Start by marking “Fixing Hell: An Army Psychologist Confronts Abu Ghraib” as Want to Read:
Fixing Hell: An Army Psychologist Confronts Abu Ghraib

Fixing Hell: An Army Psychologist Confronts Abu Ghraib

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This is the story of Abu Ghraib that you haven't heard, told by the soldier sent by the Army to restore order and ensure that the abuses that took place there never happen again.

In April 2004, the world was shocked by the brutal pictures of beatings, dog attacks, sex acts, and the torture of prisoners held at Abu Ghraib in Iraq. As the story broke, and the world began to
Published September 18th 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published September 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fixing Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fixing Hell

Becky
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Okay, after the first 100 pages where he set up the story it was really good. This man has had some very interesting experiences. I liked his conclusions about running a prison that can be applied to any institution or organizations, including your family.
Joe Oaster
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Admired this gentleman for not only his scholarship but his willingness to name names and really challenge the structure of the military. He is an honorable man who knows which way is up. Lead by example and really affected a great change in the culture. He has significant struggles and his own bout with PTSD so he really walked the walk and talked the talk. Excellent book.
Serena
Nov 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fixing Hell by Col. (Ret.) Dr. Larry C. James, Ph.D. is a nonfiction book about how one army psychologist takes on the task of cleaning up after public relations nightmares at detention centers in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and Abu Ghraib, Iraq.

Dr. James is sent to reform these prison/detention centers after scandals break out regarding the treatment of prisoners and detainees. After conducting research and reviewing the Stanford Prison Experiment, which details how otherwise "good" people can commit
Dinre
This book... well, it's not happy. It's actually pretty depressing. It's an interesting book, primarily about how bureaucracy, even in the military, needs more than just general rules to work. This was a gift, and I had difficulty putting it down. Afterwards, though, I'm hesitant to recommend a book that I didn't particularly enjoy reading; the material is a bit too heavy (and a bit too close to home) for me.
Elizabeth
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I got what I came for, a more thorough understanding of what went down. Unfortunately, the author sullied it with self congratulatory writing. It very much seems like he said "nailed it" to himself...
Samuel
Dec 18, 2008 rated it did not like it
Interesting material, writing is poor. In the end it wasn't really worth reading.
Jana
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting topic, but way too much profanity for me.
Jared Detter
Jun 17, 2009
Sam
Oct 20, 2017
Ariel
Sep 06, 2017
Angelica
rated it did not like it
Nov 02, 2016