Start by marking “The Colour of Madness: Exploring BAME mental health in the UK” as Want to Read:
The Colour of Madness: Exploring BAME mental health in the UK

The Colour of Madness: Exploring BAME mental health in the UK

The Colour Of Madness is a seminal BAME led & curated anthology, comprised of poetry, fiction, essays, memoirs, and art submitted by BAME writers, academics, mental health workers, artists and those still navigating life with mental health problems. Exploring the BAME mental health experience in the UK ...more
Published August 1st 2018 by Coronet Books Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Colour of Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Colour of Madness

Start your review of The Colour of Madness: Exploring BAME mental health in the UK
↠Ameerah↞
The Colour of Madness is an outstanding anthology of art, poetry, short fiction, memoirs, and essays that centres the voices of Black, Asian, and minority ethnic groups and their experiences with mental health.

“Sometimes, we see in violet. We see in hazy realities and phantasmagoria. We see the world through restless eyes, nights of insomnia turned to lilac dawns. And sometimes, we see in red. We welcome the dawn with bloodshot eyes. Weary, we drag ourselves through the day with open wounds and
Dora Okeyo
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For those discussions we ought to have but do not. Great insights on mental health and illness, wonderful stories and heartfelt experiences. Thanks NetGalley for the eARC.
Anne
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is a collection of over 50 stories, poems and art about BAME experiences of mental health. I was shocked to read many of the experiences and statistics and this book has opened my eyes to many things I knew little about. Due to all the different stories and how much there is to think about I found it best to have a break between each one rather than sit and read in one go.
As a minor point it would have been good to have
Dania Quadri
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
V important work. Highly recommend.
Lenka
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
So so so good! It was amazing getting to read so many different stories and some of the poems will definitely stay with me for a very long time.
Emily Walker
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is not often you discover a book which has the power to halt you in your tracks, that makes you digest it as slowly and intensely as possible and invites you to furiously underline sentences and passages on every page. The Colour of Madness, edited by Dr Samara Linton and Rianna Walcott, is an “anthology of art, poetry, short fiction, memoirs and essays” exploring the experiences of BAME mental health within the UK. In short, this book is fascinating, fundamental and I cannot recommend readin ...more
Sophia Ismaa
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
True rating: 3.75*. Full RTC.
Jaime
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book

If you're mad, if you're neurodiverse, if you're BAME, or if you work with any of these identity groups, read this book. It'll plant a seed - either one of empathy or one that will help you feel seen depending on who you are.
Leeanna
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally we have an introduction to enlightenment

I felt that I could really connect with the artists that created this book as a person of colour who works within the mental health sector . This helped open my mind to the things that are happening but casually brushed under the carpet. Thank you for writing this . If there were more than five stars to rate this book I would give you a higher rating .
✰matthew✰
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
exceptional book, very insightful. i liked all of the different types of media in the one book.

i would just say, personally for me i would have preferred the information about the authors to be with their work instead of in the back of the book.
Nicole Francesca
Insightful

If you work in mental health or not you need to read this book! I read via kindle but will definitely be purchasing a print copy for my self and one for my work.
Sophie Young
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely critical reading, particularly for anyone working in areas involving mental health and care, but everyone should read it.
Kerri
« previous 1 3 next »

• Natives: Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • Zikora
  • Noughts & Crosses (Noughts & Crosses, #1)
  • They Can't Kill Us All: Ferguson, Baltimore, and a New Era in America’s Racial Justice Movement
  • Flesh and Blood: A History of My Family in Seven Maladies
  • Brit(ish): On Race, Identity and Belonging
  • The Master's Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master's House
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race
  • The Good Immigrant
  • America Is Not the Heart
  • Dark Days
  • A History of Water in the Middle East
  • The Mercies
  • The Lido
  • Symona's Still Single (Twenty in 2020)
  • The Switch