Start by marking “We Set the Dark on Fire” as Want to Read:
We Set the Dark on Fire

We Set the Dark on Fire

(We Set the Dark on Fire #1)

In this daring and romantic fantasy debut perfect for fans of The Handmaid’s Tale and Latinx authors Zoraida Córdova and Anna-Marie McLemore, society wife-in-training Dani has a great awakening after being recruited by rebel spies and falling for her biggest rival.

At the Medio School for Girls, distinguished young women are trained for one of two roles in their polarize

Published February 26th 2019 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about We Set the Dark on Fire, please sign up.
Elizabeth Mellen After reading it, it reads to me as a queer, YA Handmaid's Tale. I'd put it in sci-fi (or more specifically Dystopian) and there are no fantastical…moreAfter reading it, it reads to me as a queer, YA Handmaid's Tale. I'd put it in sci-fi (or more specifically Dystopian) and there are no fantastical elements (no monsters or magic)(less)

megs_bookrack
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At The Medio School for Girls, young women are trained for one of two roles: Primera or Segunda.

Before you get too excited, these are not highly challenging professions these girls aspire too, but societally designed and assigned 'womanly roles' within a man's household.

A Primera essentially handles the business aspects, while the Segunda takes care of the more emotional sides, raising children, providing humor and relaxation for the husband. As you can expect, a household requires both to fun
Elise (TheBookishActress)
holy shit this looks awesome I'm here for the kickass latinx wlw
saaj
what would you do if 🤔 we kissed 🧐😗 under the roof 🤭😳😳 of the rich guy we’re both married to 🙈🙈🤫😛 and we’re both girls? 😜😘😳😳😱🤭
may ➹
imagine being a weak straight man and your two wives don’t love you, and instead fall in love with each other. instantly crushed

[3.5]
mahana ❀
full review on my blog

Representation: Latina main characters and an f/f romance. According to the publisher, these are both ownvoices.

ARC kindly provided by Katherine Tegen Books in exchange for an honest review.

This was such a refreshing and original read that takes on so many prevalent issues in today's society. I hate comparing books, but if you like diverse reads with queer characters of colour that have the same vibe as The Handmaid's Tale (except Young Adult), then you'll love this. Even
Emily May
Dec 29, 2018 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, arc

ARC provided in exchange for honest review 🔥
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, Harper Collins, via Edelweiss+ for an honest review.

Opinion:

I cannot tell you guys how excited I was to receive an ARC copy of this book from Edelweiss+!

SO excited.

So, when I started actually reading, I realized…maybe, this isn’t exactly what I imagined it to be.
But naturally, I kept reading…

And reading…

And…reading…

description

*Sigh*

This was ALMOST my first DNF book of 2019.

Daniela’s family sacrificed everything they had to give her a better life.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)

After following Tehlor Kay Mejia on social media for years and hearing some early buzz about her debut, I was highly anticipating this one. And, friends, let me tell you: it did not disappoint!

We Set the Dark on Fire is set in a world that feels uncomfortably close to our own. Medio is a world in which women are expected to conform to prescribed subservient role
Dahlia
*is no longer speaking to Tehlor*

Now that we have that out of the way, this is an unsettlingly prescient read for the state of politics in 2018-19 - like, it's literally about wall-crossing "illegals"and has a bunch of characters you'll want to rip apart with your bare hands and thank God there is some kissing in there.
Scarllet ✦ Underrated Lit Warrior
If we’re not all free, none of us are free.

I'm looking forward to writing down my thoughts on the amazingness that is WSTDOF, but for now let me just say that. Ending. was. WILD. I seriously cannot wait for the next book and read what becomes of Dani, Carmen, Sota, & Alex...
Bang Bang Books
Let's start by saying that I appreciate the representation and the timeliness of the topic but unfortunately that's all which is the reason for the low rating.

The MC, Dani, was nothing special. She was the typical character who wants to please her parents even if it means sacrificing their own desires. This character that we've all read a hundred times, rebukes the rebels or ignores them until she's confronted with the realness and joins them. IF YOU MUST WRITE THIS CHARACTER THAT APPEARS IN EV
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
1) I'm always going to be here for fantastic queer women of color

2) Tehlor Kay Mejia's story in All Out was so phenomenal that I feel an empty space in my soul begging for more of her writing
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Video Review

We all know Dystopian has had its big hype and it seems like it's not coming back anytime soon. But with WE SET THE DARK ON FIRE, Tehlor Kay Mejia managed to write a truly engaging, very timely Dystopian Fantasy that feels different from what we've seen before.

“'Women, I'll never understand them.' With only his Primera and Segunda present, there was no one in the room to laugh at his joke. While he was busy congratulating himself on it, Carmen shot Dani a look over her napkin
Rachel Strolle
IMMEDIATE FAVE
IMMEDIATE FAVE
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW
HOLY F
- ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
. : ☾⋆ — 5 ★

READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!!

ARC provided from the publisher via Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review (thank you Katherine Tegen Books and HarperCollins!!)

OOF, if it isn’t one of the most exciting, original, well written and gorgeously set up books I’ve read. it’s a YA The Handmaid’s Tale AND ALSO The Handmaiden all at once: a dark, forbidden sapphic romance with intensely vivd world building?? count me in!! and as if that wasn’t enough to pique your in
Tatiana
Jan 03, 2019 marked it as lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
Nothing about the blurb sounds interesting or new, but 4 starred reviews? Can't resist...
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
I'm a simple person...
I see a Latina main character, I press TBR
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

I HAVE SO MANY THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS!!!!! I'M NOT OK!!!!! SOMEONE SEND HELP!!!!!

I absolutely adore the MC in this one, she's so smart, resourceful, strong willed and confident, she doesn't let anyone step on her toes and her trust is very hard to earn! I also loved her LI (spoiler but not really: it's f/f) and the way their attraction and later on romance bloomed! I loved the urgency and intensity of it all!
I also LOVED how politically charged this was. It set parallels w
kav (xreadingsolacex)
disclaimer: i received an arc of this novel in exchange for an honest review. this in no way impacted my review.

"I heard about men with big boots and helmets who would come in the night, step on your garden and steal your food, and make your parents disappear. I heart about a dark room with no windows where they'd take you if you didn't behave. Where they'd ask you questions until you forgot what the sun felt like on your skin. I heard about a wall so tall and so wide that if you woke up on
Traci Chee
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this gorgeous fantasy, Tehlor Kay Mejia showcases dynamic women who defy expectations, break conventions, and fight, love, and exist in a myriad of beautiful, complex ways as they burst free of the cages society has built for them. WE SET THE DARK ON FIRE is a vivid tale of political intrigue, power, and resistance that will thrill the hearts of readers.
Laura (bbliophile)
uhhh this was SO SO GOOD?

I expected it to be really good because so many people I trust have been raving about this book, but it still managed to exceed my expectations. Wow.
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the villain's quest)
⭐⭐⭐

DNF at 83%

I just wasn’t feeling it anymore so what’s the point.

Kinda liked the GxG romance though. Nice touch.
Soulsearching
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We Set the Dark on Fire is one of those books that you could not put it down because you had to see how it ended. It's an excited and interested dystopian, that in some ways reflects our current political world and it's scary sometimes.
Usually, I'm not a big fan of dystopia, but that was a great and interesting read. The book was brilliantly written, and the author did a great job with the world-building.

Our MC Dani is now one of my favorite characters this year. She's clever, compassionate, str
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
This book made me feel a lot.  Mostly anger.  But not at the book.  Just at some of the similarities to what we're seeing in the world right now.

Dani came illegally over the wall into the legal side of her country.  She still grew up close to the border which is very poor.  Her parents got her papers illegally and did everything they could to get her into the Medio School For Girls.  In this school, the girls are prepared to be married off to prominent boys.  Dani is the top in her class.  She
ak
I read a real early draft and it was magic then and from all accounts has only gotten better. I can't waaaaaittttt.

Update 12/13/2018: it has gotten better. This is a story of immigration and revolution and family. Tehlor’s written something gay and special I think.
Tucker
Dec 28, 2018 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
I love this cover by the science part of me is screaming about how it's physically impossible to set the dark in fire
Bethany
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
We Set the Dark on Fire is a lush, Latinx inspired, queer dystopian novel about political revolution, toxic masculinity, and the way we create unnecessary divisions among women. It has fantastic world-building with with a well-constructed mythology, a very intriguing plot, and epigrams at the start of each chapter, which I love as a literary device!

In this world, wealthy men take two wives to fulfill different roles in the family. The Primera is smart and logical, intended to be an intellectual
Vicky Who Reads
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drcs
4 stars

I didn’t have many expectations for what this was going to be like as I went into this book, but can I say that if I did have expectations, We Set the Dark on Fire would have blown them away?!

Like the cover, this book was both lush and gorgeous yet fierce and wild in its story. Mejia creates a world full of societal expectations and steeped in tradition, and then she works to tear down all of it throughout this book.

It was a very unique mix of genres, which I ended up enjoying! I can’t p
Janani(ஜனனி)
THIS. BOOK. IS. SO. GAY that i didn't care about the plot. i've zoned out most of the time and i'm not even sorry.
_____________
it's time for f/f relationships to have their glory and together they will throw the guts of the guys who made them feel lesser into the deep sea.
Anna Banana
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poc-heroines, f-f

Great debut! I enjoyed the writing and the world this book takes place in however I felt the romance needed more depth and felt a little rushed as well as the plot at times, though I would definitely say this book is more plot heavy than anything else. It was definitely a quick read, the pages seemed to fly by whenever I could find the time to read and I enjoyed the story the entire time. I will be reading the sequel and recommend this to YA fantasy readers looking for books with import

• The Lost Coast
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • The Wise and the Wicked
  • A Place For Wolves
  • Last Night at the Telegraph Club
  • Missing, Presumed Dead
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Children of the River Ghost
  • Full Disclosure
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • The Madness Blooms
  • All of Us with Wings
  • The Pioneer (The Pioneer, #1)
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
Tehlor Kay Mejia is a YA author and poet at home in the wild woods and alpine meadows of Southern Oregon. When she's not writing, you can find her plucking at her guitar, stealing rosemary sprigs from overgrown gardens, or trying to make the perfect vegan tamale. She is active in the Latinx lit community, and passionate about representation for marginalized teens in media. You can find her on Twi ...more

We Set the Dark on Fire (2 books)
  • We Unleash the Merciless Storm (We Set the Dark on Fire. #2)
“In a battle between two men trying to control her, she'd chosen herself.” 3 likes
“It's a viper's nest, child. I'll not deny it. See that you have the strongest venom.” 2 likes