Start by marking “Izzy + Tristan” as Want to Read:
Izzy + Tristan

Izzy + Tristan

Izzy, a practical-minded teen who intends to become a doctor, isn't happy about her recent move from the Lower East Side across the river to Brooklyn. She feels distanced from her family, especially her increasingly incomprehensible twin brother, as well as her new neighborhood.

And then she meets Tristan.

Tristan is a chess prodigy who lives with his aunt and looks up to
Published March 12th 2019 by Poppy

Chiara
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, recommended
Finished in one sitting. I want to go cry in a corner now.
Michele
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Thank you @littlebrownyoungreaders for this free review copy! Izzy and Tristan is the most sought after ARC of our book club.

Izzy’s family moves into a neighborhood nothing like their old one. Tristan is trying to keep his head above water while playing chess for bets for his cousin. Tempers flare and clash, leading to the meeting of these two fated lovers. Are there cliché scenes? Yes. Do they work for the story? Yes.

Two teens who fight to stay together despite it all and then... ugh! Such a
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
I have always adored the story of Tristan and Isolde and jumped for joy at the idea of a retelling.. but this, my loves, was not the retelling I was talking about. I had so, so, so many issues with this. I did not care for the story or the characters. I never connected to any part of it. It was nothing more than MEH.
ItsNasB
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This had potential but it fell short for me. The love story did not pull me in, which is surprising since the very first line in the prologue did and set high expectations. The language used felt over the top and yet not enough to deliver a believable insta-love romance.

There's a plotline that involved consent- lack thereof, actually- that was not sufficiently addressed or resolved. The way race was handled- avoided for majority of the book and tacked on quickly at the end- left much to be desir
Brooklyn Tayla
Kate (beautifulbookland)
This book is the exact reason why, most of the time, I read the ending of the book first.

Why? Because I read the epilogue of this book beforehand and it still broke my heart. Can you imagine if I’d been unprepared? Because I don’t even want to think about it.

Izzy + Tristan is a contemporary retelling, based on the story of Iseult and Tristan (of which I’d never heard of before now - I am an uncultured swine).

The pair meet after Izzy and her family move into Tristan’s neighbourhood, and while th
Angela Smith
An old story for a new generation. This book tells the tale of Tristan and Iseult but in 21st century Brooklyn. Sixteen year old "Izzy" and her family are new to the neighbourhood. She has a twin brother called Hull who is a bit of a strange one. Then there is Tristan or as his cousin Marcus likes to call him "T" Tristan is a chess prodigy and Marcus is a bit of a budding street thug who uses T to make money off his play chess.

I really understand very little about the game of chess, but it still
Mignon
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Izzy & Tristan is a beautifully written, modern twist on an old tale. Vivid descriptions of Brooklyn create the perfect backdrop for this version of the story. I especially enjoyed the narrative structure told from the perspectives of each of the teenage main characters. The writer has so masterfully captured the drama of high school, at times you feel as if you're back there yourself, staring down another taco bowl lunch. This was a quick read, and once you pick it up, you won't want to put ...more
Katie Hurse
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-4 stars
I kind of took a break in the middle of reading this and I wish I hadn't because I think if I'd kept going, I might have loved it a little more/give it a straight 4 star review. The first 40% or so was really strong in my opinion; I really love Shannon Dunlap's writing style. Then the middle 40% was a little slower and that's when I started to get antsy and took a little hiatus from reading it. The last 20% I just finished reading and it was really impactful. The ending was pretty stu
Camilla (thecrazyreader)
3.25 stelle!
Ankara
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,75 ⭐
It started out as a clichéd, insta-love, teen love story, but the ending was great.
Cora Tea Party Princess
Hi, my feels are hurting. Make it stop.
Nick Gardner
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a retelling of the Tristan and Isolde story, there was a lot of opportunity to fall right into the cliche. However, the author was able to turn many beautiful and original phrases, and stir in plenty of social and political commentary to make this retelling unique.
Though I am not one to read many young adult stories, I felt that this novel made itself available to the young adult audience while taking a closer, unjaded look at society around us. It is a relevant and important book as well as
Jessica Rempel (one.book.at.a.time)
Firstly, I want to thank Hachette Book Group Canada for sending me an ARC of Izzy + Tristan in exchange for my honest review!

Izzy + Tristan is a YA contemporary that features a sweet romance between two high school characters and also deals with heavy, important issues such as racial tension, police brutality, and gang violence. It alternates between three first-perspectives - Izzy, Tristan, and Brianna.

When it comes to books, especially YA contemporaries, characterization is very important to m
Lilyfae
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent and inclusive story that crosses genres and target audiences to be a universal observation of love and the challenges it can face:
A timeless love story steeped in the classic legend of Tristan & Iseult/Isolde, brought to the modern streets of Brooklyn, sort of what West Side Story did for Romeo & Juliet though this time without the song & dance.
Bringing in aspects of high school politics, New York street culture, gentrification and Black Lives Matter juxtaposed w
Hasina (PagesEnchanted)
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of contemporary
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Thanks to Hachette Book Group Canada for sending me a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

This story is based off of Tristan and Iseult (or Isolde) and the plot incorporated those elements well. It added a modern twist that would attract younger readers.

The characters were what brought a lot to this story. The main characters were Izzy or Iseult, Tristan, Brianna, Marcus, and Hull. The story begins when Izzy and Hull, twins, move to a new neighbourhood, which jus
Aoife
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I really enjoyed this one. I'm only vaguely familiar with Tristan and Iseult, but the story was brilliant on its own, if somewhat heartbreaking.The main four characters were very well done. A fantastic read and one I'll definitely recommend to people when it publishes.

I received a proof in exchange for an honest review.

The cold air nips at us as we circle the reservoir. In the distance, the reservoir's fountain shoots into the air, the powerful gush of it shattering on the wind as it falls. It's
Billie
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another reviewer mentioned the consent/deception issue—an issue which was never addressed with the person deceived, which is very, very problematic— and the race issue and I completely agree with their concerns. I also think the characterizations were shallow (especially Hull, who could have been an interesting psychopath, but was, instead, just a psychopath) and the plot adhered too slavishly to the legend of Tristram and Iseult, necessitating some plot acrobatics on the part of the author. And ...more
Deanna Dunlap
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished this wonderfully written book last night. I honestly could have finished it in one sitting, but started it too late Friday.😊 Beautiful YA story about first love with a suspenseful undertone that draws you in. Recommended for ages 14 and up. John Green fan? This will be right up your alley, but with a bit darker feel. I could have read this quickly even if it was 500 pages... the ending is worth every minute I spent reading it and more. I love the creativity with the chapter names/point ...more
Alice in Wonderland
I got this as an ARC copy at YALC back in July, and thought it would be interesting as it’s a retelling of the classic Tristan and Isolde story. I did enjoy this book, I loved the depth of all the characters and how they were all compared to chess characters, and I love a bit of romantic deception. However this who book felt rushed. The love story was at an okay pace but the last few chapters of the aftermath just felt empty and as the book reached its climax. The ending itself is powerful but t ...more
Chelsea
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This fell really short and didn’t live up to all the hype for me. The love story just didn’t pull me in at any point. It all just went by so fast, never staying in a moment long enough for me to connect. It was over(very predictably) before it ever really began. Maybe it’s because I’m not familiar with the original story of Tristan and Isolde? I don’t know but it was all very meh.
Gracie
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sofia
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book just did not sit right with me. I don’t really know why but everything felt forced and nothing felt authentic.
Jane
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
well written; good read but too sad for me
Lissa Hawley
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, but did not enjoy the ending.
Anna
  • The Ones That Disappeared
  • Jack of Hearts
  • The Taste of Blue Light
  • The Survival Game
  • Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds (Jane Doe Chronicles #1)
  • The Sound of Drowning
  • Cold Day in the Sun
  • Out of Heart
  • This Beats Perfect (This Beats Perfect #1)
  • The Worst Girlfriend in the World