Start by marking “The Witch's Kind” as Want to Read:
The Witch's Kind

The Witch's Kind

From the author of A Secret History of Witches comes an absorbing tale of love, sacrifice, family ties, and magic, set in the Pacific Northwest in the aftermath of World War II -- perfect for fans of Practical Magic, The Witch's Daughter, and A Discovery of Witches.

Barrie Anne Blythe and her aunt Charlotte have always known that the other residents of their small coastal
Expected publication: March 19th 2019 by Redhook

To ask other readers questions about The Witch's Kind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch's Kind

Judy
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such an enjoyable read! I totally enjoyed the writing, the plot, and the characters. The story is mostly about Barrie Ann and her Aunt Charlotte - their lives and the secret they share from their heritage.

Barrie Ann drops out of college to marry Will just prior to his deployment in World War II. What happens after their wedding date is the real story here. There is both heartbreak and joy in Barrie's life - and we can see this is the case with her Aunt Charlotte as well. Both Barrie Ann and Cha
Linda
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure what to tell you about this mixture of witches, mermaids, aliens, g-men and WWII that would make you want to read it. It's just a light dusting of all of that but it works so well that I kept turning the pages this morning until I missed breakfast. Sincerely hope there is a part two, not that the ending wasn't great..but well you will see. It's good.
Tracett
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lightly paranormal, but really more about the binding and loosening of various types of relationships. Are there witches? Sure. Are there aliens? Maybe. Is Willow one damn fine dog? Heck yeah! Nicely paced with slow spells to appreciate a hot summer garden, and rushing bits of panic and fear pushing the plot along. Hope there is a second generation follow up. Recommended for book groups who are safe havens to discus marital intimidation.
OutlawPoet
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m in a weird place with this book where I don’t know if I like it.

There were things I loved. I loved the author’s voice – it’s charming and has a fable-like quality. I also liked that she surprised me. When you find out what is special about the baby…let’s just say it’s something you likely won’t see coming.

But I didn’t like some of the characters, didn’t like the flashbacks (I definitely was more into the ‘present day’ story), and found our main character’s husband to be almost a caricature r
Mkb
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Witch’s Kind features interesting characters about whom we learn more and more in a story that unfolds by jumping back and forth between the 1930s and 1940s. The author writes lovingly and engagingly of gardens, dogs, and family ties, but don’t think this is sleepy or pastoral. I read it in a day because I wanted to find what happened in these characters’ pasts and what would happen to them next.

As an aside, yesterday I finished another book set on the West Coast which also featured plants,
Nicole Fuschetti
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
World War II has ended, and Barrie Anne Blythe is content spending her days with her dog Willow on her farm in Washington. Yet while she is content, Barrie Anne is grieving. Having been abandoned by her husband Will during the war, she also lost their son just after he was born. However, one morning, after seeing a strange glow coming from the ocean near her farmhouse, Willow comes home carrying a bundle with a
Carolyn McBride
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comfort-reading
This was not a genre book. There were no character motivations other than to keep a secret and survival. It's not what you think it is. It is a moving, slightly disjointed book about Barrie Ann, and her Aunt Charlotte, and Willow, and eventually Emma. It is moving, it has heartbreaking parts, it has parts of generosity and wonder and... I'll warn you now though, once this book and its characters worm their way into you, they don't let go.
This was another one that I read as much as I could, as so
Amanda Mae
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Witch’s Kind is one interesting book. Witches? Magic? WWII? ALIENS? An awesomely feminist queer lady and a strong main character? And did I mention aliens? If you enjoy history with a touch of magic and intrigue then you’ll love this. Plus, an aunt-niece relationship that was so sweet, touching, and supportive. Aunt Charlotte reminded me a lot of my own aunt. Also, I can’t end this mini review without mentioning the true star of this book: Willow (when you read it, you’ll know.) An all aroun ...more
Lisa
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was not for me, I thought it was going to be about witches then got aliens.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher
Evelyn Carrillo
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first book from this author. Excellent character development, interesting family interaction. Subtle lesbian theme, hope future books do not concentrate on that.
Kayla
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Natille
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Barrie Anne Blythe is a woman with a past that consumes her present as the focus of her torment soon wanders back into her life, but before that happens she must decide with her Aunt Charolette what to do about a mysterious bundle her dog Willow led them to. Both women unique and strong face difficult decisions that war within themselves while uncovering the secrets of their new home. Can Barrie Anne escape a past of wrong choices and make a new live with possibilities or will she fall into bad ...more
Lizz Martensen
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The Witch's Kind told a different story than I expected. Judging the book by the title and cover, I expected a story about witches ... and it might have had witches, but that simply isn't what the story was about.

I LOVED this book. Seriously, the pacing was slow and melodic (which isn't always to my taste, but it felt relaxing to read this story), the characters were interesting, flawed, and real. The story came alive on the page, which I think it really all you can ask for when reading a story
Jen
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I received a free copy of the book from Netgalley and Redhook Books in exchange for an honest review
This book is about Aunt Charlotte and Barrie Ann, their relationship and 3 parts of Barrie Ann's life. Before WWII, during the war and post. Some of it is about Barrie Ann's pre marriage, marriage and post. Post talked about Barrie Ann's adopted daughter and dog. They are the peculiar people of the community, trying to protect their family's secret.
There is mermaids, witches, aliens, g-men, the w
Kathleen
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This just wasn't for me. I thought I was getting into a really good (maybe a bit creepy and mysterious) book about witches. What I got was something that felt like it didn't really know what it wanted to grow up and become. Was it about witches, WWII, the CIA, aliens, mermaids?? It was too much for me. I thought it needed to pick a subject a delve deep instead of skimming the surfaces of so much. What I did love was the author's ability to plant the reader very firmly in the location and era. Fr ...more
Carol Dass
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, netgalley-read
This was a terrific story and now I cannot wait to read The Secret History of Witches by this same author. This story jumps between the 1930’s and 1940’s but it was never confusing. The story touches on witches and aliens and WWII. Barrie Anne is a loving young lady, who makes a tragic mistake by marrying Will. Her Aunt Charlotte has basically raised her after the death of her parents. Charlotte “knows” things and warned Barrie Anne about Will, but she would not listen, she was in love. I really ...more
Kayla J.
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
3.5 Stars

The Witch's End was not what I expected it to be—not in a good or bad way. Just different. Based off the cover and title I was hoping for a book about the history of magic with a mini dash of romance and exciting family drama, but we don't get that. I personally had a hard time connecting with the characters but I still enjoyed learning more about them and reading their interactions. The writing and descriptions are bea
Leah Green
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the way this story played out. The story is about a grieving woman Barrie, and her dog Willow, and Aunt Charlotte. Barrie stumbles upon an abandoned child. She can tell right away something is different with the child. Barrie and Charlotte try to find out what has happened to the child.

This story jumps back and forth through past and present. Telling Barrie's story. It is an endearing story about family, trials, and tribulations. All in all a good read. With lots of different characters
Heather
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-win
** Thank you to Orbit Books for providing a copy of this book through the Goodreads Giveaway program **

Judging by the book's title, I thought this book would be more about witches and magic, but the author only touched on it here and there as a sort of plot device. It would have been nice if the author had written more in-depth about the protagonist’s family history regarding their “special powers." The last few chapters finally peaked my interest, but I found the end somewhat abrupt, unbelievab
Janie G
Feb 09, 2019
Sherri Lewis
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*** I received an advanced e-copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review

The book started out a little slow, but when it picked up I couldn't put it down. The storyline was fresh and different, and the characters were all ones I wanted to get to know better..... well, except for Will. But, what goes around comes around, as they say. Definitely a must read!
Karen Thompson
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued from the start of the book. I loved the character Barrie Anne. She went through a lot and never lost her spirit. Aunt Charlotte is a strong, loving, supportive aunt with a kick! I’d love to read about precious Emma as she grows and becomes an adult. I loved the water witch aspect. I just loved this book as a whole. It was a great read. Praise to Louisa Morgan. I won this book on Goodreads.
Sally Maxwell
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Redhook Books, for the arc of this book.
I found this book a really beautiful read, it was very well written, I loved how the story went form the 1930’s to the 1940’s, you never felt confused from this.
I really enjoyed it.
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a easy pleasant read that kept me wanting to know the outcome. Just unpredictable enough.
Jypsy
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in The Witche's Kind. The story talked much more about aliens instead of witches. It doesn't make sense to me. Also, I disliked the characterization. I felt like this story just went in the wrong direction from the start. It's an okay read but not great. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Melise
Jan 29, 2019
Meghan
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Redhook Hachette Book Group in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

Have you ever read a book and from the description been so excited to read it and preview it and while you are reading it, it reminds you of something completely different than what you were expecting? That is the exact reaction I had when reading The Witch's Kind.

The Witch's Kind tells the story of Barrie Anne Blythe and her A
Delores
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Suspend your ties to reality and let the story take you along. There are ups and downs, wonderous events and scary times. And the dog, oh how I wish she were mine.
Nicole
Feb 10, 2019
Wendy   reed
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley and the author for giving me the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.
This was a very interesting book. I truly enjoyed the characters. Aunt Charlotte was so precious and eccentric that you can not help but fall in love with her. You wish that you had one like her in your family if you did not already.
You want to protect Barnie Anne especially against her abusive husband. She deserves so much better than him. Her friends have loving husbands but hers is so inc
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera #1)
  • The Red Labyrinth
  • The Whisper Man
  • The Tenth Girl
  • The King's Questioner
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood #1)
  • The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
  • Silver in the Wood
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • The Perfect Assassin (The Chronicles of Ghadid #1)
  • Next Girl to Die (The Calderwood Cases, #1)
  • Never-Contented Things
  • The Beckoning Shadow
  • The Daughters of Temperance Hobbs
  • I Hear Your Voice
  • A River of Royal Blood (Untitled, #1)
  • The City We Became