Start by marking “One Fine Mess” as Want to Read:
One Fine Mess

One Fine Mess

It’s time to show some ovaries.

All Jules Nichols wants is respect—and babies. A quiet life with a happy family. So with the help of her lover, she comes up with a plan to get rid of her abusive hubby. Once Eddie’s dead she and Wesley can live on the insurance money. Quietly. Happily.

They’ve thought everything through: alibis, misleading clues, disposing of the murder w
Published June 21st 2018 by Dunmore Books

To ask other readers questions about One Fine Mess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Fine Mess

Start your review of One Fine Mess
John
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is by a big margin the most humorous book I have read in a long time. Laugh-out-loud a few times, but a definite smile &/or roll-the eyes moments for the rest of the times - and I mean the majority of the rest of the time. The dialogue and situational humour fits in very well with Aussie humour - something quite/very unusual for an American writer.

The book centres almost 90% on just three main characters - Jules, Wesley and Cadillac Frank aka Half-Ass Frank - and involves (mainly) love and
Megan
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**I received this book from the lovely Jane over at RAR**

"Except for the freaked-out man tied up near the cobbler's bench, it was a tastefully decorated camp."

Like I mentioned above, Jane over at Ryder Author Resources sent this book over to me because she thought I would like it.  Funny story with a bad-ass female lead?  What's not to like?  Of course I loved it.  She knows me so well!

This story revolves around Jules and Wesley.  Jules was a stripper with a piece of crap husband who used to bea
Laure
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jules enlists the aid of Wesley, one of her customers at the strip club where she worked and her lover, to help her murder her abusive, criminal husband.
Hilarity ensues when these intriguing and sometimes, somewhat hapless characters are confronted with unexpected consequences of their plan and the people who suspect them.
Murder, mayhem, suspense, and fascinating twists in the plot, make this a must read. Fantastic book, I loved it!

I am voluntarily leaving an honest and non-incentivized review
Tiffany
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by this author and I thought it was really good. It kept my interest and had me turning pages trying to figure out what would happen next. There are a lot of twists and turns in the storyline. I would be interested in reading more by this author.
*I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book. This is my honest review.*
Sandy
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Typically when reading, I mentally write review outlines. This book, however, caused me to completely give up on that process to wait and see where I was led. By the end, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself wanting to rate the story higher than I felt it deserved at the midway point. Tongues better not be wagging - I know I’m not the only one assigning opinions before the story is finished.

One thing which never wavered was my love of the book’s premise. We all have those days, or even week
Nebula Castelino
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vro
"One Fine Mess" by Mark Petersen is definitely an adventure filled crime comedy. Jules Nichols is a fierce, determined woman who emerges as a protective lioness once her family is threatened. I could not help but admire her strength and resolve during the toughest of times. Wesley is an adorable goofball and very earnest. The journey of Cadillac Frank to Half-A**ed Frank (in the literal sense) was hilarious though I ended up feeling bad for him (just a little bit). There are several laugh out lo ...more
Jenna
May 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
For me, this missed its mark.

Premise sounded better than it was, author tried to imitate Carl hiassen &elmore Leonard.
Quirky characters but the story wasn’t interesting.
I just couldn’t get into it.

Thank you to hidden gems for the copy of this in return for my honest review.
Preeti Chauhan
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Heroine of this movie,Jules, is a stripper who happens to fall for and marry a real jerk,Eddie .Eddie deals in drugs,smuggling and all sorts crimes but the worst part is that he beats and batters up Jules at the drop of a hat.
Jules meets a local hero and together they plan to kill Eddie and start their own lovely family.

But the Hero turns out to be the damsel in distress with his own ghosts and Jules ends up being the saviour.
Throw in a drug addict little sister and the Mob , a sympathetic c
John
This book by Mark Petersen was definitely a fun and entertaining read about how Jules and Wesley should not commit murder. There were so many pieces on the board it was hard for them to keep track of all of them: the mob boss and his crew due to Wesley's gambling debts, an abusive husband who was the murder victim, the local police detective, the state police officers, and a deranged and drugged-out sister. And oh yeah, let's not forget the damn gun that refused to stay safely buried and away fr ...more
Bev
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read, own-it
This story is about a woman who wants to get rid of her abusive husband....forever. She also wants to have some babies with her lover. Together they plot a way to do this and get the insurance money to live off of. There are many things going on in this story. It is written well and will keep the reader's interest. Then things start going south in ways neither Jules (the wife) and Wesley (the lover) ever thought about. They had planned everything so well, and the bottom falls out when Wesley and ...more
Melissa Basnight
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
What could go wrong went wrong with everything that happened in this story. A woman is trying to get away from her abusive husband and her boyfriend owes money to the mob, her sister wants to make her life miserable and the detectives are watching her. Definitely some humorous situations that everyone in the story gets themselves into. The story kind of reminds me of Christopher Moore books with the crazy situations that the characters get into. Fun romp through their crazy lives. I received an ...more
Kay Scott
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable Read

This book makes a great story line and crazy events an enjoyable adventure. How this story was even dreamed up should be a second book.
Louise Dubord
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received a complimentary copy of this book through Voracious Readers Only. It is a violent crime comedy riddled with crazy events that always turn out badly for the protagonists. Early on, I realized that this is not my kind of humor, but I wanted to give the book a fair chance. The dialogue is often confusing, because you don’t always know who is talking. It seems a bit contrived, as the author almost stops serious predicaments to inject some humor at what feels like a weird time. The story i ...more
Les
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is pretty much a really violent screwball comedy. The plot and characters are fairly predictable. There is very little nuance. One of the issues for me is that it was difficult following the dialog because a lot of the sentences are clipped, so its hard to tell who is actually talking much of the time.

I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book, through Reading Deals, and I gave an honest review.
Chris
May 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
It must be me. I did not enjoy this book
I was told it was hilarious. I found it tedious.
The elements were there. They just didn't mesh for me.
Cath
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This books follows the confusing world of Jules and her lover Wesley and her plan to get rid of her abusive husband, Eddie. She makes a plan and believes she has everything covered, to live on the insurance money and not have to live in chaos. To have the chance to have children with her lover and live a quiet and peaceful future. No matter how good her plans, something will always go amiss, when one plans a murder.

Soon, she has loads of problems, not just the police investigating Eddie’s murde
Jim Campbell
Ange
Jan 26, 2019
Rod Grubb
Jan 10, 2019
Advanced Copies f...: Readers Wanted for Hilarious Crime Novel! 1 22 Apr 20, 2019 12:52PM

• The Fear Hunter (Agatha Bright Mysteries, #1)
  • Death By Rum Balls (The New Orleans Go Cup Chronicles #4)
  • Murder in the Manor (A Lacey Doyle Cozy Mystery #1)
  • One Haunted Evening
  • Pumpkins & Poltergeists (Confessions of a Closet Medium, #1)
  • Fool's Gold (A Sam Harris Adventure #1)
  • Secrets, Spells & Murder (Little Shop of Spells, #1)
  • The Quiche and the Dead (Pie Town Mystery #1)
  • Books and Brews (Back Room Bookstore #1)
  • Mildred in Disguise with Diamonds (Mildred Unchained #1)
  • Special Circumstances (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #1)
  • Battle of the Hexes
  • Smoke and Magic (Blood and Gold #1)
  • Murder on Black Swan Lane (Wrexford & Sloane, #1)
  • Face of Death (Zoe Prime #1)
  • Halloween Academy
  • Black Magic Kitten (Familiar Kitten Mysteries #1)
  • Whisper the Dead (The Lovegrove Legacy, #2)
Addictions counselor by day. Crime fiction addict and author by night. Any resemblance to the quirky characters in my books is, um, mostly coincidental.

I've also worked as an archaeologist, truck driver, logger, and bike-tour guide in Paris.

I attended law school for one day. That was enough.

Crime and comedy? Way more interesting.