍😍😍💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💕💕💕💕💕💕💕❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️💗💗💗💗💗💗💗
Ms. Yingling
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Public Library Copy

Simran (Simi) comes from a long line of matchmakers-- her mother and aunt run a matchmaking business. Simi and her tech-savvy brother Navdeep have often thought the business could be updated with technology, and decide to test Navdeep's app (with a few of Simi's tweaks) on the school population. Simi's friend Noah helps as well. Simi is also working on a big art project into which she is trying to work her skill in mehendi (henna designs). The app does well, but of course caus
Samantha (WLABB)
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was one of my anticipated 2019 releases, and I am glad I finally had the chance to read it, because it was so fun, adorable, and sweet.

Things I loved:

• Simi was so honest, real, sweet, and endearing. I was fan from the first broken vase.
• Simi's was blessed with a wonderful family, and it was easy to see how much they loved each other
• Noah and Simi had a fantastic friendship. It hit a few bumps during the book, but the experience was really valuable for Simi and helped her gain some pers
Laura Gardner
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thx to @kidlitexchange @thenovl and esp author @nandinirb for this free book to review! Out 9/10/19; must buy for all MS/HS libraries!
〰️
〰️
Romance books have been a big hit for me this summer and this one is in my top 5 YA romances for 2019!
Quick reasons why:
❤️ klutzy, artistic Simi is super lovable and kind and also refuses to be used or bullied by anyone (loved seeing her stand up for herself!!)
❤️ Simi’s mom and aunt’s traditional matchmaking service is fascinating to see in action and I love
E!Shi Reads
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First Of All! I love Nandini Mam! She's my favorite since childhood. I'm so proud I'm doing this.

Now about the book, Nandini Mam never fails to amuse me with those funny lines and sarcastic statements. The book overall becomes so exciting, It's never a bore. The different mindset and the beautiful aim hidden in the story is so great! Promoting the Traditional indian culture such a nice and cool way. She has the ability to write what nobody can ever even think of. The character portrayal, choice
Allana
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute story! I loved Simi and her family! I loved how fun it was to read about them creating this app and how it helped her friends! I enjoyed how supportive her friends and family were to her too! Definitely recommend if you’re looking for a cute and fun story!
mia :)
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was so cute!!
Kayla
Disclosure: I received an ARC of this book at Book Con.

A Match Made in Mehendi is a cute, light read following Simi, who isn't quite sure that she wants to join the family matchmaking business because she dreams of becoming an artist. As a way to sort of test her interest and also gauge if she's any good at matchmaking, she works with her friends to design an app that uses all of her family's techniques to pair individuals. The dating app only works at her school and Simi personally has a hand
Varsha M (bansheesbookstagram)
Full of heart, family, love and loads of the A-factor (Adorability), this novel was perfect and I loved it so much!

Though I bought it purely because the name itself screams Romance, right? And though the book didn't have a lot of MC romance, I did love it! It was full of heart, full of love and I swear to god, it was SO. ADORABLE.

I loved Simi and her overprotective yet loving family, especially Maa, who's so bad-ass and so trusting and believing in her daughter! I loved Noah and I loved Suraj,
Karina
Rating: 4.5 Stars: ★★★★ 1/2 (Maybe 5? Still deciding on a rating)
A Match Made In Mehendi is a YA debut I'd been looking forward to for over a year and it was so good!! Easily on my list of favorite YA Contemporary books!! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ💖💖*:・゚✧

A Match Made In Mehendi is a fun, delightful YA Contemporary that follows Simi who comes from a long line of matchmakers, but she'd rather focus on her skills as an artist than the family business. So, when she & her friend come up with a plan to develop a match-
Princessofbookaholics
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
About: A story about a young girl whose family has a matchmaking business and expects her to join in but she wants to be an artist. It is a fun, beautiful story about high school and family and friends.

Characters: Each and every character had its own unique personality and that's what I loved about this story. There are so many diverse characters. I loved the fact that this book had an Indian MC (just like me).

My thoughts: I loved this book so much! This was a pretty light read but with a whole
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Manning Up
  • 10 Things I Hate About Pinky (Dimple and Rishi, #3)
  • I'll Be the One
  • More Than Just a Pretty Face
  • A Taste for Love
  • Tornado Brain
  • Love at First Fight (Dimple and Rishi, #2.5)
  • Turning Point (So Done, #3)
  • Dress Coded
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • All-American Muslim Girl
  • As Kismet Would Have It (Dimple and Rishi, #1.5)
  • Rent a Boyfriend
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • Our Wayward Fate
  • The Best at It
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • What I Like About You
Nandini Bajpai grew up in New Delhi, India, one of four sisters and many cousins, in a family that liked to read.

She lived and worked in India, Australia, and the US, before settling in the Boston area with her husband, kids, and a fluctuating number and variety of pets. Although she dabbled in corporate finance, business analysis, and fostering shelter animals, her first love is writing.