Start by marking “You and I Eat the Same: On the Countless Ways Food and Cooking Connect Us to One Another (MAD Dispatches, Volume 1)” as Want to Read:

(Dispatches)

Named one of the Best Food Books of the Year by The New Yorker, Smithsonian, The Boston Globe, The Guardian, and more

MAD Dispatches: Furthering Our Ideas About Food

Good food is the common ground shared by all of us, and immigration is fundamental to good food. In nineteen thoughtful and engaging essays and stories, You and I Eat the Same explores the ways in which cooking and eating connectYorker,
Published October 2nd 2018 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about You and I Eat the Same, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You and I Eat the Same

Start your review of You and I Eat the Same: On the Countless Ways Food and Cooking Connect Us to One Another (MAD Dispatches, Volume 1)
Lauren
A spectacular essay anthology highlighting food and cooking culture as the common threads that draw humans together. Essays range from differences in table etiquette, ubiquity of certain condiments and flatbreads, how fires burn and are used in different kinds of cooking, the misnomer of "ethnic" foods, and many other topics.

These topics lend themself easily to a larger discussion on trade, immigration, and communication.
"Does eating other people's food make us more open to engaging
Sara
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I am not at all surprised that this book was named one of the Best Food Books of the Year by The New Yorker, Smithsonian, etc. I absolutely loved it. Yes, I’m predisposed to love foodie books but this one was brilliant. In the introduction by Chris Ying there’s a line stating that this essay collection can be dipped in and out of, but I blew this this book from cover to cover in two days even while savoring the gorgeous photography, the intelligent paragraphs, and the rabbit holes of thought it ...more
Pam
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a world where everyone is quick to pick apart the differences between groups, food can be a great unifier. The essays in this collection do an excellent job of showing that many foods are similar around the world, even if we don't think of them that way (for example, every culture wraps bread around meat). The book alternates between personal stories and investigations into particular cuisines and ingredients. You can skip from chapter to chapter or read the whole book through, but you will b ...more
January Gray
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and Informative. Makes you think about immigration and what we eat. Grateful on a personal level for the different cultural experiences.
Gretchen
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this up on impulse from the new books shelf at the library and it was a delightful anthology. Some stories hit me more than others (especially the three at the end, and the stories of three women at La Cocina in San Francisco. This isn’t heavy on research but it’s all the more charming for it. Would recommend for fans of Mind of a Chef, Salt Fat Acid Heat and Queer Eye <3.
Natalie Draper
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is, pardon me, absolutely delicious. I sat down at my desk on a Saturday to skim through it and ended up reading the whole thing, loving every minute, audibly exclaiming "wow!" much to the bafflement of my office mate. The essays are lively and could be consumed a la carte, but so well organized that if the reader wishes to consume the book entirely in order it flows much like a well-arranged multi-course meal. A delightful collection of multicultural food writing you'll want to share ...more
Ms. Arca
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. This is one of those anthologies that is balanced on feelings, research to make you think, and sociological conundrums... it was the best before bed read because each essay was a perfect length and rich with stories / food for thought. I loved the diversity of voices, the nuance at trying to sort out current conversations around food (what is cultural appropriation in cooking?!), and the photos were beautiful, too.

I can see this being used for so many things and am racking up
Fiore
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An extraordinary read with essays on how food has done so much for us in both connecting us and keeping us apart. Covers a range of items such as how calling restaurants "ethnic" is another way of labeling food made by a group as "other" to how the crafting of milk and cheese brings those in a Mexican and Mennomite community together. Who knew an article about coffee could spawn such strong feelings?
Patti
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I started reading this book I didn't think I was going to like it, but the essays were very interesting and some were laugh out loud funny! This book shares our common love for food and coming together to enjoy it (or not) with one another.
Brooke Everett
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Like an expanded issue of the dearly beloved Lucky Peach (RIP), this collection of essays is a timely exploration of how good food is a common thread between all cultures. Immigration and the spread of ingredients, ideas, and techniques are at the core of cuisine. Accented with gorgeous photos, these topics are also downright fun (at least to my inner culinary anthropologist).

I knew I would love this book when I opened it to a random page and was greeted by a one-page essay entitled,
Janet
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the publisher ---

Dispatches is an inspired and ambitious collaboration between MAD, the international nonprofit organization founded by noma chef/co-owner René Redzepi and Lucky Peach cofounder/editor in chief Chris Ying. Each edition of this new series of single-subject books will encourage readers to think about food in new ways and take action to make food better. Each book will unpac
Navya
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, food
I was intrigued by the premise of the collection - shared habits and practices in food - particularly having mostly read about differences in cuisines often taking the central space in food-related writings. It did not disappoint.

Every essay takes a different approach on the 'common factors', with some talking about shared ingredients, others about shared techniques, eating habits, operations chain, philosophy or marketing behind food among others. Each of them approach their matter and narrati
Jill Blevins
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Did this book get such amazing reviews because everyone is obsessively in love with Rene Redzepi? This book is like a special issue of The New Yorker, with all the cool kids writing their favorite foodie stories and memories and, well, lists. It's actually not as good as a special issue of The New Yorker because there is no Jane Meyer, no John McPhee, nobody except the famous, beautiful, extremely nice Danish guy who writes something you've probably read already at least a few times.

I guess I w
Heather
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley and a very special thanks to Workman Publishing. The first copy of the ARC I received was a pdf and I couldn’t read it on my Kindle. The publisher was kind enough to send me a print copy, which is beautiful by the way and has lots of great photos, to make it easier. The premise of the book is we all eat similar items, but they go by different names and various forms. Each story is written by a different food expert.

The first story profiles flatbreads. In India, th
Kristine
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
You and I Eat the Same by Chris Ying, et. al. is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early September.

This book has a cover and compilation style that reminds me a whole lot of a high school textbook; mainly with topics on how food defines us as individuals and within global cultures; filled flatbreads; origins of foods; migration and similar movement/transfer of food-related labor and practices; cooking techniques and using heat; profiles of chefs/cooks/business owners; as well as the problemat
Bethany
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
A collection of food essays digging at the heart of flavor and culture. I enjoyed the photography and especially the profiles of specific immigrants’ food stories.

[Cilantro] “The plant originated in the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern regions, then move to North Africa and India, then on to China and Southeast Asia. Portuguese and Spanish merchants brought it to Mesoamerica. It is an immigrant plant that has affected improved cuisine wherever it’s moved.
-You And I Eat the Same
Sandy
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
March's Foodie Bookclub selection. A very interesting take on how people around the world actually do eat the same types of food. Each chapter is presented by a different person in a different part of the world telling stories about eating or growing food or how they are helping their country grow better food.
Gabriel Chabran
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book

My favorite aspect is how it reads like a short story collection/ magazine. I love how it’s broken down into manageable stories that cover so much ground. Would recommend for anyone who’s interested in reading about where food comes from and how’s it consumed.
Reuben
A really enjoyable quick read about the ways that food brings us together as a species. Comprised of several short, magazine-style articles about a variety of topics and illustrated with beautiful photography.
Monika
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a delightful collection of essays exploring food and culture. On how food ties people together in more ways than we imagine. Really enjoyed this one
Brit
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely anthologies on the common thread of our foodways. My only critique is that I wish there were more!
Carsi
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short stories about the ways different cultures have similar connections. I enjoyed the multiple perspectives and different writer voices.
Erika
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some fascinating stories, highly recommend
Maria Vargas
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read- really expands your mind into food, society and our relationships with it.
Jim
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essays from a spectrum of authors on varied topics. Insightful digs into off-beat topics with the color we expect when Chris Ying is involved.
Austin Burnett
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful book on food culture!
Stephen Rötzsch Thomas
A couple of really impactful pieces tucked amongst well-meaning but not particularly revelatory essays.
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy from the publisher through NetGalley.
Andrew
May 02, 2019 added it
Mostly great.
Jesica DeHart
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vibrant and fascinating book that brings us all together over something everyone does every day. Food has stories, history, overlap across continents and trends. A fascinating book for every foodie who wishes to know more.

• Foundations of Flavor: The Noma Guide to Fermentation
  • Buttermilk Graffiti: A Chef’s Journey to Discover America’s New Melting-Pot Cuisine
  • The Third Plate: Field Notes on the Future of Food
  • The Best American Food Writing 2018
  • Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, and Advice for Living Your Best Life
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen