Start by marking “Stargazing at Noon” as Want to Read:
Stargazing at Noon

Stargazing at Noon

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  139 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Whether between points of lights in the sky or the freckles on a lover’s skin, Amanda Torroni’s poetry finds the beautiful patterns in the material of life.

In this collection, Amanda Torroni expands on her previously published chapbook, Stargazing at Noon, adding over seventy poems and brand-new material. Torroni writes about intimacy, distance, the body, self-doubt,
Published February 12th 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Stargazing at Noon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stargazing at Noon

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Stargazing at Noon
Shannon
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I was provided with the ARC by netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

This is a beautiful book of poetry with most poems being analogy of space, stars, the moon or the tides. The poems are of love, loss, death and grief and are so well written. Most of the poetry is quiet long but it is a wonderful read.

"Things I learned
in this
too."
Shannon
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it

I was provided with the ARC by netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

"Things I learned from the moon: at times you may feel like a sliver of yourself. There is beauty in this too.

Justine
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amanda Torroni made me listen to classical music while reading this book. And it was an uplifting experience for me.

Stargazing at Noon was such a lyrical book for me. It had managed to blend the atmospheric and theme; the universe, kismet, fate, science, astrology, art, history, to the closest take of a slice of life. From these tales of life and blending it all together with love, loss, grief, and joy. It’s eloquence shows, nothing forced.

It was wonderfully articulate; which makes it like it is
Alissa Kowalski
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I grow up
I want to build empires
with my bare hands
just to knock them down

curtsy as they crumble
tilt my halo, crooked crown.
Novelle Novels
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 out of 5 stars
This is such a beautiful book that has so many amazing poems in it. The odes at the front of each chapter are inspiring In a way you can’t stop reading. Yes there are some poems I loved more than others but it was so gorgeous I will always recommend it.
Tiffany S
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a fan of this poet for a long time! I really love this collection and am so happy to have this copy!
Josh Dale
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trade-books
I was expecting quality poetry based off of what I read on Torroni's Instagram page prior to purchasing. She transcends the cellphone screen with captivating diction, historical references, and magnificent storytelling with metaphors and allusions worth their weight in gold. Also, I was impressed with the size and design of the book. White book with a gloss cover=lifetime of chaste wonder. Poet at heart, sticking to thematic chapbook-length poetry...someone I can fully support in their creative ...more
Ajay Sawant
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first moment I read a poem from the book online on Google I knew I had to read this book and then I received this wonderful copy from Andrews Mcmeel. I was hardly attracted at the cover of this book initially (idk how many hours I thought why it had such a plain and simple cover) but the moment I received this book I was amazed. To say this book has the best and the most magnificent cover I have ever seen, it almost made my eyes shine and stands out of my entire book pile.

After getting out
Bella
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Corley Elizabeth
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cover-love
I'm not that big on modern poetry, but one of my goals this year is to try and read more widely, so what started as me absently looking at the display section in the bookstore ended with me deciding to take a chance on Stargazing at Noon. Honestly, a good portion of the poems definitely didn't click with me—I get abstract, but some of these were too much so and seemed to make little sense—but there were other truly lovely pieces about grief and falling in love, as well as ones about ...more
Milad Sadegi
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You don't have to love reading, to appreciate a good writer who can paint images through words. You don't have to love poetry, to appreciate the milk and honey that drips through these pages as you realize Amanda is conveying all the things you've ever felt in your bones - but never knew how to say. This book is an absolute gem of a read, mostly because I feel as though theres something for everyone in it. From love and loss, to joy and pain - Amanda's words will leave you wanting to keep ...more
Kat
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK! So beautiful and leaving me stunned. This work of art coaxed out daydreams and giggles and emotions that made my heart feel overwhelmed. With philosophies, oceans, stars, planets, warmth, love, heartache, loss and so much more, I couldn't put this book down. I was reading it into the wee hours of the morning. It now sits upstairs beside my bed so I can read it every now and then. Truly gorgeous and left me feeling like I was spinning around on a warm summer night under the ...more
Kathy
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoy reading poetry or I wouldn't have requested to read an ARC of this book. Poetry is a very personal medium, and it either resonates with the reader or it doesn't. Unfortunately, I found myself in the latter category with this collection.

Every now and then a phrase would light me up with a "Yes! Wonderfully said!" but for the most part, I found the writing to be uneven and it did not draw me in as I had hoped. My personal opinion, nothing more.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Andrew McMeel
Courtney
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This collection was an enigma to me. There were some moments that took my breath away and I want to quote until my last breath. However, it was a bit of a struggle. There were some amazing highs in this book, but that made some of the lows heartbreaking. I felt like some of the poems were forced or trying too hard to make a reference or a witty phrase. Overall, it’s a definite must read, but manage your expectations. 3.5*

I received a copy from netgalley and am providing an honest and unbiased
Jennifer Leigh
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stargazing at Noon is a beautifully written collection of poetry by Amanda Torroni. I may not have been able to relate to everything she discusses, but I don’t even care because her words moved me. I can’t wait to read more by Amanda Torroni in the future.

Read the full review on Bound to Writing at https://www.boundtowriting.com/poetry...
Holly Leemaster
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found the newer addition of this book at my local Books A Million and I didn’t realize how much my soul needed this. I bookmarked so many pages. I cried. I felt the seismic activity. I was restless tonight and I devoured this book in one sitting. I felt the emotions. Thank you, Amanda Torroni, for sharing your stories.
Shannon Arputharaj
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bought
Stargazing at Noon is like a captured exhale. Like a lullaby. Like an intangible, ungraspable, nostalgic reminder of why I love poetry and why I need Amanda’s. Each poem is creatively written, as she explores using different formats, words, and sounds to describe different oceans, skies, and losses.The chapters are denoted by moon phases, and each one reads more visceral than the last. The whole thing is really beautiful; Amanda writes for people just starting to read poetry and for people who ...more
Destiny Bridwell
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. This is a collection poems that got me feeling all knds of things. It had me thinking about moments in my life. I like works like this inspire and provoke something in me. It makes me feel like I have a connections to the collective of the universe. ...more
Maitha
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My friend gave me a signed copy for my birthday and I love poems; I thought I'll read a page or two before going to sleep but I ended up reading the entire thing and here's my favorite:

"Whoever said time heals all wounds
Did not have wounds like mine"
Rachel
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Some really wonderful moments in here, but not all struck a chord. I'm not crazy about where poetry is as a whole right now (from Instagram to literary - makes no difference), but this one stood out from the current crowd.
Rebekah
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
3.5 stars. While I follow Amanda Torroni on Instagram, this is my first experience reading a collection of her writings. She has an amazing way with words and creates such beautiful imagery. Received an advanced copy of the new extended version from Netgalley.
Serene
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tender, poignant, raw. A beautiful collection of poems, some of which blew me away.
Rogene Carter
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
A mix bag of overwrought and deep and insightful. I think that perhaps I encountered this collection at the wrong time.
Amanda Williams
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Her work to me felt like reading some Jack Kerouac which I do love his work.
Lori
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am not in to poetry normally. This is a fun book.
Anne Simmons
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was waiting for me at the store...found and could not put it down. Some things are meant to be. This is beautiful work...speaks to the soul as poetry should.
Alexandra
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
So beautiful. Honestly the imagery conjured is brilliant.
Lexi
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fell head over heels, breathlessly, in love with this book. The poetry is so beautifully devastating, I can’t even. So glad I stumbled upon this in a bookstore in Boston. Love love love
Jeanne
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
"i don't write
what i write
to hurt you.
- i write what I write to heal me"

This book is my first read of Amanda Torroni. It deals with love, loss, death, and grief. Her storytelling is amazing with a lot of metaphors and illusions.

I enjoyed this collection eventhough some of the poems in here, I struggled to understand because it was so hard to read like it was forced or maybe the author's thoughts were just lost in translation. But it was still a good read.

I received a copy of this from
Shahd Thani
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How did such beauty get contained in one tiny book? Mashallah! Bless her pen always

• Child of the Moon
  • Nocturnal
  • Love Looks Pretty on You
  • Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul
  • Pillow Thoughts III: Mending the Mind
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • I Am Her Tribe
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • The Truth About Magic