Start by marking “Nos vies en mille morceaux” as Want to Read:
Nos vies en mille morceaux

Nos vies en mille morceaux

Le monde de Griff et Dylan, 13 et 15 ans, s'écroule à la fin de l'été, quand un accident de voiture les laisse orphelins. Installés à New York depuis peu, les deux frères sont d'abord recueillis par Blessing, collègue haute en couleur de leurs parents. Puis à l'autre bout du monde, chez un oncle et une tante qu'ils ne connaissent pas, dans une petite ville du Pays de Galle ...more
Published August 2018 by Gallimard Jeunesse (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Nos vies en mille morceaux, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nos vies en mille morceaux

Start your review of Nos vies en mille morceaux
Kirsti
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
OK, so after ten minutes of sobbing I'm ready to review this book. No I'm not. I had to get out of the house, stand on the porch and do some of those breathy exercises so I could come and review, so yeah. No idea why this one hit me so much in the feels, but it sneaked in and there we have it. I actually cry a lot; at videos from the Dodo, sad songs, and of course, sad books. It is almost therapeutic, but this one really hit me out of no where. OK, so.

I can talk about almost nothing of the plot
Marie Andrews
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review also here: https://lotsoflivres.com/2017/07/09/t...

The Nearest Faraway Place tells the story of brothers, Griff and Dylan, as they come to terms with a devastating family tragedy and the uncertain future which lies ahead for them. The novel is split between the US and then later on, Aberystwyth in Wales as the brothers try to settle down and overcome this event to help build their futures, with Griff and Dylan having very different paths ahead of themselves.

This book. Just WOW. Like with
Clarisse LF
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
4,5/5
It was beautiful ❤️
Suze Lavender
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The brothers Griff and Dylan are close to their parents. When they're on their way back to Manhattan after a great family holiday a terrible accident ends life as they know it. Griff and Dylan lose everything they hold dear. They have to move on, but it's difficult to live without parents when there's nobody close to look after you. Dylan worries about Griff. Will he be able to cope, can he manage without their beloved mother and father? And who will take care of the two boys, will they be okay? ...more
Wendy
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy of this book thanks to the generosity of the publishers. Wow this was a real tear jerker. I was reading this on the train travelling to work. Not a good place to read it when you are an emotional person. I am sure I must have looked a sight getting off the train with my red eyes and blotchy face.
I didn't realise that Dylan had also been killed in the crash with his parents but after I read it I thought about the clever writing containing the clues.
An enjoyable read but not in publi
Scott
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy in a Goodreads giveaway thanks to the generosity of the publishers.
I was hooked in at the beginning with the quirky writing style but then things slowed down. I lost traction.
And I kept reading and the pace would change. But then I reached a point near the end and was shocked. So shocked that I had to go back and reread key parts to check.
I can’t believe I missed the clues.
After that point in time it was a quick read. A real tear jerker.
J. Taylor
Laurina Noëlie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
this is a french book and it is very sad but a great book I really enjoyed it, it was sad, funny, happy and confusing at some times but I liked it.
Alia Therese Lazo
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary

The truth is best faced with Friends willing to go through all the pain with you

The story was slow-paced which helped establish a connection between Griff and Dylan to the reader. I felt the pain, uncertainty and even sadness they had in coping with their situation and nearly made me cry. I wanted so much to hug both of them and tell them it’s okay and that everything would turn out better.

Dylan and Griff were both reluctant to share with others their grief and the sadness that haunt

Eve beinguniquebooks
On Griff's thirteenth birthday, a happy day turns to tragedy for him and his brother Dylan, as a freak hatchback car falls from a car transporter and kills their mum and dad.

Griff is in a bad condition in hospital as Dylan is by his side awaiting his brother to wake up, Griff acts traumatized until the news sinks in later on through the book about the accident and who it killed.

Griff does come round okay only to be told he'll be going to live with their principal Blossom in Brooklyn until the Br
Falynn - the TyGrammarSaurus Rex
DNF

Not for me. I was pretty sure what was going on by page 30, but page 90 I knew, and by page 120, I was bored of the characters actively avoiding the obvious.

The writing was pretty good - although the odd formatting for the "whispering" and "shouting" got a little annoying - so if you don't pick up on the twist, it's probably an enjoyable read. But, for me, I couldn't face another 150 pages of everyone tiptoeing around what was going on to try and maintain the "suspense". YMMV.
Sammeh
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to netgalley for giving me the chance to read this story.
My heart is officially broken,stood upon and then someone jumped up and down on it. Hayley Long's doing that is! I am speechless,this book took my breath away.
Kirsty
i want to love this because I love Hayley's books but can't deal with another dead parent book ...more
Aleksandra
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chrissi
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read Downside Up by Hayley Long before, so I knew I’d enjoy her writing. From reading this book, I realise that I need to read her others as I really enjoy her writing style and the topics that she covers.

The Nearest Faraway Place centres around two brothers. On Griff’s thirteenth birthday a tragic accident occurs. Whilst in the car, another car falls from a car transporter and kills their mum and dad. It is a heartbreaking end to Griff’s birthday. Griff is alive, but recovering in hospit
Ruth Parker
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are no words.

I read this book a few months ago and realised I hadn't added it to my goodreads. After wondering for a few minutes what it was doing on my shelf but not my goodreads, I remembered that I had to put the book down for a while before I could think about reviewing it as my emotions were still in tatters.

The Nearest Faraway Place follows two brothers after a fatal car accident which killed their parents. Left orphaned, they are put up by their aunt and uncle who take care of them
Kirstie Ellen
Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
This was absolutely beautiful. It was both heart-breaking and incredible and I can't recommend this enough! It's a quick read but I've never read anything like it and the twist in the story at the end is completely and utterly unexpected. I will definitely be picking up more books from Hayley Long in the future - I can already tell now that this one is going to stick with me.

The Nearest Faraway Place
I’m actually so impressed with this book. The Nearest Faraway Plac
Elizabeth Frattaroli
I read the first three chapters of this when my daughter got it from her Toppings' Book Club as she was just finishing another book, and then I had to wait a couple of weeks to finish it, which was a challenge, as I was immediately hooked.
The story centres around brothers Griff and Dylan, who are in a terrible car accident where both their parents are killed. Dylan is worried that his younger brother is not coping well and we get a great sense of both their characters and their feelings througho
Rebecca Travers
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really loved this book. It broke my little heart and stitched it back together. I didn't get *it* (which I'm not gonna give away) but had an inkling, yet the way it's revealed still made me gasp audibly.
I read some other reviews and other people have mentioned there's no plot or little character but I think that's quite narrow. After the boys parents die in the first chapter they stay in a series of places and exist in their grief. Not a lot happens but then grief is incredibly difficult. I wa
Shane
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helena
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dylan and Griff have lost their parents in a terrible car crash in America. Initially taken in by their lovely school principal during the school holiday - they are eventually sent to live in Aberystwyth with Dee and Owen. Dylan ( named after Dylan Thomas) is very protective of Griff and seems to follow him everywhere. Griff is finding it difficult to come to terms with the tragedy and show his emotions.

Powerful writing - emotional.
and then that twist at the end.............
Read and enjoy .....
Tamara
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Griff and Dylan—Thomas, like the poet—are almost back from vacation with their parents when the unthinkable happens: a horrible car wreck kills their parents and injures Griff. Now the two boys are alone in the world and struggling with grief and tragedy. Dylan is just worried about Griff, who’s not dealing well with their reality, and Dylan must make sure his brother gets through this in one piece.

When an aunt and uncle they’ve never met offer them a home in Wales, the boys end up in a world th
Hannah Symonds
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This a story about two brothers called Griff and Dylan and how their world is turned upside down when a horrific tragedy occurs. It shows how they deal with the situation and how they pull together and look after each other. I found it a little different from the books I normally read but I still enjoyed it. I did have a few tears though. It is a fairly quick read. For a YA read it is one that will stay with me.
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always applaud books that make me cry - and this one really teared me up. Beautiful and bittersweet, this is a story that will surprise you, even as it breaks your heart. It is a book that fans of Moria Young’s The Road to Ever After will love.

When Dylan and Griff lose their parents in a fatal accident, their life of jet-setting around the world comes to a total standstill. Now taken in by their Aunt and Uncle, they must make new lives for themselves in Wales. But Dylan hides a terrible secre
Kathryn
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure if crying is the best way to start this week? I’ve finished this book, it is beautifully sad and I now want a record player. In a kind of sparkling raindrop way- you can just feel the love, and when accompanied by songs, and Aberystwyth it gives me a wonderful full emotional cup feeling. Well done Hayley Long, this years #tirnanogaward winner.
Carol
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent piece of YA fiction skilfully dealing with some very difficult themes: death, grief, love, loyalty, belonging. Could be a really important reading experience for anyone. Opens with drama and tragedy and runs through recovery with a superb twist at the end. Some moving flashbacks; not overly sentimentally but does bring a tear! Clever use of typography too, to indicate voice and mood.
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really emotional book. Two brothers both dealing with the loss of their parents who took them so many places around the world. Realising that they now might need to settle in one place longer than they usually do, they begin to open up.
But of course there is a shocking twist!
Rose
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was extremely tear-jerky, but I enjoyed it all the same. The setting changes were conducted well - sometimes uprooting the characters too dramatically can be a bit jarring, but not in this instance.
Dieuwke
Read in translation, which was awkward as the rhythm was just a little off, making it clunky rather than literary or deep.
A book with a twist, once you see it, it's obvious.

Glad I read it, had a good cry towards the end.

• This Story Is a Lie
  • Romance
  • Le Patient
  • Clownsnacht
  • Les Quatre Gars
  • Ze gaan er met je neus vandoor
  • Toffee
  • Magus of the Library, Vol. 1
  • Tales from the Inner City
Hayley Long is the author of several award-winning books for teenagers, including What’s Up with Jody Barton? and the Lottie Biggs books. She also works as an English teacher. Hayley Long lives in England.