Start by marking “No More Poems!: A Book in Verse That Just Gets Worse” as Want to Read:
No More Poems!: A Book in Verse That Just Gets Worse

No More Poems!: A Book in Verse That Just Gets Worse

Acclaimed singer-songwriter Rhett Miller teams up with Caldecott Medalist and bestselling artist Dan Santat in a riotous collection of irreverent poems for modern families.

In the tradition of Shel Silverstein, these poems bring a fresh new twist to the classic dilemmas of childhood as well as a perceptive eye to the foibles of modern family life. Full of clever wordplay
Published March 5th 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about No More Poems!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No More Poems!

Start your review of No More Poems!: A Book in Verse That Just Gets Worse
Sela Schneider
Apr 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is an adult book! This doesnt even deserve one star because its targeted towards children and should be targeted to adults. There is a poem in this book called, Brotherly Love. The first line is, Please dont push your brother out the window. I know hes asking for it. Im quite aware of this. But if you push your brother out the window hell go splat... The next paragraph is, please dont drown your brother in the bathtub.... All of the paragraphs after this talk about ways a child can kill ...more
Erica
Apr 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disturbing, inappropriate, and utterly disgusting. Rather than offer ways for young children to learn empathy and understanding, much of this acts as a quite explicit "how-to" for violent, grotesque, horrific behavior.
Christi
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Make note: all 1 star reviews happened over the course of 1-3 days. Seems like a sabotage attempt. If you have a sense of humor youll love this book.

This book is so much fun! We were lucky enough to have him come to our kids elementary school for an author visit (kinder to third grade). He was a huge hit! Since then my son has had his nose stuck in the book. Some of my sons favorite poems are Purple Pox and Hairs. We laugh reading This Bathtubs Too Small and Disco Bath Party. My personal
La Coccinelle
Oct 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, poetry
This book falls into the "What were they thinking?!" category. You can't just add a few bathroom and fart jokes to a book of poems and say it's for kids...especially when the rest of the subject matter is wildly inappropriate for children (or anyone, in some cases).

I'm talking mainly about a poem called "Brotherly Love". It looks like most of the reviewers who had a problem with this book were just as horrified as I was. It is not funny to suggest myriad gruesome ways for a little girl to murder
Riah
Apr 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was excited to buy this book for my kids as a fun introduction to poetry. I bought it at Costco (usually reliable) and it already had a lot of celebrity hype (sounds fun! ) My boys LOVE Dan Santat's art, so i saw it as a great opportunity.

I was SORELY disappointed. There is literally a poem about a little girl killing her toddler sibling in multiple ways. Not ok.

Poems about poop? Questionable, but honestly I'm a pretty lax mom about bathroom talk, and I'm willing to go pretty far to make
Theresa
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Santats artwork was cool, but the tweens portrayed in the poems were obnoxious and rude. Nope. ...more
Lisa
Apr 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: insufferable-pap
Avoid!!!! Highly inappropriate and disturbing. There's enough negative $#*! out there for kids. Do we really need poems detailing how to drown and suffocate and smother babies? It's not funny and it's not cute. I'm over here trying my best to lift my children through literature. A little help please? Shame on Rhett Miller. What a sad waste of paper and ink. One star since I can't give it none.
Allison
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun! I'd say older kids will vibe with the ridiculous/gross/dark silliness. I'm seeing a lot of negative feedback for this book and I immediately think of how controversial Shel Silverstein's poems were but how kids ate them right up.
Jessica Cassavar
Apr 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book is not appropriate for children! The brotherly love poem is literally about killing your brother? I am not sure how this even got published.
Erin Brunk
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Singer and songwritter Rhett Miller has formed this collection of hilarious poems that are sure to make anyone laugh. Hitting on both family issues and modern issues, middle school students are sure to laugh at the hilarity that ensues. These poems trepass into the territory of toliet humor more often than not, but structurely, these poems are sound models for teaching middle school students on how to harness their voice in writing.

Middle school students love to be entertained, and by using a
Chance Lee
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it, poetry
Goofy poem book with fun illustrations. Most of the poems are rude or gross and they're all offbeat and I think a certain type of kid will love them. Any humorless troll with no capacity to identify with children who seriously thinks their kid will get ideas on how to kill their siblings by reading the "Brotherly Love" poem should get their little children of the corn (or, actually, themselves) to therapy ASAP.
Stacy
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I read this book strictly because it was illustrated by Dan Santat. It was okay, I suppose - reminded me of Shel Silverstein. Many of the poems were rude and nasty. The one called "Brotherly Love" bothered me. To each their own.
Rachel N
Apr 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
I wont speak for the rest of the poems however the poem Brotherly Love should not be in a childrens book of poems. It is very dark, violent, and sadistic. I would be appalled if one of my young children read it.... ...more
Chris
There's been some controversy about one of the poems in this collection, "Brotherly Love." I've got to admit that I think it's a riot, but I love it as an adult. I do think it's not quite the poem to be included in a book of poetry for kids from 7 to 10, and I'm really surprised that the editor didn't think about all the parents (and teachers) that might potentially be up in arms about a poem that tells some pretty descriptive ways to kill your sibling....smothering with a pillow, dousing with ...more
Nicky Riblett
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I believe that this book is phenomenal. From the beginning when i was drawn to the colors of the cover, my mind got so excited i saw the word "poem" and in a kids book! From the singing blue haired dad , pink haired sister and the irritated brother i was smiling instantly laughing in my mind. I mean sometimes in life you have to make it interesting. I have a song to get up in the morning with my kids. Mainly my daughter. My first poem i went to was my device. My heart raced reading line by line. ...more
Sandy
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Hard to rate a book like this. My daughter found some of these poems hilarious. Others (especially some of the more violent or gross) ones she was not a fan of. For the poem Purple Pox (which my daughter read repeatedly) 5 stars, but Brotherly Love she found disturbing.
Alyssa Walker
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
The book In My opinion is more of adult humor then for children, some are funny & some are a little dark a book in verse that just gets worse makes sense to why its a little dark but overall I got a good laugh in with my co workers, ...more
Ruth
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ben laughed himself silly reading these.
Lauren Herzog
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Filled with such cute poems similar to Shel Silverstein.
Laura Molinario
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Poetry for kids - big and small!
Kelly
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dan Santat is a treasure! His art combined with the charming and cheeky poems by Rhett Miller make for an enjoyable read that I will definitely recommend to poetry seekers.
Tonya
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book of poetry was only published because Rhett Miller is a celebrity. We cant all be Shell Silverstein. ...more
Gigi
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Kids will get a kick out of the poems. Excellent illustrations by Dan Dantat!
Alyssa
Apr 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
I think the Brotherly Love poem is disgusting and appalling. Not at all appropriate for children. This book should not be on store shelves. ...more
Gail
Some of them were really cute poems! Picked this up to read because we love Dan Santat's illustrations.
Kelly
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very entertaining book of silly, gross, and weird poems for kids. Fantastic book!
Sarah Wyatt
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read one of these poems ("Purple Pox") to two first grade classes, and both times they yelled, "Read another one!!"
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Most poems were hilarious, but a few went too far and were cringe worthy.
Marisol Sanchez-Matias
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I think this book is very interesting and gives traditional poems a different perspective. I would use this book in classroom to show students the various ways of writing poetry.
Valerie
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5, liked some poems more than others.

2020 Tx Bluebonnet
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Place to Land: Martin Luther King Jr. and the Speech That Inspired a Nation
  • If I Built a School
  • Pass Go and Collect $200: The Real Story of How Monopoly Was Invented
  • What Do You Do with a Voice Like That?: The Story of Extraordinary Congresswoman Barbara Jordan
  • Rocket to the Moon! (Big Ideas That Changed the World, #1)
  • Stay
  • Caterpillar Summer
  • The Rhino in Right Field
  • A Wolf Called Wander
  • Frankie Sparks and the Class Pet
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Saturday