Start by marking “Us Against You” as Want to Read:
Us Against You

Us Against You

(Björnstad #2)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  56,452 ratings  ·  7,829 reviews
The #1 New York Times bestselling author of A Man Called Ove and Beartown returns with an unforgettable novel “about people—about strength and tribal loyalty and what we unwittingly do when trying to show our boys how to be men” (Jojo Moyes).

Have you ever seen a town fall? Ours did.
Have you ever seen a town rise? Ours did that, too.

A small community tucked deep in the forest, Beartown is home to to/>Have/>Have
Audio CD, Unabridged edition, 15 pages
Published March 5th 2019 by Simon Schuster Audio (first published August 21st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Us Against You, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Libbi
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lori I think "Us Against You" is the better book. But you absolutely have to read "Beartown" first or you won't understand a lot of "Us Against You." It is…moreI think "Us Against You" is the better book. But you absolutely have to read "Beartown" first or you won't understand a lot of "Us Against You." It is impossible to separate the two, one is a sequel to the other and there are many characters and multiple plotlines you must be familiar with when you open "Us Against You."(less)

·  56,452 ratings  ·  7,829 reviews

Susanne  Strong
5 Gut-Wrenching, Sock-it-to Me Stars!

Some of my favorite people, live in one of the most memorable of towns and they wear their hearts on their sleeves. Most however, wear their hearts on their jerseys. Their Hockey Jerseys that is. They used to be all the same. Then something happened. Something bad. And now Beartown and all of its residents are divided. Now it’s Bear v. Bull: Beartown v. Hed. And their hearts, as well as ours have been torn apart. “Us Against You.”

Peter Andersso
James
Where does one begin when it comes to describing an author whose books constantly amaze you to the point you cannot easily put them down for any reason other than an emergency? Fredrik Backman has struck gold with the second book in the Beartown series, Us Against You. After I survived a book daze last year with the series debut, I read another of his works which catapulted Backman into my top 5 of favorite authors. Once I learned he had written a second book in the Beartown series (they are all translated ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-publisher
Have you ever seen a town fall? Ours did. We'll end up saying that violence came to Beartown this summer, but that will be a lie; the violence was already here. Because sometimes hating one another is so easy that it seems incomprehensible that we ever do anything else.

Have you ever loved a book so much you think your heart might explode? That's precisely what I feel might happen each time I pick up a Backman novel set in the world of Beartown. The style of writing is wholly his own, but the
Matthew
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Backman crawled in my chest and found each heartstring.

Then he pulled . . .

Then he pulled harder . . .

And, now, I am a blubbering mess!

This is a more than worthy sequel for the fantastic novel, Beartown. If you are looking for a duology that IS humanity and IS characters, this is it! Storytelling, storytelling, did I mention STORYTELLING! Welcome to about 50 different lives – not all of whom you will agree with, but in the end you will likely sympathize or empathize with.

I have had some great experiences with Backman. My last on
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
“Communities are like ice, not water. They don’t suddenly flow in new directions because you ask them to, they change centimeter by centimeter, like glaciers. Sometimes they don’t move at all”.

When winter comes to Beartown and Hed....everyone talks about Hockey. Some people support the red team - others the green team. Both teams have had their share of wins.

I thought “Beartown” was *exceptional* - Backman’s darkest most complex book — It had ‘everything’: incredible stories about each of the
Meredith
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Emotionally Gutting

Us Against You is the emotionally charged sequel to Beartown. Hockey still rules, but emotions are high, the town is falling apart, new friendships are formed and new enemies are made. There’s also a new coach, a new villain, and a new love connection. Secrets are exposed, friendships crumble, and sadly some characters don’t survive. Most significantly, hatred has spread its ugly wings leading to horrible consequences. But in the end, love conquers.

I just finished re
Edward Lorn
Us Against You is an emotional rollercoaster with some of the best and worst storytelling elements on display. What I liked about the book is simple: it made me feel; it made me cry. What I didn't like about it is far more complicated, so let's discuss that in greater detail.

While I did love the characters in this book, I only think that's the case because I got to know them so well in the first book, Beartown, which I gave a glowing five-star review to. In Beartown, the book seemingly dragged for 60 pag
Paromjit
Beartown is a town struggling to survive, left shell shocked and reeling after traumatic events swept through it with the force of a destructive emotional hurricane. We return to the place where hockey is loved with a religious passion, defining the community identity, with returning old and new characters. Any lover of sport will love and relate to this story, and those readers that are not should know that whilst this is ostensibly about hockey, it is in reality a tale of all that it is to be ...more
Julie
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Us Against You by Fredrik Backman is a 2018 Atria Books publication.

A sullen, yet optimistic examination of a town suffering an identity crisis and the residents who must learn to adjust to a new normal-

While many of us became fans of Fredrik Backman because of his unique ability to weave whimisical stories, featuring quirky, but loveable characters. This method of presentation often softened the darker tones. With Beartown, however, Backman didn’t sugarcoat the darker elements and created a
Angela M
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Beartown is a hockey town by a forest in Sweden, but that won’t tell you much unless you know what it means to be a hockey town where lives are dominated by the sport and the thought of losing the team is devastating to so many. In “Beartown”, Backman says: “Why does anyone care about hockey?...Because it tells stories. " Indeed it tells stories once again in this sequel. This town feels familiar - the place in the forest, this hockey town , a community of parents and children still reeling from
Larry H
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
"...we only pretend hockey is complicated, because it isn't really. When you strip away all the nonsense surrounding it, the game is simple: everyone gets a stick, there are two nets, two teams. Us against you."

Frederick Backman's Beartown (see my review) was probably the best or second-best book I read last year. This story of a Swedish town that is literally obsessed with hockey, and which face
jessica
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
'beartown' is one of my absolute favourite books (see my review here), so its only fitting that 2018 is barely halfway over and i already know ‘us against you’ will be the best book i will have read this year, if ever. with each book being one half of a beautifully broken heart.

fredrik backman is one of the most talented storytellers i have ever read and this book is proof. there is so much strength and power in his writing. his words are so rich and full, that i can only read so much at a time because there is ju
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
*NOW AVAILABLE*

I have read all of Fredrik Backman’s books and Beartown was probably my favorite. I know I’m in the minority here but “Us Against You” just didn’t elicit the same emotions for me, it was a bit of a disappointment. After I read Beartown I felt as though it was complete story and so I was a little surprised that the author chose to revisit the town again.

The first 30% of the book dealt pretty much with getting the reader caught up with the characters from Bea
Kendall
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 gut wrenching bang bang stars!!

I fell in love with Beartown last year by Backman and had the highest expectations for Us Against You. Well.. ..my friends I have to tell you... don't worry your pretty little heads because Backman delivers exceptionally well ONCE again.

Backman delivers a raw and beautifully well executed novel that makes you feel vulnerable in ways you can't imagine! Oh my gosh.... I was a sobbing mess with a SEVERE case of goosebumps upon the final page of this boo
Diane S ☔
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was the best of times and the worst of times. This is a fitting quote for what is going on in Beartown since the end of the last book. Beartown has lost many of their best hockey players to Hed, their own hockey team has lost most of their support and sponsor money. But then, seemingly a miracle, a politician gets involved, new factory, new someone, new coach, a woman. Peter gets to keep his job as General Manager. Politics and sports should never mix, as many will find out by books end.
Theresa Alan
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“It’s so easy to get people to hate each other. That’s what makes love so impossible to understand. Hate is so simple that it always ought to win. It’s an uneven fight.”

I hadn’t read Beartown, so the beginning of this book threw me because I didn’t realize it was the second in a series. Once I got into the characters that make up the town and the hockey team that the town revolves around, it stood on its own just fine. For much of the last fifth of this novel, I had tears in my eyes.
Brandice
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well Backman, you’ve done it again! For the second time, I’m fully invested in Beartown, its residents and of course, its hockey team.

After everything that happened in Beartown, Maya, Benji, Amat, and all the other characters we grew to know, attempt to move forward, which often times (as in this case), is easier said than done.

”...this summer he learns that people will always choose a simple lie over a complicated truth, because the lie has one unbeatable advantage: the truth always has to stick to w
Charlotte May
"The truth about most people is as simple as it is unbearable; we rarely want what is best for everyone; we mostly want what's best for ourselves."

Thoroughly enjoyed my return to Beartown in this sequel. I didn't love it quite as much as the first book, but I loved seeing all my favourite characters again - Benji, Ana, Maya, Peter, Kira, Leo, Ramona, Sune and so many more.
Beartown is reeling after the events of book 1. Violence is still rife, and the hatred between Beartown and its neigh
Carol
4+ Stars

No hockey in BEARTOWN? It just can't be!

We all know hockey is an addiction in this small failing community....the only thing really, except for snow, icy roads and a thick (sometimes dangerous) forest where one can hide....or discover secrets. It's still a hard life hereabouts....harder for some after the scandal....it affected so many....some took their revenge....others are still hurting....and some so burned with hatred, they now turn to violence.

In the sequel, US AGAINST YOU Fredrik Backman delves way down deep into theviolence.

In

Stars

Cheri
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
!! NOW AVAILABLE !!

”In his final season, on his final night
Buddy and a Finn goon were pegged for a fight
Thirty seconds left, the puck took a roll
And suddenly Buddy had a shot on goal

“The goalie committed, Buddy picked his spot
Twenty years of waiting went into that shot
The fans jumped up, the Finn jumped too
And coldcocked Buddy on his follow through
The big man crumbled but he felt all right
'Cause the last thing he saw
wa
/>
❄️Nani❄️
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: near-favourites
I can honestly say I can now die a happy person.

An emotional mess, yes. But happy nonetheless that I’ve finally read my long awaited book.
Paula Kalin
BEARTOWN was one of my favorite books read in 2017. I was a hockey fan back in my college days and hockey was THE powerhouse during my stay there.

Backman’s US AGAINST YOU is a terrific sequel. For me, not as good, but a wonderful audiobook to listen to. Great small-town storytelling, controversial subjects which were handled very well, and exceptional in-depth character analysis. Quite an emotional book. I enjoyed revisiting characters from the first book.

What did I miss?
JanB
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Old characters reappear and new characters are introduced in this book, the follow-up to last year's phenomenal hit, Beartown. There's drama, marital difficulties, bullying, rivalries, political machinations, and heartbreak. This book may not have the impact of Beartown but fans will have much to enjoy with this new novel. Backman excels at insights into human nature and writing characters that are easy to care for.

The writing is beautiful with excellent character development. Many p
Marialyce
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
At first before writing this review, I thought I should let my thoughts settle and mull things over a bit. However, after thinking about it, I decided to take the plunge and write of my feelings for the extremely popular book. Looking at the ratings, there seems to be very few who do not believe in the validity of this tale and although I have many misgivings about this book, I do feel there was merit in its telling.

What I liked most were the people who stood by one another. Through
Erin
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, series, kindle
5 fantastically wild bear chants to raise the rink roof

Beartown was one of my favorite books of 2017 and so it comes as no surprise that book two in the Swedish hockey town trilogy was highly anticipated and it didn't disappoint. Like its predecessor, I was hooked from the very beginning. The little town thought that the worst had already happened but it seems fate isn't done with them yet. For maximum enjoyment I would encourage future readers to read Beartown first to fully understand the characters
Bianca
This is the sixth Fredrik Backman book I read. He’s become one of my favourite writers, so it’s always exciting to read something new from him.

Us Against You continues to delve into the lives of some of Beartown’s inhabitants. We are acquainted with many of them from his previous novel, Beartown (also known as Scandal in other countries).

Again, at the centre of this novel we have the Beartown Hockey Team manager – Peter Andersson, his lawyer wife, Kira, their kids, Maya, 16 and Leo, 12. What h/>Us
may ❀
book #5 in my fredrick backman binge

my soul?? is shattered??

my goodness, this book, the writing, the characters, the development, the pain, the ending.
backman is an absolute writing legend.

what could i possibly say about this book that hasn't been said?? literally nothing bc im an incoherent, blubbering mess right now

damn, i'm emotional and i'm so invested in this strange, wayward, town and its inhabitants that just //are//

------------------
Arah-Lynda
You come out at night
That's when the energy comes
And the dark side's light
And the vampires roam
You strut your rasta wear
And your suicide poem
And a cross from a faith
That died before Jesus came
You're building a mystery

Sarah McLachlan

Take a look around. It is easy to see that this story is a big hit with readers. And it is easy to see why. It is after all, a great human interest tale that is very well told.

So why the middle of the road rati
Brenda -Traveling Sister host of The Traveling Friends
Us Against You has been on my NG shelve for quite some time. I loved Beartown and it is one of my favorite books. So why did it take me so long to read this one I really don’t know. I like to think maybe it had to do with the timing. Sometimes you just have that special book that seems like you are waiting for the perfect time. Well, I read this one just at the perfect time because I read this one in an Instagram Group read and shared this one with some wonderful ladies. We shared a great discus ...more
Rachel
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an answer to a question I posed on GR regarding the structure of Swedish hockey team structure.

Contributed by Jacob:
As a Swede I can confirm the entire structure of organized team sports is very different to American.

There is indeed a professional adult league in Sweden, which is organized into multiple tiers (divisions) based on historic performance. Salaries vary but on the highest levels it's similar to what a regular 9-5 job would pay, more for the top players. Players

• The Underground Railroad
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Every Note Played
  • Tell Me More: Stories about the 12 Hardest Things I'm Learning to Say
  • A Place for Us
  • Mios blues (Martin Benner, #2)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • The Clockmaker's Daughter
  • Den röda adressboken
  • 438 dagar
  • Night of Miracles (Mason, #2)
  • Girls Burn Brighter
  • There There
  • This is How It Always Is
  • Ginny Moon
  • The Huntress
  • The Secrets Between Us
Fredrik Backman is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of A Man Called Ove (soon to be a major motion picture starring Tom Hanks), My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry, Britt-Marie Was Here, Beartown, Us Against You, as well as two novellas, And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer and The Deal of a Lifetime. Things My Son Needs to Know About the World, his first work ...more

Björnstad (2 books)
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
“Everyone is a hundred different things, but in other people’s eyes we usually get the chance to be only one of them.” 89 likes
“He’s twelve years old, and this summer he learns that people will always choose a simple lie over a complicated truth, because the lie has one unbeatable advantage: the truth always has to stick to what actually happened, whereas the lie just has to be easy to believe.” 54 likes