Start by marking “Internment” as Want to Read:
Internment

Internment

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  16,784 ratings  ·  3,486 reviews
Rebellions are built on hope.

Set in a horrifying near-future United States, seventeen-year-old Layla Amin and her parents are forced into an internment camp for Muslim American citizens.
With the help of newly made friends also trapped within the internment camp, her boyfriend on the outside, and an unexpected alliance, Layla begins a journey to fight for freedom, leading a
Published March 19th 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published March 18th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Internment, please sign up.
Lee No, beautiful language with wonderful quotable lines, but not in verse
Johanna Burton The other answer has it right in terms of sex but there is a lot of strong language and the f-word is used fairly frequently all throughout the book.

·  16,784 ratings  ·  3,486 reviews

Start your review of Internment
Hannah Greendale
A powerful premise that crumbles under weak execution. According to Ahmed, Internment takes place '"fifteen minutes" into America's future.'* It's a terrifying "What if?" that sees seventeen-year-old Muslim American Layla, and her family, gathered against their will and shipped to an interment camp for Muslims who have been labeled prisoners of war.

Blunt is the word best-used to describe this book. Delivery of ideals and themes is heavy-handed. Everything is blatantly on the nose, spelled out i
megs_bookrack
This hurts my heart to write this, y'all, as Internment was one of my most anticipated reads of 2019. I'm so sad to report that it didn't work for me.

One reason for my excitement was that this novel explores topics that need to be included more often in fiction.

This book did touch on many issues salient in today's world, such as: Islamophobia, xenophobia, the dangers of an 'us vs. them' mentality, the politics of fear, the importance of resistance movements in initiating change, black op sites,
Lala BooksandLala
Important topic. Horrifying circumstances. Necessary perspective. Just could have been better as an overall narrative. Fuller review within this video: https://youtu.be/jqL3ZMvLqvg ...more
Bang Bang Books
A two star is harsh-I know but it had to be done.

Last year I said I was no longer going to say that a writer is bad; I was going to start saying that their writing was not for me. In this case, I'll have to go back on my word and say that I don't think Ahmed is a good writer.

I thought the idea was good but the execution...YIKES!!!

Problem #1-The World. It's set in a not so distant alternate universe but Ahmed doesn't explain it; she just assumes the reader will fucking figure it out...um, no. If
jv poore
I really and truly wanted to write a review for this phenomenal YA fiction that is so perilously close reality...it kinda takes my breath away. I cannot find the words.

Read it.

If you dare.
Jenna is buying a house and mostly too busy for GR ❤ ❀  ❤
File:Manzanar Flag.jpg
(Scene of barrack homes at Manzanar, a War Relocation Authority Center for citizens of Japanese ancestry during WWII, by Dorothea Lange)

Internment is a timely work of fiction, imagining what could easily happen in an America where people are controlled by fear and prejudice. In an America where Donald Trump is elected president. In an America where people gullibly follow the populist, who rants and raves about building walls and "making America great again".

Set shortly after the 2016 presidentia
human
(1.5/5)
"oh, corporal reynolds, hold me in your strong manly arms as i swoon for the millionth time- oh wAIT AREN'T YOU MY OPPRESSOR BEGONE HEATHEN" *proceeds to be held by him while he says things typical of the enemy love interest*
- my friend (I said I was going to steal that, didn't I), who happened to read this book around the same time I did but managed to say everything far clearer than I will :) )

Honestly, I'm more disappointed in this book than in my own existence.

I think my main tak
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Original review posted on my blog : Word Wonders

TW: Islamophobia, slurs, displacement, internment camp, violence, torture, electrocution, gunshots, death.

If you know me, you know that this one of my most anticipated releases and I’m still in a little in denial about the fact that I read it back at the end of 2018, and it’s all done. I admittedly didn’t love it as much as I hoped but I still have a lot of love for it. I will go in detail about the why of it a little further down in the review bu
Vicky Again
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Internment is not a perfect story. But it is so, so powerful.

I know people will say that this book sounds “exaggerated” or “tries too hard,” but I personally disagree with the idea that Internment is overdoing it. Very strongly.

Internment shows a dangerous future that may be shocking to some, but isn’t unimaginable to me. This book shows a future that could be very likely if we don’t speak out against it.

It’s scary. It’s so scary. I think people who find this as a caricature or as overblown ne
Saajid Hosein
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Samira came through with the book, but left with my wig.
pdbkwm
Jul 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
I feel horrible about my feelings towards Internment and for the one star. From a reader's standpoint, this is probably the worst book that I've read all year. I didn't care about the writing, I don't think any of the characters felt real or were fleshed out and the premise, while having tons of potential, felt more like an after school special than anything else. It just felt shallow.

And this hurts. It hurts because Internment is about Muslims and I’m a Muslim. The rise of Islamophobia is stead
halfirishgrin
There is a lot to love about this book, especially since it focuses on some grim realities for Muslims in our world today, along with the possibility of a pretty grim future for us too.

I'm mostly rating this 3 stars because I feel like this book didn't push enough, when it should have. For me, it was strongest when the book really dug into the history of interning marginalised people under propaganda and oppressive leadership. Like the parallels Ahmed draws to WWII and Nazi concentration camps
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
RTC after tonight's liveshow, which is happening at 7pm PST on Kassie's channel. ...more
Blaine
Sep 24, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library, 2021
Internment is a YA novel and I am, sadly, decades past being a YA myself. So when I say this book didn’t work for me perhaps that should be expected because I’m not the target audience. But good YA novels—certainly the best ones—appeal to readers of all ages. The substantial flaws here prevent this book from having much adult appeal.

Set “fifteen minutes into our future,” Internment tells the what-if story of America passing a series of laws to marginalize and then actually imprison Muslim-Americ
Suad Shamma
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, own, favourites
So. I’m surprised at the amount of negative reviews this book has gotten. Seems like the only thing readers got out of the story is a 17-year-old girl obsessed with her boyfriend and not fit to lead a revolution. That makes me kind of sad, to tell you the truth, and super disappointed.

The expectations people have these days…unreasonable. They strip down a really important story into tiny details that, honestly, are not important to the overall plot.

Yes, Layla was obsessed with finding a way to
*mk*
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book had a good message at an important time but would have been much better in a different writer’s hands, or perhaps if it had taken a more mature tone. I thought the writing was sometimes inspired and sometimes amateur-ish. I almost wish the book had spent more time with the how it all happened, too. The villain was so cartoonish, I wish the author had gone much more subtle with that. The teenage dialogue was stilted and immature (though this may be a personal problem; I have i ...more
nivedha
rtc when i'm not furiously covering for a far-too-relaxed group partner.
---
i did not like internment very much. i understand the point the author was trying to make, but it just felt too rushed to me. the characters were bland and boring, and the plot was predictable and old.
layla, the protagonist, was one-dimensional. does she feel any emotion other than anger? she's reckless and foolish, and doesn't consider the safety of people around her. sure, starting a revolution is important, but not on
Sleepless Dreamer
Jan 08, 2022 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have a great idea for a novel: a ya book about slavery but with people with disabilities. A dystopian world exactly like ours but suddenly slavery is happening again and this time, towards people with disabilities. Why? Cause they also experience discrimination nowadays, of course.

If this sounds like a bad idea that removes historical context and has great potential to minimize Black experiences while also not going really in depth into disabled people’s experiences, you can understand why In
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
When the president's new Exclusion Act sends American-Muslims into "camps," Layla decides that enough is enough. She's going to fight back. No matter what the cost.

Four years ago, this book's premise would be ridiculous. Over the top. No way in hell would America ever lock its own citizens into concentration camps "for their protection and for the protection of the country." Never again.

Fast forward to today.

Not only is this an entirely plausible scenario,, it's also one that has happened, in so
julianna ➹
what a waste of ten hours (or 3.33 hours, for me) since i only read audiobooks on 3x speed 😎

this honestly feels like a disservice to the very real history of internment camps everywhere? i mean, don't worry about trying to survive when you have a hottie guard looking out for you that you can scream at and he will just be like "i'm so sorry bb let me get you a burner phone to call your boyfriend"

there were so many things about this book that made me mad and/or frustrated, so i'm just going to com
Justine
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2019-read

This book is set 15 minutes in the future, but it feels like it's happening right now. It's a frightening yet realistic look at the path America is on and what that potentially means for Muslim Americans and other non-Christian and/or non-white people.

The migrant workers and immigrants whose status is currently coming under scrutiny and fire, and their horrific treatment by the current administration shows the camp imagined in Internment already effectively exists in the United States.
Kassie
A POWERFUL read. This book set my anxiety on high during the first 2/3-3/4. Samira Ahmed illustrates clearly how today’s America could become this dystopian and it was terrifying.

I knocked a star off because the ending felt a little too easy, a little too clean. It was jarring how wuickly we went from this horrifying reality to the fix.

Still a highly recommended read, and i can’t wait to discuss at the end of April on my channel for Sassy Book Club.
Pernille Ripp
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to receive an advance review copy of this book, and what can I say, this is a must read. Even if the book is incredibly hard to read at times it is meant to start conversations about the state of our country and what we can do to be the America we need to be.
Librariann
Okay, listen. I wanted to like this book, and I did plow through it, but the initial conceit required SO MUCH suspension of disbelief as portrayed in this book that I just could not. Do I think it's possible that America could detain Muslims based only on their religion? Absolutely. However, would they do it in THIS particular fashion? COULD NOT BUY.

- Single camp established as a "model," includes ENTIRE FAMILIES of people, from toddlers through teens.
- No real assessment of what criteria was u
Drew's ambitious reading
Wow! Why haven't I read this book before?? It was so good but also such a hard hitting contemporary!(:
Review time!
Internment by samira ahmed was a book I had on my shelf for awhile now ever since it came out! I wasn't really intrested in this one for a hot minuet until it got picked out of my tbr jar for July. This book was so hard to put down it was a fast pace and very hard hitting novel. This deals with our main character layla who one day she's hanging out with her boyfriend at their house
Rachel
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked on Internment from the very beginning, and I couldn’t stop reading. However, this book was hard to read because it felt so realistic — set “fifteen minutes in the future,” it’s scary to think what people in power can do out of fear.
Colin
TOTAL READING TIME: 4 hours, 34 minutes.

Wow. That was... Jesus Christ, that was intense.

A book I found this to be similar to was Mark Oshiro's Anger is a Gift. Both explore current, real-life issues--Islamophobia in the Trump era and police brutality against Black Americans, respectively. Both also have slight elements of science fiction--Anger is a Gift features militaristic weapons (that sounded futuristic in my opinion but for all I know could be real weapons that aren't being used yet) and I
Enne
”America is built on life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. All those things have been ripped away from us, and I believe that every American who came before us, who stood up to oppression, who fought to guarantee our right to religious freedom, is looking down on us and telling us to rise up, to speak out, to shout our names to the world. We stand on the shoulders of giants. We are Americans. We make America great. This is our country. And we're taking it back.”

4 stars
TW: Islamophobia (c
kate
Powerful, moving and chilling to the bone.

A brilliantly written story of resistance, hope, the strength of teens and the power of fighting for you right to live.

The opening chapter was like a sucker punch to the gut. I physically flinched numerous time throughout the book, which is something I rarely do but the most terrifying this about this book? It should have felt fictional, like some way of dystopian but instead, it was all too real. This kind of scenario shouldn't be happening but it is,
Lou (nonfiction fiend)
Internment is a timely and politically urgent young adult novel which explores life as Muslim-American in the not too distant future. It's an all too real tale of division and hurt between communities but also hope. Islamophobia and racism are at the heart of it all, and I think the reason it's been causing such a stir is because people realise that it isn't too far from becoming our reality. This is a stark warning, a call to action, and an order to stand up, be counted and resist the bigotry, ...more

• The Escape of Light
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • Punching the Air
  • With the Fire on High
  • Dear Martin (Dear Martin, #1)
  • On the Come Up
  • Slay
  • The Speed of Falling Objects
  • In the Shadow of Heroes
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • Gribblebob's Book of Unpleasant Goblins
SAMIRA AHMED was born in Bombay, India, and grew up in Batavia, Illinois, in a house that smelled like fried onions, spices, and potpourri. She currently resides in the Midwest. She’s lived in Vermont, New York City, and Kauai, where she spent a year searching for the perfect mango.

A graduate of the University of Chicago, she taught high school English for seven years, worked to create over 70 sma

Articles featuring this book

Ellen Oh is an award-winning author of middle grade and young adult novels, including The Dragon Egg Princess, A Thousand Beginnings and...
“The scariest monsters are the ones who seem the most like you.” 25 likes
“A compass doesn’t tell you where you are, and it doesn’t tell you where you have to go. It can only point you in a direction. It’s up to you to always find your true north.” 22 likes