Start by marking “Contact (Zaftan Troubles #1)” as Want to Read:
Contact (Zaftan Troubles #1)

Contact (Zaftan Troubles #1)

An alien mining ship discovers a planet loaded with rare earth minerals. The aliens, known as zaftans, plan to fill their ship with the mined minerals. Unfortunately, the planet is inhabited by intelligent beings. But what could possibly go wrong with a simple mining operation on a planet with primitive natives?
The zaftans negotiate with the government for permission to mi
ebook
Published August 15th 2018 by Strange Worlds Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Contact, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contact

Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Whoa!" the creature said to Webley. "You are an ugly sucker."

At 37 and 52 pages respectively, Contact and Confusion are speedy reads. I'm more inclined to call them chapters instead of books. In a genre where massive paperbacks two or three inches thick rule supreme, these are refreshingly easy to read. Heavy on the satire and quite witty, the story portrayed is charming and comical.

In no time at all, I was thoroughly entertained by the characters eeking out their existence in Gunderland. The
Elissa Goldman
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Zaftan Troubles: Contact is the first book in a series. It is one part sci-fi and one piece fairytale. Zaftan culture encourages exploitation, deception, and selfishness. The Zaftans find a fairy tale world that contains minerals and other resources that the Zafans need. This book is a humorous look at what alien contact could look like and reminds me of A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy as well as The Princess Bride.
Jim
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What do you get when you cross ugly, smelly, dirty aliens in control of both spacefaring technology and magic with dwarves who own battleaxes and can toss spells of their own? No, not Spelljammer, as much as I enjoyed that. You get Hank Quense's Contact: Book One of the Zaftan Troubles. You also get a rocking good time.

One thing that has always driven me slightly bonkers in fantasy fiction, going back to Tolkein, is that dwarven society is often ignored. I mean, sure Gimli played a major role in
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Contact is a mixture of science fiction and fantasy - or at least when it comes to dwarves, elves, and other magical beings.

While this book isn't long, the story is engaging and mirrors some of what we see in our world with politicians, small towns, and people in general - corruption, the hope for a better world/life, those that do not want to work or are lazy, and the search for items that will make one richer.

I appreciated the detailed descriptions of the various races - that the female dwarve
Jessica Bronder
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
We start this story out in space on a Zaftan spaceship. The Zaftan’s are a corporate driven society and this is one ship that goes out and gathers minerals from various planets. The planet they have just discovered is rich with the minerals they need the only problem is that it is inhabited. The captain has decided to negotiate with the local government to mine the area.

On the planet we learn that there are several creatures from dwarves to elves to humans. Each race has their own things going
Karen Siddall
marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2019
Hank Quense
Feb 13, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: zaftan-troubles
Hank Quense writes humorous and satiric scifi and fantasy stories. He also writes about fiction writing and self-publishing. He has published 14 books and 50 short stories along with a few dozen articles. He often lectures on fiction writing and publishing and has a series of guides covering the basics on each subject.
He and his wife, Pat, usually vacation in another galaxy or parallel universe. T