Start by marking “The Cornwalls Are Gone” as Want to Read:
The Cornwalls Are Gone

The Cornwalls Are Gone

In her career as an Army intelligence officer, Amy Cornwall has seen haunting sights half a world away. None compare to the chilling scene at her Virginia home. A phone rings with a terrifying ultimatum: locate and liberate an unnamed captive in forty-eight hours, or her kidnapped husband and ten-year-old daughter are dead. Now, and in open defiance of Army Command, Amy mu
Published March 25th 2019 by Little, Brown and Company

Matt
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
In their latest collaborative effort, James Patterson and Brendan DuBois offer readers an interesting thriller with elements of suspense throughout. Amy Cornwall is part of Army Intelligence and has a keen sense of foreboding. When she arrives home to discover that her husband and daughter are missing, her panic boils over. Worried about the worst, Amy is contacted by the kidnappers, who offer up a plan to have her collect a man in a small Texas town before delivering him and getting her family ...more
Laura Rash
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast paced and action packed! I’m hoping to hear more from the Cornwalls.
John
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got this ARC of this one because the plot really intrigued me. It did not disappoint...what a ride, with so many twists. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, never wanting to put it down. Highly, highly recommended.
Deb
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fast-moving book. It kept me interested through the whole book.
Rick Molitor
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good thriller. It moved quickly from the start. The story was a fairly good one and the characters were good. I would recommend it for a nice, quick read.
Christine D
This wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.
I feel like this plot has been done multiple times before.
I skimmed a lot of it. And I didn't feel guilty about doings so.
Donna Hines
What can you say when it's James Patterson?
This one had a strong heroine in Amy Cornwall with a position of authority as an Army Intell Officer but what was a fresh idea was in locating &liberating an unnamed captive and do so in a short amount of time or else say bye to her family (her husband and daughter who were kidnapped).
The main guts of this one centered around Amy and the clock that was ticking with each pounding breath.
As it progressed it was fast paced as all James books are but it
Misty
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I’m going to keep this one short. First, this was a great story that was engaging, well-crafted and edgy. The problem? EDITING. For the love of all things holy, can’t Patterson afford the very BEST editors? Misspelled words, poor punctuation and incorrect facts are scattered throughout. I’m unsure whether this was a result of NO editing, a release of the wrong draft or Kindle translation issues, but it made for a disappointing experience.
Darlene
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first in the Cornwall series,(I hope there will be more to come). I thought it was a good, very exciting book. A lot of people I know refuse to read any of Patterson’s books anymore, thinking he gets the credit when actually a coauthor has written the book. I, for one, read all of his books. Sure a coauthor may write a substantial amount of the book, but Patterson definitely contributes. James Patterson’s name on a book definitely draws attention to the coauthors name, and helps that authors ...more
Michael crage
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was somewhat different than most of Patterson's book, but just as good. An Army Intelligence Officer returns home from work and finds her husband and daughter not there. Then she receives a call saying her family has been kidnapped and if she wants them back, she has 48 hours to find and liberate an unnamed captive. The story has lots of twists and turns and the ends a major twist.
Sheldon
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patterson sent out a note supporting his latest book and it’s protagonist, Amy Cornwall. I wanted to dislike it after that self advertising, but I couldn’t. It is one of his better thrillers of recent publication. So yes, I affirm, it is worth your time. Enjoy!
Ti.Me
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast-moving kidnap thriller with enough action and twists to keep things interesting.

3.5 stars rounded to 4.
Francy
Awesome read.
Yvonne Taylor
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!! I hope there is another book with Amy Cornwall. She’s a great character.
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
We are blessed so early in the year to have a second collaborative effort by James Patterson and Brendan DuBois (after THE FIRST LADY) with the publication of THE CORNWALLS ARE GONE. This new stand-alone novel has everything that thriller aficionados want and expect in a first-rate tale that starts off strongly and never loses steam.

Patterson and DuBois keep things moving by frequently switching the narrative's point of view at strategic moments, thus ratcheting the suspense level upward and onw
Linda
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I’m surprised there are only 8 reviews of this new series. The Alex Cross series would have been snapped up and devoured by hundreds by now. I started out thinking I wouldn’t like this series. It seemed flat but that disappeared as soon as it became clear there was a conspiracy going on within the Army. Poor Captain Cornwall had no clue until she figured it out. I liked that she was on her own, driving to save her husband and daughter from danger and not knowing for sure what the danger was ...more
Joan
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Army Intelligence Officer Captain Amy Cornwall returns to her Virginia home to find it empty . . . someone has abducted her husband, Tom, and ten-year-old daughter, Denise. And if she wants to see them again, she must follow the ultimatum of the unknown kidnapper. But why target her family? For this, Amy has no answers . . . and if she wants to see them again, she must defy Army Command and follow the kidnapper’s instructions.

But, in order to succeed, she must also find those responsible for set
Rick
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime, own
This one is rough to evaluate. Most the the book, felt ho hum. It moved along at a more or less reasonable pace. The writing was acceptable, there was decent flow to the story but the pace didnt feel right. This is a typical James Patterson no not need to really say anything about character development, there was enough there to fit into the story and nothing that let you know the character. The story itself was pretty well thought out and probably is the reason for the sometimes less than dynam ...more
Judi
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James Patterson always delivers a great book and one with twists, turns and surprises. This one is no different.

Amy Cornwall, is a Army intelligence officer, her husband Tom is a writer and they have a 10 year old daughter, Denise. Amy has made the Army her life, been to Afghanistan, seen the bad. Now she is home and facing charges of killing a prisoner in her custody. In arriving home, she finds an empty house, her husband and daughter gone and a note if she contacts anyone, they will be killed
Mary Ann
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book after also reading "The First Lady" by these same two authors who have a proven track record for a high suspense and thrilling read. I rated the book as five stars because in my humble opinion was a real page turner.... very well done. Mesmerizing and packed with twists and action packed drama. The Army intelligence Captain Amy Cornwall was truly a force to be reckoned with. Nothing or no one would stop her from getting to her family. I loved the character development a ...more
Linda
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Army Intelligence officer Captain Amy Cornwell is on a mission to rescue her kidnapped husband and daughter. As Amy races to save her family she is being followed by Special Agent Rosaria Vasquez, a member of the Army Criminal Investigation Command. The Special Agent was ordered to interview the Captain about an incident which occurred under the Captain's watch, a meeting which did not occur because the Captain disappeared. The story slowly offers surprises as you learn more about the Captain, t ...more
Shawn
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this depiction of corruption in the higher rankings of military government. As we look at issues today one could question every incident. Drug cartel's, trafficking, payoffs, torture, you name it.

Amy Cornwall became a part of this information attempting to save her family. As she fights to stay alive in order to save her daughter and husband, she uncovers information she could never have dreamed of. Will she reach them in time? Who is the mysterious woman chasing her?

James Patterson at h
Craig Wakefield
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better co-authored books coming from James Patterson. Yet it still makes me wonder. Would I have taken the same steps to protect my family that Captain Amy Cornwall took? I too was a Captain in the Air Force not the Army yet I never raised a gun in violence at any time. For that matter I was never ever given a gun to fire when I was in the military. Now, when I was in the Army ROTC it was another matter. Perhaps it was all that Ranger training that Captain Cornwall got that made the d ...more
Roberta
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I gave this book two stars only because I like Patterson and find it hard to score any of his books lower than two. However, this was the most convoluted and unbelievable plot imaginable. The first thing that got me was that this extremely fit and courageous female soldier would just break down sobbing not once but three times early on in the book. Then she carries out extremely difficult missions all without authority and...I had better stop before I blow the entire premise of this book.
Melanie
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amy Cornwall returns home to find her husband and daughter are missing. Soon she is sent on an errand to retrieve another man and swap him for the return of her family.
Not bad, at least the storyline was different. It was a bit confusing, as the narrator kept changing multiple times per chapter without warning. It made for longer chapters than he usually has, but I had to keep rereading to figure out whose vantage I was reading.
Tammy
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was really good and crazy right until the end. Amy is a Captain in the Army and her husband used to work for the press who is now home with their daughter working on a book. Amy comes home to find them both gone and a letter telling her what to do to get them back. The rest is a crazy ride to find out who is part of this, how high it goes and if she will be able to get them back. It was very fast paced and kept you on the edge of your seat the whole way. Loved it.
Christine Irvin
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amy Cornwall comes home to find her husband and her daughter missing. Her phone rings and the person on the other ends tells her she has to kidnap a man and bring him to a place in Texas to exchange for her husband and her daughter. To fail the mission would lead to the death of her family members. She is not to tell anyone about this so as not to involve any law enforcement agencies. Can Amy find her husband and her daughter before it is too late?
Sean Harding
Criminally dull effort from Patterson inc in book which has different titles stateside and elsewhere - why who knows somebody does.
It would be good to know exactly who many Patterson books I have here but you know what it’s like with Goodreads get a cool feature like Most Read Authors then rip it away from the public because you can I guess.
Karen
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, I mostly love James Patterson books. The Cornwalls Are Gone is no exception. It is a fast paced action thriller with great characters. What more can you ask for? The book is relevant to the times, with the drug cartels and the terrorist aspect. I think Amy Cornwall was given an impossible task and she kept me thinking. I am looking forward to the coming books by this author.
Sue Kraft
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good story

Well I have read just about everything Patterson has written and he is still one of my favorite. Sometimes I get in a rut and just don't feel like reading. His novels always get me out of that rut. Amy is another of his enduring characters that you just can't wait for the next Book to come out.
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
  • Someone Knows
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Stone Mothers
  • Favourite Daughter
  • A Justified Murder
  • The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)
  • Run Away
  • The Shaker Murders (Will Rees Mysteries #6)
  • Crown Jewel (Simon Riske, #2)
  • Dear Wife
  • Ilkas arv (Ilka, #2)
  • Finding Katarina M.
  • Backlash: Tender Trap / Aftermath
  • Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)
  • We All Fall Down
  • The Night Window (Jane Hawk #5)
  • Never Have I Ever
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo