Start by marking “Fray (The Unraveled Kingdom, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fray (The Unraveled Kingdom, #2)

Fray

(The Unraveled Kingdom #2)

In this epic sequel to Torn, the magical seamstress Sophie Balstrade navigates a royal court and foreign alliances fraught with danger -- and may well have to risk everything for love and for country.

Open revolt has been thwarted -- for now -- but unrest still simmers in the kingdom of Galitha. Sophie, despite having built a thriving business on her skill at both dressmaki
Published June 4th 2019 by Orbit

Start your review of Fray (The Unraveled Kingdom, #2)
Lisa
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2019/0...

Fray is another enjoyable book in the Unraveled Kingdom. Political unrest and revolution have created an uncertain path and future for the empire, and Sophie finds herself at the center of the conflicts. Engaged to the Crown-prince, but also rooted in the community that is looking for change, she has loved ones and friends on both sides of the conflict. She’s a strong protagonist who fights her battles using intelligence and u
Jordan
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
These books are also so underrated! People that love political intrigue/revolutions/etc., will love this series. Full review:

Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

When I read Torn, the first book in the Unraveled Kingdom trilogy, I was excited by how much I fell in love with the world, magic system, and main character Sophie Balstrade. I'd been anticipating picking up Fray ever since, and it managed to up the intensity and plot to even further than I expected.

This series has always had
Marguerite Nguyen
Jun 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Revolutionary Fail

Rowenna Miller's debut with "Torn" was fabulous. It was a fun book and the take on someone being caught in the middle of the two sides of a brewing revolution and in between loyalties between family and new found friends was exciting. I was very excitedly waiting for the sequel and couldn't wait to read it. Sadly, when I started to read my excitement ended.

While the first book was a fresh take, this one seemed to take every expected troupe and was neither fresh or exciting. So
Mike Chen
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how FRAY took the expectations set from TORN and essentially inverted them. It smartly executed what the best second-books do: expand the world, push characters to their limits, and shake up the formula in surprising ways. Really, my only complaint is that it leads right into the final book RULE and I have to wait.
Grace
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm very conflicted on how to rate this.

It's a middle-of-a-series book, so its unsatisfying end almost makes me want to give it fewer stars. I was still riveted the whole time, though, and even now that I'm finished reading it I still find myself thinking over the story and wondering about the third book. So, I'm going to err on the side of a higher rating. The first half was fun and interesting, and while the second half was frustrating, it seemed to be frustrating in a purposeful way.

This boo
Linda Robinson
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adventure. On the high seas, in foreign countries, at a diplomatic summit, and in Sophie's own backyard. Everyone gets more to do, and learns under pressure. The new characters add a breadth and range tha makes this novel sparkle. I need to know what happens to a couple of them. Soon. This is an excellent 2nd book in this series. Now I wish the 3rd was out and in my hands.
Michaela Whitney
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
I have to really give this series credit for it’s realistic view on staging an actual revolution. This second book is solid. 4.5 stars
Alexandra
May 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Fray picks up as Sophie is now getting married to Theodore but she must begin the preparations of giving her business away and coming to terms with her life no longer being the same as it was before.
There is a case for sophomore slump here as the characters progress very little as the book feels like its building up to a climax which won't reach its climax until the next book as it ends on a cliffhanger. Theodore does very little were it becomes out of his hands and Sophie goes from being someo
Rose
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly I was tempted to give this 4 stars because I'm just so cranky that the 3rd book isn't out yet. This book is so good and sets up so many potentially amazing things. But honestly, isn't that a common problem that many 2nd installments have? I love the old characters that continue to develop and I love the new characters who were introduced. I can't wait for the 3rd book.
Realms & Robots
Fray returns to the world of Galitha, dropping us directly into the brewing conflicts that haven’t left the busy streets. What starts as a hopeful story quickly turns into another devious plot to wrest the kingdom from those who would see change brought to their way of life. Through it all, we see Sophie and her Prince become bastions of the good fight as they put themselves in constant danger to protect the land they love. It’s a strong narrative that deftly continues where we left off.

In keepi
Phreia Von Woolfgaard
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This is the second book of "The Unraveled Kingdom," by Rowenna Miller. This book picks up perfectly where the last one was tied off. Like a great sequel of a good movie you love. It was fast paced as the story is woven around Sophie Balstrade. A seed of reformation was planted during the Midwinter Revolt of the last book and it is here at an easy beginning that the second book in the series begins. Will the revolt settle into a painful memory or will something of greater good take hold? These ar ...more
Angela
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not as good as the first book. It has the dreaded second book syndrome a lot of mental gears turning, not a lot of action happening, the characters for some reason aren't as intelligent as they were previously, and so on and so forth. One of my biggest issues is Theodor, there's no way someone of his rank should/can be that politically stupid. Also considering everything that's going on I have some serious doubts as to his feelings about Sophie. He gets more demonstrative around the end but ...more
Jean
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved "Torn," the first in "The Unravelled Kingdom" series, and "Fray" is a fantastic follow-up. "Fray" sees the main character, Sophie, travelling to other countries and learning about their cultures and politics. Both the worldview and the understanding of the magic system expands in "Fray," and it's a real treat to experience that.

As with "Torn," Miller's writing is just beautiful. In addition to the descriptions of the magic, we get descriptions of new cities and people. These are rich an
Alsuri
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magical threads

The tale of Sophie & Theodor continues from Torn Book 1. Love has been declared but reality is setting in how can a relationship between a crown prince and a magic casting witch survive. Theodor is a strong thread but their world continues to fray as politics between nobles and reformists sets their nation towards war. Rowena Miller continues to weave a complex tapestry bringing new characters and the ghosts of the old. She also tackles the way emotions and grief can beset our sk
Fraser Sherman
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, unfinished
A novel setting (modeled on 1700s France) but I couldn't get into it. Partly it's that in the 100 pages I got through, the magic could have been edited out for a straight historical (there's nothing inherently wrong with minimal magic, but it almost never works for me). Partly it's that while there's a lot of tension simmering (protagonist is a commoner marrying into the royal family, the peasants are close to revolution), there's no real tension to the plot. Heck, there's hardly a plot in the s ...more
Jeff Clausen
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book 2 of this trilogy, where Sophie the protagonist is pulled unwilling into the heart of a rebellious war, her Reformists vs. the Royalists. The setting shifts to a neighboring country instead of her seamstress shop, and the cast of characters is ever-changing also, a fresh breath of folks with some hidden agendas nicely woven in. I enjoyed the journeying that wraps up this volume, a band of fellow travelers reminiscent of other groups moving through unknown lands, a subtle nod to Mr. Tolkien, ...more
Alex
May 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the ideas in this series. I love the feminism, the way that complexity is detailed and broken down as opposed to a basic good guy vs bad guy narrative. But the character development really needs some help. Our lead is rather dull and I can’t understand why she’s so important as a person, though as a symbol she’s fleshed out well enough. Her quick and underdeveloped love was the biggest downfall of the last book, but in this one he’s barely around and they have no moments together which ac ...more
Tonya
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved Torn, the first book in this series, so I was a little disappointed in this book. Other reviewers have done a great job explaining the storyline and discussing the issues with character development and plot lines, so I won’t go there.

What this book does well is set the reader up for the final book, Rule. Fray’s ending transitions well into the final book, which should be a doozy—with all of the intrigue and complex characterizations we loved in Torn. I cannot WAIT to get my hands on Rul
Michelle Sonnier
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the start I was disappointed that the main character seemed to regress to weak and mousy behavior after all her growth in the first book. I worried that this would be a weak bridge book between a strong beginning and strong end. But about 2/3 of the way through she found herself again and I found myself gripped by the story again. Then it ended on a cliffhanger.... aaarrgh! Need the next book now!
Andrea
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I hadn't imagined the world from Torn would be as rich and politically developed as we got to see here in Fray. It was an interesting lens and particularly powerful given the current unrest in the U.S. (although in this case, class is what divides and, one woupd say, frays, the people) Also love the further exploration into Sophie's casting ability. I'm sure it wasn't easy devising a new magical theory for this series! Looking forward to seeing where the story goes in Rule!
Brian Palmer
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the previous novel in this series, where a seamstress ends up involved in politics of the nobility, and discovers her magical crafting powers are more directly useful than she ever would have thought. I was equally pleased with this, which was refreshingly not about her using her newfound abilities to run wild and chase away problems; instead, the political intrigue continued.
Charlotte
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This second installment lacked something the first one had. Characters felt stiff and dialogue stilted. The story took a long time to really pick up and go anywhere. I still liked the book, but nothing much happened to justify over 400 (e-reader) pages.
Atara
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful sequel. I don't have the energy now to write a review that would do this book justice... But amazing characters, plot, and writing. Absolutely amazing. This was not a series filler, as many second books are, but a wonderful book all on its own. I cannot wait until the third.
compiledwrong
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warfare and threadfare, passes the Bechedel test

A lovely story and backdrop with a protagonist who doesn't self motivate to stretch her own talents and under-prioritizes practicality. A nice read with enjoyable underpinnings of futureless warfare theory
Sarrah Van
Not as good as the first book. This was definitely one of those interstitials that authors write when they want a trilogy but don't really have enough storyline for one.

It could have been half as long and gotten the point across better.
Larisa
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-purchase
Political intrigue + multi-faceted characters developing further = gorgeous novel
Jay Quietnight
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Miller does a great job creating a threatening atmosphere. I even woke from a bad dream that I was being stalked by an a'Mahva assassin! Looking forward to the next book, Rule, in this series.
Sam
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Actual rating: 3.5
This series is so good, but this book just felt too wordy.
The story was good though and I can’t wait for book 3!!
Crystal Hunter
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
And the saga continues. Well-developed characters and plot line. Brilliant new author.
Elaine
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Found it a little harder to get through than the first but still enjoyable

• The Unbound Empire (Swords and Fire #3)
  • The Obsidian Tower (Rooks and Ruin, #1)
  • The Defiant Heir (Swords and Fire, #2)
  • A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking
  • The Age of Witches
  • A Queen in Hiding (The Nine Realms, #1)
  • The Queen of Raiders (The Nine Realms, #2)
  • Realm of Ash (The Books of Ambha, #2)
  • The Glass Magician
  • Shorefall (Founders, #2)
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties, #1)
  • Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)
  • The Perfect Assassin (Chronicles of Ghadid, #1)
  • A Pale Light in the Black (NeoG #1)
  • The Ruin of Delicate Things
  • The Tethered Mage (Swords and Fire, #1)
  • Unnatural Magic

The Unraveled Kingdom (3 books)
  • Torn (The Unraveled Kingdom, #1)
  • Rule (The Unraveled Kingdom, #3)