Start by marking “The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One” as Want to Read:
The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One

The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One

(Women Are Some Kind of Magic #3)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  6,901 ratings  ·  1,228 reviews
Goodreads Choice Award-winning poet and USA TODAY bestselling author Amanda Lovelace presents the mermaid’s voice returns in this one — the third and final installment inher “women are some kind of magic” series, featuring a foreword from Lang Leav and 13 guest poems from leading voices in poetry such as Nikita Gill, KY Robinson, and Orion Carloto.

The mermaid is known for
Published March 5th 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One, please sign up.
Mia (A Happy Little Bookworm) I would say that those in the middle to upper end of that age range should be able to enjoy and understand this book thoroughly (i.e. 14-17). The…moreI would say that those in the middle to upper end of that age range should be able to enjoy and understand this book thoroughly (i.e. 14-17). The messages are very important and relevant currently, and for this reason I would hesitate to deny anyone the joy of reading this book. That being said, it can be hard to read at times and the author speaks from a very personal place so I think it depends greatly on the maturity of the children.(less)

·  6,901 ratings  ·  1,228 reviews

Start your review of The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡ (semi-hiatus)
2.5 / 5 stars

and that
fricking
annoys
me.

- how can you call it a poetry when you don’t even know how to write one.

The Princess Saves Herself in This One (#1) : review
are still
toppling
mountain
ranges.

- you possess avalanches.

A powerful conclusion to this beautiful poetry collection series. I totally would not mind if Lovelace decided to continue these books, I adore them so much.

I know this type of poetry is not everyone's cup of tea but I have come to love it and it's all thanks to Amanda Lovelace and her words.

____
My reviews for:

#1 The princess saves herself in this one
#2
Jessica
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I received an e-ARC of this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I give this book 3.5 stars which rounds up to 4.

This book is really similar to the other two books in this series. So if you liked those, then you’ll probably like this one. That being said, I still think her first book is the strongest.

The subject matter of the book is very timely. A large majority of the poems center on the Me Too movement.

description

The theme of this book is mermaids/The Little Mermaid story.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]

making me
afraid to
stay
or go.

After how much I struggled with the middle book in this 'trilogy', I wasn't sure I wanted to read this newest and final installment, but friends' reviews were so positive that I finally decided I had to give it a try, and I'm glad that I did. I still feel like Lovelace's poetry lost
C.G. Drews
This is the last in the poetry series and I quite liked reading them altogether and seeing how they fit and complimented each other. I do feel the 1st one was my fave. This one was very raw and heartbreaking and my heart goes out to all the contributors. The writing felt a little disconnected to me (perhaps because it wasn't a sole author this time?) but like go people being vulnerable and the #metoo movement. ...more
Rachel Reads Ravenously
2 stars

It's really weird that I didn't like this book because I am absolutely gaga over the first two books in this series. Both were 5 star reads. But while those felt powerful and deeply moving, this one was repetitive to me and I found myself rolling my eyes.

Maybe this book caught me in a bitchy time, but this third book felt convoluted and fake to me. Maybe I'll reread it in the future and see if I just have a case of the crankies or something....

Follow me on Facebook Blog Instagram
Gabby
This is the third poetry collection in this authors “women are some kind of magic” series and this one was good, but nothing really stood out to me. Poetry is so subjective and my favorite poetry collection from her is still the first collection about the princess. Her poetry is very whimsical and fairy-tale inspired, and she talks a lot about the abuse the experienced and how she overcame that abuse. This collection is good, but it’s not my favorite.

This was the second poetry collection I
Calista
I enjoyed this entry much more in this series than the last book. I understand the point of the last book. When we are hurt, we need to get our pain out, but I wasn’t in that space. This is the healing book. Here, there are again good men in the world, and still there are one’s that hurt.

Amanda’s writing style is the same and being the 3rd book, the poetry is becoming a little stale. This is the last of the series and I think that’s probably a good thing. I did find some interesting poems in
helena
your voice could sink spaceships.

i really like amanda lovelace’s style and i just love the way this trilogy worked with the given themes to talk about very important issues. i love how her poems are so simple and say so much. at the same time, they have some king of magic (haha) inherent to them.
and it happened again with this one. but unfortunately, i’m taking one star because i felt she lost her grip with the mermaid theme half way in. those poems by other poets looked completely out of place
Aliza Stump
Jan 15, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A third one? Yes, SIGN ME UP, please!
Konstantin
Believe me, no one is as surprised as I am with this rating. I strongly disliked Lovelace's first book of poetry, finding the verses generic, shallow and just all around uninspiring; the second one I found better on the aesthetic part, but resented the strong misandric undertones; this one, however, was just up to my liking.

The calmer tone of this one, combined with themes of sexual harassment and self-acceptance woven through the poems in ways both subtle and not so subtle, suited me just fine.
Erin
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley and Andrews McNeel Publishing for an epub in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. Quotes are taken from the ARC and may not be on the same page number as the final edition

As an active member of the Goodreads community, I have been eyeing Amanda Lovelace's poetry works for some time. The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One is the conclusion to her Women Are Some Kind of Magic trilogy. Much like ee cummings, lovelace writes all her
Julia Sapphire
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: verse, 2019-releases, 2019
Big thank you to Andrews McMeel Publishing for sending me an early copy!!

For some background, I love Amanda Lovelace's books. This series starts with Princess and next is Witch and Mermaid is the finale (These are obviously short forms of the titles just an FYI). The previous two books are some of my favorite poetry collections ever. I have given them both high ratings and I love the messages in them. These collections do have a significant amount of intense content and messages in them
Janani(ஜனனி)
i'm convinced that the poetry will sing to you only when your soul is on the verge of falling apart. dare i say, i didn't feel anything now because my soul is kinda being cheery to the extent i hate it?
Cyrus Parker
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely fitting way to end the women are some kind of magic series.
Natasha
Review also on my blogTwitterBookstagram

You know that disappointed underwhelming feeling after reading a really lacklustre book? That’s how I felt about The Mermaids Voice. It was a lacklustre disappointment.

I personally really loved The Princess Saves Herself and I also enjoyed the followup The Witch Doesn’t Burn.

Maybe I saw this disappointment coming after To Make Monsters Out of Girls. I genuinely like modern poetry, however I find the Lovelace’s work feels extremely… repetitive. The
Sophia Hanson
So honored to have a poem in this gorgeous collection alongside some of my favorite poets! Lift each other up, loves.
Brittney Andrews (beabookworm)
Me, pretending to be a mermaid:
description

FYI: This is the final installment to Amanda Lovelace's Women Are Some Kind of Magic series, and I freaking loved it. The author poured her heart and soul and her voice into this one!

I don't know about you guys, but I *always* used to pretend that I was a mermaid when I was younger - whether it was in the pool, at the beach, bath time, the living room floor (wait, I might of been doing the worm). Anyways. Somewhere along the way many of us lost or had our voices
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you Netgalley and Andrew McMeel Publishing for sending a review copy in exchange for an honest review

The final book to join Amanda Lovelace’s collection Women Are Some Kind of Magic. I’ve read the previous two books and if I’m being honest I didnt enjoy them as much as I wanted to. This one on the other hand I liked more. I love how she includes trigger warnings in the beginning of her books, and I really appreciate how she deals with different themes. I loved the guest poems that she had
Renata

victorious
in
Rae
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
the mermaid's voice returns in this oneby Amanda Lovelace is the third and final poetry book in the "women are some kind of magic series."

I enjoyed readingthe mermaid's voice returns in this one. This was my first foray into Amanda Lovelace's poetry! Unfortunately, while I liked the poems, I can't say they blew me away.

I did appreciate the emotion behind the poems and the cadence and rhythm that some of them had while reading them out loud. My favorites:

"hooks encrusted in sand."
"shrinking
Prashasti
Each morning before school my mother did not feed me breakfast.
She fed me wisdom.
First, she brushed my hair with a fork.
Soon after, braids fell to my waist as she kissed the top of my head, whispering against it,
"now, don't you ever lean out of your window, and let it fall down.
You never know who will show up and climbclimbclimb on up.
Heed my advice: Even villains will go all dizzy and heart-eyed for you.
Do not ever become fooled by such trickery.
-Mother knows best

Couldn't actually connect to it
Lauren James
[Gifted]
A solid follow up to her other poetry, This is a quick and thoughtful read. It made me think. I love her approach to twisting fairy tales into feminist messages
Bookphenomena (Micky)
My first poetry by Amanda Lovelace (and others) but not my last. This was a powerful read, heartfelt and poignant. I felt like a bystander, powerless to help but willing to witness.

I loved the way the author was able to interweave the hideous hurt with restoration, healing and positivity, in just the right amounts. Nothing about any of the prose was flippant, even the healing better times were impactful.

I would call this inspirational but real. I was moved, I felt the emotions and I enjoyed
Cora Tea Party Princess
I think I'm a little bit disappointed? I loved the first two volumes so much, but something about this one just fell flat. It would have been two stars if it wasn't for the excellent contributors, and that makes me sad.

Maybe it's just me?
Leona  Carstairs
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I read this in Barnes and Noble while waiting for my parents. It really focuses on healing from sexual violence which I think is very important. ...more
Mariah
"i watched
you watching me
wane. now, you have
no fucking choice
other than to
watch me
-become full.

Okay. I struggled a lot with this. I wanted to look at this collection objectively and in an isolated manner, however it is part of a series, so I do think it's fair to bring up the previous two titles.

We fought dragons with the princess in The Princess Saves Herlself in This One.
We used the fire designed to scorch us back against those who would watch us burn in The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One.
I
Emma
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it

The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One is the last book in Lovelace's Women Are Some Kind of Magic series.
I really appreciated how the author dealt with the theme of sexual assault and being both a victim and a survivor. I think it was really well done and I enjoyed all the poems about healing.

i don't write
what i write
to hurt you.

- i write what i write
to heal me.

This collection also
Dannii Elle
I'm not going to provide a star rating as it feels odd to assign a number to this collection, given how personal its contents were, for me personally. It didn't impact me in quite the same way as the previous series instalments but I appreciate how raw and unfiltered this collection was.
Erika Sarutobi
Not as powerful as the previous two.

RTC.

• Pumpkinheads
  • She Just Wants to Forget
  • When You Ask Me Where I'm Going
  • Light Filters In: Poems
growing up a word-devourer & avid fairy tale lover, it was only natural that amanda lovelace began writing books of her own, & so she did. when she isn't reading or writing, she can be found waiting for pumpkin spice coffee to come back into season & binge-watching gilmore girls. (before you ask: team jess all the way). the lifelong poetess & storyteller currently lives in new ...more

Women Are Some Kind of Magic (3 books)
  • The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1)
  • The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)
“becoming
ask for
help.

- therapy session no. 1”
7 likes
“be stronger than the villains. be every storybook heroine come to life.” 6 likes