Start by marking “A Marriage of Attachment: a sequel to A Contrary Wind” as Want to Read:
A Marriage of Attachment: a sequel to A Contrary Wind

A Marriage of Attachment: a sequel to A Contrary Wind

Published July 28th 2018

To ask other readers questions about A Marriage of Attachment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Marriage of Attachment

Start your review of A Marriage of Attachment: a sequel to A Contrary Wind
Debbie
I must start off with a warning: This review contains spoilers for those who have NOT read the prequel to this book, A Contrary Wind. (And if you haven't, what are you doing reading this review, anyway?)

This book continues with the same brilliance as its predecessor.

It's lovely to read as Fanny gradually gains more confidence despite the major setbacks she experienced previously and in these pages. As this story begins, she is living with Mrs. Butters. More importantly, she is embarking on a ne
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
What Happens When Edmund Marries Mary Crawford and Fanny Builds Her Own Life?

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Sequel to a Mansfield Park variation, A Contrary Wind

TIME FRAME: Begins a year and a half after the close of A Contrary Wind, Fanny is 20.

SERIES: Book 2 of 3? Potential readers should read A Contrary Wind first to fully appreciate and understand all that is taking place in this second book of the series.

SYNOPSIS:

Following her inventive and thoughtful Mansfield Park va
Carole (in Canada)
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Austenesque Readers, Historical Romance
Shelves: favorites, variations

As the title states, this is a sequel to 'Contrary Wind', therefore, I strongly recommend you read that one first. Not only because you would be missing so much in the substance and continuity of the story, but because it is just a brilliant adaptation/variation to Jane Austen's 'Mansfield Park'.

The journey continues for most of the characters of 'Mansfield Park' as they each adapt to their new circumstances and their new adventures.

"I remain frozen in place, sir. I cannot move backward or for
Mark Brownlow
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"A Marriage of Attachment" continues the Mansfield Park variation that began with "A Contrary Wind". Both are a delight to read. Frankly, I just love Lona Manning's writing style. I'd probably buy a book of shed assembly instructions from her if she wrote it in her wonderfully Austenesque manner.

The main protagonists are not cardboard cutouts, but richly developed, each with their personality flaws so always interesting (yes, even Fanny Price). Edmund still needs someone to sit him down with a
Christina
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans
Shelves: austenesque
Great “what if” about “Mansfield Park” and some beloved characters. The pairings have been changed and Fanny is off on her own —so that is a leap of faith—but the characterizations are faithful to Austen and the story is clever. Author Lona Manning does a masterful job reimaging Austen’s most debated novels. This should be read sooner than later!
A.E. Walnofer
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book! Just like the author's other book, A Contrary Wind, this book made me feel like I was reading something that Jane Austen actually wrote herself. The style, story and diction are so Austenesque, nothing like so many of those disappointing Regency romance knock-offs that are flooding the bookshelves right now. I highly recommend it!
Susan
The story of the Bertrams and Prices continue in this sequel, and variation of Mansfield Park. Characters from the first book are still here plus new ones. I would recommend that you read A Contrary Wind first (another excellent book).
I thoroughly enjoyed this well-written variation and would recommend it even if Mansfield Park is not a favourite book.
An entertaining re-read
victoria_tonks
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RTC
Tammy Buchli
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although I do have a bit of a purist bent, I read a LOT of Austenations, some of which are pretty lightweight. Manning’s books are not that. They are maniacally well-researched, gorgeously written, and wholly accurate in character. I can’t wait for the next one! I wholeheartedly recommend her books to any Austen purists who are interested in reading a variation just for fun.
Lit Reader
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had not finished the previous book with any sense of closure or satisfaction, so I needed to pick up the continuation at some point. This sequel remains well written in the most basic sense of the word (good vocabulary, logical sensible sentences, good period research); and yet it is written with such contempt for the original Mansfield Park that (to me) it is shocking, absurd and disrespectful.

I've read *lots* of Austenesque, Austen fanfiction, variations, sequels, vagaries, alternate paths
Callista Hunter
Oct 21, 2018
Dec 17, 2019
Vicki Kondelik
Nov 30, 2018
BoxerLover2
rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2020
Oct 30, 2018
Li Martins
Nov 10, 2018
Lona Manning
Nov 25, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Felicia
Jan 05, 2020

• Rational Creatures
  • Yuletide: A Jane Austen-inspired Collection Of Stories
  • Speechless
  • Up Too Close (Love Overboard Book 2)
  • On Equal Ground: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary
  • Dangerous to Know: Jane Austen's Rakes & Gentlemen Rogues (The Quill Collective Book 2)
  • Mr. Bennet Takes Charge
  • Protecting What's Mine
  • Revisit Mansfield Park: How Fanny Married Henry
  • The Strange Marriage of Anne de Bourgh
  • The Darcy Legacy: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Miss Darcy Falls in Love (The Darcy Saga #6)
  • Loving Mr. Darcy: Journeys Beyond Pemberley (Darcy Saga #2)
  • In the Arms of Mr. Darcy (Darcy Saga #4)
  • My Dearest Mr. Darcy (Darcy Saga #3)
  • Darcy and Elizabeth: Hope of the Future (Darcy Saga Prequel Duo Book 2)
  • Mr. & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy: Two Shall Become One (Darcy Saga #1)
  • Darcy & Elizabeth: A Season of Courtship  (Darcy Saga Prequel Duo #1)
Lona Manning loves reading, choral singing, gardening and travel. Over the years, she has been a home care aide, legal secretary, political speech writer, office manager, vocational instructor, non-profit administrator and teacher of English as a Second Language. She spent four years teaching in China, where she began writing her debut novel, A Contrary Wind. She and her family live in the Okanaga ...more

News & Interviews