Start by marking “The Dragon Sage (The Dragon Marked Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Sage (The Dragon Marked Chronicles #1)

The Dragon Sage

(The Dragon Marked Chronicles #1)

A mesmerizing blend of breath-taking action and incredible sorcery. Fans of Throne of Glass and A Game of Thrones will not be able to put down this epic fantasy adventure.

Standing alone in a dark cell, Alec waits for the death he cannot seem to escape. The pungent smell of sweat and blood are permanently absorbed into his scarred skin. Though he can no longer hear them,
Published September 17th 2018 by Jay Lynn

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Sage, please sign up.

Start your review of The Dragon Sage (The Dragon Marked Chronicles #1)
Mina
Jan 01, 2021 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Mina by: Goodreads
Shelves: dnf
It's just so fanfiction, it parodies itself. DNF'd at 40% because it goes far past YA tropes into wish-fulfilment.

Context: Yes, it's a fantasy setting, but they have gladiator fights straight out of The Gladiator and the characters have anglo-saxon names and at one point address each other as 'Mr.'. To clarify, the gladiator scenes are pretty interesting. Too bad they're over so soon and the rest of the book begins.

POV: As much as I dislike having pairs of two chapters narrate the same events as
Maegan Daugherty
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

When I picked up this book, I had no idea what to expect. What I found was an expertly thought out story that caught my attention from the first page and drew me quickly towards the last.

A book is truly a masterpiece to me when one can be drawn into the storyline and feel a part of it. One can have all the editing in the world and still not make me care for the characters. But oh, not this book. I was there when Alec hurt. I cheered when he finally started opening up to his friends. I la
Hugh Floyd
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow just WOW!

I was very surprised at how enjoyable this book was to read. I read it on Kindle unlimited and after reading went immediately went to purchase. Anxiously awaiting book two. I will be re reading this book again in the future.
Liz Reinhart
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Entertaining

What I love so much about this book is that it is not pretentious and does not overly try to sway the reader one way or another. It’s an honest fantasy novel, period. And that is what is so amazing about it. It doesn’t try to be emotionally shopping or over the top, Michael bay explosions everywhere, or philosophically engaging. It’s just a good down to earth bare-bones unapologetic fantasy novel. And I sorely needed it. The characters are well written, the plot is engaging in curio
DMS385
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Great story BUT

The story was fantastic and kept me reading even though it was painfully difficult to work through all the errors. I will usually overlook some of even a modest amount of grammatical mistakes and don't like to read all the reviews that harp on some self published authors for not having better editing. In this case I just couldn't not say something. The amount of misspellings, missing, and wrong use of words was overwhelming. It wasn't like it was only a few times a chapter or even
Jordin Butler
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hard to put down!

Great start to an interesting series. The main character doesn’t start off weak and frail as some do in these types of series. He is seasoned, he is strong, but he is just. He grows on you easily. I have two complaints, however. The main character’s love interest is a bit of a “damsel in distress”, cookie-cutter, type. Almost makes you wish they don’t end up together, especially since there are plenty of strong, warrior-type, and much more interesting women along the way. Second
Jason W
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not terrible not great

This book has promise, but there several major flaws. It definitely needs more editing to correct grammatical errors and incorrect word choices. The plot, character development, worldbuilding and magic system all need more depth.

The magic system has few rules, and mages are way overpowered.

Also the author has random people show up in random places. And random events occur. For instance 300 soldiers attack the palace. Somehow they appear out of thin air outside the ballroo
Ray
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fantastic story

I am not much into multiple person perspectives but the flow of this book actually is rather enjoyable. It sticks to the MC point of view mainly with the addition of other characters views adding to the main story is well done.

The plot is a nice pace and you can see when the profecy integration starts. This is the point the story start to hit is stride.

I give it 4 stars because the is a real lack of a timeline and or gives off the feeling of inconsistency for me.
Jessie Gilliam
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dragons, high fantasy, and swords and sorcery!

I generally dislike male main characters written by women. However, although very cliché I like the characters in this novel. Almost more of a love story than anything else, the characters are very artsy typical of a paragon of their genders. The men are super strong and either noble were evil. The women or seeking the loves of their lives… that said, I enjoyed this book. And I do eagerly await the next installment. If you have some free time take a
Michael Robbins
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Fun Book

I'm the type of reader that if the book gets boring or if the plot just lays there I will quit reading the book does not matter if I'm on the first chapter or the last couple. If I finish a book it is good the last sentence. WELL this book was good to the last sentence. Just the perfect (IMOA) amount of action and story.The characters were well developed so you had some feelings for them.
I'm going to get the second book in the series and get to reading. Hope you will give this book a
Hyo Cruz
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb! This book checked every box I have for an idea fantasy read: medieval setting, gladiator, an underdog MC, nobility love interest, magic, swords and sorcery. For fans of the Trysmoon Saga, Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth and all the other epic fantasy, I cannot recommend this book enough.

I sincerely hope the author continues to write this tale, so much so that I joined Goodreads just to make this review!

Thank you Jay Lynn, this was an outstanding read.
Chris Kirkby
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic beginnings

This book is a slow but brilliant burn as we bounce predominantly between the two main characters as they grow together and sometimes apart. The pace and plot gets a little dicey towards the end in what feels like a bit of a panic ending in a place that leaves a lot of threads untethered. Until that point though I couldn’t it put it down and hope we get to delve more into this intriguing world soon!
Curtis
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun Fantasy Action

A nice and often sweet “traditional” fantasy action romp, where the rough-hewn MC is much more than he seems, and the love of a good woman is worth many hardships. The plot is a fun narrative, and even if some twists don’t surprise you, they still prompt a smile or two to read about them. Overall a welcome and filling generally light story reasonably edited (or perhaps re-edited) suitable for all ages. Recommended.
Pixel
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A truly delightful read. I felt the characters were well developed, as was the world in which it takes place. I would have given this 4.5 or 5 stars, but while the author's prose was very well done, there were quite a few places where improper homonyms were used. A little more polishing/proofreading and this would have easily been a 5-star in my opinion. ...more
Matthew
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting

4 out of 5 stars due to some misused words("band" instead of "banned ", etc). Some scenes were confusing due to changing view points. Also, some scenes seemed rushed or artificially created to complete a sub plot. Overall, I would recommend reading this book and any following ones in the series.
Tim
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good premise and flow

It was a very good story that has a lot of potential. It was an enjoyable read. It would of been a five star rating, but just a few to many misplaced or misused words and phrases. I will pick up book 2 when it is released as I believe the author will continue to improve the story
Sam Jackson
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book. I am an avid reader and love to find great books that have an actual plot, believable characters, and grab your attention from the first paragraph throughout the entire storyline. I found just that with this gem. I have been searching for any information on the next book in the series and hope that it is forthcoming soon.
Laurie Rankin
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
It has promise

Whilst the story line is interesting enough, the spelling and punctuatiom errors are numerous and the mixed colloquialisms and idioms are frustrating to read. Please, get someone to edit the work. There is promise in this however, there is a distinct lack of maturity to the writing, but in time to come it could be quite good.
Chanel
Oct 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I can usually read a book in one or two days, but this took three days. The characters could have been built upon better. The times skips spaced out more. And the mention of “September” and “French braid” took me out of the world the author was trying to establish. Overall, this was a good book. 3.5 stars
Melissa Jane
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exciting story that continued to keep me engrossed, an ending that made me desire more and a wonderful world full of lifelike characters. Besides, dragons. Who doesn't want to read a book about dragons? I will be eagerly awaiting the second book. Highly recommended. ...more
Shad Pease
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Grrr

The story is refreshing and exceptional. The idea are novel. The writing definitely needs to be proofread. I hope someone will do so for the next book in the series or your readers will be horribly disappointed. REALLY liked the story tho, and I hope to see i t continue.
Will Meredith
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When's the sequel coming?

Great read for any high fantasy fans, I started this book at 10am on Sunday morning and finished it just before dinner. I couldn't put it down. This book falls in within the class of eragon, painkiller, and 13th Palladian
Jeremy Patrick
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read

The inly issue i have with this book is the way it switches viewpoints and the way days and weeks pass between paragraphs instead of chapters. It could be way more filled out than it is. Still... awesome story. A ton of good ideas here. Lookin forward to the next one.
sharon g. stoddard
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can’t wait for book 2

I enjoyed the adventure and hope book 2 will be available quickly. I share titles of books with coworkers and will recommend this one. I only hope there won’t be a long period of time between releasing it and the next part of the series.
Suzanne D
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent storyline

Unique and interesting storyline. Can’t wait for the next book in the series. Good character development. I felt each one was real and their motives and decisions made sense within the story.
Kathryn Gotcher
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

This was such a great book! Pacing, world-building, character development are all there in spades! I can’t wait to see what happens to Alec in the next book!
Johnathan
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow

I can't wait for the next one. I love the characters and the way the words flow. I hope for many more books to come. Like 50 or so.
Gale McNamee
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Grabbed my attention right from the start did not want to put it down. Looking for the next installment. Wish that it. Was out now
Cheryl
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read.

This was an awesome read. The character development was well written. I can’t wait to see what the next book holds for us.
Raymond Bates
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story

Loved the book. The story drew you in and held in tight, the characters were believable. I look forward to the next one.
Goodreads Librari...: Create series 2 12 Jul 06, 2020 04:09AM

• Dark Wolf's Awakening (Alpha Rising #1)
  • Reborn (The Battlemage Trilogy Book 1)
  • Fulcrum of Light (Catalyst Book 2)
  • Awakening (Histories of Drakmoor #1)
  • Archmagister
  • Primal's Wrath (The Magician's Brother, #6)
  • Wizard's Alley
  • Ghosts of the Erlyn (Catalyst Book 3)
  • Into Vushaar (Histories of Drakmoor Book 2)
  • The King's Sorcerer (Jon Oklar, #1)
  • The Magician's Brother (The Magician's Brother, #1)
  • Heart's Darkness (The Magician's Brother, #5)
  • Home Sweet Home (Histories of Drakmoor Book 4)
  • Shadowborn's Terror (The Magician's Brother, #4)
  • Hand Made Mage
  • The Sorcerer's Loss (The Magician's Brother, #2)
  • The Seventh Knight (The Kingshield #1)
  • Prince on the Run (The Desolation Boxster Adventures Book 1)

Jay Lynn began writing stories while in junior high. Mission Stone: Quest of the Five Flames is her first published novel. When Jay isn’t penning her latest work, she enjoys walking along the beach and watching musicals. She currently lives in Pennsylvania with her family.

The Dragon Marked Chronicles (2 books)
  • Prince of Dragons (The Dragon Marked Chronicles #2)

News & Interviews